/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Isa or Jesus

azim
12-29-2005, 01:42 AM
Salam.

I was reading the Wycliffe version of the Bible (which is the very first translation into English, somewhere around the early 11th century) and I noticed Jesus is spelt Jesu.

The interesting thing is, in Old English, J is a 'ee' noise and 'u' is more like 'uuh'. (Thats thank to the Great Vowel Shift, no joke, its called that).

So my immediate thought was, it must be Isa, and that back then they said Isa.

Yet many Christians claim its 'Yeshua'. Which is also likely since Y was sometimes made into J (Yacoub became Jacob).

Obviously, as a muslim I know it's Isa, but I was wondering if theres any proof out their to substantiate the claim.

You may see this as trivial, but Christians called him Yeshua since it means God. So prooving it was Isa proves 1)his name didnt mean God and 2)the Quran is reliable on this account.

Thanks. Salaam.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
azim
12-29-2005, 02:04 PM
The question is 'Is there any other proof out there to claim Isa's (as) name was actually Isa, and not Yeshua as Christians claim?"

...Wheres the confusion?

yoshiyahu
12-30-2005, 11:07 AM
The Jesu reading is because the greek version of his name is pronounced Iesous (IIRC).

Yeshua is probably what Jesus/Isa was called in his day to day life. It is a shortened version of the Hebrew name Yehoshua (meaning "God is my deliverer/salvation"), which in English is Joshua.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.