/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Non-muslim parents

sumay28
01-03-2006, 12:54 AM
How many people here have parents who are not muslim?

1. How do they feel about you being muslim?

2. How do you feel about them not being muslim, and are they receptive of your da'wah?

My mom passed away. Allah knows best. And giving my dad da'wah is like pulling teeth from a lion. My dad is okay with my being muslim. Both of his daughters, me and my sister, are muslim. And his way of looking at it is like... "You can be a muslim, but why do you have to wear a hajob, or jiblab or whatever? Why you gotta let everyone know? you're a moos-lem". And Allah knows I have tried to explain to him and he STILL says the same thing. That's a 6 year obstacle for me and my sister just to explain why we wear hijab. That ain't even getting into da'wah.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
azim
01-03-2006, 01:07 AM
Salaam.

Usually when explaining the hijab to non-muslims theres a problem with perception.

Muslim perception =

Sex before marriage = bad
Being forced to follow fashions = bad
Exposing yourself to others = bad

Hijab blocks this so hijab = good

The non-muslim perspective =

Sex before marriage = fun
Following fashions = stylish/cool
Exposing yourself to others = very good

so Hijab = pointless and negative.

If you can convince them sex before marriage is bad, following fashions is bad and exposing yourself to others is bad, then insha'Allah, they see that hijab = good.

Lol, I think I'm being a little too mathamatical but reducing everything to equations makes the world make a lot more sense.

sumay28
01-03-2006, 01:20 AM
Sounds simple... I mean, this is my dad. You would think he would rather see me wear hijab rather than daisy dukes. I remember there was a time where my dad thought that I was dressing a little too scantily. Now I'm covering to much. I can't win! :grumbling:

sumay28
01-03-2006, 01:33 AM
Oh on a lighter note, my sister's mother is a muslim of 6 years. It's a real beautiful story, because her mom (named Miriam), fell through some hard times with her mother (my sister's grandmother). Her mom (Sofia) had gotten pancreatic cancer. She was 68 and was really sick, and my sister says that when she visited her, she could see that her death was coming close. She was a catholic all her life. So my sister and her husband gave her (Sofia) da'wah. And when they left, Miriam continued to give her da'wah and Sofia ended up taking shahada. Alhumdulilah as soon as she took shahada she went into a coma. I believe within a few days she passed away. There were so many signs that Allah gave to Miriam and my sister. Too much detail, but let me tell you, my faith is 10x stronger because of it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
azim
01-03-2006, 01:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sumay28
Sounds simple... I mean, this is my dad. You would think he would rather see me wear hijab rather than daisy dukes. I remember there was a time where my dad thought that I was dressing a little too scantily. Now I'm covering to much. I can't win! :grumbling:
Lol. Alhamdulillah though, he doesn't stop you from wearing hijab. Maybe talk to Islam from another point of view, specifically God. Everyone believes in it, whether they admit it or not. Insha'Allah, if he understands your obedience to Allah then he may understand Hijab better.

sumay28
01-03-2006, 01:49 AM
Well he can't stop me... i live a state away from him ;D . But masha allah, no one can stop me insha allah from wearing hijab now. :sister: I like it. Before men used to talk to me disrespectfully and.... :rollseyes honk... when I would walk to the store or something. Now people think I don't speak english. It's pretty funny.

azim
01-03-2006, 02:03 AM
Now people think I don't speak english. It's pretty funny.
Lol, yeh, a lot of revert sisters have told me that happens to them. Infact I did it once to a revert sister, I started speaking arabic and she was giving me this weird look. Ah well. May Allah forgive us.

Takumi
01-03-2006, 05:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by azim
Salaam.

The non-muslim perspective =

Sex before marriage = fun
Following fashions = stylish/cool
Exposing yourself to others = very good
These statements are too general, Azim. :)

There are non muslims who are members of an abstinence group that does not condone sex before marriage. If you Google, you should be able to find them. We need to support them and if we can, attend their meetings.

My professor who is a Catholic wears turtle neck and long pants all the time. Once after I stated my position that I couldn't attend her lectures because I needed to attend Jum'ah, she offered to record the class for me and extra help and congratulated me for being adherent to my beliefs. She's against revealing clothes and she's very respectful.

Once in my physical examination class, in which you learn how to examine patients etc, in a test, my partner was a lady. A non muslim colleague told me to talk to the professor because I confided in him that I'm not comfortable at all with the arrangement. The professor got me a male student instead, and not only that, seeing that I made the move of have same gender examination, all my classmates requested the same thing under the reason, they are not comfortable being touched, examined by the opposite gender in a non life threatening circumstance.

There are really decent people out there. Give them a chance as Allah had given us.

*Hana*
01-03-2006, 06:12 AM
Salam Alaikum:

Neither of my parents are Muslim. Actually, I'm the only Muslim in my family. My immediate family is not religious anymore so me being a muslim is not an issue at all. However, I have an aunt and uncle that are not happy about it. I think she squirts with me holy water whenever I walk by. :mmokay: j/k

I have been very fortunate, Alhamdulillah.

Wa'alaikum salam,
Hana

sumay28
01-03-2006, 12:10 PM
lol alhumdulilah. See... my dad is in obstacle, but his wife... OH MAN! If guidance is written for her, may Allah guide her. You could just imagine. She's a Christian and she does not like this "moos-lem" thing it AT ALL. I can't even talk to my dad on certain days of the week because his wife is there. I feel really bad for her because she's speaking COMPLETELY against Islam. Living at that house was a jihad 5 years ago when I was trying to practice Islam. I forgive her man... I forgive her. I really pray that she doesn't die in that condition. I would cry like a teething baby if they accepted Islam, man.

swanlake
01-03-2006, 12:33 PM
:sl: sis sumaya

How did you embrace Islam sis?

sumay28
01-03-2006, 12:41 PM
My sister and her husband accepted Islam 6 years ago, and one time I went to visit... for like a week. They gave me da'wah over there and it didn't take me long to see that it was the truth. So I took shahada at the mosque. I practiced for a year, then stopped.. then recently, like 4 months ago, I found some books that they had given me 5 years ago, while I was packing, and I started reading them. I was married at the time and I actually packed my backs, bought a ticket to Georgia (from Miami) and left. I came over here to study and practice Islam and I've been staying in the game. I tried to refer my husband to someone in Miami, a hoffice, to give him da'wah, and ever since that conversation he hasn't called me back. So that's a chapter of my life closing up, I guess.

swanlake
01-03-2006, 12:52 PM
I am sorry to hear about your husband sis. You dont have kids i imagine? Maashallah ..your sis and hsuband are doing great job with Allah's help. If they gave dawah to you and her grandma and mothers, that is absolutely fantastic. They must have way with words and have great dawah techniques. I find myself that i cant actually give dawah in calm manner if people are offensive. Sometimes i cant explian myself clearly and as elequontly as i would like.

Rabi'ya
01-03-2006, 01:08 PM
:sl:

Neither of my parents are Muslim. I am the only Muslim in the family and "I am the only Muslim in the vilage" as the saying goes lol. anyway..hjiab was a problem at first. But then i sed, "i dont worry about wht u wear mum, so dont u worry about wht i wear" and its been left at that.

With regards to da'wah. How do you give da'wah to somene who REFUSES point blank to accept the notion of God existing? MY mum has some warped ideas...Ive tried time and time again to reason with her about Allahs existence but no luck. May allah give me strenth...ameen

I still love my family tho. They are still quite supoprtive - most of the time.

:w:

Rabi'ya:rose:

*KB*
01-03-2006, 01:49 PM
How many people here have parents who are not muslim?

1. How do they feel about you being muslim?

2. How do you feel about them not being muslim, and are they receptive of your da'wah?

My mom passed away. Allah knows best. And giving my dad da'wah is like pulling teeth from a lion. My dad is okay with my being muslim. Both of his daughters, me and my sister, are muslim. And his way of looking at it is like... "You can be a muslim, but why do you have to wear a hajob, or jiblab or whatever? Why you gotta let everyone know? you're a moos-lem". And Allah knows I have tried to explain to him and he STILL says the same thing. That's a 6 year obstacle for me and my sister just to explain why we wear hijab. That ain't even getting into da'wah.
salm
marsha'allah brother say your fellings out Allah will listen to you! Allah is Almighty worry not your dad will insha'allah understand. believe in your dad,yourself and of course ALLAH. it must be hard without a mother cuz i lost my dad and insha'allah he is looking at me proudly from heaven

azim
01-03-2006, 02:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Takumi
These statements are too general, Azim. :)
I didn't mean to apply it to all non-muslims, just the ones who usually disagree with hijab, disagree with it because they don't see the faults in the things I mentioned, rather than actually disagreeing that someone should cover their hair.

I'll try to be more precise next time:thumbs_up:beard:.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.