× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
Results 41 to 56 of 56
  1. #1
    Array Stoic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    80
    Threads
    51
    Reputation
    125
    Rep Power
    11

    Sallams. Is it halal to or ok to celebrate sons birthday? (OP)


    He's going to b 1. My family never celebrated birthdays but wife family does. There would b a cake but no candles cuz I know the candle thing is not of our religion. But just gifts food and present. Also gonna have a banner saying my sons name 1st birthday. Perfectly fine?
    Last edited by Stoic; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:32 PM.

  2. #41
    ZeeshanParvez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    556
    Threads
    60
    Reputation
    1991
    Rep Power
    24
    Likes (Given)
    136
    Likes (Received)
    282

    Re: Sallams. Is it halal to or ok to celebrate sons birthday?

    Report bad ads?

    Quote Originally Posted by *charisma* View Post
    Incorrect. Has nothing to do with my culture. There are many american muslims who don't celebrate their birthdays, and I don't really practice my beliefs based on someone else's "feelings."

    Americanized,
    westernized
    colonized
    white washed...
    whatever.
    All the same.

    As I said, we do not see eye to eye. Stay confused


    al-Hasan said:

    I met a group of people who were more stingy in regards to their life (i.e. as to how they invested it) than one of you is about his money.


    al-Hasan said:

    On the day of Judgement the son of Adam will be shown all the moments of his life. Every moment he did not spend doing good will be a cause of remorse for him.


    How far we have strayed from the way of the Salaf. May Allaah guide this Ummah.

  3. Report bad ads?
  4. #42
    Insaanah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    4,527
    Threads
    175
    Reputation
    153123
    Rep Power
    138
    Likes (Given)
    1166
    Likes (Received)
    3368

    Re: Sallams. Is it halal to or ok to celebrate sons birthday?


    I came across this quote from al Hasan al Basri:
    "Son of Adam! You are nothing but a number of days, whenever each day passes then part of you has gone.”
    https://www.islam21c.com/spiritualit...ss-with-allah/
    | Likes Simply_Logical, azc liked this post
    Sallams. Is it halal to or ok to celebrate sons birthday?


    Stunningly beautiful adhaan from the Dome of the Rock in Masjid ul Aqsa
    Download (right click and choose "save target/link as").


    This is a clear message for mankind in order that they may be warned thereby, and that they may know that He is only One God, and that those of understanding may take heed (14:52)


    Indeed Allah knows, and you know not (16: 74, part)

  5. #43
    AbdurRahman.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    701
    Threads
    2
    Reputation
    1736
    Rep Power
    42
    Likes (Given)
    526
    Likes (Received)
    542

    Re: Sallams. Is it halal to or ok to celebrate sons birthday?

    Quote Originally Posted by Insaanah View Post

    I came across this quote from al Hasan al Basri:
    "Son of Adam! You are nothing but a number of days, whenever each day passes then part of you has gone.”
    https://www.islam21c.com/spiritualit...ss-with-allah/
    I agree there is a valid difference of opinion on birthdays so both opinions are ok, those who celebrate it without sin and extravagance are fine and so are those who want to refrain

    However the time wasting or money wasting (as long as there is no extravagant spending) argument doesnt fit here as all people need a bit of enjoyment in their lives too and especially children need to be happy and not disappointed

    Too much seriousness all the time makes a person ill so there is the odd times when we need to chill with a halal party and fun

    Birthdays also serve as an excuse for a family get together and that's surely a good thing!
    Last edited by AbdurRahman.; 1 Week Ago at 11:56 PM.
    | Likes Zafran liked this post

  6. #44
    Simply_Logical's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    England!
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    392
    Threads
    33
    Reputation
    1287
    Rep Power
    67
    Likes (Given)
    118
    Likes (Received)
    121

    Re: Sallams. Is it halal to or ok to celebrate sons birthday?

    Quote Originally Posted by Insaanah View Post

    I came across this quote from al Hasan al Basri:
    "Son of Adam! You are nothing but a number of days, whenever each day passes then part of you has gone.”
    https://www.islam21c.com/spiritualit...ss-with-allah/
    SubhanAllah that's so true
    | Likes azc liked this post

  7. Report bad ads?
  8. #45
    Insaanah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    4,527
    Threads
    175
    Reputation
    153123
    Rep Power
    138
    Likes (Given)
    1166
    Likes (Received)
    3368

    Re: Sallams. Is it halal to or ok to celebrate sons birthday?

    Quote Originally Posted by AbdurRahman. View Post
    I agree there is a valid difference of opinion on birthdays so both opinions are ok, those who celebrate it without sin and extravagance are fine and so are those who want to refrain

    However the time wasting or money wasting (as long as there is no extravagant spending) argument doesnt fit here as all people need a bit of enjoyment in their lives too and especially children need to be happy and not disappointed

    Too much seriousness all the time makes a person ill so there is the odd times when we need to chill with a halal party and fun

    Birthdays also serve as an excuse for a family get together and that's surely a good thing!


    Nobody is saying you shouldn’t enjoy yourself. But sometimes the argument that everyone needs to have fun once in a while, gets used to support various things, including celebrations not sanctioned in Islam.

    I grew up not celebrating birthdays, and alhamdulillah I’m not unhappy, deprived, disappointed or mentally traumatised by the experience. I feel privileged alhamdulillah that my parents weren’t those who just went along with society, but put thought into what they taught us and the way they brought us up.

    Chilling and having fun and giving gifts can be done any time when it’s appropriate, and keeping ties of kinship should be done whenever one can, as part of Allah wahdahu’s command.
    Last edited by Insaanah; 1 Week Ago at 01:58 PM.
    Sallams. Is it halal to or ok to celebrate sons birthday?


    Stunningly beautiful adhaan from the Dome of the Rock in Masjid ul Aqsa
    Download (right click and choose "save target/link as").


    This is a clear message for mankind in order that they may be warned thereby, and that they may know that He is only One God, and that those of understanding may take heed (14:52)


    Indeed Allah knows, and you know not (16: 74, part)

  9. #46
    AbdurRahman.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    701
    Threads
    2
    Reputation
    1736
    Rep Power
    42
    Likes (Given)
    526
    Likes (Received)
    542

    Re: Sallams. Is it halal to or ok to celebrate sons birthday?

    Quote Originally Posted by Insaanah View Post


    Nobody is saying you shouldn’t enjoy yourself. But sometimes the argument that everyone needs to have fun once in a while, gets used to support various things, including celebrations not sanctioned in Islam.

    I grew up not celebrating birthdays, and alhamdulillah I’m not unhappy, deprived, disappointed or mentally traumatised by the experience. I feel privileged alhamdulillah that my parents weren’t those who just went along with society, but put thought into what they taught us and the way they brought us up.

    Chilling and having fun and giving gifts can be done any time when it’s appropriate, and keeping ties of kinship should be done whenever one can, as part of Allah wahdahu’s command.
    walaikum assalam rahmatullahi barakatuh

    Yes ofcourse we can have fun and enjoyment and keep good kinship in other ways

    However I wouldn't say the people are 'going with the flow' but they are going with their Scholars' who say birthday celebration is ok if it does not involve sin like freemixng, music etc; see these fatwas for example:

    http://binbayyah.net/english/holiday...ous-overtones/

    http://daruliftabirmingham.co.uk/birthdays/

  10. #47
    Insaanah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    4,527
    Threads
    175
    Reputation
    153123
    Rep Power
    138
    Likes (Given)
    1166
    Likes (Received)
    3368

    Re: Sallams. Is it halal to or ok to celebrate sons birthday?

    Jazaakallah for the links. Interesting that none of them mentions the origins of birthdays. I do wander if the scholars know the origins, and if they don't, whether their viewpoint would change once they did realise.
    Sallams. Is it halal to or ok to celebrate sons birthday?


    Stunningly beautiful adhaan from the Dome of the Rock in Masjid ul Aqsa
    Download (right click and choose "save target/link as").


    This is a clear message for mankind in order that they may be warned thereby, and that they may know that He is only One God, and that those of understanding may take heed (14:52)


    Indeed Allah knows, and you know not (16: 74, part)

  11. #48
    AbdurRahman.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    701
    Threads
    2
    Reputation
    1736
    Rep Power
    42
    Likes (Given)
    526
    Likes (Received)
    542

    Re: Sallams. Is it halal to or ok to celebrate sons birthday?

    Quote Originally Posted by Insaanah View Post
    Jazaakallah for the links. Interesting that none of them mentions the origins of birthdays. I do wander if the scholars know the origins, and if they don't, whether their viewpoint would change once they did realise.
    We have the most sophisticated and fool proof method of preserving history in the form of science of hadith but yet many hadiths are weak and some even downright fabricated

    So how are we to trust the kuffar history going back thousands of years brother when we know how awful their authenticity criteria can be? That's 1 point of how the origins of birthday can be anyone's guess

    We have a principle of 'istihala' don't we in Islam? Where something which changes it's origin changes it's ruling on it too, such as when wine is turned into vinegar, it becomes halal. Couldn't the same be done to 'historical origins'? So for example, many Muslims enjoy bonfire night but to them it's just a bit of fun and nothing to do with celebrating a man (guy fawkes) being burnt at the stakes many hundreds of years ago (not saying it's halal but pointing out what it means to some who participate)

    So let's say for example birthday does have some pagan or Christian religious origin, but wouldn't that be irrelevant now due to the many layers of istihala it's been through and nothing to do with those origins to the masses for many centuries now?

    And doesn't Islam say 'it's the intention that counts' thus any birthday celebration will be judged on the intention with which it is celebrated and not a possible haram origin of it centuries ago?

    So these are some of the reasons brother why I think that this 'origins' argument really doesn't hold much water
    Last edited by AbdurRahman.; 1 Week Ago at 10:55 PM.
    | Likes Zafran liked this post

  12. #49
    ZeeshanParvez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    556
    Threads
    60
    Reputation
    1991
    Rep Power
    24
    Likes (Given)
    136
    Likes (Received)
    282

    Re: Sallams. Is it halal to or ok to celebrate sons birthday?

    Quote Originally Posted by Insaanah View Post
    Jazaakallah for the links. Interesting that none of them mentions the origins of birthdays. I do wander if the scholars know the origins, and if they don't, whether their viewpoint would change once they did realise.
    Please do not pay any attention to the links he has given you.

    He has attempted to quote the deviant Bin Bayyah to support birthdays. He is the same deviant who said Islamic laws were outdated and needed to be changed.

    Please beware of the misguidance AbdurRahmaan spreads.

    https://www.thenational.ae/uae/outda...-hears-1.12969

  13. Report bad ads?
  14. #50
    azc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    7,069
    Threads
    390
    Reputation
    23328
    Rep Power
    39
    Likes (Given)
    969
    Likes (Received)
    2436

    Re: Sallams. Is it halal to or ok to celebrate sons birthday?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZeeshanParvez View Post
    Please do not pay any attention to the links he has given you.

    He has attempted to quote the deviant Bin Bayyah to support birthdays. He is the same deviant who said Islamic laws were outdated and needed to be changed. ???

    Please beware of the misguidance AbdurRahmaan spreads.

    https://www.thenational.ae/uae/outda...-hears-1.12969
    @Abdurrahman :
    Will you plz clarify it...?
    Sallams. Is it halal to or ok to celebrate sons birthday?

    Allah (swt) knows best

  15. #51
    Stoic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    80
    Threads
    51
    Reputation
    125
    Rep Power
    11
    Likes (Given)
    8
    Likes (Received)
    20

    Re: Sallams. Is it halal to or ok to celebrate sons birthday?

    ...now I'm super confused as to whether it's fine or not. Just want excuse for son to have fun with cousins and family get together take pictures no music or candleblowing involved
    | Likes Zafran liked this post

  16. #52
    ZeeshanParvez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    556
    Threads
    60
    Reputation
    1991
    Rep Power
    24
    Likes (Given)
    136
    Likes (Received)
    282

    Re: Sallams. Is it halal to or ok to celebrate sons birthday?

    Quote Originally Posted by azc View Post
    @Abdurrahman :
    Will you plz clarify it...?
    There is nothing to explain. Bin Bayyah is a deviant. He is a puppet of the West who wants to change all of the rules of Islaam. He caused an uproar in 2015 by claiming the laws of Islaam were outdated.

    Now, instead of looking for excuses (if that is what you are doing), it is time for you to act on your own advice


    Quote Originally Posted by azc View Post
    There is no concept of birthday in Islam but some sects and people have double standard regarding this matter. Scholars who declare even eid mildun nabi as bidah go on mute mode when their own government or people celebrate birthday of their country and royal family. This double standard is unislamic.

    I'm against blind following of scholars as it makes you fanatic worshipper of theirs.

    All scholars are fallible. If they are wrong, say they are wrong.
    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoic View Post
    ...now I'm super confused as to whether it's fine or not. Just want excuse for son to have fun with cousins and family get together take pictures no music or candleblowing involved
    If you are looking for an excuse to do something then you will lean towards the opinion which is in accordance with what you want. This is cognitive bias.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by AbdurRahman. View Post

    We have a principle of 'istihala' don't we in Islam? Where something which changes it's origin changes it's ruling on it too, such as when wine is turned into vinegar, it becomes halal. Couldn't the same be done to 'historical origins'? So for example, many Muslims enjoy bonfire night but to them it's just a bit of fun and nothing to do with celebrating a man (guy fawkes) being burnt at the stakes many hundreds of years ago (not saying it's halal but pointing out what it means to some who participate)

    You have completely slaughtered the fiqh principle of (الاستحالة) al-'istiHaalah. You clearly have no understanding of the DawaabiT (ضوابط) of this principle because if you did you would have never attempted to apply it like you just did.

  17. #53
    CuriousonTruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    287
    Threads
    16
    Reputation
    191
    Rep Power
    2
    Likes (Given)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    59

    Re: Sallams. Is it halal to or ok to celebrate sons birthday?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoic View Post
    ...now I'm super confused as to whether it's fine or not. Just want excuse for son to have fun with cousins and family get together take pictures no music or candleblowing involved
    Lol I feel bad for you man. But on the other hand, you need to take your decisions by your own self instead of relying on anonymous people on the internet.
    | Likes Zafran liked this post

  18. #54
    azc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    7,069
    Threads
    390
    Reputation
    23328
    Rep Power
    39
    Likes (Given)
    969
    Likes (Received)
    2436

    Re: Sallams. Is it halal to or ok to celebrate sons birthday?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZeeshanParvez View Post
    There is nothing to explain. Bin Bayyah is a deviant. He is a puppet of the West who wants to change all of the rules of Islaam. He caused an uproar in 2015 by claiming the laws of Islaam were outdated. Now, instead of looking for excuses (if that is what you are doing), it is time for you to act on your own advice- - - Updated - - -If you are looking for an excuse to do something then you will lean towards the opinion which is in accordance with what you want. This is cognitive bias.- - - Updated - - -You have completely slaughtered the fiqh principle of (الاستحالة) al-'istiHaalah. You clearly have no understanding of the DawaabiT (ضوابط) of this principle because if you did you would have never attempted to apply it like you just did.
    I want to know why he said, 'Islamic laws are outdated''.... I'm not interested in who Bin Bayyah is.
    Sallams. Is it halal to or ok to celebrate sons birthday?

    Allah (swt) knows best

  19. Report bad ads?
  20. #55
    Nitro Zeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Romania, Bucharest
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    1,042
    Threads
    219
    Reputation
    644
    Rep Power
    10
    Likes (Given)
    54
    Likes (Received)
    136

    Re: Sallams. Is it halal to or ok to celebrate sons birthday?

    Celebrating birthdays is haram because it is not something Allah has chosen. Quran says that every nation has its own festivsl and we have ours which is Eid Al Adha and Fitr. There is nothing says in Quran that you can celebrate your birthday, if you like to celebrate, you can do by fasting for example, or reading Quran, or do some Islamic lectures. Thats how you can celebrate your birthday, not by having party.

  21. #56
    Abz2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Around the bend from Venus - Just before Mars
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    5,140
    Threads
    144
    Reputation
    45121
    Rep Power
    78
    Likes (Given)
    3735
    Likes (Received)
    2822

    Re: Sallams. Is it halal to or ok to celebrate sons birthday?

    Birthdays can be positive milestones and good opportunities to reflect as well as a good means of bringing the family and friends (dhi al qurbaa) together on a happy note, and as long as it's not turned into a perceived obligation and thereby bida'ah, it is almost as beneficial as the birth feast and ceremony (akikah).

    It is wise to get the kids to lead an audible prayer (dua) in which family and guests participate before cutting the cake.
    It is a bit lame to do the haram police line on such a potentially clean celebration.
    Maybe the adapt and progress with humilty before Allah mode works better than the ban and alienate everything suspicious mode in this instance when weighing pros and cons.

    Please don't make your kid dislike God for something so small - especially given the possible benefits - they'll likely end up generalizing and packing it with all the other no nos - and then you risk throwing the baby out with the bathwater if they crack under the regime and rebel.
    | Likes Zafran liked this post
    Sallams. Is it halal to or ok to celebrate sons birthday?














  22. Hide
Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
Hey there! Sallams. Is it halal to or ok to celebrate sons birthday? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Sallams. Is it halal to or ok to celebrate sons birthday?
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Sallams. My soon to be wife has a past...
    By Stoic in forum Advice & Support
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 07-22-2017, 10:32 AM
  2. Sallams
    By MuHiTH in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-17-2007, 10:07 PM
  3. How many 'Sons' does God have?
    By Umm Safiya in forum Comparative religion
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 05-18-2006, 03:08 PM
  4. Sons of God.....
    By abdul Majid in forum Comparative religion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-19-2006, 08:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
create