/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim immigrants to Germany put through loyalty test

sonz
12-31-2005, 07:42 PM
In a move believed to be the first in Europe, Muslims who want to become German citizens will have to undergo a rigorous cultural test to determine their views on subjects like bigamy and homosexuality.

UK’s Telegraph reported Saturday that the German Southern state of Baden-Württemberg has created the two-hour oral exam to test the loyalty of Muslims towards Germany.

Muslim immigrants will face a lengthy interrogation including 30 questions on applicants' political and cultural views, the Interior Ministry of the southern state of Baden-Wuerttemberg said.

Muslims applicants must also have resided in Germany for the previous eight years and have no criminal record.

The rest of Germany's 16 states will monitor the progress of the policy as soon as the tests begin this week to decide whether they wish to adopt similar legislation.

The 30 questions, which range from sexual equality to school sports, are meant to trigger a more detailed discussion between the applicants and the German officials.

Before that Muslims seeking to become German citizens only had to tick a Yes or No box to answer whether they felt loyalty to Germany.

Now, they will be quizzed on their attitudes to homosexuality and western clothing for young women, and whether husbands should be allowed to beat their wives, as well as other questions on bigamy and whether parents should allow their children to participate in school sports.

The move was denounced by many who accuse the test as biased and discriminatory.

About 60 percent of all immigrants to Baden-Wuerttemberg in 2004 came from Muslim nations.

Brigitte Lösch, a leading member of the Green party in the Baden-Wurttemberg parliament, urged the government to drop the test as it inferred from the outset that all Muslims were "violent per se" and unable to abide by German law.

"This list of questions is only to be used for applicants from Islamic countries. It is an unbelievable form of discrimination," she said. "If Germans were asked some of the questions, they would find it difficult to answer them."

Also the European Assembly of Turkish Academics denounced the test as "strongly discriminatory and racist" against Germany's three million-strong Muslim population.

According to Kerim Arpad, an assembly spokesman, "the test is shaped by stereotypes and damages integration."

Source: Telegraph.co.uk

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
renak
04-07-2006, 02:30 AM
I don't see this as a bad approach.

north_malaysian
04-07-2006, 02:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by renak
I don't see this as a bad approach.
I wonder if Malaysia to do this kind of test toward those 2 millions immigrants? Test for loyalty. :happy:

renak
04-07-2006, 02:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
I wonder if Malaysia to do this kind of test toward those 2 millions immigrants? Test for loyalty. :happy:
Considering the state of the world, and the unwillingness of many people (of all faiths) to respect one another, it is probably an excellent idea.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Knut Hamsun
04-07-2006, 03:02 AM
I think that is fair. It is the german resident's country, they can do what they deem legal.

The move was denounced by many who accuse the test as biased and discriminatory.
Left wing "cultural sensitivity advocates" i'm sure.
If you want acceptance into a lawful country, one should expect to have his loyalties scrutinized. Why is this unfair?

Now, they will be quizzed on their attitudes to homosexuality and western clothing for young women, and whether husbands should be allowed to beat their wives, as well as other questions on bigamy and whether parents should allow their children to participate in school sports
It sounds like they are trying to gauge the extent to which the potential immigrant is willing to intergrate. Which is more than fair! Europe can't withstand the ensuing barrage of lawsuits and ingratitude which many muslim immigrant communities quite proudly initiate/display. Put yourself in Germany's shoes, please. Is there ANY MUSLIM COUNTRY AS OPEN AND ACCEPTING OF IMMIGRANTS WITH SUCH GREATLY DIFFERENT CULTURAL MORES THAN EUROPE IS/HAS BEEN???? I don't think so.

urged the government to drop the test as it inferred from the outset that all Muslims were "violent per se" and unable to abide by German law.
Well, if they are not violent or unable to abide by the law, and in general TOLERANT and GRATEFUL, then they should pass the test just perfectly, yes?

snakelegs
04-07-2006, 04:09 AM
i am confused about this. i remember reading somewhere an interview with a turkish worker in germany. according to him, even his children born in germany were not granted citizenship.
also i am surprised that a state would do this - usually things involving citizenship are done on a federal level.

format_quote Originally Posted by sonz
In a move believed to be the first in Europe, Muslims who want to become German citizens will have to undergo a rigorous cultural test to determine their views on subjects like bigamy and homosexuality.

UK’s Telegraph reported Saturday that the German Southern state of Baden-Württemberg has created the two-hour oral exam to test the loyalty of Muslims towards Germany.

Muslim immigrants will face a lengthy interrogation including 30 questions on applicants' political and cultural views, the Interior Ministry of the southern state of Baden-Wuerttemberg said.

Muslims applicants must also have resided in Germany for the previous eight years and have no criminal record.

The rest of Germany's 16 states will monitor the progress of the policy as soon as the tests begin this week to decide whether they wish to adopt similar legislation.

The 30 questions, which range from sexual equality to school sports, are meant to trigger a more detailed discussion between the applicants and the German officials.

Before that Muslims seeking to become German citizens only had to tick a Yes or No box to answer whether they felt loyalty to Germany.

Now, they will be quizzed on their attitudes to homosexuality and western clothing for young women, and whether husbands should be allowed to beat their wives, as well as other questions on bigamy and whether parents should allow their children to participate in school sports.

About 60 percent of all immigrants to Baden-Wuerttemberg in 2004 came from Muslim nations.

Brigitte Lösch, a leading member of the Green party in the Baden-Wurttemberg parliament, urged the government to drop the test as it inferred from the outset that all Muslims were "violent per se" and unable to abide by German law.

"This list of questions is only to be used for applicants from Islamic countries. It is an unbelievable form of discrimination," she said. "If Germans were asked some of the questions, they would find it difficult to answer them."

Also the European Assembly of Turkish Academics denounced the test as "strongly discriminatory and racist" against Germany's three million-strong Muslim population.

According to Kerim Arpad, an assembly spokesman, "the test is shaped by stereotypes and damages integration."

Source: Telegraph.co.uk

north_malaysian
04-07-2006, 06:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by renak
Considering the state of the world, and the unwillingness of many people (of all faiths) to respect one another, it is probably an excellent idea.
Agreed.:happy:

Knut Hamsun
04-07-2006, 09:08 AM
i am confused about this. i remember reading somewhere an interview with a turkish worker in germany. according to him, even his children born in germany were not granted citizenship.
I do not know the answer. Any germans in the house? Anyone? Anyone?

HeiGou
04-07-2006, 09:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Knut Hamsun
Well I am not German, but I can perhaps play one on the internet....

Germany used to have very strict immigration rules for non-ethnic-Germans. So the Turks came as "guest workers" and the Germans probably intended to send them back, but they stayed. They have not been made citizens. But a few years ago the Germans loosen up the rules to allow non-Germans to become Germans (with some of those third-generation Turks in mind). They have now realised that this was, perhaps, not wise and are restricting it again.

And for the record, I think that applies to all non-Germans applying for citizenship not just Muslims. I expect that a disproportionate number of Muslims will, however, fail it.

north_malaysian
04-07-2006, 09:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by HeiGou
Well I am not German, but I can perhaps play one on the internet....

Germany used to have very strict immigration rules for non-ethnic-Germans. So the Turks came as "guest workers" and the Germans probably intended to send them back, but they stayed. They have not been made citizens. But a few years ago the Germans loosen up the rules to allow non-Germans to become Germans (with some of those third-generation Turks in mind). They have now realised that this was, perhaps, not wise and are restricting it again.

And for the record, I think that applies to all non-Germans applying for citizenship not just Muslims. I expect that a disproportionate number of Muslims will, however, fail it.
Germans should compensate the Jews by giving citizenship to the Israelis (with no loyalty test). So Israeli would have dual citizenship and be happy!:happy:

Knut Hamsun
04-07-2006, 09:16 AM
I think it applies to everyone, also. I know you like universal rules, as do i; If such is the case, do you agree with this program as I, for myself, stated in an earlier reply to this question?

north_malaysian
04-07-2006, 09:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Knut Hamsun
There lots of Indonesian children all over Malaysia, but ever see any of them in Government schools. No! Why ... they're not Malaysian citizens.

Knut Hamsun
04-07-2006, 09:19 AM
Germans should compensate the Jews by giving citizenship to the Israelis (with no loyalty test). So Israeli would have dual citizenship and be happy!
Off topic, but yeah, in a more sensible world, the jews should have claimed/been given well over half of germany after wwII! It would have spared a lot of trouble for all parties since! what a mess.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.