Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1. #1
    Full Member Vigno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Posts
    190
    Threads
    16
    Reputation
    1401
    Rep Power
    43
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    What Atheists Follow


    Just a question

    What is the religion that most atheists follow when they finally start to believe?

  2. Report bad ads?
  3. #2
    IB Oldtimer Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Antipodes
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    1,169
    Threads
    13
    Reputation
    1406
    Rep Power
    54
    Likes (Given)
    63
    Likes (Received)
    177

    Re: What Atheists Follow


    Born again Christian.

  4. #3
    IB Oldtimer marwen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    2,092
    Threads
    91
    Reputation
    26874
    Rep Power
    63
    Likes (Given)
    1637
    Likes (Received)
    821

    Re: What Atheists Follow


    Quote Originally Posted by Vigno View Post
    Just a question

    What is the religion that most atheists follow when they finally start to believe?
    brother.

    Not really sure I got the question. But I think they will try to find the religion that gives perfectly the answers to most of their unanswered questions.
    Fortunately today, every person can browse all the existing religions and learn about them, and then finds his path.
    What Atheists Follow


    "O you who believe! Fear ALLAH as He should be feared" [aal 'Imraan, 102]

    يَـٰٓأَيُّہَا ٱلَّذِينَ ءَامَنُواْ ٱتَّقُواْ ٱللَّهَ حَقَّ تُقَاتِهِۦ آل عِمرَان - 102




  5. #4
    Full Member DavidK565's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Hinduism
    Posts
    102
    Threads
    2
    Reputation
    429
    Rep Power
    45
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Re: What Atheists Follow


    That is an interesting question. I don't know if I've ever seen statistics on that, but I would like to find some.

    I figure that they would either join their family's religion (whatever it was before they became an atheist) or one of the faster growing religions: evangelical (born-again) Christian, or Muslim.

    I wonder if at this point in time, we are seeing more people become Atheists or more people turning to religion....

  6. #5
    Full Member Vigno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Posts
    190
    Threads
    16
    Reputation
    1401
    Rep Power
    43
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Re: What Atheists Follow


    Quote Originally Posted by DavidK565 View Post
    That is an interesting question. I don't know if I've ever seen statistics on that, but I would like to find some.

    I figure that they would either join their family's religion (whatever it was before they became an atheist) or one of the faster growing religions: evangelical (born-again) Christian, or Muslim.

    I wonder if at this point in time, we are seeing more people become Atheists or more people turning to religion....
    I reckoned someone here knows a statistics about it or perhaps a background of it. Oh well maybe not..

    I think the ones who are serious about following a path would care to learn about religions. On the other hand, the ones who just want to be "free" would rather follow stuff like the big bang to set their minds free of thought and do as they please.

    So looking at the huge number of "freedom seekers" these days, the longer ark may unfortunately be pointing towards atheists.

  7. #6
    IB Oldskool Ramadhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Indonesia
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    6,472
    Threads
    64
    Reputation
    52878
    Rep Power
    81
    Likes (Given)
    1045
    Likes (Received)
    1261

    Re: What Atheists Follow


    I think many atheists are attracted by some easy, god-less religions such as buddhism (like this forum's trumble)

  8. #7
    Full Member Latitudinarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Posts
    33
    Threads
    2
    Reputation
    491
    Rep Power
    44
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Re: What Atheists Follow


    Last I heard, more theists were turning to atheism/agnosticism than the other way around but I suppose this is all region-dependent. Due to the popular New Atheist movement, droves of people are now professing their atheism in the UK and other commonwealth countries. It has also been acknowledged that many atheists will report themselves as religious to avoid social stigma in their families and in places that are feverishly religious, such as the southern USA and the Middle East.

    Certainly there are known former atheists that became religious, for example, notable Christian apologists, William Lane Craig and Kirk Cameron. Some come to religion via marriage - it helps if you outwardly share the same religion as your spouse and, in some cases, you have to be identified as a believer for the marriage to be sanctioned. The born-again Christian and other evangelical movements were able to reign in many non-practicing individuals who had previously been living out-of-control, aimless, hedonistic lifestyles.

    It's the lifestyle of the religious that is perhaps most appealing for those who become practicing theists. The sense of community, social support, ritual, righteousness and the pride of affiliation all factor into the equation. Indeed, there are plenty of atheists who have joined Churches and Mosques for this very reason - not because they actually believe in the scriptures and dogma but rather as a means to fulfill their emotional and social needs.

    The suggestion that atheists are those who reject religion so that they can live the easy free life is a complete fallacy. First of all, most atheists were raised in a religion and, in my experience, each struggled for some time to keep their comforting beliefs. Since most of the world is still clings to the inherited beliefs of their families, it's a difficult position to go against the grain. Ritual and spirituality have always been integral aspects of human life so they are not easy nor advisable to divorce oneself from. When one is no longer able to believe mystic explanations and commands, a psychological void needs to be filled. For some, it is via innocuous belief systems or practices that don't contradict reason. For example, many atheists, whether they practice Buddhism or not, meditate regularly. Similarly, former Muslims I know will continue to do their daily prayers as an alternate form of meditation. Then there are others still, like myself, who unable to believe ancient stories, scriptures and doctrines, continue to believe in God but as a deist.

  9. #8
    Full Member DavidK565's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Hinduism
    Posts
    102
    Threads
    2
    Reputation
    429
    Rep Power
    45
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Re: What Atheists Follow


    Quote Originally Posted by Latitudinarian View Post
    ....The suggestion that atheists are those who reject religion so that they can live the easy free life is a complete fallacy. First of all, most atheists were raised in a religion and, in my experience, each struggled for some time to keep their comforting beliefs. Since most of the world is still clings to the inherited beliefs of their families, it's a difficult position to go against the grain. Ritual and spirituality have always been integral aspects of human life so they are not easy nor advisable to divorce oneself from.....
    This was an excellent post. I'm glad you mentioned the above statement here. I was gonna say something similar. There is no "easy" path when it comes to one's belief system. I trust that nearly everyone put a lot of thought into how they believe the world works around them. People in this thread need to be careful not to disparage anyone for having a different belief system.

  10. #9
    Full Member Vigno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Posts
    190
    Threads
    16
    Reputation
    1401
    Rep Power
    43
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Re: What Atheists Follow


    Allah says about this :-

    002.171 The parable of those who reject Faith is as if one were to shout like a goat- herd, to things that listen to nothing but calls and cries: Deaf, dumb, and blind, they are void of wisdom.

  11. Report bad ads?
  12. #10
    Full Member LauraS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    England/Wales
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Other
    Posts
    416
    Threads
    14
    Reputation
    2436
    Rep Power
    45
    Likes (Given)
    42
    Likes (Received)
    83

    Re: What Atheists Follow


    It's to me that quite a few people have an interest in Bhuddism. :S Out of all the religions it seems to be one that has caused less controversy.

  13. #11
    IB Oldtimer Zafran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Earth -UK
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    2,459
    Threads
    17
    Reputation
    11696
    Rep Power
    61
    Likes (Given)
    762
    Likes (Received)
    351

    Re: What Atheists Follow


    Salaam

    Its not that hard being an athiests in the west as religion realy isnt that important in peoples life Today - to be an athiest in a society that is preety Godless and likes religion out of the public sphere - its an easy choice to reject religion all togather as it has no value in the ordinary humans life.

    Theres also different types of athiests - some that like promoting there beliefs like a religion eg - richard dawkins and others more "laid back" athiests who see it as a personal choice and are not too fussed about promoting it.

    The same can be said about the muslims in the Islamic world or hindus in india - or Bhuddists in Tibet - or christains in south america.

    peace
    Last edited by Zafran; 09-16-2010 at 11:52 PM.
    What Atheists Follow

    The teachings of Islam can fail under no circumstances. With all our systems of culture and civilization, we can not go beyond Islam and, as a matter of fact, no human mind can go beyond the Qur'an.

    (Letter of Goethe to Eckermann, Sir Henry Elliott's collection, 1865)

  14. #12
    Full Member Vigno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Posts
    190
    Threads
    16
    Reputation
    1401
    Rep Power
    43
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Re: What Atheists Follow


    Quote Originally Posted by Zafran View Post
    Salaam

    Its not that hard being an athiests in the west as religion realy isnt that important in peoples life Today - to be an athiest in a society that is preety Godless and likes religion out of the public sphere - its an easy choice to reject religion all togather as it has no value in the ordinary humans life.

    Theres also different types of athiests - some that like promoting there beliefs like a religion eg - richard dawkins and others more "laid back" athiests who see it as a personal choice and are not too fussed about promoting it.

    The same can be said about the muslims in the Islamic world or hindus in india - or Bhuddists in Tibet - or christains in south america.

    peace
    Wa Alekum asalam

    True!

  15. #13
    Full Member Vigno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Posts
    190
    Threads
    16
    Reputation
    1401
    Rep Power
    43
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Re: What Atheists Follow


    Quite sad when I got to know from someone from Russia that her "muslim" mother avoids her from praying or reading Quran because she doesn't want Islam to interfere with her life. What life?!
    What's the purpose of living then? Were we born to eat, sleep, get a career and money and family and live for the purpose of living?
    Are we going to take our money or fame with us to the grave? Does it matter then if they say every once in a year "oh this person was a great scientist"?

    I think when the parents are so, then that's the start of becoming atheists, when religion is abandoned and when people say "they can't make time for praying" which sounds exactly like "can't make time for Allah and for what I was born".

    Work for life overlapping work for afterlife is another reason, for the more the love of this world increases, the more the faith drops.

  16. #14
    El Habanero picante Woodrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Grant County, Minnesota
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    17,227
    Threads
    244
    Reputation
    162482
    Rep Power
    166
    Likes (Given)
    166
    Likes (Received)
    679

    Re: What Atheists Follow


    I doubt very much that enough Atheists ever convert to any religion, to make it possible to form any reliable statistics. A person who reverts to a religion is very often a very strong believer of God(swt) and has a deep love for him. They are seeking the best way to serve God(swt) who they already love.

    Many reverts to Islam come from very strong religious backgrounds and lived their religious belief the best they can. they come to Islam because they know it is the True way to serve Allaah(swt) It does seem a very large percentage of reverts to Islam were former Church leaders such as Priests, Rabbis and Ministers. Most atheists will never have a desire to serve God(swt) as they do not believe there is a God(swt)
    What Atheists Follow




  17. #15
    Full Member DavidK565's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Hinduism
    Posts
    102
    Threads
    2
    Reputation
    429
    Rep Power
    45
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Re: What Atheists Follow


    Quote Originally Posted by Vigno View Post
    Work for life overlapping work for afterlife is another reason, for the more the love of this world increases, the more the faith drops.
    I don't think these two things are mutually exclusive. There is no reason why one can't have a love for God and also a love for this world. In fact, love for this world is quite important. It keeps things in perspective. If we don't care for ourselves in this world and appreciate what we have, then we can't enjoy our lives. Our lives are short, and I doubt that our sole purpose for being here is to prepare for the afterlife. I'm certain we're supposed to live life to the fullest as well.

    It's also important that people spend their time working, making money, getting an education, etc. Because while it may not matter when you die, it makes life better for everyone around you while you're here. And then someone else can carry the torch.

  18. #16
    IB Senior Member titus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Atheism
    Posts
    895
    Threads
    3
    Reputation
    2650
    Rep Power
    49
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    5

    Re: What Atheists Follow


    I would imagine that the answer would be heavily influenced by location. The answer would be different in the US than it would be in Egypt or India.

  19. #17
    IB Oldskool Ramadhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Indonesia
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    6,472
    Threads
    64
    Reputation
    52878
    Rep Power
    81
    Likes (Given)
    1045
    Likes (Received)
    1261

    Re: What Atheists Follow


    Quote Originally Posted by DavidK565 View Post
    I don't think these two things are mutually exclusive. There is no reason why one can't have a love for God and also a love for this world. In fact, love for this world is quite important. It keeps things in perspective. If we don't care for ourselves in this world and appreciate what we have, then we can't enjoy our lives. Our lives are short, and I doubt that our sole purpose for being here is to prepare for the afterlife. I'm certain we're supposed to live life to the fullest as well.

    It's also important that people spend their time working, making money, getting an education, etc. Because while it may not matter when you die, it makes life better for everyone around you while you're here. And then someone else can carry the torch.
    "live life to the fullest" is a favorite motto among atheists as they don't believe in the hereafter.
    All I can say is that Islam provides guidance for balanced life, that conforms to our true "fitrah" (nature) which makes us truly peaceful/happy in both this world and hereafter.

  20. #18
    Full Member DavidK565's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Hinduism
    Posts
    102
    Threads
    2
    Reputation
    429
    Rep Power
    45
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Re: What Atheists Follow


    Don't read between the lines... Its a figure of speech. Regardless of your religiosity, there is no reason to not enjoy life as much as possible, rather than thinking about this world as an unimportant stopgap.

  21. #19
    IB Oldtimer Zafran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Earth -UK
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    2,459
    Threads
    17
    Reputation
    11696
    Rep Power
    61
    Likes (Given)
    762
    Likes (Received)
    351

    Re: What Atheists Follow


    Quote Originally Posted by DavidK565 View Post
    Don't read between the lines... Its a figure of speech. Regardless of your religiosity, there is no reason to not enjoy life as much as possible, rather than thinking about this world as an unimportant stopgap.
    Whatever "living life to the fullest" means - I have heard many people say it - It also makes perfect sense why we would live to prepare for an afterlife - life being short is one good reason as you stated - the second would be the only think that we can be certian about life is that it will end and it has a limit - how are we meant to live to the fullest when life itself has a limit already on it?

    By the way no muslim said that "this world is an unimportant stopgap" - its actaully very important for the next phase. The afterlife will be based on what we do here in this world which is full of limits.
    Last edited by Zafran; 09-17-2010 at 04:38 AM.
    What Atheists Follow

    The teachings of Islam can fail under no circumstances. With all our systems of culture and civilization, we can not go beyond Islam and, as a matter of fact, no human mind can go beyond the Qur'an.

    (Letter of Goethe to Eckermann, Sir Henry Elliott's collection, 1865)

  22. Report bad ads?
  23. #20
    IB Oldskool Ramadhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Indonesia
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    6,472
    Threads
    64
    Reputation
    52878
    Rep Power
    81
    Likes (Given)
    1045
    Likes (Received)
    1261

    Re: What Atheists Follow


    Quote Originally Posted by DavidK565 View Post
    Don't read between the lines... Its a figure of speech. Regardless of your religiosity, there is no reason to not enjoy life as much as possible, rather than thinking about this world as an unimportant stopgap.
    I doubt you ever heard a true muslim thinks/says that this world is an unimportant gap, while in actuality all muslims consider this world is extremely important because whatever we do in this world contribute to determine our fate in the hereafter.

    I know that it is hard for anyone to understand if they do not believe in the life after this world.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey there! What Atheists Follow Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. What Atheists Follow
Sign Up

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •