/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Under"covered" Brothers

Snowflake
01-03-2006, 10:06 PM
:sl:

Alhumdulillah, there are a lot of brothers in my town who practice Islam and dress accordingly. I respect them to the max. I know the ankles should be left bare but *cough cough* I think some brothers do not know their ankles from their knees ;D cuz lol (wait let me laugh) they have their trousers rolled up alllllll the way to the knees, like they just crossed a river. The trouser is so high up it's hidden by the upper garment so it looks so scary like they got nothing on underneath. Surely it's only the ankles that should be bare, not half the leg. Me and my mom were driving home one day and we saw this bro in that style... whaoooo his upper garment was like just below the knee all you could see were two hairy legs underneath the upper garment. I was like omg where's his trousers? So embarrassing!!! :embarrass

Anywayz, didnt mean to start a discussion but just don't wanna see a sight like that again. So plz plz plz, if this is you plz buy some longer length trousers and look a bit more decent. Thanks :phew

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
01-03-2006, 10:18 PM
:wasalamex

sis its a sunnah..

I said: Give me some advice. He said: Do not abuse anyone. He said that he did not abuse a freeman, or a slave, or a camel or a sheep thenceforth. He said: Do not look down upon any good work, and when you speak to your brother, show him a cheerful face. This is a good work. Have your lower garment halfway down your shin; if you cannot do it, have it up to the ankles. Beware of trailing the lower garment, for it is conceit and Allah does not like conceit. And if a man abuses and shames you for something which he finds in you, then do not shame him for something which you find in him; he will bear the evil consequences for it.

(sunan abu dawud - b32/4003)

wa Allaahu a'lam.

:salamext:

Snowflake
01-03-2006, 10:26 PM

Ok down to shin, which is halfway down from knee to ankle. Still it means should be way below the knee. And jazakAllah for the hadith but does it relate to when a brother is working or at all times?

- Qatada -
01-03-2006, 10:33 PM

Question.

Dear Muslim Brother or Sister, I have admired how our sisters have obeyed Islam and choose to wear the Hijab. And as a male trying to embrace Islam, I would like to know if there is certain dress code for men. Any answer will help and may Allah bless you for it.

Answer.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear brother in Islam, we would like to thank you for showing keenness on knowing the teachings of Islam, and we appreciate the great confidence you have in us. We hope our efforts meet your expectations, yet we apologize for the late reply.

With regard to your question, Sheikh Muhammad Iqbal Nadvi, Imam of Calgary Mosque, Canada, and Former Professor at King Saud Univ., Saudi Arabia, answers:

“I appreciate your concern about the dress code. Islamically, a dress is supposed to serve two purposes:

1. Covering the `Awrah (private parts) of the body.
2. Serving the purpose of adornment and beautification.

Reviewing the Qur’an, we find that Allah, the Almighty, describes the dress of believers as “The Dress of Piety” or Libasut-Taqwa, and this exactly emphasizes the aforementioned two conditions, and stresses that such a dress should never be used for showing off. Almighty Allah says: “But the raiment of righteousness, - that is the best.” (Al-`Araaf: 26)

Islam has provided few guidelines to achieve this quality:

1. The first condition is that the dress has to be Halal by its origin, i.e. purchased or owned through Halal earning.

2. The second is that it must not imply imitation of other people’s dress. This means we should not imitate others’ religious attire or style, as the Hadith states: “Whoever imitates some people will be ranked among them.” (Irwaa’ul Ghaleel, Al-Albaani, Hadith no. 2384)

3. The third condition is that the dress must not carry any resemblance to women’s dress. This means men’s dress must not involve any kind of feminine style of adornment: pure silk, golden dress, very bright and fast color, are all considered permissible for women, but not for men.

Below this level are some cultural choices and this may come as a second level. But what is important is that Islam promotes unique identity for Muslims in every action, and this applies to the dress code. So, Islam encourages the dress which represents the message of Islam, and which distinguishes Muslims from others. I hope you will develop your taste so to achieve the goal of piety, which is the best as the Qur’an has pointed out.”

Do keep in touch. If you have any other question, don't hesitate to write to us.

Allah Almighty knows best.

source:
http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503545620

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Tasneem
01-03-2006, 10:37 PM
Its the sunnah for the men to wear the pants above the ankles
If The male does not wear it on the day of judgement the ankles will burn
Or be on fire or something like that.

SaLaMz

swanlake
01-03-2006, 10:42 PM

sorry sis but you shouldnt have looked his 'hairy' legs to begin with. Your eyes shouldnt linger even if you find it distateful.

Tasneem
01-03-2006, 10:45 PM
Sometimes you make a mistake and look
If his pants were up and his legs were showing and you were lowering you're gaze of course you are going to see his''hairy'' legs

SaLaMz

swanlake
01-03-2006, 11:30 PM
But when looking at someone, you look at their face first, dont you? and not the legs. Anyhow we all do mistakes. May Allah forgive us.

Snowflake
01-04-2006, 12:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by swanlake

sorry sis but you shouldnt have looked his 'hairy' legs to begin with. Your eyes shouldnt linger even if you find it distateful.

Sis my gaze was not 'lingering' on the brothers legs :grumbling . Anyway its hard to linger when you you're driving past someone at 50mph ;D Sis you make it look like I was counting the hairs on his legs. We saw him coming cuz we were driving in the direction opposite, so I couldnt really miss him could I?
And don't forget I was at the same height as his waist, cuz I was sitting in the car. Lol, now I sound like a dwarf ;D It's not my fault I looked at his legs and not his face from that height. :phew

Snowflake
01-04-2006, 12:56 AM
But when looking at someone, you look at their face first, dont you? and not the legs. Anyhow we all do mistakes. May Allah forgive us.
:hmm: You just admitted that normally ppl look at faces first, whereas you said before that I shouldnt have looked at all. It's the intention that counts sis. Allah knows I don't get kicks out of it. Don't make me feel like a biggggg sinner plzzz:'(

Snowflake
01-04-2006, 01:18 AM
JazakAllah for the article fi_Sabilillah bro. I understand the ankles have to be bare. But you gotto admit taking it all the way up to the knee is a bit too much lol :phew

cldnite
01-04-2006, 01:20 AM
Salamualaikum,

Jazakullah khair, sis. thnx for the insight. however, as stated, it is a sunnah to keep it half way b/t the knees and ankles. Also, i have seen more men without this sunnah than with it. so, i think it would be better to congratulate such zeal for the sunnah rather than make people feel embarassed. it's kind of like telling a sister, "omg, i know you wanna follow Islam by wearing a hijab n all, but... could u atleast wear some make-up? that black-head on your nose is reeeeeallly annoying!"

i hope you get my point, insh'Allah.

And Allah knows best wAllahuAlam. Salamualaikum.

azim
01-04-2006, 01:32 AM
Lol, funny thread. But yeh, us brothers should cover up more.

I'm guilty of it myself (hot summers, tke off my top, astagfirallah) however I used to pull my boxer-shorts up to cover my bully botton so at least my aura was covered, and it was only in my house as well, but still. Insha'Allah I won't do it again though.

On the topic of trousers above the ankle: -

I think some brothers (not on this forum, I mean in real non-cyber life) should remember the reason why the Prophet (pbuh) was cursed those who wear long-trailing clothes. It was because of Kibir, pride. They thought they were better than others, richer than others, so they distinguised themselves.

These days, you have brothers do the flip-reverse. They'll wear sunnah trousers/clothes, and then look down on everyone else because they're not doing the same, showing kibir but for a different reasons. This is just as hated as wearing flowing clothes. So GO! TELL EVERYONE!

sumay28
01-04-2006, 01:54 AM

Your eyes shouldnt linger even if you find it distateful.
:blind: These brothers make it hard when they're wearing white thobes, and the beard... oh my god some of these brothers wear kohl... I definitely try not to gase, but I tell ya... sometimes I literally have to take my hand and COVER my eyes because my eyes begin to have a mind of their own when they see guys in sunnah.

Snowflake
01-04-2006, 02:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sumay28
:blind: These brothers make it hard when they're wearing white thobes, and the beard... oh my god some of these brothers wear kohl... I definitely try not to gase, but I tell ya... sometimes I literally have to take my hand and COVER my eyes because my eyes begin to have a mind of their own when they see guys in sunnah.
:embarrass :scared: :muddlehea :X :phew Ya Allah plz let the mods turn a blind eye to this post lololol. Sis I love ur honesty but if this thread is closed Im gonna kill ya lololol ;D;D;D

swanlake
01-04-2006, 09:46 AM

I am sorry sis nadia (my sis is called nadia). I didnt mean to imply that you were big sinner. Pls forgive me? :)

MetSudaisTwice
01-04-2006, 10:33 AM
salam
for me it is easier and simpler to wear a white thobe that goes just above your ankle
wasalam

Muezzin
01-04-2006, 12:15 PM

Wait a minute....

You guys seem to be using the term 'pants' and 'trousers' interchangeably

Pants:

Trousers:

And on topic, perhaps they're wearing shorts under their kameez, as crazily insane as that might be.

Snowflake
01-04-2006, 12:17 PM
I am sorry sis nadia (my sis is called nadia). I didnt mean to imply that you were big sinner. Pls forgive me?
Heyyy it's ok sis, alhumdulillah I never keep anything in my heart. About 60 seconds max lol :)

format_quote Originally Posted by metsudaistwice
salam
for me it is easier and simpler to wear a white thobe that goes just above your ankle
wasalam
MashaAllahhh Metsu bro, now that sounds perfect. Just above the ankle looks the best :thumbs_up *hint hint* broz :D

Sahabiyaat
01-04-2006, 12:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nadia Waheed
one day and we saw this bro in that style... whaoooo his upper garment was like just below the knee all you could see were two hairy legs underneath the upper garment.
hahahahaha :happy:
lol what did u expect ay ?

afriend
01-04-2006, 12:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin

Wait a minute....

You guys seem to be using the term 'pants' and 'trousers' interchangeably

Pants:

Trousers:

LOL

LOL;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Come on bro. some people aren't from this country....they use Pants as trousers.....

But very funny

afriend
01-04-2006, 12:39 PM
From as far as I know....keeping the trousers above the ankle is sunnah and there is a hadeeth 4 it as Bro Fi_ had stated. but i think....if it really was as high as his knees then they should (;D ;D ;D ) lower it slightly.

but some peopel go over the top when it comes to some things....of course it is the sunnah but putting it as high as the knee is not allowed.

it makes you more....noticeable to the opposite gender....as the sister found herself....very noticeable lol

Rabi'ya
01-04-2006, 01:32 PM

I dont think its the brothers who are TRYING to follow sunnah that we should be worried about.

Its the brothers who dressl ike non-believers who we should be encouraging to wear more sunnah clothing. Brothers who wear tight jeans/trousers and small t shirts. Surely this is more of a problem than a brother trying to dollow sunnah?

Rabi'ya:rose:

MetSudaisTwice
01-04-2006, 01:36 PM
salam
if brothers stopped following or trying to imitate thier non believer role model than there would be no problem, whats wrong with having the Prophet SAW as your role model?? or Sheikh Shuraim? (this is not a comaprison between our Prophet SAW and SS, just an example)
wasalam

Z
01-04-2006, 01:48 PM
Salaam.

See what normally happens is the people who try to follow the Sunnah in dress are looked up upon by those who don't even bother trying. Now if the people who are trying, wear their bottoms which expose their flesh up to the knees, the one's who don't even bother trying are going to start wearing shorts and three-quarter length bottoms and use the excuse that those guys are no better.

It's a need for better understanding of the Sunnah. Any single Hadith is a science within itself.

Halima
01-04-2006, 02:15 PM

In essence of the discussion of the men's apparel, I would like to post the pertaining fatwa. All brothers that might not be clear of how to dress according to Islam this can be helpful to them indeed. (insha'Allah)

A Muslim man is permitted to wear whatever is the customary dress in his country as long as he avoids any expressly unlawful behavior with respect to dress.

Unlawful modes of dress include exposing any part of his `awrah - which is the area between the navel and the knee - wearing pure silk or gold, and wearing long garments that hang below his ankles. It also includes wearing clothing made of impure substances like pigskin.

Snowflake
01-04-2006, 03:01 PM
In some countries trousers are called pants. Even in old English they were called pants.

Anywayz back to the topic. I keep being told that it's sunnah to leave the ankles bare. I know it is. I repeat I know. I know. I know. I know :phew
But I insist that, above the ankle does not mean go as high as you like. There is a limit. The highest being midcalf. And by saying what I did, I am in no way undermining these brothers as practicing muslims. SubhanAllah they grace our homelands like roses amongst thorns. It's just not appropriate to flash more flesh than required by sunnah :peace: :muslimah:

P.S neither did I say they should cover their ankles. The sunnah makes perfect sense.

Takumi
01-04-2006, 03:04 PM

Surely it's only the ankles that should be bare, not half the leg. Me and my mom were driving home one day and we saw this bro in that style... whaoooo his upper garment was like just below the knee all you could see were two hairy legs underneath the upper garment. I was like omg where's his trousers? So embarrassing!!! :embarrass

Anywayz, didnt mean to start a discussion but just don't wanna see a sight like that again. So plz plz plz, if this is you plz buy some longer length trousers and look a bit more decent. Thanks :phew

If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

I'm not being personal here. Here's my two cents.

Your being embarrassed is YOUR problem and you need to sit down and comfort your psyche. Not ours. I don't dress up because in the back of my mind there's a sister somewher who's going to evaluate my fashion sense.

I wear things that are most comfortable to ME. If that comfort means to roll up my pants until my knees, so be it. It's none of anyone's business, as long as I don't go around with 100% of my epidermis showing.

afriend
01-04-2006, 03:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Takumi

Your being embarrassed is YOUR problem and you need to sit down and comfort your psyche. Not ours. I don't dress up because in the back of my mind there's a sister somewher who's going to evaluate my fashion sense.

I wear things that are most comfortable to ME. If that comfort means to roll up my pants until my knees, so be it. It's none of anyone's business, as long as I don't go around with 100% of my epidermis showing.
LOL

Every time bro..........Always the wise talking style Mashallah.

I qonder where you get that tone of talking? it's kind of good....and wise.

afriend
01-04-2006, 03:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by metsudaistwice
salam
whats wrong with having the Prophet SAW as your role model?? or Sheikh Shuraim? (this is not a comaprison between our Prophet SAW and SS, just an example)
wasalam
Mashallah......Rasoolullah (SAW) and Sheikh Shuraim......Very good examples....

Snowflake
01-04-2006, 03:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cldnite
Salamualaikum,

Jazakullah khair, sis. thnx for the insight. however, as stated, it is a sunnah to keep it half way b/t the knees and ankles. Also, i have seen more men without this sunnah than with it. so, i think it would be better to congratulate such zeal for the sunnah rather than make people feel embarassed. it's kind of like telling a sister, "omg, i know you wanna follow Islam by wearing a hijab n all, but... could u atleast wear some make-up? that black-head on your nose is reeeeeallly annoying!"

i hope you get my point, insh'Allah.

And Allah knows best wAllahuAlam. Salamualaikum.

Of courseeeee I get your point bro. All blackheads have a point lol ;D
No, seriously bro whats a big zit gotto do with what I said. I admire these broz so much. I just find it a tad embarrassing seeing too much leg. Is it wrong if I wish for brothers to cover up a bit more? :? :embarrass

Takumi
01-04-2006, 03:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by fozley
LOL

Every time bro..........Always the wise talking style Mashallah.

I qonder where you get that tone of talking? it's kind of good....and wise.
:) You're very generous fozley. Your opinion is duly noted. Of course, other people might just beg to differ. Which is perfectly fine with me.

Life is so much simpler and less complicated if you don't take things personally.

Snowflake
01-04-2006, 04:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Takumi

Relax bro. Don't take it so personally. I'm pretty sure there are things you see in others that leave you feelings embarrassed. The difference between you and me is that I shared what you call is my 'problem'. No amount of comforting my psyche is going to make me immune to embarrassment at seeing a brothers legs. Hey that's me. Ima woman. I'm gonna feel shy if I see a muslim bro's flesh. Should I apologise about it? No way! At the end of the day, I am not trying to (neither could I) 'force' anyone to do anything they don't want. It's only a wish that I see some broz dress accordingly to sunnah, for very obvious reasons.

I don't know what offended you so much. Seems like I hit a raw nerve. Whats the ME about? Did I make this thread to attack you? You've gone all frazzled about your rights to dress how you want. Of course its everyones business how you dress. Don't act so gorafied (westernised) in that it's no one else's business. We muslims have rules to obey for the benefit of society not just individual needs. So how you dress is my business. You think wandering around in public 'as long as 100% of your epidermis is not showing is not anyones business? So 99% is ok? You go to mosque in ur y-fronts on a hot summers days and see if it's no one elses business! Go to janazah, dressed inappropriately, go to someone's house dressed inappropriately and you'll soon realise just how it is someone else's business. I think you need to grind ur westernised psyche with some rock hard eastern facts.

A muslim woman is told to cover up cuz if she beautifies herself and goes out, ghair mehrams see her, the sin is upon her if they stare, and upon those who look intentionally. She cannot say "Hey, its no one else's business how I dress, as long as I'm not showing 100% of my epidermis!" So don't fob me off with your human rights activists palaver.

As muslims we're all guided by laws, for the sake and benefit of the whole muslim ummah not for the comfort of any one individual at the expense of
others. Ouch I gotto stop here cuz am ill and gotto go to see doc. Anywayz, no hard feelings bro, cuz I cant hold grudges just cuz of different opinions. So will ya pray for my health plz inshaAllah.. lol :):? :embarrass

:muslimah:

1m@@n
01-04-2006, 04:34 PM

exactly what i was thinking...*agrees 110%*

1m@@n
01-04-2006, 04:37 PM
:hmm: You just admitted that normally ppl look at faces first, whereas you said before that I shouldnt have looked at all. It's the intention that counts sis. Allah knows I don't get kicks out of it. Don't make me feel like a biggggg sinner plzzz:'(
aww sis...dont worrie...we all make mistakes...Allah swt knows the intensions in our hearts subhanaAllah....

Takumi
01-04-2006, 06:15 PM

Relax bro. Don't take it so personally. I'm pretty sure there are things you see in others that leave you feelings embarrassed. The difference between you and me is that I shared what you call is my 'problem'. No amount of comforting my psyche is going to make me immune to embarrassment at seeing a brothers legs. Hey that's me. Ima woman. I'm gonna feel shy if I see a muslim bro's flesh. Should I apologise about it? No way! At the end of the day, I am not trying to (neither could I) 'force' anyone to do anything they don't want. It's only a wish that I see some broz dress accordingly to sunnah, for very obvious reasons.

As muslims we're all guided by laws, for the sake and benefit of the whole muslim ummah not for the comfort of any one individual at the expense of
others. Ouch I gotto stop here cuz am ill and gotto go to see doc. Anywayz, no hard feelings bro, cuz I cant hold grudges just cuz of different opinions. So will ya pray for my health plz inshaAllah.. lol :):? :embarrass

:muslimah:

Maybe you missed the second sentence that I wasn't being personal.

so which law did the brother who embarrassed you break? Your sharing your embarrassment law?

I don't belong to the east nor west.

Do I really even care whether you're a woman? Truly I don't. Your feelings are yours to handle. Not mine. So before you share them be ready to face the fact that some people don't share your EMBARASSMENT. If you can't handle that, stop writing.

Again, if someone's not doing anything wrong, let him be.

I don't like some sisters wearing tight shirts and jeans while wearing hijaab either and I don't fancy some sisters wearing pants, but I don't go bru ha ha about it. All I have to do is go to them and advice.

Not make a public announcement about MY WISH and EMBARASSMENT and assume that someone takes things personally.

Stop whining. Live life.

sumay28
01-04-2006, 06:31 PM
:embarrass :scared: :muddlehea :X :phew Ya Allah plz let the mods turn a blind eye to this post lololol. Sis I love ur honesty but if this thread is closed Im gonna kill ya lololol ;D;D;D

I did mention that I cover my eyes to prevent sinning. :coolsis: Now if I said something else it would not have been appropriate.

Snowflake
01-04-2006, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by swanlake

>sorry sis but you shouldnt have looked his 'hairy' legs to begin with. Your eyes shouldnt linger even if you find it distateful.

Sister 1maan uk

>exactly what i was thinking...*agrees 110%*

So apart from your family, are you telling me that both of you have never looked at another man?

Snowflake
01-04-2006, 07:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sumay28
I did mention that I cover my eyes to prevent sinning. :coolsis: Now if I said something else it would not have been appropriate.

I know good girl. It was hilarious though, made my day ;D

- Qatada -
01-04-2006, 07:15 PM

I really think that this threads not worth it.. she saw it by accident and we makin a mountain out of a molehill (lol i sound lyk a old man :p). so this threadz gna be closed down soon.. i think.

Takumi
01-04-2006, 07:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah

I really think that this threads not worth it.. she saw it by accident and we makin a mountain out of a molehill (lol i sound lyk a old man :p). so this threadz gna be closed down soon.. i think.

We? I beg to differ. No, I'm not being personal here :rollseyes

afriend2
01-04-2006, 07:30 PM
salaam,
i agree that this thread should be closed as it isnt fair on anyone.

Allah knows best.
wassalam,:peace:

Halima
01-04-2006, 09:58 PM

I think all brothers got the point that they should have to abide by the Islamic apparel. Nothing more is to be said, we have posted up fatwas incase if any brother wasn't clear of how to abide by the Islamic apparel .Futhermore I just might have to close this thread. The way how I see it, this thread will eventually proceed to free posting which is what we want to avoid (insha'Allah).

:threadclo:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.