× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Which of these Muslim first names should I choose?

View Poll Results: Which of these Muslim first names should I choose?

Voters
15. Login to vote on this poll
  • Adam

    6 40.00%
  • Altair

    0 0%
  • Ibrahim

    3 20.00%
  • Khalid

    0 0%
  • Musa

    1 6.67%
  • Omar

    2 13.33%
  • Yazid

    0 0%
  • Yusuf

    3 20.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 47
  1. #1
    Koopa39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    20
    Threads
    13
    Reputation
    7
    Rep Power
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Arrow Which of these Muslim first names should I choose?

    Report bad ads?

    Assalam Alaykoum,

    I live in Western Europe.

    I’m a (Sunni) Muslim convert, thus I wish to choose a Muslim first name for myself.

    After a lot of research, I have narrowed down my list to the following eight first names.

    Adam
    Altair
    Ibrahim
    Khalid
    Musa
    Omar
    Yazid
    Yusuf

    My surname (family name) is: Lambton.
    My first name should fit well with my surname.

    Please vote and tell me which first name you prefer.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Report bad ads?
  3. #2
    ardianto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Indonesia
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    8,405
    Threads
    153
    Reputation
    50953
    Rep Power
    93
    Likes (Given)
    2793
    Likes (Received)
    4697

    Re: Which of these Muslim first names should I choose?

    Wa'alaikumsalam, brother.

    Adam Lambton sound good.

    1 | Likes sister herb liked this post

  4. #3
    Koopa39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    20
    Threads
    13
    Reputation
    7
    Rep Power
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Re: Which of these Muslim first names should I choose?

    Also I forgot to add: If you can, please sort them from best to worst.

  5. #4
    drac16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    220
    Threads
    2
    Reputation
    1270
    Rep Power
    29
    Likes (Given)
    98
    Likes (Received)
    232

    Re: Which of these Muslim first names should I choose?

    Congratulations on your reversion. I'm a revert, too. Ok, I will list them from best to worst (in my opinion).

    Adam
    Omar
    Ibrahim
    Musa
    Altair
    Yusuf
    Khalid
    Yazid

  6. Report bad ads?
  7. #5
    Huzaifah ibn Adam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Africa
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    2,257
    Threads
    45
    Reputation
    14064
    Rep Power
    73
    Likes (Given)
    1207
    Likes (Received)
    3149

    Re: Which of these Muslim first names should I choose?

    Wa `Alaykumus Salaam wa Rahmatullaahi wa Barakaatuh.

    May Allaah Ta`aalaa keep you firm on the Deen, Aameen.

    In answer to the question:

    There are two things here. One is, we are instructed to choose names with good meanings, and we also should choose to name after great Islaamic personalities of the past, so that we can attain some of their qualities, by the Permission of Allaah. On the other hand, some of those names are easier to pronounce than others, for those who are not Arabic speakers. The easiest name on that list to pronounce is Yazeed. The most difficult for a non-Arabic speaker to pronounce correctly is `Umar. So, that maybe something you might want to take into consideration. Nevertheless, it's far better to name after a Nabi (Prophet) or a Sahaabi (Companion of Rasoolullaah صلى الله عليه وسلم),

    Ibrahim, Musa, Yusuf, Adam, because those four are Ambiyaa (Prophets of Allaah Ta`aalaa). Then, Umar, Khalid, and Yazid, because those are the names of three Sahaabah (Companions of Rasoolullaah صلى الله عليه وسلم). So, my advice is to choose between those seven names.


    Ibrahim or Umar, if you ask me.
    Which of these Muslim first names should I choose?

    اللي مالوش حد له ربّنا

  8. #6
    Koopa39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    20
    Threads
    13
    Reputation
    7
    Rep Power
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Re: Which of these Muslim first names should I choose?

    Quote Originally Posted by Huzaifah ibn Adam View Post
    Wa `Alaykumus Salaam wa Rahmatullaahi wa Barakaatuh.

    May Allaah Ta`aalaa keep you firm on the Deen, Aameen.

    In answer to the question:

    There are two things here. One is, we are instructed to choose names with good meanings, and we also should choose to name after great Islaamic personalities of the past, so that we can attain some of their qualities, by the Permission of Allaah. On the other hand, some of those names are easier to pronounce than others, for those who are not Arabic speakers. The easiest name on that list to pronounce is Yazeed. The most difficult for a non-Arabic speaker to pronounce correctly is `Umar. So, that maybe something you might want to take into consideration. Nevertheless, it's far better to name after a Nabi (Prophet) or a Sahaabi (Companion of Rasoolullaah صلى الله عليه وسلم),

    Ibrahim, Musa, Yusuf, Adam, because those four are Ambiyaa (Prophets of Allaah Ta`aalaa). Then, Umar, Khalid, and Yazid, because those are the names of three Sahaabah (Companions of Rasoolullaah صلى الله عليه وسلم). So, my advice is to choose between those seven names.


    Ibrahim or Umar, if you ask me.
    The name `Umar (with the punctuation symbol at the beginning) seems too complicated. In Western Europe, names usually don’t start with weird punctuation symbol, and nobody would know how to pronounce it.

    So I would have to go either with Omar or with Umar (without any punctuation symbol).

    I thought that Omar was better than Umar because I thought that Omar is very easy and intuitive to pronounce while Umar is difficult and unintuitive to pronounce. Am I not correct about this?

  9. #7
    Huzaifah ibn Adam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Africa
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    2,257
    Threads
    45
    Reputation
    14064
    Rep Power
    73
    Likes (Given)
    1207
    Likes (Received)
    3149

    Re: Which of these Muslim first names should I choose?

    Quote Originally Posted by Koopa39 View Post
    The name `Umar (with the punctuation symbol at the beginning) seems too complicated. In Western Europe, names usually don’t start with weird punctuation symbol, and nobody would know how to pronounce it.

    So I would have to go either with Omar or with Umar (without any punctuation symbol).

    I thought that Omar was better than Umar because I thought that Omar is very easy and intuitive to pronounce while Umar is difficult and unintuitive to pronounce. Am I not correct about this?
    That's what I meant about the pronunciation thing. Westerners will find it very difficult to pronounce the name `Umar, but that's the actual name. "Omar" is how they say it because they aren't able to pronounce the name, but the thing is, when the name is said as "Omar", the meaning is lost because it's an Arabic word after all. In that case, I would suggest going with the name that you will find easiest to pronounce. Maybe "Yazid"?
    Which of these Muslim first names should I choose?

    اللي مالوش حد له ربّنا

  10. #8
    Koopa39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    20
    Threads
    13
    Reputation
    7
    Rep Power
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Re: Which of these Muslim first names should I choose?

    Quote Originally Posted by Huzaifah ibn Adam View Post
    That's what I meant about the pronunciation thing. Westerners will find it very difficult to pronounce the name `Umar, but that's the actual name. "Omar" is how they say it because they aren't able to pronounce the name, but the thing is, when the name is said as "Omar", the meaning is lost because it's an Arabic word after all. In that case, I would suggest going with the name that you will find easiest to pronounce. Maybe "Yazid"?
    I didn't knew that if we choose Omar we lose the meaning of the name.

    I'm also surprised that you don't think that Adam is the easiest name to pronounce. Adam is a common name in the West (because Adam is also an important figure in Judaism and in Christianity), so I think that all Westerners will be able to pronounce it correctly. Am I right or did I miss something?

  11. #9
    Huzaifah ibn Adam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Africa
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    2,257
    Threads
    45
    Reputation
    14064
    Rep Power
    73
    Likes (Given)
    1207
    Likes (Received)
    3149

    Re: Which of these Muslim first names should I choose?

    Quote Originally Posted by Koopa39 View Post
    I didn't knew that if we choose Omar we lose the meaning of the name.

    I'm also surprised that you don't think that Adam is the easiest name to pronounce. Adam is a common name in the West (because Adam is also an important figure in Judaism and in Christianity), so I think that all Westerners will be able to pronounce it correctly. Am I right or did I miss something?
    There's actually a difference in pronunciation between the name in Arabic, "Aadam", and the way it is pronounced in English, "Adam". The only non-Arabic speakers who actually say the name "Aadam" closest to the correct pronunciation are the African people here in SA. In the Arabic, the A is pulled: "Aa", and the A is pronounced like the A in "After", not like the A in "And".
    Which of these Muslim first names should I choose?

    اللي مالوش حد له ربّنا

  12. Report bad ads?
  13. #10
    Koopa39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    20
    Threads
    13
    Reputation
    7
    Rep Power
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Re: Which of these Muslim first names should I choose?

    Quote Originally Posted by Huzaifah ibn Adam View Post
    There's actually a difference in pronunciation between the name in Arabic, "Aadam", and the way it is pronounced in English, "Adam". The only non-Arabic speakers who actually say the name "Aadam" closest to the correct pronunciation are the African people here in SA. In the Arabic, the A is pulled: "Aa", and the A is pronounced like the A in "After", not like the A in "And".
    I've listened to these two pronunciation videos, there's a small difference, but it doesn't seem like a significant difference to me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0H3vYCz6GI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzvjVvjm57w

    Would you say that if I choose the name Adam (starting with only one "a") the meaning of the Muslim name Aadam (starting with two "a") will be lost and it would be a bad choice for a Muslim?

  14. #11
    Huzaifah ibn Adam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Africa
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    2,257
    Threads
    45
    Reputation
    14064
    Rep Power
    73
    Likes (Given)
    1207
    Likes (Received)
    3149

    Re: Which of these Muslim first names should I choose?

    Quote Originally Posted by Koopa39 View Post
    I've listened to these two pronunciation videos, there's a small difference, but it doesn't seem like a significant difference to me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0H3vYCz6GI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzvjVvjm57w

    Would you say that if I choose the name Adam (starting with only one "a") the meaning of the Muslim name Aadam (starting with two "a") will be lost and it would be a bad choice for a Muslim?
    The thing is that, if you choose the name Aadam, most people will pronounce it as "Adam" anyway, especially if you spell it with just one A.

    But, the decision is yours to make. Whichever name you like, choose that one. All of the names in the list are good names. Except I don't know "Altair". I've never heard that name.
    Which of these Muslim first names should I choose?

    اللي مالوش حد له ربّنا

  15. #12
    Koopa39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    20
    Threads
    13
    Reputation
    7
    Rep Power
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Re: Which of these Muslim first names should I choose?

    Thank you for all the useful info you gave me Huzaifah ibn Adam, it was very helpful.


    I think I'm going to eliminate the name Altair because it doesn't seem to be a Muslim name (just an Arabic name).


    As for the seven other names, I'm entirely undecided, it's going to be a very difficult choice, and I would require opinions from as many people as possible please.
    1 | Likes Huzaifah ibn Adam liked this post

  16. #13
    Kiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Where I wander.
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    1,292
    Threads
    85
    Reputation
    4355
    Rep Power
    21
    Likes (Given)
    900
    Likes (Received)
    718

    Re: Which of these Muslim first names should I choose?

    Ezio

  17. #14
    Bushwackk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    DAWAH DIGITAL HQ
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    7,330
    Threads
    126
    Reputation
    50064
    Rep Power
    77
    Likes (Given)
    8551
    Likes (Received)
    6159

    Re: Which of these Muslim first names should I choose?

    Quote Originally Posted by Koopa39 View Post
    Assalam Alaykoum,

    I live in Western Europe.

    I’m a (Sunni) Muslim convert, thus I wish to choose a Muslim first name for myself.

    After a lot of research, I have narrowed down my list to the following eight first names.

    Adam
    Altair
    Ibrahim
    Khalid
    Musa
    Omar
    Yazid
    Yusuf

    My surname (family name) is: Lambton.
    My first name should fit well with my surname.

    Please vote and tell me which first name you prefer.

    Thanks in advance.
    Assalaam alaikum

    I'd like you to know that there is no such thing as a Muslim name except - the prefix of Abdullah.

    The rest above are simply, Arabic names.

    And there is no requirement for you to change your birth name in Islam, unless your name means something negative.

    Scimi
    Which of these Muslim first names should I choose?


  18. Report bad ads?
  19. #15
    Dclawspker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Buddhist
    Posts
    2
    Threads
    0
    Reputation
    5
    Rep Power
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Re: Which of these Muslim first names should I choose?

    Adam lambton sounds nice

  20. #16
    Akeyi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    ծΣշ ΣշዠለbΣռΣ sէለለէ
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    143
    Threads
    4
    Reputation
    98
    Rep Power
    0
    Likes (Given)
    28
    Likes (Received)
    9

    Wink Re: Which of these Muslim first names should I choose?

    please

    ​choose wisely because names have very important effect on us if you want to be handsome choose yusuf bitte


    AND

    from what i understood from your information you are a male" It means something and. MAYBE you saw the western culture maybe you are in it maybe you only saw it. Or you maybe saw what women wear. A man said THE DAMAGE A NAKED WOMAN DOES TO MUHAMMED'S RELIGION CAN NOT BE DONE BY 1000 ARTILLERY.

    Zevimer said that he was a man i dont know who he is.

    And our prophet already told too many things about womens in the time we are living.

    Because of this man should be like prophet Yusuf.

    And because of this THIS IS A PERFECT NAME FOR YOU

    GREATEST EXAM PROBABLY WOMANS NOW BECAUSE WORLD IS VERY CROWDED AND THERE IS TOO MUCH WOMEN AND I DONT THINK THEY EVER BECAME SO MUCH OPEN. 100 YEARS AGO EVEN IN PEOPLE IN EUROPE USED TO WEAR NIQAB BUT NOW IT IS LIKE THESE SO MUCH CHANGED IN 100 YEARS BECAUSE I HAVE THEORY IT IS THAT OTTOMAN EMPIRE WAS HOOK OF MORAL OF WORLD BECAUSE HE WAS SWORD OF ISLAM

    ISLAM MADE OTTOMAN EMPIRE OTTOMAN EMPIRE





    Last edited by Akeyi; 01-02-2017 at 02:35 PM. Reason: made it more effectif

  21. #17
    whosebob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    206
    Threads
    38
    Reputation
    1126
    Rep Power
    20
    Likes (Given)
    145
    Likes (Received)
    139

    Re: Which of these Muslim first names should I choose?

    I like Omar, it's my dad's name.

  22. #18
    azc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    5,577
    Threads
    306
    Reputation
    19942
    Rep Power
    31
    Likes (Given)
    689
    Likes (Received)
    1998

    Re: Which of these Muslim first names should I choose?

    Quote Originally Posted by Koopa39 View Post
    Also I forgot to add: If you can, please sort them from best to worst.
    assalamu alaikum, brother. No name is 'worst'. The names, particularly, of the prophets and companions are beautiful, however, 'yazid' should be deleted from this list
    Last edited by azc; 01-02-2017 at 02:50 PM.

  23. #19
    Akeyi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    ծΣշ ΣշዠለbΣռΣ sէለለէ
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    143
    Threads
    4
    Reputation
    98
    Rep Power
    0
    Likes (Given)
    28
    Likes (Received)
    9

    Re: Which of these Muslim first names should I choose?

    Quote Originally Posted by azc View Post
    assalamu alaikum, brother. No name is 'worst'. The names, particularly, of the prophets and companions are beautiful, however, 'yazid' should be deleted from this list

    VERYVERYVERY

    NICE MY FRIEND

    WHEN YOU WROTE YEZİD I WANTED TO ADD SOMETHING

    BUT I WANT TO ADD IT BY USING LOGIC BUT I HAVE ONE ANOTHER SUBJECT I WANTED TO MENTION TO ACHIEVE BOTH OF THESE GOALS

    FIRST I NEED TO SAY I WILL ASK ONE OTHER THINGS BUT FIRST TELL ME ABOUT MY SUGGESTION ABOUT YUSUFBuT OF COURSE TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK AFTER YOU READ WHAT I WROTE ABOUT THIS SUBJECT

    AND MY QUESTION IS THIS

    DO YOU ACCEPT YEZID AS A KHALIF OF ISLAM

  24. Report bad ads?
  25. #20
    Abu Musab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    http://darulilm.wordpress.com
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    181
    Threads
    3
    Reputation
    1201
    Rep Power
    67
    Likes (Given)
    8
    Likes (Received)
    25

    Re: Which of these Muslim first names should I choose?

    Quote Originally Posted by azc View Post
    assalamu alaikum, brother. No name is 'worst'. The names, particularly, of the prophets and companions are beautiful, however, 'yazid' should be deleted from this list
    You must be a shia, or a barelwi. No one else would have a problem with the name.
    Last edited by Abu Musab; 01-02-2017 at 05:05 PM.

  26. Hide
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Hey there! Which of these Muslim first names should I choose? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Which of these Muslim first names should I choose?
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. How to Choose a Muslim Husband ( Video)
    By PurpleCup in forum Islamic Multimedia
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-03-2012, 10:22 PM
  2. Muslim names
    By Sunnie Ameena in forum General
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-13-2012, 02:43 PM
  3. Muslim names/Pagan Names
    By Candle in forum General
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-16-2010, 09:05 PM
  4. Muslim Baby names
    By Rafeeq in forum General
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-20-2009, 09:31 PM
  5. Replies: 43
    Last Post: 02-23-2006, 04:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
create