/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Boxing Day swimmers take plunge

Rabi'ya
12-29-2005, 04:09 PM
Boxing Day swimmers take plunge

More pictures of the swimmers in action
Almost 600 bathers have taken the plunge to make Tenby's 35th annual Boxing Day swim a record-breaker.
A crowd of around 3,500 people gathered to enjoy the traditional festive spectacle on the town's North Beach.

It was the latest in a traditional line-up of Christmas swims around the south Wales coast.

Beforehand three local survivors of last year's Boxing Day tsunami placed orchids on the water in memory of those who lost their lives.

START, the Sri Lankan Trust to Aid and Rehabilitate Tangalle charity founded by the trio of Paul Cowper, Joanne Brindley and Will Hammond is one of the main beneficiaries chosen by swim organisers, the Tenby Sea Swimming Association.

The Wales Air Ambulance, the Jubilee Sailing Trust, Portfield School, Haverfordwest and Tenby Playgroup are among other charities benefiting from the event which is expected to raise thousands.

These 'rugby players' were backing the swim's 'Legends' theme

Tenby Sea Swimming Association chairman Chris Osborne said he was "very impressed" with nearly 100 more swimmers than last year taking part.

"We welcomed a stunning turn-out, enjoyed some superb fancy-dress costumes and hopefully will raise more money than ever for charity," he said.

Commemorative medals were given to 572 swimmers, many of whom joined in this year's fancy dress theme of 'Legends', which resulted in costumes ranging from the Pied Piper of Hamlin to a host of Elvis Presleys making an appearance on the beach.

Raft, canoe and sailing races, festive music, a blazing beach bonfire and hot soup was served up for participants.

Tenby's lifeboat, the Sir Galahad, made the final Boxing Day launch of her career, anchoring close to the shoreline and providing a convenient point for some of the hardier swimmers to strike out to in the chilly sea.

Coastguards said the water temperature for the Tenby swimmers was around 10 degrees.

'Crazy people'

Meanwhile, 90-year-old man Charlie Budd, of Llanelli, joined his family in the traditional Boxing Day Walrus Dip at Pembrey Country Park's Cefn Sidan beach. beach.

He and five of his children and grandchildren were joined by 250 other bathers, many of them in elaborate fancy dress,

Organiser Neil Parry of Pembrey Country Park said: "We are very pleased by the turn out. It is probably a record for us. There just must be more crazy people out there."

On Christmas Day more than 600 men, women and children braved the chill of the sea for the 41st annual swim in Porthcawl.

Heres the story of some crazy people near my hometown!!Oh, and btw I did this once - never again!!

:w:

Rabi'ya:rose:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
akulion
12-29-2005, 04:12 PM
salam alaikum

thats nothing sis

In Finland people dig a hole in the ice go swimming in the freezing lakes naked

and then after it get out of it walking naked in the snow and make their ways to the boiling saunas

lol

akulion
12-29-2005, 08:18 PM
i know tell me about it!!

My finnish friend was showing me her family photos and then came completely naked pics of her family!!
I was like WOAH what the heck is that!!

And her response was "oh its normal for our country - we go to saunas naked"

Astaghfirullah !

Nawal89
12-29-2005, 08:41 PM
^that's a bit ... disturbing..

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
akulion
12-29-2005, 08:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nawal89
^that's a bit ... disturbing..

I know but its actually true - in Sweden, Norway and especially Finland this practice is considered normal

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.