× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    HabibUrrehman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    CA
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    194
    Threads
    8
    Reputation
    227
    Rep Power
    2
    Likes (Given)
    66
    Likes (Received)
    77

    Raising pants above the ankles

    Report bad ads?

    It is our responsibility to warn people of each sin as it spreads, to educate them about its wickedness, and to help them realize that these things bring on the curse of Allah (swt) and his Blessed Prophet (saw). This way those of us who are destined to receive guidance and who are in search of it can benefit by learning and implementing the correct practices.

    One sin which has become common practice today is that of allowing the pants to hang below the ankles (isbaal). In light of the ahadith, we learn that this is a grave sin.
    However, when we observe the common practice, we see ambivalence towards fulfilling this practice to the extent that even those considered religious and devout in deen are also heedless in this regard. The main reason behind this ambivalence is unawareness of the ahadith on isbaal al-izaar (hanging the pants below the ankles). This is why I decided to collect some ahadith and present them before everyone. May Allah (swt) save us from all sins, big and small. Ameen.

    HADITH ON RAISING THE IZAAR ABOVE THE ANKLES

    Abu Hurairah (ra) narrates the Blessed Prophet (saw) said: "That which is below the ankle of the izaar (anything which is worn to cover the lower half of the body) is in the hellfire." (Bukhari 5787, Abu Dawood 4093)

    Abu Zarr (ra) narrates the Blessed Prophet (saw) said: "There are three people whom Allah (swt) will not speak to, look at, or cleanse on the day of judgement and for them is a harsh punishment." The Blessed Prophet (saw) said this thrice. Then Abu Zarr (ra) asked, "They are certainly unsuccessful and destroyed. Who are they, O Blessed Prophet?" He(saw) replied, "The one who hangs his izaar below his ankles, the one who reminds another of his favors upon him, and one who makes false oaths to sell his items." ( Muslim 153, Tirmizi 1132, An-Nasai 2516, Abu Dawood 3565, Ibn Maja 2199, Ahmad 20355)


    Ibn Abbas (ra) narrates the Blessed Prophet (saw) said: "Allah (swt) will not look upon a person who hung his izaar below his ankles." (An-Nisai 5337, Ahmad 2803)
    Abu Hurairah (ra) narrates the Blessed Prophet (saw) said: "Whatever hangs beneath the ankles of the izaar is in the hellfire." (An-Nisai 5235, Ahmad 7155)



    Alaa bin Abdul Rahman (ra) narrates from his father who asked Abu Saeed Khudri (ra) about the izaar. He replied,"You have fallen upon one who knows." The Blessed Prophet (saw) said: "The izaar of a Muslim is halfway to the leg and there is no harm in that which comes between the knee and the ankle. Whatever hangs below the ankle is in the hellfire. Whoever drags his izaar in arrogance, Allah (swt) does not look at him." (ABu Dawood 3570, Malik 1426, Ahmad 11489, Ibn Majja 3573)

    Abdullah Ibn Omar (ra) narrates the Blessed Prophet (saw) said: "Once, a man amongst the haughty dragged his izaar; he sank into the ground with his izaar and is sinking in it until the Day of Judgement." (Bukhari 3226, Tirmizi 2315, An-Nisai 5231, Ahmad 5088)
    Abu Hurairah (ra) narrates the Blessed Prophet (saw) said: "Once, a young man who walking haughtily in a suit with his izaar hanging below his ankles was swallowed in by the earth. He is sinking in the earth until the Day of Judgement." ( Bukhari 5343, Muslim 3894, Ahmad 9986)

    GENERAL HADITH FORBIDDING ISBAAL

    The aforementioned ahadith indicate the severity of the sin of hanging the izaar below the ankles. Which Muslim would not be shaken by these ahadith? Although some of the ahadith above indicate that the warning is for the arrogant and haughty, there are numerous ahadith that speak in general terms. Thus, even those who do not hang there izaar below the ankle with that intention are required to keep their izaar above their ankle. Some of theses ahadith were mentioned above and many others will be presented ahead.
    We also need to realize that no person considers himself arrogant. Arrogance is an internal sickness in which the afflicted actually thinks he is humble. The Blessed Prophet (saw), the doctor of spiritual sicknesses, informs us that one of the external signs of arrogance is keeping the izaar below the ankles. This is why in some ahadith, the Blessed Prophet (saw) unequivocally stated that isbaal (keeping izaar below the ankle) is of arrogance. This is understood from the following hadith:


    Jaabir bin Sulaim (ra) narrates that I said to the Blessed Prophet (saw): Oh Blessed Prophet, advise me. He (saw) replied: "Do not swear at anyone." He (Jaabiir (ra)) says after this, I never swore at a free person, a slave, a camel, or even a goat. He (saw) said: "Do not underestimate anything of goodness, and that if you speak to your brother with a glad countenance, this is also of goodness. Lift you izaar halfway through the leg. And if you don't desire (halfway), then up to the ankles. Save yourself from extending the izaar below the ankles, it is of arrogance. Allah (swt) does not like arrogance. If a man swears at you, taunts you for something he knows about you, do not taunt him for something you know about him. The consequences of his sin will come upon him." (Abu Dawood 3562, Ahmad 15389)



    In the aforementioned hadith, the Blessed Prophet (saw) clearly stated that hanging the izaar below the ankle is of arrogance. Whenever the Blessed Prophet (saw) saw someone with their izaar hanging below their ankles, he would rebuke them and order them to lift it above their ankles.
    Shareed (ra) narrates that the Blessed Prophet (saw) saw a man whose izaar was dragging against the ground. He (saw) ran to him and said: "Lift your izaar and fear Allah (swt)." The man said, "My feet are bent inward, and my knees shake." The Blessed Prophet (saw) said, "Lift your izaar, all the creations of Allah (swt) are made perfectly." After this, the man was never seen except that his izaar was halfway to his leg or between his knees and ankles. (Ahmad 18653)

    Qais bin Bishr al Taghlibi narrates from his father who would sit in the company of Abu Darda (ra): One of the companions of the Blessed Prophet (saw), named Abu Hanzalia (ra), was in Damascus. He was a lone man who rarely sat in the company of people. He would only be in salah and when he completed his salah he would be in tasbih and takbir until he went to his family.
    Once, he passed by us while we were sitting in the company of Abu Darda (ra). Abu Darda (ra) said to him, "Tell us something that will be of benefit to us and which will not trouble you." He replied, "The Blessed Prophet (saw) said, ‘What an excellent man is Khurraim Asadi (ra), (but) only if his hair was not so long and his izaar did not hang below his ankles.'"
    "When Khurraim heard this, he quickly got a pair scissors, cut his hair to his ears, and raised his izaar to a place between his knees and ankles." (Abu Dawood 3566)

    Mughira bin Shuba' (ra) narrates the Blessed Prophet (saw) said: "Oh Sufyan Bin Sahl, do not hang your izaar, Allah (swt) does not like people who hang their izaar below their ankles." ( Ibn Majja 3563, Ahmad 17449)
    Huzaifa (ra) narrates the Blessed Prophet (saw) grabbed my shank and said: "This is the place of the izaar. If you refuse, then below this, and if you refuse this, then below that. If you refuse even this, there is no place for the izaar under the ankles." ( Tirmizi 1705, Ibn Majja 3562, An-Nisai 5234)
    Ibn Omar (ra) narrates that: Once, I passed by the Blessed Prophet (saw) while my izaar was hanging below my ankles and he (saw) said: "Oh Abdullah! Lift your izaar." I lifted it some. He said, "More!" After that, I continued to strive in this. Some people asked, "To what extent are we to lift our izaar." He replied, "To halfway between the knees and ankles." ( Muslim 3892, Bukhari 3226)

    Once, the Blessed Prophet (saw) sent out the message of keeping the izaar above the ankles in a very peculiar manner. In a narration collected in Musnad Ahmed, Abdullah bin Omar (ra) says that "Once, I came by the Blessed Prophet (saw) when my izaar was hanging below my ankles. He (saw) looked at me and said, ‘Who are you?' [though, the Blessed Prophet (saw) knew Abdullah bin Omar (ra) very well, he feigned as if he did not know him because his izaar was hanging below his ankles.]
    Abdullah bin Omar (ra) responded, "I am Abdullah." The Blessed Prophet (saw) replied, "If you truly are a servant of Allah (swt), then keep your izaar above your ankles."

    Now, every Muslim who keeps his izaar below his ankles should see if he falls under the prophetic standard ‘if you are the servant of Allah (swt), then keep your izaar above your ankles' and judge for himself whether he is a servant of Allah (swt) or not.

    After this declaration, what excuse do we have for not lifting izaar above our ankles?


  2. Report bad ads?
  3. #2
    Ahmed.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    585
    Threads
    6
    Reputation
    729
    Rep Power
    70
    Likes (Given)
    643
    Likes (Received)
    342

    Re: Raising pants above the ankles

    In Hanafi madhab, it is better to keep trousers above the ankle, however if trouser is left below the ankle without pride or arrogance, it is makruh tanzihah, I.e. it is slightly disliked and doesn't constitute a sin



    https://www.seekersguidance.org/answ...w-ones-ankles/


    Last edited by Ahmed.; 1 Week Ago at 12:17 PM.

  4. #3
    HabibUrrehman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    CA
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    194
    Threads
    8
    Reputation
    227
    Rep Power
    2
    Likes (Given)
    66
    Likes (Received)
    77

    Re: Raising pants above the ankles

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmed. View Post
    In Hanafi madhab, it is better to keep trousers above the ankle, however if trouser is left below the ankle without pride or arrogance, it is makruh tanzihah, I.e. it is slightly disliked and doesn't constitute a sin



    https://www.seekersguidance.org/answ...w-ones-ankles/


    Is there anyone more humble than prophet Muhammad PBUH? If he himself kept his izar above ankle then its a lame excuse to say that we keep trousers below ankle because we know we dont have pride. This is how we play with Sunnah and cherry pick what fits our society and material needs. I know it is hard to do and we may look funny but who cares? Our fashion is what Prophet Muhammad PBUH has told us to do.

    If we have a thing which is categorized as Makruh by some scholars and harram by other scholars, it is always advised to avoid doing such a thing. That is a general fiq principal.
    Last edited by HabibUrrehman; 1 Week Ago at 01:56 PM.

  5. #4
    Ahmed.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    585
    Threads
    6
    Reputation
    729
    Rep Power
    70
    Likes (Given)
    643
    Likes (Received)
    342

    Re: Raising pants above the ankles

    Quote Originally Posted by HabibUrrehman View Post
    Is there anyone more humble than prophet Muhammad PBUH? If he himself kept his izar above ankle then its a lame excuse to say that we keep trousers below ankle because we know we dont have pride. This is how we play with Sunnah and cherry pick what fits our society and material needs. I know it is hard to do and we may look funny but who cares? Our fashion is what Prophet Muhammad PBUH has told us to do.

    If we have a thing which is categorized as Makruh by some scholars and harram by other scholars, it is always advised to avoid doing such a thing. That is a general fiq principal.
    I understand what you are saying brother, however the Prophet (saw) would always practice the best example so he wouldn't do a makru tanziha. Also during Prophets (saw) time the rich people used to drag their below garments behind them (I.e. Their trousers used to come beneath their ankles and more) with pride and arrogance as not everyone could afford such ample clothes, so Prophet (saw) had to set the proper example.

    There are many great Hanafi classical scholars who say wearing garment beneath ankle is only sin if one does so with arrogance and pride. See link above

  6. Report bad ads?
  7. #5
    HabibUrrehman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    CA
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    194
    Threads
    8
    Reputation
    227
    Rep Power
    2
    Likes (Given)
    66
    Likes (Received)
    77

    Re: Raising pants above the ankles

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmed. View Post
    I understand what you are saying brother, however the Prophet (saw) would always practice the best example so he wouldn't do a makru tanziha. Also during Prophets (saw) time the rich people used to drag their below garments behind them (I.e. Their trousers used to come beneath their ankles and more) with pride and arrogance as not everyone could afford such ample clothes, so Prophet (saw) had to set the proper example.

    There are many great Hanafi classical scholars who say wearing garment beneath ankle is only sin if one does so with arrogance and pride. See link above
    First of all to say I don't have pride in itself proves one does have pride. If one does not have pride then whats wrong in follow sahih hadith? Let's say its makruh then why we will do a makruh thing as a practicing Muslim? Does not that show that we do have some problem. We are scared that what society will think, what my co-worker will think? We want to be like non-Muslim knowing that Prophet Muhammad PBUH has told us to be different from them in our actions and dressing as well.

    Second, many people say that we don't have people who drag their cloths on floor out of arrogance today, well that's not true. Look around you will see there are many who still practice this.

    I have seen the link you posted above and heard many scholars who unfortunately say its okay to lower the izaar but these are the scholars I don't even want to listen because they provide fatwas with no backing from Quran and ahadeeths. Their evidences are week. There are many hadeeths on this topic. Some of the ahadeeths don't even mention pride and give a clear general commandment to raise one's izaar as mentioned in my OP. For example:

    Our Prophet (S.A.W) said: “Whatever of the izaar (lower garment) is below the ankles is in the Fire.” (al-Bukhaari, no. 5787)
    This hadith gives very clear commandment and it is sahih hadith.

    The Hanfi scholars often bring the hadith of Abu Bakr as an evidence in support of lowering izar if one has no pride.

    When Abu Bakr As-Siddiq, may Allaah be pleased with him, said: “O Messenger of Allaah! “My Izar falls unless I take care (to hold it up).” The Prophet (SAW) said to him: “You are not one of those who do so out of conceit.”
    This Hadeeth does not prove that Isbal is allowed for someone who does not do it out of conceit. It only proves that when one’s Izar, pants, etc., fall without doing it out of conceit, then he tries to stop that and fix it, in that case there is no sin on him. As for what some people do, wearing their pants below the ankles, this is not allowed. The Sunnah is that the shirt or anything else not to be lowered than the middle of the shin, in accordance with all of the Hadeeths. And with Allaah is the facilitation to do what is right.

    Now Let we see daleel
    1. The Prophet (SAW) said: “There are three whom Allah will not look at or praise on the Day of Judgement and theirs will be a painful punishment: the one who wears his garment below his ankles, the one who reminds others of his favors, and the one who sells his product by means of making false oaths” (reported by Muslim, no. 106)
    2 The Prophet (SAW) said: “Isbaal (wearing one’s garment below the ankles) may apply to the izaar (lower garment), the shirt or the turban. Whoever allows any part of these to trail on the ground out of arrogance, Allah will not look at him on the Day of Judgement.” (reported by Abu Dawud, no. 4085, and al-Nisaa’i, no. 5334, with a saheeh isnaad).
    3.Ibn ‘Abbaas reported that the Prophet (SAW) said: “Allah will not look at the one who wears his lower garment below his ankles.” (Reported by al-Nisaa’i in al-Mujtabaa, Kitaab al-Zeenah, Baab Isbaal al-Izaar).
    4. Hudhayfah said: “The Messenger of Allah (SAW) took hold of the muscle of my calf (or his calf) and said, ‘This is where the izaar should stop; if you insist, it may be lower, but it should not reach the ankles.’” (Reported by al-Tirmidhi, who said this is a sahih hasan hadeeth; see Sunan al-Tirmidhi, no. 1783)

    All of the ahaadeeth quoted above speak against isbaal, whether or not the intention is to show off; but if a person does this deliberately out of arrogance, there is no doubt that his sin is greater. The Prophet (SAW) said: “Allah will not look at the one who trails his izaar on the ground out of pride.” (al-Bukhaari, no. 5788)

    Now lets look at some ahadiths which do talk about showing off:

    1. Jaabir ibn Sulaym said: “The Messenger of Allah (SAW) said to me: ‘Beware of wearing one’s lower garment below the ankles, because this is a kind of showing-off, and Allah does not love showing-off.’” (Regarded as sahih by al-Tirmidhi, no. 2722).

    2. What indicates that isbaal is prohibited even if it is not done out of pride is the hadeeth of Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri, may Allah be pleased with him, who said: “The Messenger of Allah (SAW) said: ‘The lower garment of the Muslim should come down to mid-calf, but there is nothing wrong if it is between that point and the ankles. Whatever is lower than the ankles is in the Fire. Whoever trails his garment on the ground out of pride, Allah will not look at him.” (Reported by Abu Dawud, no. 4093, with a saheeh isnaad.)

    These ahaadeeth describe two different deeds, for which there will be two different punishments: Burning in hell fire, Allah will not even talk to them. For arrogance people who lower their izaar, Allah will not even talk to them and this is greater punishment. For people who lower their Izar but may not have pride will burn in fire for rejecting commandment of Allah and His messenger (SAW).

    3. Imaam Ahmad reported that Abd al-Rahmaan ibn Ya’qoob said: “I asked Abu Sa’eed: ‘Did you hear anything from the Messenger of Allah (SAW) concerning the izaar (lower garment)?’ he said, ‘Yes, listen! ‘The izaar of the believer should come to mid-calf, although there is nothing wrong if it comes between there and the ankles, but whatever is lower than the ankles is in the Fire,’ and he said it three times.”

    4. Ibn ‘Umar said: “I passed by the Messenger of Allah (SAW), and my izaar had slipped down. He said, ‘O ‘Abdullaah, pull up your izaar!’ so I pulled it up. He said, ‘More!’ so I pulled it up more, and always made sure it was pulled up properly after that.” Some people asked, “To where did you pull it up?” He said, “To mid-calf length.” (Reported by Muslim, no. 2086; al-Dhahabi, Kitaab al-Kabaa’ir, 131-132)

    These ahaadeeths are very clear and that's the reason all madahib agree that it is best to be on safe side and raise your izaar above ankle. I can't tolerate punishment of hell fire and for that I would rather follow what these ahadiths say very clearly. Ask your local Hanafi Imam if he would warrantee that you will not be punished in fire if you lower your Izaar? His answer may not be a surprise for you. If you want to take a risk and follow Imam Abu Hanifa and Hanfi scholars but not Prophet Muhammad PBUH then its up to you. Allah knows best!

  8. #6
    Ahmed.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    585
    Threads
    6
    Reputation
    729
    Rep Power
    70
    Likes (Given)
    643
    Likes (Received)
    342

    Re: Raising pants above the ankles

    Quote Originally Posted by HabibUrrehman View Post
    First of all to say I don't have pride in itself proves one does have pride. If one does not have pride then whats wrong in follow sahih hadith? Let's say its makruh then why we will do a makruh thing as a practicing Muslim? Does not that show that we do have some problem. We are scared that what society will think, what my co-worker will think? We want to be like non-Muslim knowing that Prophet Muhammad PBUH has told us to be different from them in our actions and dressing as well.

    Second, many people say that we don't have people who drag their cloths on floor out of arrogance today, well that's not true. Look around you will see there are many who still practice this.

    I have seen the link you posted above and heard many scholars who unfortunately say its okay to lower the izaar but these are the scholars I don't even want to listen because they provide fatwas with no backing from Quran and ahadeeths. Their evidences are week. There are many hadeeths on this topic. Some of the ahadeeths don't even mention pride and give a clear general commandment to raise one's izaar as mentioned in my OP. For example:



    This hadith gives very clear commandment and it is sahih hadith.

    The Hanfi scholars often bring the hadith of Abu Bakr as an evidence in support of lowering izar if one has no pride.



    This Hadeeth does not prove that Isbal is allowed for someone who does not do it out of conceit. It only proves that when one’s Izar, pants, etc., fall without doing it out of conceit, then he tries to stop that and fix it, in that case there is no sin on him. As for what some people do, wearing their pants below the ankles, this is not allowed. The Sunnah is that the shirt or anything else not to be lowered than the middle of the shin, in accordance with all of the Hadeeths. And with Allaah is the facilitation to do what is right.

    Now Let we see daleel
    1. The Prophet (SAW) said: “There are three whom Allah will not look at or praise on the Day of Judgement and theirs will be a painful punishment: the one who wears his garment below his ankles, the one who reminds others of his favors, and the one who sells his product by means of making false oaths” (reported by Muslim, no. 106)
    2 The Prophet (SAW) said: “Isbaal (wearing one’s garment below the ankles) may apply to the izaar (lower garment), the shirt or the turban. Whoever allows any part of these to trail on the ground out of arrogance, Allah will not look at him on the Day of Judgement.” (reported by Abu Dawud, no. 4085, and al-Nisaa’i, no. 5334, with a saheeh isnaad).
    3.Ibn ‘Abbaas reported that the Prophet (SAW) said: “Allah will not look at the one who wears his lower garment below his ankles.” (Reported by al-Nisaa’i in al-Mujtabaa, Kitaab al-Zeenah, Baab Isbaal al-Izaar).
    4. Hudhayfah said: “The Messenger of Allah (SAW) took hold of the muscle of my calf (or his calf) and said, ‘This is where the izaar should stop; if you insist, it may be lower, but it should not reach the ankles.’” (Reported by al-Tirmidhi, who said this is a sahih hasan hadeeth; see Sunan al-Tirmidhi, no. 1783)

    All of the ahaadeeth quoted above speak against isbaal, whether or not the intention is to show off; but if a person does this deliberately out of arrogance, there is no doubt that his sin is greater. The Prophet (SAW) said: “Allah will not look at the one who trails his izaar on the ground out of pride.” (al-Bukhaari, no. 5788)

    Now lets look at some ahadiths which do talk about showing off:

    1. Jaabir ibn Sulaym said: “The Messenger of Allah (SAW) said to me: ‘Beware of wearing one’s lower garment below the ankles, because this is a kind of showing-off, and Allah does not love showing-off.’” (Regarded as sahih by al-Tirmidhi, no. 2722).

    2. What indicates that isbaal is prohibited even if it is not done out of pride is the hadeeth of Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri, may Allah be pleased with him, who said: “The Messenger of Allah (SAW) said: ‘The lower garment of the Muslim should come down to mid-calf, but there is nothing wrong if it is between that point and the ankles. Whatever is lower than the ankles is in the Fire. Whoever trails his garment on the ground out of pride, Allah will not look at him.” (Reported by Abu Dawud, no. 4093, with a saheeh isnaad.)

    These ahaadeeth describe two different deeds, for which there will be two different punishments: Burning in hell fire, Allah will not even talk to them. For arrogance people who lower their izaar, Allah will not even talk to them and this is greater punishment. For people who lower their Izar but may not have pride will burn in fire for rejecting commandment of Allah and His messenger (SAW).

    3. Imaam Ahmad reported that Abd al-Rahmaan ibn Ya’qoob said: “I asked Abu Sa’eed: ‘Did you hear anything from the Messenger of Allah (SAW) concerning the izaar (lower garment)?’ he said, ‘Yes, listen! ‘The izaar of the believer should come to mid-calf, although there is nothing wrong if it comes between there and the ankles, but whatever is lower than the ankles is in the Fire,’ and he said it three times.”

    4. Ibn ‘Umar said: “I passed by the Messenger of Allah (SAW), and my izaar had slipped down. He said, ‘O ‘Abdullaah, pull up your izaar!’ so I pulled it up. He said, ‘More!’ so I pulled it up more, and always made sure it was pulled up properly after that.” Some people asked, “To where did you pull it up?” He said, “To mid-calf length.” (Reported by Muslim, no. 2086; al-Dhahabi, Kitaab al-Kabaa’ir, 131-132)

    These ahaadeeths are very clear and that's the reason all madahib agree that it is best to be on safe side and raise your izaar above ankle. I can't tolerate punishment of hell fire and for that I would rather follow what these ahadiths say very clearly. Ask your local Hanafi Imam if he would warrantee that you will not be punished in fire if you lower your Izaar? His answer may not be a surprise for you. If you want to take a risk and follow Imam Abu Hanifa and Hanfi scholars but not Prophet Muhammad PBUH then its up to you. Allah knows best!
    Yes ofcourse it is better to follow the Sunna but my point of posting the Hanafi view is that we shouldn't be condemning or judging the iman of those who wear trousers below ankle as there is a valid view that it's not sin if one doesn't lower with pride.

    Ofcourse we all have pride, but this sort of pride in question is of people showing off that they can afford ample clothes to cover their ankles and in this day and age this does not generally apply as even a homeless can afford a trousers that comes below ankle.

  9. #7
    HabibUrrehman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    CA
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    194
    Threads
    8
    Reputation
    227
    Rep Power
    2
    Likes (Given)
    66
    Likes (Received)
    77

    Re: Raising pants above the ankles

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmed. View Post
    Yes ofcourse it is better to follow the Sunna but my point of posting the Hanafi view is that we shouldn't be condemning or judging the iman of those who wear trousers below ankle as there is a valid view that it's not sin if one doesn't lower with pride.

    Ofcourse we all have pride, but this sort of pride in question is of people showing off that they can afford ample clothes to cover their ankles and in this day and age this does not generally apply as even a homeless can afford a trousers that comes below ankle.
    You ignored several authentic hadiths about general commandment not to do isbaal. There is no mention of pride in those hadiths, haidths are not saying that the only reason not to do isbaal is pride. General commandments are commandments which are applicable for all times and spaces. Just like growing beard is a general commandment, raising your pants above your ankles is also a general commandment which is applicable for all times and locations. Allah knows what is the real wisdom behind it but one of them is the identity. Muslim men are supposed to cover their head ( I understand that some consider it as mustahib and not compulsory), raise their pants above ankles and have a beard equal to fist length. But we Muslims have problem to keep our identity, we want to mix up and be like non-Muslims so that no one can tell the difference between a Muslim and non-Muslim. What a double standard. We push so hard for women to have hijab and Muslim men are so coward that they cant keep their own identity because they fear that they can be targeted. Muslim women who wear hijab can be identified anywhere as Muslims, but we can't tell who is Muslim or non Muslim among men. That's because we have left our own identity and preferred to be like non-Muslims.

    Its not strange to see who you think as qualified scholars have allowed men not to have beard or have a pencil beard, have allowed men to shake hands with women at work, allowed men to urinate while standing just like non-Muslims do in western countries and have allowed men to lower their pants. All of this is just so that we Muslims don't look strange and can fit in western society easily. This reminds me of another hadith:

    Islam began as a something strange and it will return to being strange, so blessed are the strangers. (Sahih Muslim, 145)
    Let's also reflect on the words of Anas (ra) when he said to his students (who were tabieen):

    "You perform acts that are smaller in your eyes than a strand of hair (meaning that you trivialize sin), yet we considered them a grave offense in the time of the Blessed Prophet (saw)."
    This was the situation in the time of tabieen, can we imagine what it is like in our times? It is only by the beneficence of Allah (swt) that the Qur'an and hadith are preserved to this day and if one desires to study them, one can still learn what Allah (swt) and his Blessed Prophet (saw) liked or disliked.

    Now to your other point that even a homeless can afford to wear a trouser, let me describe condition of Muslims at the time of Umer (ra).

    At the time of Hazrat Umer (ra) Islam spread exponentially. Majority of Arabs became Muslims and rich as well. Everyone could afford to wear long under garments ( notice everyone could afford to wear long cloths if they wanted to). But yet Umer (ra) used to stand outside the mosques to make sure people lower their izaar below ankles and will order to cut anything which will be below ankles. At the time of his death, he saw one companion whose izaar was below his ankle and he told him to raise his lower garment above ankles. Why would Umer (ra) say such a thing while he is on his death bed? Because he knew the consequences for doing Isbaal are more severe than one can think. Anyways your argument is again weak. If companion did not practice Isbaal even though everyone of them could afford to do so at the time of Umer (ra), we can't say that we are allowed to do it.

    Try this Sunnah for one day and you will see the difference in your faith. It gives you humility which I have never experienced and it gives you respect in the eyes of non-Muslims as well. Most importantly it gives me my identity.

    I am not saying that Muslims who lower the pants are sinful. It is not something for me to judge. I can share what I believe is true to the best of my knowledge just to warn my fellow Muslim brothers. At the end of the day it is your decision to follow what you think is right. May be you will be right but I am taking the safe course and Allah knows the best!
    Last edited by HabibUrrehman; 1 Week Ago at 04:20 PM.


  10. Hide
Hey there! Raising pants above the ankles Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Raising pants above the ankles
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-09-2013, 12:47 PM
  2. How far down should the pants be when praying?
    By Jalal~ in forum Worship in Islam
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-01-2011, 06:30 PM
  3. Length of man's pants????
    By bewildred in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-14-2009, 02:56 PM
  4. Some advice regarding the ankles
    By nebula in forum Advice & Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-30-2008, 02:02 AM
  5. *!* Wearing your garment below the ankles *!*
    By Khayal in forum Manners and Purification of the Soul
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-07-2007, 04:31 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
create