× Register Login What's New! Contact us
I'm considering converting, but don't speak Arabic!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 29 of 29
  1. #1
    Array hc18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Christianity
    Posts
    2
    Threads
    2
    Reputation
    14
    Rep Power
    0

    I'm considering converting, but don't speak Arabic! (OP)


    Hello,

    I am a 19 year old woman who has been raised by very devout Catholics. However, in the past year, I have been learning about the Muslim faith and have found more solace in reading about it than I ever did in my Catholic faith. However, I speak NO arabic and this is, in a way, putting me off I suppose because I know all prayers are recited in Arabic as well as the Quran being written in arabic (I have begun to read the english translation, however, I know that it doesn't necessarily give the same effect. My two questions for you are:

    1) What is some advice you could give me to further my knowledge before I convert? and
    2) Does me not knowing Arabic matter in the long run?

    Also as another note, I am planning on taking an Arabic course this summer at my college and I have Muslim friends who speak Arabic who have offered to help me practice.

    Thank you for your help,
    Harley

  2. #21
    cinnamonrolls1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    571
    Threads
    24
    Reputation
    807
    Rep Power
    5
    Likes (Given)
    613
    Likes (Received)
    344

    Re: I'm considering converting, but don't speak Arabic!

    Report bad ads?

    Quote Originally Posted by space View Post
    elaborate please about my "strange claim"
    Abt the claim that arabic will be spoken in the afterlife

    Sent from my [device_name] using IslamicBoard mobile app

  3. Report bad ads?
  4. #22
    space's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Chechnya
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    89
    Threads
    5
    Reputation
    30
    Rep Power
    1
    Likes (Given)
    12
    Likes (Received)
    25

    Re: I'm considering converting, but don't speak Arabic!

    Quote Originally Posted by cinnamonrolls1 View Post
    Abt the claim that arabic will be spoken in the afterlife

    Sent from my [device_name] using IslamicBoard mobile app

    according to the majority I know in real life, even on the internet whom you could meet, they usually tend to claim it

  5. #23
    azc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    3,739
    Threads
    182
    Reputation
    16725
    Rep Power
    25
    Likes (Given)
    512
    Likes (Received)
    1370

    Re: I'm considering converting, but don't speak Arabic!

    Learn the basic surahs with the help of transliteration

  6. #24
    umie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    140
    Threads
    2
    Reputation
    331
    Rep Power
    3
    Likes (Given)
    24
    Likes (Received)
    86

    Re: I'm considering converting, but don't speak Arabic!

    Quote Originally Posted by space View Post
    according to the majority I know in real life, even on the internet whom you could meet, they usually tend to claim it
    Yes I confirm this. I also heard a couple of times from several people that the spoken language in the afterlife would be Arabic.
    Do not know where this comes from...maybe we should check for hadiths about this.

    - - - Updated - - -

    update:

    I just did a quick check and there is one hadeeth which speaks about speaking Arabic in Paradise, but this is not a saheeh Hadeeth.
    So no, no solid evidence that the spoken language in the Afterlife is Arabic

  7. Report bad ads?
  8. #25
    space's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Chechnya
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    89
    Threads
    5
    Reputation
    30
    Rep Power
    1
    Likes (Given)
    12
    Likes (Received)
    25

    Re: I'm considering converting, but don't speak Arabic!

    Quote Originally Posted by umie View Post
    Yes I confirm this. I also heard a couple of times from several people that the spoken language in the afterlife would be Arabic.
    Do not know where this comes from...maybe we should check for hadiths about this.

    - - - Updated - - -

    update:

    I just did a quick check and there is one hadeeth which speaks about speaking Arabic in Paradise, but this is not a saheeh Hadeeth.
    So no, no solid evidence that the spoken language in the Afterlife is Arabic

    before Quran the other Holy Books were written in the other languages.. this does not mean if Quran was in Arabic the entire population on planet Earth will exclusively speak in Arabic in the other life.. this sounds soooo chauvinistic

  9. #26
    azc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    3,739
    Threads
    182
    Reputation
    16725
    Rep Power
    25
    Likes (Given)
    512
    Likes (Received)
    1370

    Re: I'm considering converting, but don't speak Arabic!

    Quote Originally Posted by space View Post
    before Quran the other Holy Books were written in the other languages.. this does not mean if Quran was in Arabic the entire population on planet Earth will exclusively speak in Arabic in the other life.. this sounds soooo chauvinistic
    https://islamqa.info/en/83262

    Is Arabic the language of the people of Paradise? - islamqa.info
    I would like to know what the language of the people of Paradise is. Is it Arabic....
    I'm considering converting, but don't speak Arabic!

    Allah (swt) knows best

  10. #27
    azc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    3,739
    Threads
    182
    Reputation
    16725
    Rep Power
    25
    Likes (Given)
    512
    Likes (Received)
    1370

    Re: I'm considering converting, but don't speak Arabic!

    Shaykhul-Islaam Ibn Taymeeyah-Rahimullaah-was asked:

    ‘In what language will the people be spoken to on the Day of Resurrection? Will Allaah Ta’ala speak to the people in Arabic? Is it true that the language of the people of Hell-fire will be Persian and the language of the people of Paradise will be Arabic?’

    He-Rahimullaah-answered:

    ‘All praise belongs to Allaah the Lord of all the worlds, it is not known in what language the people will be spoken to on that day, nor in which language they will hear the address of the Lord–Jala wa Ula’-because AllaahTa’aladid not inform us of anything about this, nor did His Messenger-sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam.
    It is not authentic that Persian is the language of the people of the Hell-fireorthat Arabic is the language of the people who will be in eternal blessing.
    We do not know of a dispute between the Companions–Radi Allaahu anhum–, rather all of them refrained from this, because speaking about these types of things is from futile speech . . . However, there occurred a dispute between the people who came later so some of them said that: the people will converse in Arabic. Others said: ‘No, the people of Hell-fire will reply in Persian and it is their language in Hell-fire.’
    Others said: ‘They will converse with Syriac(an Eastern Aramaic language) because it is the language of Adam and from it all other languages branched off.’
    Others said: ‘No, the people of Paradise will speak Arabic.’
    There is no basis any of these opinions by those who hold them, neither intellectual nor transmitted, rather it is a claim devoid of evidence and Allaah– Subhana wa Ta’ala –is most Knowledgeable and most Just.’

    Taken from ‘Majmoo’ Fatawa’ 4/300-301

  11. #28
    فصيح الياسين's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    pakistan
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    319
    Threads
    4
    Reputation
    432
    Rep Power
    20
    Likes (Given)
    257
    Likes (Received)
    103

    Re: I'm considering converting, but don't speak Arabic!

    Quote Originally Posted by umie View Post
    Yes I confirm this. I also heard a couple of times from several people that the spoken language in the afterlife would be Arabic.
    Do not know where this comes from...maybe we should check for hadiths about this.

    - - - Updated - - -

    update:

    I just did a quick check and there is one hadeeth which speaks about speaking Arabic in Paradise, but this is not a saheeh Hadeeth.
    So no, no solid evidence that the spoken language in the Afterlife is Arabic
    How u got tht hadeeth about arabic is zaief....

    Sent from my GT-I9301I using IslamicBoard mobile app
    I'm considering converting, but don't speak Arabic!

    قال النبي محمد صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم:*الـحياءُ شُعْبَةٌ مِنَ الاِيِمَانِ*
    و قال ايضا:*الحياء لاياتى الا بخير
    و قال ايضا:*اذا لم تستحي،فاصنع ما شئت*

  12. #29
    A786's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    58
    Threads
    5
    Reputation
    52
    Rep Power
    1
    Likes (Given)
    19
    Likes (Received)
    26

    Re: I'm considering converting, but don't speak Arabic!

    Quote Originally Posted by hc18 View Post
    Hello,

    I am a 19 year old woman who has been raised by very devout Catholics. However, in the past year, I have been learning about the Muslim faith and have found more solace in reading about it than I ever did in my Catholic faith. However, I speak NO arabic and this is, in a way, putting me off I suppose because I know all prayers are recited in Arabic as well as the Quran being written in arabic (I have begun to read the english translation, however, I know that it doesn't necessarily give the same effect. My two questions for you are:

    1) What is some advice you could give me to further my knowledge before I convert? and
    2) Does me not knowing Arabic matter in the long run?

    Also as another note, I am planning on taking an Arabic course this summer at my college and I have Muslim friends who speak Arabic who have offered to help me practice.

    Thank you for your help,
    Harley

    Mash-Allah sister that is amazing that you are looking into converting to the religion of truth and tranquility. May Allah better help guide you. In my opinion, best thing to do is listen to Islamic scholarly lectures on you tube about convert stories of Christians and see how they have turned their life around after embracing Islam. You will be able to relate to that a lot more. Also, knowing Arabic is a beautiful language that is no doubt a huge element of Islam, however, inshallah with your will to learn Allah will increase your knowledge and make it easier for you. Remember, the more struggle you make in the way of Allah (Jihad) the more Ajar (provisions by Allah) you will be granted InshAllah.

    May Allah open up your heart and give you immense knowledge. Also, it will really help to listen to recitation of the Quran and surahs for better pronunciation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Hey there! I'm considering converting, but don't speak Arabic! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. I'm considering converting, but don't speak Arabic!
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Learning arabic before converting?
    By Ibrahim_K in forum Discover Islam
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-10-2017, 10:05 AM
  2. I don’t speak arabic – can I still ponder the Qur’an
    By UKIslamicEvents in forum Islamic Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-24-2016, 03:41 AM
  3. Do you speak Arabic?
    By Uma Rayanah in forum Arabic
    Replies: 763
    Last Post: 02-13-2009, 01:05 PM
  4. How can I learn to speak Arabic?
    By Hamayun in forum Arabic
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-06-2008, 08:09 PM
  5. US Arabs Don’t Speak Arabic
    By Sabbir_1 in forum World Affairs
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-07-2006, 03:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
create