Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Exclamation Steps to become an Imam?

Report bad ads?

Good day,

after doing a good search and seeing many pointless links, I thought I'd turn to here. I know there was threads like this in the past but if you try to search "become an Imam" or anything similar, they only search the word Imam.

I'm a recent revert, fluent in English and only English, and I am wondering what would I need to do to become a Imam. I am being 100% sincere, I want to become a Muslim Chaplin(job title) for the Canadian Forces, but you must be schooled to qualify because it is an Officer job and to be able to be hired as an officer you must have a university degree or similar. the Canadian Forces has less than 10 Imams, I believe it is closer to 5, and I would like to become one because it combines my love of Islam and my love to lead and teach.

I am more wondering if there are schools that have English programs taught in Immersion-style where you are taught in English and Arabic gradually learning more and more Arabic.

Thank you greatly in advance
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Woodrow's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    May Allah have mercy on him رحمة الله عليه
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Steps to become an Imam?

format_quote Originally Posted by Linehan.ca View Post
    Good day,

after doing a good search and seeing many pointless links, I thought I'd turn to here. I know there was threads like this in the past but if you try to search "become an Imam" or anything similar, they only search the word Imam.

I'm a recent revert, fluent in English and only English, and I am wondering what would I need to do to become a Imam. I am being 100% sincere, I want to become a Muslim Chaplin(job title) for the Canadian Forces, but you must be schooled to qualify because it is an Officer job and to be able to be hired as an officer you must have a university degree or similar. the Canadian Forces has less than 10 Imams, I believe it is closer to 5, and I would like to become one because it combines my love of Islam and my love to lead and teach.

I am more wondering if there are schools that have English programs taught in Immersion-style where you are taught in English and Arabic gradually learning more and more Arabic.

Thank you greatly in advance
    The university of Texas at Austin offers a 4 year degree course in Islamic studies that would qualify you to be an Imam.

http://www.utexas.edu/cola/depts/mes/islamic/
    Steps to become an Imam?

Herman 1 - Steps to become an Imam?

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Student of knowledge
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

But an imam usually gets paid under minimal wage. But your doing it for the good deeds right ?
    chat Quote

Linehan.ca's Avatar Limited Member
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Im doing it because I believe it would be that one career path that would make me truely happy in life
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

would any course similar fit the qualifications?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal View Post
    But an imam usually gets paid under minimal wage. But your doing it for the good deeds right ?
    If an Imam is an Imam for the salary, he has no business being an Imam.

However, Bro. Linehan.ca is seeking a career as a Chaplin in the Canadian militia for that he will receive a salary equal to that of any officer of equal rank.

Canadian Military Salary for Junior grade officers is:

Rank.............. Annual Salary.............. Monthly Salary

2nd Lieutenant 49,632........................4,136
    Lieutenant 54,084 .............................4,507
    Captain 68,568 ..................................5,714
    Major 92,724 .....................................7,727
    Steps to become an Imam?

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

would any course similar fit the qualifications?
    To qualify as a commissioned officer you do require a minimum of a Baccalaurate (4 year degree)

I do not know of any other universities in the USA or Canada that offers a degree in Islamic Studies at a level to qualify for both an Imam and a Commission.

There are shorter courses that would qualify you to be an Imam, but they would not meet the requirements for a commission. To be a Military Chaplin you have to be a commissioned officer.
    Steps to become an Imam?

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The money is not the factor, nice as it is. I just know I would love the job, because I believe in serving ones country and also serving Allah at the same time.

I'd also like to be able to show other Canadian Muslims that there is a place for them in the forces and that if they want to stand up and prove they love their country to all those bigots who say other wise, that there is no other way than to serve the country. And I know if I could do it, that opens the door wider for others to follow. Either you do or you don't, there is no try... you either get up can open the door or you don't. Right now the Canadian forces is well over 95% white Christian. I would like to get to the point of working out of a recruiting center in Toronto and trying to let Mosques come in can lead prayers on some Friday then talk to the congregation afterwards, not as just to get recruits but also as positive grass-roots public relations. Remember word of mouth is one of the best forms of communication, you only need one immigrant to call home and talk about how great Canada is to get someone else to move.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The money is not the factor, nice as it is. I just know I would love the job, because I believe in serving ones country and also serving Allah at the same time.

I'd also like to be able to show other Canadian Muslims that there is a place for them in the forces and that if they want to stand up and prove they love their country to all those bigots who say other wise, that there is no other way than to serve the country. And I know if I could do it, that opens the door wider for others to follow. Either you do or you don't, there is no try... you either get up can open the door or you don't. Right now the Canadian forces is well over 95% white Christian. I would like to get to the point of working out of a recruiting center in Toronto and trying to let Mosques come in can lead prayers on some Friday then talk to the congregation afterwards, not as just to get recruits but also as positive grass-roots public relations. Remember word of mouth is one of the best forms of communication, you only need one immigrant to call home and talk about how great Canada is to get someone else to move.
    You have a very good goal. there is a drastic shortage of Muslim Chaplins in all of the Western Militia and the number of Muslim recruits is growing.But, have sabr and remember, it is a double goal you are pursuing and one that will bring you to face with many conflicts in pursuing it.
    Steps to become an Imam?

chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

My blood is Irish Catholic descent, it longs for conflict and goals lol
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

My blood is Irish Catholic descent, it longs for conflict and goals lol
    Another Former Catholic here. But not Irish.

Predominatly Lithuanian Tatar (Lietuva Lipkas) Who is now living on a Lakota
    Sioux reservation most of the time.

I think it is the ex-Catholic part that drives us to get into conflicts.
    Steps to become an Imam?

chat Quote

15. Hide
Hey there! Steps to become an Imam? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Steps to become an Imam?