Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 75
  1. #21
    Limited Member mateenah95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    6
    Threads
    1
    Reputation
    10
    Rep Power
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    5

    Re: Help! Very Confused About the Islamic Ruling On Cannabis & Psychedelic Use!


    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    It is pretty arguable, as a far as I know.
    Islam forbids what clouds your mind, but caffeine clouds your mind not too far from what Cannabis does - just differently.
    It is all a gray area.


    Here is an interesting graph about the different types

    They have their pros and cons, but I think people look at Cannabis through their reefer madness goggles.
    Thanks for the chart snow! This is one of the factors I have based my argument on. If cannabis is haram, why isnt coffee haram by the same standards?
    1 | Likes Snow liked this post

  2. Report bad ads?
  3. #22
    IB Oldtimer Eric H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    uk
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Christianity
    Posts
    2,995
    Threads
    28
    Reputation
    47769
    Rep Power
    99
    Likes (Given)
    3244
    Likes (Received)
    2091

    Re: Help! Very Confused About the Islamic Ruling On Cannabis & Psychedelic Use!


    Greetings and peace be with you czgibson;

    It's a bit like the situation with music. It's one of humanity's great artforms, and the benefits of music are obvious to almost everyone, yet it is forbidden in Islam. There's no point looking for a reason for this, because there is no good reason other than "Allah says so".
    On the one hand, I enjoy a couple of beers, or a couple of glasses of wine, so far in life I have been able to control my intake of alcohol. If you have no real emotional problems, alcohol can be enjoyable. On the other hand, I have been a Street Pastor for eight years, I am often out until 3 - 4 am, and I see the horrible things alcohol leads to. It seems to bring out the worst in people, real anger, fights, depression and stupidness. When girls have had a few drinks, they will say yes to things; that they would not say yes to when they are sober, alcohol seems to cloud rational thinking, my dad died an alcoholic. Loud music and alcohol combined, can bring on a state of euphoria, it can cloud the mind, I've been there and done it.

    Should I give up my enjoyable and possibly responsible drinking habits, just because some people cannot control theirs, should alcohol become illegal?

    God sees the bigger picture, he sees all of mankind, generation after generation, and he sees how some people suffer, he sees how alcohol controls people who are depressed in some way. I believe it is God's intention to try and prevent suffering, so I can see the sense in making addictive mind altering stimulants illegal.

    In the spirit of searching for God.

    Eric
    1 | Likes GodIsAll liked this post
    Help! Very Confused About the Islamic Ruling On Cannabis & Psychedelic Use!

    You will never look into the eyes of anyone who does not matter to God.

  4. #23
    IB Oldskool sister herb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    8,151
    Threads
    332
    Reputation
    51978
    Rep Power
    97
    Likes (Given)
    5345
    Likes (Received)
    6178

    Re: Help! Very Confused About the Islamic Ruling On Cannabis & Psychedelic Use!


    Is it harm to smoke weed (Marijuana) occasionally especially when stressed out?.

    Published Date: 2008-09-01


    Praise be to Allaah.

    Hasheesh of all types is haraam, whether it is marijuana or any other type.

    Al-‘Allaamah Ibn Hajar al-Haythami said in al-Fataawa al-Fiqhiyyah (4/233), speaking of hasheeh:

    The evidence for its being forbidden is the report narrated by Ahmad in his Musnad and by Abu Dawood in his Sunan with a saheeh isnaad from Umm Salamah (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade all kinds of intoxicants and relaxants. The scholars said that relaxants are things that cause drowsiness and languor in the limbs. This hadeeth indicates that hasheesh in particular is haraam, because it intoxicates and relaxes, which is why those who consume it sleep a great deal. Al-Qaraafi and Ibn Taymiyah narrated that there is scholarly consensus that it is haraam and said: The one who regards it as permissible is a kaafir. He said: The only reason why the four imams (may Allaah have mercy on them) did not speak of it is that it was not known at their time, rather it only appeared at the end of the sixth century AH and the beginning of the seventh century when the Tatar state emerged. End quote.

    Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in al-Fataawa al-Kubra (3/425): Consuming this hasheesh in solid form is haraam, and it is one of the most evil of haraam plants, whether a little of it is consumed or a lot. End quote.

    Consuming intoxicants is haraam regardless of the way in which they are consumed.

    Al-‘Allaamah Ibn Qaasim al-Shaafa’i said: What is meant by the drinker is the consumer, whether it is drunk or consumed otherwise, whether there is consensus on its being forbidden or there is a difference of opinion concerning that, and whether it is solid or liquid, cooked or raw. End quote.

    Sharee’ah only forbids the consumption of drugs and intoxicants because of the great harm that they cause to the mind, soul, family and society. We have discussed some of these harmful effects in the answer to question no. 66227.

    As for stress and anxiety, you may rest assured that the remedy for them is not to be found in smoking hasheesh or any other haraam thing. Allaah has not put the remedy of this ummah in that which He has forbidden to it. In Saheeh Muslim (3670) it says that asked the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) about alcohol and he forbade him or told him not to make it. He said: “But I make it as a remedy.” He said: “It is not a remedy, it is a disease.”

    If you want to rid yourself of anxiety, then we advise you to do several things, including the following:

    1- Pray a great deal for forgiveness with proper presence of mind.

    2- Do wudoo’ and pray, for these are the greatest means of helping oneself to be patient in dealing with hardship and dispelling worry.

    3- Remember Allaah a great deal (dhikr), because this is a sure way to attain peace of mind and tranquillity.

    4- Send a great deal of blessings upon the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). In Sunan al-Tirmidhi (2381) it is narrated that Ubayy (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: I said: O Messenger of Allaah, I send a great deal of blessings upon you. How much of my du’aa’ should I make for you? He said: “Whatever you wish.” I said: One-quarter? He said: “Whatever you wish, but if you do more it will be better for you.” I said: One half? He said: “Whatever you wish, but if you do more it will be better for you.” I said: Two-thirds? He said: “Whatever you wish, but if you do more it will be better for you.” I said: I will make all my du’aa’ for you. He said: “Then your worries will be taken care of and your sins will be forgiven.” Classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh Sunan al-Tirmidhi.

    This is in addition to avoiding the causes of stress and anxiety as much as possible. If the source of this anxiety and stress is worry about the future, such as how you will learn a living and so on, then you must think in positive terms of Allaah and sincerely put your trust in Him. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

    “And whosoever puts his trust in Allaah, then He will suffice him. Verily, Allaah will accomplish his purpose. Indeed Allaah has set a measure for all things”

    [al-Talaaq 65:3]

    May Allaah help us and you to do all good.
    1 | Likes muslimah_B liked this post
    Help! Very Confused About the Islamic Ruling On Cannabis & Psychedelic Use!

    From Occupied Palestine:

    We have suffered too much for too long. We will not accept apartheid masked as peace. We will settle for no less than our freedom.




  5. #24
    IB Oldskool sister herb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    8,151
    Threads
    332
    Reputation
    51978
    Rep Power
    97
    Likes (Given)
    5345
    Likes (Received)
    6178

    Re: Help! Very Confused About the Islamic Ruling On Cannabis & Psychedelic Use!


    Can caffeine be considered as Haram(not allowed for Muslims) · since it is considered alkaloid and it is in the same group as Nicotine, Cocaine, Morphine, LSD.....? Also excessive intake of caffeine can cause restlessness, insomnia, heart irregularities and delirium.

    Published Date: 2001-05-02



    Praise be to Allaah.

    Undoubtedly anything that is harmful is haraam. Hence Allaah forbade alcohol because it affects the mind, and smoking is forbidden because it causes widespread harm and diseases. It is also known that there are permissible drinks which do not cause harm, such as coffee and tea, which usually do not cause harm and are usually drunk for relaxation, so there is nothing wrong with drinking them. And there are other good drinks such as milk and fruit juices. If some of those things which are nowadays known as refreshments cause harm, then they should be considered an extravagance.

    Shaykh ‘Abd –Allaah ibn Jibreen.

    https://islamqa.info/en/9237

    -------------------------------

    Coffee, tea and sugar can be harmful; are they haraam like cigarettes?


    Some friends and I had a disagreement when we were discussing the prohibition on things that are harmful. The topic of the discussion was smoking, and I quoted as evidence the verse in which Allah says (interpretation of the meaning): “and prohibits them as unlawful Al-Khabaa’ith (i.e. all evil and unlawful as regards things, deeds, beliefs, persons, foods, etc.)” [al-A ‘raaf 7:157]. I said: Everything that is harmful is haraam. They said: Then tea, coffee, cola, sugar and water are all haraam, because drinking too much water may cause death by suffocation, and consuming sugar in very large amounts may elevate blood sugar levels, which leads to shock and causes death. Everything that may be consumed in large amounts and is undoubtedly halaal could still cause harm. What is the guideline on the prohibition on consuming things that may cause harm?.

    Published Date: 2012-06-19


    Praise be to Allaah.

    Firstly:

    We have previously discussed the prohibition on smoking and the reasons for this prohibition in the answers to questions no. 9083 and 10922

    No one should argue about tobacco being evil and haraam. It has a foul odour and has a bad effect on the smoker and the people around him. There is no difference of opinion among doctors concerning the fact that smoking is harmful to the body. Whatever is like this comes under the heading of al-khabaa’ith (that which is evil and unlawful). One of the characteristics of the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) is that he came to permit what is good and forbid what is evil.

    Shaykh ‘Abd ar-Rahmaan as-Sa‘di (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

    Allah, may He be exalted, says to His Prophet Muhammad (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him): “They ask you (O Muhammad SAW) what is lawful for them (as food)” [al-Maa’idah 5:4].

    “Say: Lawful unto you are At-Tayyibat (all kind of Halal (lawful and good) foods)” – this refers to everything in which there is benefit or pleasure without it being harmful to the body or mind. That includes all grains and fruits that may be found on farms and in the wilderness. It also includes all sea animals and all land animals apart from those excluded by the Lawgiver, such as carnivores and vermin. Hence the verse implies that khabaa’ith (whatever is bad and unlawful) are haraam, as is clearly stated in the verse (interpretation of the meaning): “he allows them as lawful At-Taiyibat ((i.e. all good and lawful) as regards things, deeds, beliefs, persons, foods, etc.), and prohibits them as unlawful Al-Khabaith (i.e. all evil and unlawful as regards things, deeds, beliefs, persons, foods, etc.),” [al-A‘raaf 7:157].

    End quote.

    Tafseer as-Sa‘di, p. 221

    Numerous fatwas have been issued by the scholars concerning the prohibition on smoking.

    The scholars of the Standing Committee for Issuing Fatwas said:

    Smoking is haraam because it has been proven that it is damaging to one’s health, and because it comes under the heading of al-khabaa’ith (that which is evil and unlawful), and because it is extravagance (a waste of money). And Allah, may He be exalted, says (interpretation of the meaning): “and prohibits them as unlawful Al-Khabaith (i.e. all evil and unlawful as regards things, deeds, beliefs, persons, foods, etc.)” [al-A‘raaf 7:157].

    Shaykh Ibraaheem ibn Muhammad Aal ash-Shaykh, Shaykh ‘Abd ar-Razzaaq ‘Afeefi, Shaykh ‘Abdullah Ghadyaan.

    Fataawa al-Lajnah ad-Daa’imah, 22/178-179

    They also said:

    Smoking is haraam because it comes under the heading of al-khabaa’ith (that which is evil and unlawful), and Allah and His Messenger have forbidden al-khabaa’ith (that which is evil and unlawful). Allah says, describing the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him): “he allows them as lawful At-Taiyibat ((i.e. all good and lawful) as regards things, deeds, beliefs, persons, foods, etc.), and prohibits them as unlawful Al-Khabaith (i.e. all evil and unlawful as regards things, deeds, beliefs, persons, foods, etc.),” [al-A‘raaf 7:157].

    End quote.

    Shaykh ‘Abd ar-Razzaaq ‘Afeefi, Shaykh ‘Abdullah ibn Ghadyaan. Shaykh ‘Abdullah ibn Munayyi‘

    Fataawa al-Lajnah ad-Daa’imah, 22/179, 180

    Thus it becomes clear that quoting the verse “and prohibits them as unlawful Al-Khabaith (i.e. all evil and unlawful as regards things, deeds, beliefs, persons, foods, etc.)” [al-A ‘raaf 7:157] as evidence for the prohibition on smoking is correct.

    There is no disagreement concerning the fact that smoking is something that causes harm to the smoker; indeed it also causes harm to the people around him who inhale the smoke that comes from the cigarette. The basic Islamic principle is that everything that is proven to be harmful is haraam.

    Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

    The evidence for the prohibition of that which is harmful is to be found in the Qur’aan and the Sunnah.

    From the Qur’aan:

    “and do not throw yourselves into destruction”

    [al-Baqarah 2:195]

    “And do not kill yourselves (nor kill one another)”

    [an-Nisa’ 4:29]

    The prohibition on killing oneself is also a prohibition on the means of doing so. Whatever causes harm is haraam.

    The Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “There should be neither harming nor reciprocating harm.” We might also quote as evidence the verse in which Allah says (interpretation of the meaning):

    “But if you are ill or on a journey or any of you comes from answering the call of nature, or you have been in contact with women (i.e. sexual intercourse) and you find no water, then perform Tayammum with clean earth”

    [al-Maa’idah 5:6].

    The point here is that Allah enjoined tayammum for the one who is sick so as to protect him from harm and to offer him an alternative to water, which may harm him if he uses it when it is cold and he is sick and so on. End quote.

    Ash-Sharh al-Mumti‘, 15/12, 13

    Nowadays there is no disagreement that smoking is harmful.

    Shaykh al-‘Uthaymeen (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

    The same applies to smoking, which is harmful in and of itself. The fact that it is harmful is a matter on which doctors are unanimously agreed nowadays, and there is no difference of opinion among them on that score, because tobacco contains toxic substances that damage the blood. End quote.

    Ash-Sharh al-Mumti‘, 15/10

    Secondly:

    As for your friend’s comparing tobacco to permissible food and drinks which may be harmful if consumed in large quantities, this is an invalid argument, because these foods are permissible and beneficial in principle, and are only harmful in certain cases, such as if one consumes too much of them.

    The principle mentioned above, that everything that is harmful is forbidden, also applies in this case. It is not permissible for anyone to drink so much water or eat so many dates – for example – that he will be harmed thereby.

    Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

    In the case of that which is harmful in conjunction with something else, such as if this food is not compatible with that food, in the sense that if you eat the two foods together it will result in harm, but if you eat them separately that will not result in harm, and the doctor has advised this dietary restriction for one who is sick and has told him, “If you eat it, it will harm you,” then it becomes haraam for him.

    Shaykh al-Islam (may Allah have mercy on him) said: If a person feels that some kind of food will cause him harm or give him indigestion, then it becomes haraam for him.

    If a person says: If I fill my belly with this food, I will need water, and if I add water to it I will hardly be able to walk and it will bother me; and if I sit it will bother me, and if I bow it will bother me, and if I lie on my back it will bother me, and if I lie on my stomach it will bother me. In this case Shaykh al-Islam says:

    If he fears that it will harm him, then it becomes haraam for him to eat it. And what he said is correct, because it is not permissible for a person to eat that which will harm him or to wear that which will harm him or to sit on that which will harm him. Even the Sahaabah (may Allah be pleased with them), with regard to prostration, if the heat would harm them, they would spread out their garments and prostrate on them, lest they be harmed and so that they might be at ease in prayer.

    What Shaykh al-Islam mentioned comes under the heading of fear of harm and indigestion, meaning that it is not as a result of the food itself, rather it is the result of consuming too much of it, and even if there is someone who would not be harmed by that, but based on the medical advice that he will be harmed, because if the stomach is filled it will bother him and cause some discomfort…

    It was said that one of the harmful things is to eat food on top of other food. If that is correct then it is also haraam, because Allah says (interpretation of the meaning): “And do not kill or murder your own persons. Surely, Allah is, towards you, continuously Merciful” [an-Nisa’ 4:29].

    It is not far fetched to say that this is correct. As it is something that it tried and tested. End quote.

    Ash-Sharh al-Mumti‘, 15/9-11

    And he said:

    If it is said to a man who has diabetes: Do not eat dates or sweets, then dates and sweets become haraam for him, because they are harmful for him and he has to avoid them, but they are halaal for others. End quote.

    Liqaa’aat al-Baab al-Maftooh, 229, question no. 2

    Thus it becomes clear that your friend’s drawing an analogy between permissible food and drink, and tobacco, which is haraam, was incorrect.

    And Allah knows best.

    https://islamqa.info/en/118268
    2 | Likes muslimah_B, Search liked this post
    Help! Very Confused About the Islamic Ruling On Cannabis & Psychedelic Use!

    From Occupied Palestine:

    We have suffered too much for too long. We will not accept apartheid masked as peace. We will settle for no less than our freedom.




  6. #25
    IB Oldtimer M.I.A.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    2,467
    Threads
    17
    Reputation
    5964
    Rep Power
    71
    Likes (Given)
    26
    Likes (Received)
    632

    Re: Help! Very Confused About the Islamic Ruling On Cannabis & Psychedelic Use!


    Can sugar be considered haram?

    It has proven health implications.. although fruit is naturally occurring in most places.

    ...how bout the corn syrup?

    Who pursues the high blood sugar?



    ..or low in some cases.. to get back on topic.



    *Insert Jesus badly paraphrased popular quote here* pbuh..

    About stunned chicken or something.


    Matthew 15:11 Google version..

    Although take it with a pinch of salt, don't forget what you already know.

    Quran 5:75

    The Messiah, son of Mary, was not but a messenger; [other] messengers have passed on before him. And his mother was a supporter of truth. They both used to eat food. Look how We make clear to them the signs; then look how they are deluded.
    Last edited by M.I.A.; 07-16-2016 at 01:48 PM.
    1 | Likes Snow liked this post

  7. #26
    Full Member Snow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    A cold place
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    263
    Threads
    29
    Reputation
    1390
    Rep Power
    17
    Likes (Given)
    632
    Likes (Received)
    185

    Re: Help! Very Confused About the Islamic Ruling On Cannabis & Psychedelic Use!


    Quote Originally Posted by mateenah95 View Post
    Thanks for the chart snow! This is one of the factors I have based my argument on. If cannabis is haram, why isnt coffee haram by the same standards?
    No problem.
    A few posters in this thread have mentioned that it is harmful - without backing that claim up.
    You can easily overdose on coffee. Not the case with Cannabis.
    I smoke a little.
    Not to get totally stoned. Just to get the relaxed feeling (I only smoke Indica).
    Sometimes not for months. At other times, a couple of times a week.
    Nothing major.
    1 | Likes beleiver liked this post

  8. #27
    Limited Member kwyjibo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    5
    Threads
    0
    Reputation
    9
    Rep Power
    0
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Re: Help! Very Confused About the Islamic Ruling On Cannabis & Psychedelic Use!


    This does deserve further discussion. Do psychedelics really intoxicate? What exactly does intoxicate mean? I've been seriously considering taking psychedelics based on stumbling upon research that shows they can cure anxiety disorders and people report that SSRI drugs were very harmful, and when they resorted to psilocybin (shrooms), they were able to get over their irrational anxiety and even get over depression. The reason that the medical industry is against them is that toy can't patent them and they work better than the crappy, side effect heavy anti depressant and abs anxiety drugs that make then billions of dollars and lead the users to be dependent, whereas just a single use of a psychedelic can have lasting positive result. Google psilocybin or psychedlics and anxiety, ocd, depression ect. You'll find all the studies show in a clinical setting, they heal a host of mental health concerns. They are not perfect, and can harm those predisposed to schizophrenia, but otherwise appear safe. Whether they are truly haram is what I'm not sure about myself, and researching but not finding a clear answer.
    1 | Likes beleiver liked this post

  9. #28
    Full Member Born_Believer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Earth, The Milkyway
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    318
    Threads
    6
    Reputation
    1006
    Rep Power
    25
    Likes (Given)
    172
    Likes (Received)
    198

    Re: Help! Very Confused About the Islamic Ruling On Cannabis & Psychedelic Use!


    I'm glad that most of the posts here have said, categorically, the cannabis is haram. It most certainly is. As is any other drug that changes ones state of mind, their behaviour and causes harm. Comparisons to coffee are a bit of a joke and with a medical background, I can tell you coffee does not have the same effect as cannabis, alcohol etc.

    I won't go into the science too much as people who make excuse for their on haram behaviour will continue to do so.

    If you want to listen to the truth, read the Quran, study the sunnah and read what the scholars have to say on this issue. If you still don't get off the drugs (I know, it is very difficult, from my own personal experience of having dealt with addicts) then it's your problem. Not Islams or the use of this forum to find some legitimacy with your use...or an excuse.

  10. #29
    IB Oldtimer M.I.A.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    2,467
    Threads
    17
    Reputation
    5964
    Rep Power
    71
    Likes (Given)
    26
    Likes (Received)
    632

    Re: Help! Very Confused About the Islamic Ruling On Cannabis & Psychedelic Use!


    ...I guess the badly phrased quote was something to do with..

    it's not what goes into the mouth that defiles a man..


    because it's not clear sometimes.. in my clearly clear posts..

    that rather worryingly were missing the edit button.

    ...for people that pride themselves on reading you don't need any help making mistakes.
    Last edited by M.I.A.; 09-15-2016 at 07:56 PM.

  11. Report bad ads?
  12. #30
    Limited Member Spartakos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    4
    Threads
    0
    Reputation
    5
    Rep Power
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Re: Help! Very Confused About the Islamic Ruling On Cannabis & Psychedelic Use!


    Sure is not allowed cus it changes ur mind state etc etc.. but for medical purposes i wouldnt avoid it for the reason its 'Harram' even alcohol is used in Clinics etc for medical purposes etc etc and its not harram when it comes to that, why would canna be harram then? it depends on how you use it and with which intention!

  13. #31
    IB Oldtimer M.I.A.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    2,467
    Threads
    17
    Reputation
    5964
    Rep Power
    71
    Likes (Given)
    26
    Likes (Received)
    632

    Re: Help! Very Confused About the Islamic Ruling On Cannabis & Psychedelic Use!


    who is spartakos?

    I'm kidding I know who Spartakos is..

    I guess your right, but self medication is a no no..


    my post was mostly for the spartakos quip. hope ya settle into the forum.
    Last edited by M.I.A.; 09-15-2016 at 10:41 PM.

  14. #32
    Limited Member Spartakos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    4
    Threads
    0
    Reputation
    5
    Rep Power
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Re: Help! Very Confused About the Islamic Ruling On Cannabis & Psychedelic Use!


    Quote Originally Posted by M.I.A. View Post
    who is spartakos?

    I'm kidding I know who Spartakos is..

    I guess your right, but self medication is a no no..


    my post was mostly for the spartakos quip. hope ya settle into the forum.
    Well brother i am Spartakos !
    Not Spartacus though!

  15. #33
    Limited Member Rom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    1
    Threads
    0
    Reputation
    5
    Rep Power
    0
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Re: Help! Very Confused About the Islamic Ruling On Cannabis & Psychedelic Use!


    Quote Originally Posted by mateenah95 View Post
    Asalamualikum everyone, I am in need for some guidance and help on a topic which has thoroughly confused me. Before I go any further, here is some background about me: although I do not practice Islam in my everyday life as much as I like, I am a Muslim and so is everyone in my family. I am currently 20 years old and a student in University of Toronto, Canada.

    Now that I have gotten that out of the way, here is my question and argument. I have been using Cannabis for quite some time now and also started using psychedelics in the last few of months - in specific "psilocybin mushrooms", "lysergic acid diethylamide 25 (LSD-25)". Both psilocybin mushrooms (shrooms) and LSD are psychedelic or hallucinogenic substances. I am also trying to obtain “Dimethyltryptamine (DMT)” which is the most powerful psychedelic chemical known to man because my views on psychedelics and cannabis do not align with Islamic teachings and thus I am looking for answers and want to argue my case to someone with enough knowledge to help me.
    Currently my religious half and my logical/scientific half are in great conflict with each other and it is causing me too much discomfort and dissatisfaction with life in general. According to Islam, my lifestyle of this substance use is Haram and will lead to punishment in this world and the hereafter. But as a person, I am not simply strong enough to believe and practice something without it actually making sense. As a result I am stuck between what people called “The devil and the deep blue sea”. So, is anyone here knowledgeable enough on the topic to help me? When I mean help, I mean to talk to me and debate with me on this topic to come to a conclusion?

    I’d like to thank everyone in advance - Thankyou and Asalamualikum.
    Yo your question exemplifies the exact knowledge I'm trying to seek. I'm also 20yr old student, and it is a difficult to question to find an answer to at the present moment. I have conducted similar research, but still, I wondered if you reached an answer that could also benefit?

  16. #34
    Full Member beleiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Jedi
    Posts
    65
    Threads
    2
    Reputation
    38
    Rep Power
    2
    Likes (Given)
    63
    Likes (Received)
    33

    Re: Help! Very Confused About the Islamic Ruling On Cannabis & Psychedelic Use!


    Interesting thread,

    One of the most confusing things for me with Islam is the prohibition of Cannabis, I am not a Muslim but have faith in one God and recently read the Quoran which i believe deals with the issue of intoxicants perfectly..
    I have traveled a good bit in Muslim countries and came to know a good few practicing Muslims , who told me they and their God have no problem with Cannabis..I have never understood why it is classed as haram.

    From my understanding the Quran deals with the issue of intoxicants in the table spread? The first passage that introduces the issue is 87
    O ye who believe!
    Make not unlawful
    The good things which God
    Hath made lawful for you,
    But commit no excess:
    For God loveth not
    Those given to excess.

    or

    O you who believe! Make not unlawful the Taiyibat (all that is good as regards foods, things, deeds, beliefs, persons, etc.) which Allah has made lawful to you, and transgress not. Verily, Allah does not like the transgressors.

    Are people not aware of the benefits of this good plant?
    This is the oldest known medicine in the world, it can be used in industry, construction, makes paper, clothing, rope, food, it has many many more uses, it absorbs much CO2 and releases lots of oxygen, it grows everywhere..This plant can heal humanity, it is surely a gift from God.
    And it is not Toxic..Aspirin is more toxic.
    Neither are most hallucinogens..there is no overdose limit..Its one of the worlds safest medicines.
    The direct translation for the word 'intoxicant' (please correct me if wrong) is to cover , if something covers the mind , makes it cloudy then yep its not good, hallucinogens dont do this they open the mind...

    Now i am not saying constant use is good , too much of anything is bad, drinking Coffee all day is bad, but to prohibit this plant and consumption of it imho is a greater crime than consuming it.

    I could write much more on this subject but urge the Muslim community to reassess their position on this subject..

  17. #35
    Full Member Reminder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    196
    Threads
    26
    Reputation
    793
    Rep Power
    6
    Likes (Given)
    58
    Likes (Received)
    107

    Re: Help! Very Confused About the Islamic Ruling On Cannabis & Psychedelic Use!


    Question:

    Did Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) (#1 human ever born) use or recommend cannabis & psychedelics?

  18. #36
    IB Oldskool sister herb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    8,151
    Threads
    332
    Reputation
    51978
    Rep Power
    97
    Likes (Given)
    5345
    Likes (Received)
    6178

    Re: Help! Very Confused About the Islamic Ruling On Cannabis & Psychedelic Use!


    https://islamqa.info/en/115761


    Is it harm to smoke weed (Marijuana) occasionally especially when stressed out?.

    Published Date: 2008-09-01


    Praise be to Allaah.

    Hasheesh of all types is haraam, whether it is marijuana or any other type.

    Al-‘Allaamah Ibn Hajar al-Haythami said in al-Fataawa al-Fiqhiyyah (4/233), speaking of hasheeh:

    The evidence for its being forbidden is the report narrated by Ahmad in his Musnad and by Abu Dawood in his Sunan with a saheeh isnaad from Umm Salamah (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade all kinds of intoxicants and relaxants. The scholars said that relaxants are things that cause drowsiness and languor in the limbs. This hadeeth indicates that hasheesh in particular is haraam, because it intoxicates and relaxes, which is why those who consume it sleep a great deal. Al-Qaraafi and Ibn Taymiyah narrated that there is scholarly consensus that it is haraam and said: The one who regards it as permissible is a kaafir. He said: The only reason why the four imams (may Allaah have mercy on them) did not speak of it is that it was not known at their time, rather it only appeared at the end of the sixth century AH and the beginning of the seventh century when the Tatar state emerged. End quote.

    ---------------------------

    http://islamhelpline.net/node/6028

    Allah says in the Holy Quran Chapter 5 Surah Maidah verses 90-91:

    90 O ye who believe! Intoxicants and gambling, (dedication of) stones, and (divination by) arrows, are an abomination of the Shaytaan's handiwork; Eschew such (abomination) that ye may prosper.

    91 The Shaytaan's plan is (but) to excite enmity and hatred between you with intoxicants and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of Allah and from prayer: will ye not then abstain?



    Sunan of Abu-Dawood Hadith 3679 Narrated by Aisha

    I heard the Messenger of Allah (saws) say: Every intoxicant is haraam; if a quantity of anything causes intoxication, a handful of it is (also) haraam.
    3 | Likes noraina, Shamnadanu, Reminder liked this post
    Help! Very Confused About the Islamic Ruling On Cannabis & Psychedelic Use!

    From Occupied Palestine:

    We have suffered too much for too long. We will not accept apartheid masked as peace. We will settle for no less than our freedom.




  19. #37
    Full Member beleiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Jedi
    Posts
    65
    Threads
    2
    Reputation
    38
    Rep Power
    2
    Likes (Given)
    63
    Likes (Received)
    33

    Re: Help! Very Confused About the Islamic Ruling On Cannabis & Psychedelic Use!


    Quote Originally Posted by sister herb View Post
    https://islamqa.info/en/115761


    Is it harm to smoke weed (Marijuana) occasionally especially when stressed out?.

    Published Date: 2008-09-01


    Praise be to Allaah.

    Hasheesh of all types is haraam, whether it is marijuana or any other type.

    Al-‘Allaamah Ibn Hajar al-Haythami said in al-Fataawa al-Fiqhiyyah (4/233), speaking of hasheeh:

    The evidence for its being forbidden is the report narrated by Ahmad in his Musnad and by Abu Dawood in his Sunan with a saheeh isnaad from Umm Salamah (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade all kinds of intoxicants and relaxants. The scholars said that relaxants are things that cause drowsiness and languor in the limbs. This hadeeth indicates that hasheesh in particular is haraam, because it intoxicates and relaxes, which is why those who consume it sleep a great deal. Al-Qaraafi and Ibn Taymiyah narrated that there is scholarly consensus that it is haraam and said: The one who regards it as permissible is a kaafir. He said: The only reason why the four imams (may Allaah have mercy on them) did not speak of it is that it was not known at their time, rather it only appeared at the end of the sixth century AH and the beginning of the seventh century when the Tatar state emerged. End quote.

    ---------------------------

    http://islamhelpline.net/node/6028

    Allah says in the Holy Quran Chapter 5 Surah Maidah verses 90-91:

    90 O ye who believe! Intoxicants and gambling, (dedication of) stones, and (divination by) arrows, are an abomination of the Shaytaan's handiwork; Eschew such (abomination) that ye may prosper.

    91 The Shaytaan's plan is (but) to excite enmity and hatred between you with intoxicants and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of Allah and from prayer: will ye not then abstain?



    Sunan of Abu-Dawood Hadith 3679 Narrated by Aisha

    I heard the Messenger of Allah (saws) say: Every intoxicant is haraam; if a quantity of anything causes intoxication, a handful of it is (also) haraam.
    Those verse from Quran are preceded with and in the context of , its is regression to outlaw what is good and what God made law full as i quoted previously...There is no reference to outlawing this herb, so how can it be so?
    Its a scientific fact that Cannabis is very not Toxic , recent studies prove its has the opposite effect of a Toxin..It enhances the brain and body functions with out depleting chemical reserves like most drugs and even Caffeine does..It protects the mind from neurological degradation.

    What is the original Arabic word used to describe intoxicant in the Quran? what is the direct translation, i dont even think it is intoxicant?

    What scholars and other humans say is surely irrelevant, if as we are commanded by God in the Quran to listen to God which is Truth and understand, he has no partner, no one can speak for him, and we focus on Truth and what God tells us directly..Then we need to actually study what the Truth is regarding this amazing plant and correct the error of our ways..
    I urge every one to study this, only the last decade really have scientists been able to study the effects of Cannabis, please look at these studies, with an open mind.

    I completely respect and understand why Islam promotes purity and agree its the best way, but for me as some one who was raised an atheist, i am certain i would not of led me to the great place where i am today, where i am a firm believer that does worship God (in my own way), if i hadn't consumed Cannabis in the past.
    I have asked myself and God the question for years , whether its really good or Bad, and have had it confirmed that it does protect and is good, thats my personal experience that i cant expect anyone else to believe, but inst that how God works? he doesn't want us to blindly follow others in case they err, or seek to deliberately lead astray from the Truth that is God?

    I dont mean to offend traditional Islamic Values or imply you are mislead, i just urge people to search for the Truth, and welcome respectful dialogue on this subject..As i know unjust prohibition turns people away from your great religion..

  20. #38
    * Tawakkul * noraina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    A small British town
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    2,598
    Threads
    104
    Reputation
    19731
    Rep Power
    20
    Likes (Given)
    8816
    Likes (Received)
    3486

    Re: Help! Very Confused About the Islamic Ruling On Cannabis & Psychedelic Use!


    Every toxicant is haraam, no matter how small the amount you take or even if it may have *some* benefits. Islam aims to create a society based on morals and values, and we all know that if used in even a small excess Cannabis can become a very harmful substance, and we all know it has been abused by many, many people.

    Some studies say that drinking some red wine is actually good for your health, and fine that may be true. But, still, the harms vastly outweigh it's benefits.

    The Qur'an acknowledges this in the verse: They ask you about wine and gambling. Say, “In them is great sin and [yet, some] benefit for people. But their sin is greater than their benefit.” And they ask you what they should spend. Say, “The excess [beyond needs].” Thus Allah makes clear to you the verses [of revelation] that you might give thought.[Surah Baqarah -2:219]

    Drugs such as these are addictive - perhaps you take a little when stressed. The next time you're stressed you'll take some more, and then some more, and then some and you'll become trapped in the vicious cycle of drug addiction. It may have worked for you, for a small minority of people, but how many people's lives have been destroyed just by using this substance? Isn't it so much more better, for the good of the majority of society, to prohibit this altogether?

    The Arabic word used for intoxicant is 'khamr', and I'm no expert on Arabic but it's root meaning is something which 'covers' or 'conceals' In this case the intellect of man. And Cannabis *does* intoxicate people, just read through this Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_(drug)

    I understand you were raised in an atheist family, so it may be you have to step outside of your cultural viewpoint and look at it from another perspective. It often happens when we try to use the 'ifs' and 'buys' we can become embroiled in a confusing and circular debate about the benefits and disadvantages cannabis may have. If we, however, just literally take on the Quranic commandments concerning intoxicants, it's quite clear they are prohibited.
    3 | Likes Ummshareef, Shamnadanu, sister herb liked this post
    Help! Very Confused About the Islamic Ruling On Cannabis & Psychedelic Use!

    Ya Muqallib al-Quloob, Thabbit Qalbi Ala Deenik
    Oh turner of the Hearts make my heart firm on Your Deen







  21. #39
    Full Member Ummshareef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    220
    Threads
    3
    Reputation
    1448
    Rep Power
    46
    Likes (Given)
    179
    Likes (Received)
    234

    Re: Help! Very Confused About the Islamic Ruling On Cannabis & Psychedelic Use!


    Assalamu alaikum,

    All intoxicants have been made haram, largely because they make you talk nonsense. This leads to backbiting then false accusation, which is a very serious sin in Islam and even has a prescribed punishment.
    3 | Likes noraina, Shamnadanu, Reminder liked this post

  22. Report bad ads?
  23. #40
    * Tawakkul * noraina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    A small British town
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    2,598
    Threads
    104
    Reputation
    19731
    Rep Power
    20
    Likes (Given)
    8816
    Likes (Received)
    3486

    Re: Help! Very Confused About the Islamic Ruling On Cannabis & Psychedelic Use!


    btw, your point about coffee - true caffeine does have a form of 'suppressant' or 'clouding' effect on the mind, and I think way back (like centuries ago) there was a heated debate amongst scholars about whether it is indeed an 'intoxicant'.

    And yes some may say you can easily get a 'high' from paracetamols or ibuprofen if you're so inclined, perhaps even chocolate, lol. The definition of 'khamr' into intoxicant is a very simplified definition from Arabic into English, and there is a difference between the Islamic and Western interpretations of 'intoxicant'. There is, however, a general consensus that cannabis in prohibited - and I've never heard otherwise. So this should be enough of an answer.

    A few years ago, we once had neighbours who would take drugs for recreational reasons, nothing too hard, but still drugs. They were infamous in the neighbourhood and neighbours would warn each other to avoid them. The police received so many complaints about them there were eventually forced to leave the house (being council tenants). But I remember looking at one of the girls, in her late teens, pretty, intelligent, stuck with this 'boyfriend' when she deserved a much better person, thinking what an utter waste she had made of her life so far. She should have been at school, studying, living with her parents....I remember that scared me from any form on intoxicant for life.
    1 | Likes Shamnadanu liked this post
    Help! Very Confused About the Islamic Ruling On Cannabis & Psychedelic Use!

    Ya Muqallib al-Quloob, Thabbit Qalbi Ala Deenik
    Oh turner of the Hearts make my heart firm on Your Deen







 

 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Hey there! Help! Very Confused About the Islamic Ruling On Cannabis & Psychedelic Use! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Help! Very Confused About the Islamic Ruling On Cannabis & Psychedelic Use!
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Is Cannabis usage haram?
    By Snow in forum General
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-30-2016, 09:59 PM
  2. The Ruling on Islamic Nasheeds
    By Ibn Abi Ahmed in forum Islamic Multimedia
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-17-2011, 08:20 AM
  3. Islamic ruling...
    By salam786 in forum General
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-16-2007, 04:49 PM
  4. Cannabis curred me
    By vorx in forum Health & Science
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 07-02-2007, 01:16 PM
  5. The Islamic Ruling On Horoscopes
    By Slave of Rehman in forum Education Issues
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-26-2006, 03:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •