/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Does it ever happen to you?

Khaldun
02-18-2005, 03:18 AM
:sl:

Does this ever happen to you?

You are the practising guy/girl in the family (well ok the whole family is good alhamdulilah) and then along come cousins from far far away, who dont no NOTHING about islam, and when you try to tell them that this and that is a sin then they start calling you "Shaikh" or making fun of you...and sometimes the uncles and aunts can be worse lol. has anybody experianced this?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
h1jabi_sista
02-18-2005, 11:38 AM
dont take much notice of it, that happens to me sometimes and it used to get me really irritated but think about it...its hardly an insult!! ;)

Genius
02-18-2005, 11:57 AM
Yeh i used to, and i used to make dua for Allah to smite them, they wern't smited so i stopped making dua.

Uma Rayanah
02-18-2005, 02:19 PM
nop... nooo....

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Far7an
02-18-2005, 02:21 PM
Yes akhee, i know what you mean. But Alhamdulillah it has never discouraged me from talking to them more about ISLAM.

Umm Yoosuf
02-18-2005, 02:23 PM
Yes it happens all the time! Whenever my uncles (the ones that are not my mahrams)come around they try to shake my hand and when i say come on now im your uncle, i use to see you when you was a little baby etc...or they oh my God! Why are you covering its me yoour uncle.

WomanOfJihad
02-18-2005, 06:12 PM

lolllllllllll.. SIs MUSLIMAhhh .. soo trueeeeeeeee ... even though they our non mehrams ... they cum out of nowhere . n cum up with sum Relations .. i.e, Uncle , or Brothers ....

anyways bak to the Question ...

when we tell our relatives about the shariahs of Islam .. or explaining them something .. then they wud cum up with .. " yeah ur such a sheikh" n many other things ... well this happens everywhere .... especially .. when TRUTH hurts them .. i.e. just like sis muslimah .. mentioned when we tell our ghair mehrams no hand shaking .. then they wud make sum sarcy comment.. knowing that it is haram to shake hands .. but stilll they will deny that n start givin us a big Lecture of sum NExt level thing such as " oh now we r strangers 4 u, before u used to talk n sit on my lap when u were a baby n blah blah" n this kinda incidence happenss in from of the whole FAMILY which at the end makes us feel stupid .... but that doesnt mean we stop givin dawah to them .. insHAlah wateva they say we shhudnt let it get to us .. this is sumfin nORMAL .... it happens everywhere ...

May Allah give us the strenghth to do Dawah in friends n families no matter how much they make our lives Dificult n misereable .inshAllah at the end we will see sum good outcome .. just a mater of Sabr ..

:w:

h1jabi_sista
02-18-2005, 06:14 PM
I cudnt have put it better myself! mashallah

~Serenity~
02-27-2005, 09:44 AM

happened quite a few times, most of my friends call me that too.... :confused:

but my cousins now know that i m going to start advising them so they start looking somewhere else :-[ lol!!

u guys know what mullah is? they call me that whenever i want to tell them they are wrong or something..... :shade:

inklink98
05-25-2005, 01:26 AM
This has happened many of time to me, but not from my uncles or aunts or anything it was mostly from other "non-practicing" muslims who thought i was awkward because i ate halal and did five times namaz(which your supposed to do anyway) and i always say alhumdulillah so i would always get made fun of, but believe me i definetly don't take it as an insult. I myself take it as a compliment.

solid_snake
05-25-2005, 02:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Khaldun

You are the practising guy/girl in the family (well ok the whole family is good alhamdulilah) and then along come cousins from far far away, who dont no NOTHING about islam, and when you try to tell them that this and that is a sin then they start calling you "Shaikh" or making fun of you...and sometimes the uncles and aunts can be worse lol. has anybody experianced this?
I knew nothing but Islam .... heck I still don't know much ...... then again my parents never cared to teach me Islamic things and I have to take some blame for not trying to figure it out myself ...... but now I'm trying everyday to know more ... I never knew these stuff were wrong before:

- having gf
- having sex before marriage
- thinking about girls or flirting with girls
- going clubbing and dancing with girls and much more

I am still nowhere close to being a good muslim ... but I am making progress .... very slowly ..... I need to buy the Koran and read it ..... I plan to do this over the summer ... I need to know more and do more as well. I never fasted the whole ramadan .... my parents never fast the whole ramadan these days either ..... I just wasn't brought up with islamic values and views like most of you here, plz forgive me Allah.

I started to find out more about islam for couple of months now .... before I was a muslim by name, that's all. Sadly, there are more people in the West who are just like that, you know, the non practicing muslims.

format_quote Originally Posted by inklink98
This has happened many of time to me, but not from my uncles or aunts or anything it was mostly from other "non-practicing" muslims who thought i was awkward because i ate halal and did five times namaz(which your supposed to do anyway) and i always say alhumdulillah so i would always get made fun of, but believe me i definetly don't take it as an insult. I myself take it as a compliment.

yes, some muslims find it *uncool* to do muslim things and duties .... some of my relatives are like that.

junna1
05-25-2005, 02:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Khaldun

That happens to me a lot even though I am a girl. :-[ Well I thought that happened to us somalians only. ;D Wait a minute. Are you all somalians? :confused:

Ansar Al-'Adl
05-25-2005, 03:20 AM
Solid_snake. May Allah swt bless you and guide you to the truth. I recognized in your beautiful post the voice of one longing for the truth. May Allah make it easy for you.

You are searching for Hidayah (guidance) from your Lord. Allah swt tells us in the Qur'an who recieves it and who does not.

42:13...Allah chooses to Himself those whom He pleases, and guides to Himself those who turn (to Him).

29:69 And those who strive in Our (cause),- We will certainly guide them to our Paths: For verily Allah is with those who do right.

The ones who will not recieve the guidance:
45:23 Then seest thou such a one as takes as his god his own vain desire? Allah has, knowing (him as such), left him astray, and sealed his hearing and his heart (and understanding), and put a cover on his sight. Who, then, will guide him after Allah (has withdrawn Guidance)? Will ye not then receive admonition?

Brother, I want to encourage you not to give up. The only thing that can defeat you on your journey is if you fall prey to your desires. Strive for the truth. Turn your face towards your Loving Creator, and you will find your eyes moist with tears, your heart soft with piety. I advise you to arm yourself well before going into battle against Shaytan and the animal desires. You will need a shield to defend yourself against his attacks. That shield is described int he Qur'an:
29:45 Recite what has been revealed to you of the Book and establish As-Salât. Verily, As-Salât (the prayer) shields against great sins and every kind of evil. And remembrance of Allah is the greatest (thing in life) without doubt! And Allâh knows what you do.

My brother, do not only perform the Salat (prayer), but establish it as the Qur'an commands. To establish something is to make it firm and regular. To make it procedure, and to perform it with others. This is your shield. And the shield is built out of the strongest material, the Dhikr (rememberance) of One's Creator. For surely the remeberance of the Lord of the Heavens drives away every evil thought.

My brother, fear your Lord, lest you come unprepared on such a day:
41:19-23. And (remember) the Day that the enemies of Allâh will be gathered to the Fire, so they will be collected there (the first and the last).

Till, when they reach it (Hell-fire), their hearing (ears) and their eyes, and their skins will testify against them as to what they used to do.

And they will say to their skins, "Why do you testify against us?" They will say: "Allâh has caused us to speak, as He causes all things to speak, and He created you the first time, and to Him you are made to return."

And you did not veil yourselves, lest your ears, and your eyes, and your skins testify against you, but you thought that Allâh knew not much of what you were doing.

And that thought of yours which you thought about your Lord, has brought you to destruction, and you have become (this Day) of those utterly lost!

May Allah swt guide us all and save us from Hell fire. As the Prophet Muhammad saws said: The (Hell) Fire is surrounded by all kinds of desires and passions (Sahih Bukhari Volume 8, Book 76, Number 494)

Arwa
05-25-2005, 06:42 PM
:sl: wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu

;D ;D Happens to me esp. in school, cos alhamdulillah, my extended family is practising too!! :sister: :sister:

..but in school, whenever my friends are going to something bad, I tell them not and stuff, and then they start calling me a walking talking Qur'an :huh: .
..and then in RS, we had a presentation, and we were in groups, and my friend did an introduction saying who was doing what, and I was given the Islamic bits while everyone did general stuff. So my friend starts of '..and Arwa will be doing the Islamic bits because she's a walking talking Qur'an..' ..and my teacher was there and I was like.. err ehehe :-[ :sister:
..but then I realised that my friends actually appreciate it when I do start giving them these Islamic adivces because we had a free lesson due to some reason and half the class was in one classroom, and the other half in an other. So it was like nice and quiet so we were just talking generally with the teacher. So, one of my friendscan be really bad at times with some other friend who is another class so my teacher was talking to her about it because as a general person she is very nice. So my friend actually said '..I've always got Arwa to tell me not to do the things I do but even then sometimes I do it, but I really apprecaite her telling me not to because most of the times I then don't..' and I was like :omg: :wub: aww! :sister:
Oh yeah, during that same free lesson, the teacher asked what we'd like to do when we grow up, and she asked me, so I was like ummm *just about to answer* and my friend goes, a scholar! ;D ;D ;D ;D

:zip: :zip: :zip: :zip:

Bint Abdusattar
05-25-2005, 07:36 PM

Yeah - happens to me a lot - especially when i was in Pakistan - my own cousins used to make horrid remarks when i got up to go a pray - they said i did it all to show off!!!

Unfortunately this al happens because thee people do not want to practice themselves and rather that admit to themselves that they are in the wrong, they turn it round and make out like the people who practice are wrong - it makes them feel better somehow - human psyche isn't it.

Here in Glasgow i wear the hijabb and the niqaab. i help out in my sister's clothes shop from time to time and believe it or not i have had muslim women telling me to take the niqaab off!!!!! how strange. When i ask them why they don't have any proper reason. On the other hand i get encouragement from quite a few people as they say that with me working in a shop dressed the way i do makes them feel ashamed and a couple of people have actually taken on the hijaab due to seeing me!! So this is a great lesson for all of you who have had remarks made at them - don't be discouraged as you don't know how many people you are giving encouragment to.

S_87
05-25-2005, 08:14 PM

happens to me a lot

so i say

what do u expect? i am after all a member of the comission for promotion of virtue and prevention of vice

BlissfullyJaded
05-26-2005, 06:26 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by amani
what do u expect? i am after all a member of the comission for promotion of virtue and prevention of vice
You just use any exuse to say that eh?

Erm.. yeah, I got that a lot from aunt when I went to South Africa. She thought cuz I'm livin in Amrika I'd be all modern and rebellin my parents, etc..was a shocker when she saw me in hijaab, and not talkin to my male cousins and she started mocking me. After the first week I lost my patience, and she's my mom's youngest sis but my mom wasn't with us. So I just told her, listen if you got a prob with my being raised Islamically, you take it up with your sis, aite? Now lets not ruin all good memories this trip can have. :sister: *with a sweet smile* And I told my mom abt her annoying us afterwards also, so my aunt was kind and loving after that.;D ;D

Sahabiyaat
05-26-2005, 08:13 AM
lol...happens all the time...and it all cums from my close family
my grandmas like take ur hijaab off..for gods sake its eid what will the other girls think....and i'm like listen lady just leave me alone okay
i get mostly critisised for my hijaab..nothing else....its only because not many ppl wear it in my family..so they think our clans weird :)

MetSudaisTwice
05-26-2005, 08:16 AM
yes this always happens, i wear red scarf and daffa thobe to mosque and when i come downstairs wearing the red scarf and daffa thobe and smelling of nice itr people like my aunty and grandma say look here is the sheikh!!! l

Noora_z3
05-26-2005, 09:07 AM
salam

well with us, i mean me and my sister, they didnt say anything"atleast not infront of us", maybe coz my dad is a very religiouse person (now i remember few incident but they happend long time back", and my extended family anyways is quite conservative, but I remember they made some nasty remarks with my brother, wen he was only 15 and havin beared, they were like, u r too young for this, shave it and enjoy ur time and all that crap..but masha Allah my bro didnt care a bit..:)..i guess he had our support, thats wat matters I guess..

Ra`eesah
05-26-2005, 09:09 AM
Assalamu'Alaykum

yes some of my family members and friends call me "Wahabi" But Subhanallah its not good that they joke like that. It hurts me because its Hurting them and they dont even know it, if only they knew.

MetSudaisTwice
05-26-2005, 09:30 AM
yeah sis i know sometime they think they ae jokin but you know that it isn't a joke and in my case they embarass themselves becasue i am younger and mashallah i am properly dressed

thc
05-26-2005, 12:42 PM
It Happens To Me. Some Muslims Listen To Music. Isay Its Haraam . They Will Say You Should Be Active In Wordly Affairs Which Most Do.

Sahabiyaat
05-26-2005, 12:51 PM
convincing ur friends is the hardest

all u get is 'since wen did u becum so holy' :mad: and then u feel like yanking their hair out...in a friendly manner ofcourse :)

MetSudaisTwice
05-26-2005, 12:52 PM
yeah thats true, its either 'since when did you become holy?' or 'you think you know everything!'

S_87
05-26-2005, 01:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mm_ca04

You just use any exuse to say that eh? ;D

Erm.. yeah, I got that a lot from aunt when I went to South Africa. She thought cuz I'm livin in Amrika I'd be all modern and rebellin my parents, etc..was a shocker when she saw me in hijaab, and not talkin to my male cousins and she started mocking me. After the first week I lost my patience, and she's my mom's youngest sis but my mom wasn't with us. So I just told her, listen if you got a prob with my being raised Islamically, you take it up with your sis, aite? Now lets not ruin all good memories this trip can have. :sister: *with a sweet smile* And I told my mom abt her annoying us afterwards also, so my aunt was kind and loving after that. ;D

:applaud:
its so dumb how some people just dont understand ...and they are older and more *wiser* (well so people say)

@ur first comment shhhh :zip: :shade: ;)

lol...happens all the time...and it all cums from my close family
my grandmas like take ur hijaab off..for gods sake its eid what will the other girls think....and i'm like listen lady just leave me alone okay
i get mostly critisised for my hijaab..nothing else....its only because not many ppl wear it in my family..so they think our clans weird
yh i have seen that

*its a wedding its ok*
*you can wear it after*
theres no okness in that :(

well with us, i mean me and my sister, they didnt say anything"atleast not infront of us", maybe coz my dad is a very religiouse person (now i remember few incident but they happend long time back", and my extended family anyways is quite conservative, but I remember they made some nasty remarks with my brother, wen he was only 15 and havin beared, they were like, u r too young for this, shave it and enjoy ur time and all that crap..but masha Allah my bro didnt care a bit....i guess he had our support, thats wat matters I guess..
its so bad when elders try to encourage youngsters to do bad instead of good :(

yes some of my family members and friends call me "Wahabi" But Subhanallah its not good that they joke like that. It hurts me because its Hurting them and they dont even know it, if only they knew
thats bad :(
a big reaction here is *since when did you become a scholar?*
only a scholar can tell others <_<

MetSudaisTwice
05-26-2005, 01:22 PM
i just don't like all the negative remarks our bro's and sis's get just for trying to practice islam and dressing modestly

Arwa
05-26-2005, 05:16 PM
:sl: wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu

Hehe I just remembered, my firends also call me Islamic Girl! lol ;D

..but they say it out of love.. nothing negative alhamdulillah :sister:

A7med
05-26-2005, 05:17 PM
THAT ALWAYS HAPPENS WITH ME :mad: :mad:

Arwa
05-26-2005, 05:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by brown clown
THAT ALWAYS HAPPENS WITH ME :mad: :mad:

What does?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.