Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Taweez?

Report bad ads?

Bismillah Rahmaner Rahim

I have a small issue and I'm confused. I don't know if what I'm doing is ok or not.

Last week at my Aqeedah class my teacher said that wearing thabeez is bad. I'm not sure what word he used if it was haram or makrul I'm not entirely sure. He said that if the thabeez contained something good like quranic verses then its ok.
    But this week, another teacher came and said that the Sahaba hated thabeez cuz its considered a form of shirk and your putting your faith in something/ someone other than Allah swt. I asked what if the thabeez contained something good like Quranic verses and he said that regardless if its good or not the sahaba didn't like them.
    My hifz teacher said that the Prophet saws used to wear thabeez..

So Brothers & sisters I apologize if this is a rather dumb question but any clarifications would be appreciated.
    Who is right? And are there any hadith on this subject?

Jazakallah Khairan
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Dawud_uk's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

re: Taweez?

format_quote Originally Posted by UmmahFollower09 View Post

Bismillah Rahmaner Rahim

I have a small issue and I'm confused. I don't know if what I'm doing is ok or not.

Last week at my Aqeedah class my teacher said that wearing thabeez is bad. I'm not sure what word he used if it was haram or makrul I'm not entirely sure. He said that if the thabeez contained something good like quranic verses then its ok.
    But this week, another teacher came and said that the Sahaba hated thabeez cuz its considered a form of shirk and your putting your faith in something/ someone other than Allah swt. I asked what if the thabeez contained something good like Quranic verses and he said that regardless if its good or not the sahaba didn't like them.
    My hifz teacher said that the Prophet saws used to wear thabeez..

So Brothers & sisters I apologize if this is a rather dumb question but any clarifications would be appreciated.
    Who is right? And are there any hadith on this subject?

Jazakallah Khairan

the prophet muhammad (saws) refused to take the oath of alliagence from a man wearing an amulet, ths is why it is forbidden.

i have never read anywhere that the prophet muhammad (saws) wore such a thing and it is upon your Quran teacher to prove otherwise, you cannot just say things about rasoolullah (saws) without evidence.

the confusion comes as one sahaba used to write du'as and put them in little bags around the kids necks, but this was so they could take them out and recite them if they had weak memories, it wasnt just because it had some sort of magical power if worn around the neck.

that would be like going to the doctors, he tells you to take some medicine but you say, 'no, i'll just put this bit of string around it and put it around my neck, that will work just as well!'

silly isn't it?

by not understanding the context of what the sahaba was doing people have put their trust in bits of paper not Allah, anyone who does this believing this will help them has left islam and become a mushrik.

if they didnt believe this paper had the power to help them, then it is a bid'ah and they should remove it anyway as can lead to shirk.

too many people make a lot of money from these selling of shirk to the people, others just defend it out of partisan or tribalistic pride, because if the scholars of the past they follow did it or their culture follows this then they don't want to question it, but didnt the mushrikeen of mekkah used to use the defence of 'we found our fathers upon this' and so they would stick to their kufr and shirk because they found others before them upon this.

but in islam we don't blindly follow the past, either our tribes or scholars, instead we look first to the early generations and their interpretation of the Quran and Sunnah first, and if later scholars disagree with this like some have with taweez then we reject the later opinion and go with Rasoolullah (saws) and the early generations.

Taweez?

Abu Abdillah

Submitting to none but Allah
    chat Quote

Daffodil's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

This is not a dumb question its incredibly serious as if you died believing that a piece of string or something was going to protect you from evil then you would die as a kafir because Allah swt forgives everything but shirk. Shirk means to assocaite partners with Allah swt and by wearing a taweez your saying that it can protect you when only Allah swt has the power to protect.

The prophet saw used to read the three quls and blow/spir into his hands and rub his hands all over his body before he went to sleep.

If you read the translation of the three surahs you will see that they are specifically talking about black magic.

Also read ayahtul Qursi and the last few ayats of surah bakarah everyday.
    chat Quote

Malaikah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Swimming with thermus aquaticus in Yellowstone National Park
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The reason these two people told you two different things is because there are two different opinions on the matter.

Some scholars are of the opinion that you can wear verses of Quran but nothing else (I think they might allow duas as well but I'm not sure).

Other scholars are of the opinion that you shouldn't wear anything, not even the Quran and that its haram.

Which ever opinion you follow you must remember that your intention is that Allah is the one giving you protection, NOT the piece of paper.
    Last edited by Malaikah; 01-17-2009 at 01:34 PM.
    Taweez?

wwwislamicboardcom - Taweez?
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Say, Have you seen those that they call on besides Allah? If Allah decreed harm for me, would they be able to prevent the harm

Surah al-Zumar 39:38

Uqban bin Amir (ra) reported that Rasoolullah (saws) said "whoever wears a charm may Allah not protect him, and whomever wears a shell, may Allah not protect him."
    Ahmad and others

"whoever wears a charm, he has committed shirk."
    Ahmad and al-Hakim.
    Taweez?

Abu Abdillah

chat Quote

UmmahFollower09's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Jazakallah Khairan Brothers & Sisters

Guess I have to take this thing off now...
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Jazakallah Khairan Brothers & Sisters

Guess I have to take this thing off now...
    May Allah swt reward you.
    chat Quote

Olive's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah View Post
    Which ever opinion you follow you must remember that your intention is that Allah is the one giving you protection, NOT the piece of paper.
    I think there's nothing wrong with wearing a Taweez if that's your intention.

Take a look at this:

Treating oneself with Taweez which contains verses of the Qur’an is similar to treating oneself with medication. By using medication, one merely puts his faith in Allah (swt) and uses the medication as a source of heals. The effect in the means is with Allah’s will, so too is the usage of the Taweez.
    Once, one of the companions of the Prophet (saws) recited Suratul Fatiha and gathered his saliva and spitted it at the snake-bite of a chief of a clan. The patient got cured and his people presented a sheep to the companions of the Prophet (saws), when they asked the Prophet (saws) about it, he smiled and said, ‘How do you know that the Suratul Fatiha is a Ruqiya (cure)? Take it and assign a share for me.’ (Bukhari, 71/7, Hadith 632)

One thing must be kept in mind that no one must ascribe (in his method and application) partners with Allah (swt) while making, writing or giving Taweez. Any act of Kufr or Shirk is unacceptable in the practice. Wearing only Taweez is not Shirk if it does not contain association with Allah and it is permissible too.

I must advise you to remain away from fake Babas who are not practicing Muslims and if necessary ask for Taweez from pious people or Ulama.

May Allah guide us and keep us away from any evil footstep. Ameen.

And Allah (swt) knows the Best
    Source: Click
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Hanz View Post
    I think there's nothing wrong with wearing a Taweez if that's your intention.

Take a look at this:

Source: Click
    There is nothing in there which says wear it around your neck as it wil give you protection.
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Daffodil View Post
    There is nothing in there which says wear it around your neck as it wil give you protection.
    i agree, like people say, that is like going to the doctors and getting medication then you wear it in a bag around your neck thinking that will help you!

yes the Quran is a cure, but it is meant to be recited and lived, not hung around your neck.
    Taweez?

Abu Abdillah

chat Quote

UmmahFollower09's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Jazakalkah Khairan Brothers & Sisters

I appreciate it.
    chat Quote

MO783's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Jazakalkah Khairan Brothers & Sisters

I appreciate it.

No problem,

better to stay away from anything that can lead to shirk.
    chat Quote

16. Hide
Hey there! Taweez? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Taweez?