× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Talking about Depression/Suicide

اَللَّهُ أَكْبَرُ اللَّهُ أَكْبَرُ اللَّهُ أَكْبَرُ - لَا إلَهَ إلَّا اللَّهُ وَاَللَّهُ أَكْبَرُ اَللَّهُ أَكْبَرُ وَلِلَّهِ الْحَمْد - اَللَّهُ أَكْبَرُ اللَّهُ أَكْبَرُ اللَّهُ أَكْبَرُ - لَا إلَهَ إلَّا اللَّهُ وَاَللَّهُ أَكْبَرُ اَللَّهُ أَكْبَرُ وَلِلَّهِ الْحَمْد - اَللَّهُ أَكْبَرُ اللَّهُ أَكْبَرُ اللَّهُ أَكْبَرُ - لَا إلَهَ إلَّا اللَّهُ وَاَللَّهُ أَكْبَرُ اَللَّهُ أَكْبَرُ وَلِلَّهِ الْحَمْد - اللَّهُ أَكْبَرُ كَبِيرًا وَالْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ كَثِيرًا وَسُبْحَانَ اللَّهِ بُكْرَةً وَأَصِيلًا
Four things to do during the blessed 10 days of Dhul-Hijjah
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    ameerkam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    49
    Threads
    36
    Reputation
    7
    Rep Power
    4
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Talking about Depression/Suicide

    Report bad ads?

    Salaam
    It says that you can have sinful thoughts as long as you don’t speak of them or act on them. What about if a depressed person is confiding in a friend about their suicidal thoughts? Also, what about if a person wants to speak to the public about their own experiences with suicidal thoughts?
    Jazzakallahu Khair

  2. Report bad ads?
  3. #2
    umie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    363
    Threads
    4
    Reputation
    1364
    Rep Power
    6
    Likes (Given)
    79
    Likes (Received)
    258

    Re: Talking about Depression/Suicide

    Quote Originally Posted by ameerkam View Post
    Salaam
    It says that you can have sinful thoughts as long as you don’t speak of them or act on them. What about if a depressed person is confiding in a friend about their suicidal thoughts? Also, what about if a person wants to speak to the public about their own experiences with suicidal thoughts?
    Jazzakallahu Khair
    Having sinful thoughts is not haraam. you cannot control your thoughts. Speaking with someone about your sinfull thoughts is also (at least not always) haraam.
    There is a difference. if your sinfull thought is that you hate person A and you speak with person B about how bad person A is...then yeah that is haraam.
    If you talk to someone about your suicidal thought in order to make them aware of your situation or hoping that person can help you with it, then that is of course not haraam.

    speakin to the crowd or in public with this purpose or in order to provide them information about how it helped you and how it may help them is also not haraam.
    But if you are talking to in public about how good suicide can be or that it is not a bad thing...it is OK if you commit suicide, etc...that of course IS Haraam.

  4. #3
    Kiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Where I wander.
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    1,291
    Threads
    84
    Reputation
    4355
    Rep Power
    21
    Likes (Given)
    900
    Likes (Received)
    718

    Re: Talking about Depression/Suicide

    Speak with good and if you do not have anything good to say then stay silent. However, if you want to speak about it than there are professionals to speak your problems about it. I recommend for example an Imam.

    If you are having thoughts of suicidal and severe depression than there is a deficiency in your emaan and ibadah.

    And whoever turns away from My remembrance - indeed, he will have a depressed life, and We will gather him on the Day of Resurrection blind."

    20:124




    Those who have believed and whose hearts are assured by the remembrance of Allah . Unquestionably, by the remembrance of Allah hearts are assured."

    13:28

  5. #4
    umie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    363
    Threads
    4
    Reputation
    1364
    Rep Power
    6
    Likes (Given)
    79
    Likes (Received)
    258

    Re: Talking about Depression/Suicide

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiro View Post
    Speak with good and if you do not have anything good to say then stay silent. However, if you want to speak about it than there are professionals to speak your problems about it. I recommend for example an Imam.

    If you are having thoughts of suicidal and severe depression than there is a deficiency in your emaan and ibadah.

    And whoever turns away from My remembrance - indeed, he will have a depressed life, and We will gather him on the Day of Resurrection blind."

    20:124




    Those who have believed and whose hearts are assured by the remembrance of Allah . Unquestionably, by the remembrance of Allah hearts are assured."


    13:28
    Sorry, But I do not agree with this. With such an attitude, no Muslim will have friends.

    You have your family and friends to share your life with...they are there for you to help you when you have problems...even in the Muslim world. If your religion does not allow you to share your trouble with your family and friends...then there is surely something not right don't you think?

    A professional such as your imaam will only provide you information...but that is not always a solution...we humans do not always seek solutions...sometimes we need someone who just listens and understands. that is all.
    sometimes we just need a friend to talk to...not some professional who's listening to you just because it is his job.

  6. Report bad ads?
  7. #5
    *charisma*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    I am a traveler, May Jannah be my home ameen
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    4,364
    Threads
    185
    Reputation
    48690
    Rep Power
    110
    Likes (Given)
    1147
    Likes (Received)
    2536

    Re: Talking about Depression/Suicide

    Walaikum Assalaam,

    Quote Originally Posted by ameerkam View Post
    What about if a depressed person is confiding in a friend about their suicidal thoughts?
    There's different kinds of depression. If someone is depressed because of their circumstances (eg. grief due to death, failures, etc.) then they need to have more tawakkul (reliance) in Allah. The unfortunate events that happen in this world are not worth committing suicide over or being depressed. Maybe opening up to someone who is caring, understanding, and wise would be a good idea simply because you will be reminded of that. Changing your routine, diet, gaining a new skill, or even participating in halal activities can also be helpful. I don't suggest speaking publicly about having suicidal thoughts unless it's a real struggle you overcame and wanted to share the solution. In general though, anyone who is struggling with suicidal thought should speak to someone whether it is a professional, friend, or family member.
    Talking about Depression/Suicide

    D e a t h

    is the easiest
    of all things after it
    ; ;

    the hardest
    of all things before it

  8. #6
    YahyaAE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Ajman UAE
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    73
    Threads
    28
    Reputation
    408
    Rep Power
    11
    Likes (Given)
    50
    Likes (Received)
    45

    Re: Talking about Depression/Suicide

    There are trained practicing muslim psychiatrists, therapists and psychologists out there who say you need to talk about this. The Muslim community in general needs to stop stigmatizing those who are suffering from this form of mental illness, calling them 'not good Muslims'.

    Yes there is a general depression that can arise from a lack of imam, that can impact us all, but there are also physiological conditions that affect our brains that are beyond our means to control. Check this video about the subject of depression and suicide, inshalla it might inspire you or someone you love. Most Muslims Get This Wrong. What Islam REALLY Says about Depression

    Anyway regardless, people who are suicidal should most defiantly 1000% without a doubt reach out to a friend, an imam (who is clued up on this kind of thing) or most importantly a mental health professional, if they need help. It could literally be the difference between life and death.
    1 | Likes umie liked this post
    Talking about Depression/Suicide

    BE INSPIRED | YOUTUBE.COM/C/YAYAMAN

  9. #7
    Kiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Where I wander.
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    1,291
    Threads
    84
    Reputation
    4355
    Rep Power
    21
    Likes (Given)
    900
    Likes (Received)
    718

    Re: Talking about Depression/Suicide

    Quote Originally Posted by umie View Post
    Sorry, But I do not agree with this. With such an attitude, no Muslim will have friends.

    You have your family and friends to share your life with...they are there for you to help you when you have problems...even in the Muslim world. If your religion does not allow you to share your trouble with your family and friends...then there is surely something not right don't you think?

    A professional such as your imaam will only provide you information...but that is not always a solution...we humans do not always seek solutions...sometimes we need someone who just listens and understands. that is all.
    sometimes we just need a friend to talk to...not some professional who's listening to you just because it is his job.
    What is there to disagree with?

    Of course you can talk with your friends and family. And if they have remembrance of Allah within them then that will also affect you.

    Talk to your loved ones about your problems and talk to Allah about them.

  10. Hide
Hey there! Talking about Depression/Suicide Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Talking about Depression/Suicide
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-26-2017, 01:47 PM
  2. Can suicide inspire other people to commit suicide too?
    By ardianto in forum Health & Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-06-2017, 11:49 PM
  3. Thinking of commit suicide // Depression
    By Jinko in forum Advice & Support
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-24-2011, 12:46 AM
  4. Cat Talking
    By Ibn Abi Ahmed in forum General
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-20-2008, 02:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
create