/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why Did Prophet Muhammad صلي اللّه عليه وسلم Repent?

Andaraawus
12-28-2005, 11:03 AM
Why Did Prophet Muhammad صلي اللّه عليه وسلم Repent?

Orthodox Muslims believe that all Prophets are sinless, however the objection is then why is it narrated that Prophet Muhammad صلي اللّه عليه وسلم
repented.

Allah says clearly in the Qur’an

‘Indeed Allah loves those who turn in repentance and He loves those who purify themselves (Qur’an 2:22)
Muhammad صلي اللّه عليه وسلم was simply being a humble servant and he repented because he knew that Allah loves those who repent, Indeed repentance is the door to having a deeper relationship with God.

Imam Nawawi includes this Hadith in his commentary to the renown hadith ‘actions are by intentions’ in his forty aHadith as Hadith 1:

God's Messenger صلي اللّه عليه وسلم alluded to the latter when `A'isha -- may God be well pleased with her -- upon seeing him spend the night standing in prayer until his feet were swollen, asked him: "O Messenger of God, why do you place such a burden on yourself when God has forgiven you all your sins past and those to come?" He replied: "Should I not be a thankful servant?" (Muslim, "Munafiqun" #79, Tirmidhi, "Salat" #197)
The Prophet of Islam was thankful to Allah through his repentance, even though sinless! One supplication the Prophet of Islam would regularly say is:

O Allah make me from those who repent and those who purify themselves
Those who say ‘why did he repent if he had no sin?’ let them think why did he ask Allah to be from those who repent when he already was!

Moreover the companions of the Prophet of Islam knew his humble nature and the following hadith indicates this:

Anas [r] reported that Allahs Messengerصلي اللّه عليه وسلم used to say quite frequently: O, turner of the heart, keep me steadfast upon your religion. I said: Allah's Apostle, we do affirm faith in you and in that what you have been sent with [despite this] you entertain fear about us; where upon he said : Yes, verily the hearts are between two Fingers from the Fingers of Allah and he turns them as He likes.

[Tirmizi, Ibn Majah, Mishkat-ul Masabih, translated by Abdul Hameed Siddiqui, Vol. 1, Kitab-ul-Qadr, Hadith 102, Kitab Bhavan publications.]
The Holy Prophet صلي اللّه عليه وسلم entertained fear for his Ummah so he would do such actions because he knew his responsibility as a leader – so he would do actions that Allah loves knowing the people would imitate his actions

Allah says that

You have indeed in the Apostle of Allah a beautiful example for anyone whose hope is in Allah and the Final Day (33:21)
The Holy Prophetصلي اللّه عليه وسلم was commanded by Allah to say ‘If you love Allah follow me Allah will love you and forgive you your sins. Allah is Forgiving, Merciful. (3:31)
Allah does not love sin, therefore the Prophet صلي اللّه عليه وسلمhad to be sinless in order for us to follow him but yet repent to his Lord so we would follow suit because it is we that are sinners and Muhammad صلي اللّه عليه وسلم showed us to the door of Allah through repentance.

Because

‘Indeed Allah loves those who turn in repentance and He loves those who purify themselves (Qur’an 2:22)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Andaraawus
12-28-2005, 11:56 AM
i would be greatful if somebody has a way to improve this or add to this ...many heads are better than one wasalams

Ansar Al-'Adl
12-29-2005, 01:20 AM
:sl:
I think I responded to a similar attack in this thread:
http://www.islamicboard.com/comparat...tml#post118389

:w:

------
02-07-2008, 04:55 PM
:salamext:

*BUMP!*

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sur
02-07-2008, 05:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Andaraawus
i would be greatful if somebody has a way to improve this or add to this ...many heads are better than one wasalams
This is from another thread:-

No human is sinless, including Prophets.

Q:7:23:They said: Our Lord! We(Adam & Eve) have wronged ourselves......

Q:26:82:And Who, I ardently hope, will forgive me my(Ibraheem) sin on the Day of Judgment.

Q:38:25:So We forgave him(Dawood) that; and lo! he had access to Our presence and a happy journey's end.

Q:28:16:He said: My Lord! Lo! I(Mosa) have wronged my soul, so forgive me. Then He forgave him.

Q:47:19:So know (O Muhammad) that there is no God save Allah, and ask forgiveness for thy sin and for believing men and believing women.

[Q:48:2] That God may forgive thee thy faults of the past and those to follow; fulfil His favour to thee; and guide thee on the Straight Way;

It's ONLY that Prophat Muhammad(saw) was forgiven his faults in this world while other Prophets & other humans will have to wait for DOJ(Day of Judjement) for decision on them.

Bukhari:2:19:-
Narated By 'Aisha : Whenever Allah's Apostle ordered the Muslims to do something, he used to order them deeds which were easy for them to do, (according to their strength endurance). They said, "O Allah's Apostle! We are not like you. Allah has forgiven your past and future sins." So Allah's Apostle became angry and it was apparent on his face. He said, "I am the most Allah fearing, and know Allah better than all of you do."

Bukhari:55:577:-
Narated By Abu Huraira : Allah's Apostle said, "Abraham did not tell a lie except on three occasions."

Bukhari:60:3:-
Narated By Anas : The Prophet said, "On the Day of Resurrection the Believers will assemble and say, 'Let us ask somebody to intercede for us with our Lord.' So they will go to Adam and say, 'You are the father of all the people, and Allah created you with His Own Hands, and ordered the angels to prostrate to you, and taught you the names of all things; so please intercede for us with your Lord, so that He may relieve us from this place of ours.' Adam will say, 'I am not fit for this (i.e. intercession for you).' Then Adam will remember his sin and feel ashamed thereof. He will say, 'Go to Noah, for he was the first Apostle, Allah sent to the inhabitants of the earth.' They will go to him and Noah will say:

'I am not fit for this undertaking.' He will remember his appeal to his Lord to do what he had no knowledge of, then he will feel ashamed thereof and will say, 'Go to the Khalil-r-Rahman (i.e. Abraham).' They will go to him and he will say, 'I am not fit for this undertaking. Go to Moses, the slave to whom Allah spoke (directly) and gave him the Torah.' So they will go to him and he will say, 'I am not fit for this undertaking.' and he will mention (his) killing a person who was not a killer, and so he will feel ashamed thereof before his Lord, and he will say, 'Go to Jesus, Allah's Slave, His Apostle and Allah's Word and a Spirit coming from Him. Jesus will say, 'I am not fit for this undertaking, go to Muhammad the Slave of Allah whose past and future sins were forgiven by Allah.' So they will come to me and I will proceed till I will ask my Lord's Permission and I will be given permission. When I see my Lord, I will fall down in Prostration and He will let me remain in that state as long as He wishes and then I will be addressed.' (Muhammad!) Raise your head. Ask, and your request will be granted; say, and your saying will be listened to; intercede, and your intercession will be accepted.' I will raise my head and praise Allah with a saying (i.e. invocation) He will teach me, and then I will intercede. He will fix a limit for me (to intercede for) whom I will admit into Paradise. Then I will come back again to Allah, and when I see my Lord, the same thing will happen to me. And then I will intercede and Allah will fix a limit for me to intercede whom I will let into Paradise, then I will come back for the third time; and then I will come back for the fourth time, and will say, 'None remains in Hell but those whom the Qur'an has imprisoned (in Hell) and who have been destined to an eternal stay in Hell.' " (The compiler) Abu 'Abdullah said: 'But those whom the Qur'an has imprisoned in Hell,' refers to the Statement of Allah: "They will dwell therein forever." (16.29)

God's Messenger صلي اللّه عليه وسلم alluded to the latter when `A'isha -- may God be well pleased with her -- upon seeing him spend the night standing in prayer until his feet were swollen, asked him: "O Messenger of God, why do you place such a burden on yourself when God has forgiven you all your sins past and those to come?" He replied: "Should I not be a thankful servant?" (Muslim, "Munafiqun" #79, Tirmidhi, "Salat" #197)
The Prophet of Islam was thankful to Allah through his repentance, even though sinless! One supplication the Prophet of Islam would regularly say is:
He was not sinless, he was forgiven.

Term "being sinless" can be confusing whether he never made any mistake or he did mistakes but was forgiven.

Those who say ‘why did he repent if he had no sin?’ let them think why did he ask Allah to be from those who repent when he already was!
we always ask Allah for his mercy when HE already is Merciful.!!! Still we ask again & again.

When a glass is EMPTY & I say "please empty this glass", This would be false statement since glass was ALREADY empty.

So If Prophet was "empty" of sins, or NOT capable of sins, then asking for repentence would be a similar false statement. & false statements doesn't suit Prophets. Also Allah does NOT lie, so why would HE talk of forgiving Prophet if he was already sinless,:-
[Q:48:2] That God may forgive thee thy faults of the past and those to follow; fulfil His favour to thee; and guide thee on the Straight Way;

Andaraawus
02-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Salamun Alaykum

It is important to note that whenever a Prophet seemed to have sinned, there was a great lesson involved which was a teaching placed there by Allah in order that the submissive would understand.

Did not Allah declare His intention to the angels to put man in the earth? Allah had a divine plan. Allah had the torah, injeeel and the Quran with Him in all eternity.

It is against the creed of the salaf to say that the Prophets sinned. This can be seen in Imam Abu Hanifahs al Fiqh ul Akbar.

The Prophets will be indeed questioned, but it does not mean they will get punished, nor does it mean they are guilty. We believe in a fair Allah and we should believe that the hellfire is haraam for the Prophets. If somebody was to believe otherwise then i would not like to be in those shoes.

I ask people not to bother me further on this.

I have stopped posting on this forum due to a moderator purposly destroying one of my posts which took me an hour to write. She stole my time and effort. I had some sincere questions and she destroyed them under the pretext that there is another post simular to the one i have posted. She didnt even add it to the relevant thread, just totally deleted it! which was unmoderate!

Therefore i will no longer post articles here. She will only waste my time further by destroying them too.

my apologies people,

Salamun Alaykum

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.