× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Results 1 to 14 of 14 visibility 1808

US appoints envoy to Muslim world

brightness_1
    LI News Service
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

The US State Department has appointed its first Special Representative to Muslim Communities.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said Farah Pandith would play a leading role in US efforts to "engage Muslims around the world".

She said Ms Pandith, who was born in Indian-administered Kashmir, would bring years of experience to the role.

The appointment is part of President Barack Obama's attempts to improve relations with the Muslim world.

Mrs Clinton said Ms Pandith "sees her personal experience as an illustration of how Muslim immigrants to the US can successfully integrate themselves into American society".

The State Department said Ms Pandith, who is a Muslim, would be responsible for helping US efforts to "engage with Muslims around the world on a people-to-people and organisational level".

The statement said Ms Pandith was previously the senior adviser on Muslim engagement in the European and Eurasian region at the State Department and had worked in the Afghan capital, Kabul, with the US Agency for International Development.

In a speech in Cairo earlier this month, Mr Obama said there had been "years of distrust" between the West and Islam but he was seeking "a new beginning" in the relationship.

Source:BBC News

"I spent thirty years learning manners, and I spent twenty years learning knowledge."

~ 'Abdullāh bin al-Mubārak (rahimahullah)
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    LI News Service
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: US appoints envoy to Muslim world

Reaction from American brothers/sisters? Do you expect this to bring about any significant positive change?

"I spent thirty years learning manners, and I spent twenty years learning knowledge."

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Uthmān View Post
    Reaction from American brothers/sisters? Do you expect this to bring about any significant positive change?
    Perhaps American brothers and sisters can tell us how bad it is living in the USA.

And why you're family migrated from [fill in the blank] and went to the USA in the first place.

-
    chat Quote

Zafran's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98 View Post
    Perhaps American brothers and sisters can tell us how bad it is living in the USA.

And why you're family migrated from [fill in the blank] and went to the USA in the first place.

-
    no idea what this actaully has to do with the thread - but nearly every non american indian has ancestors that ran away from there past country to go to america. The reasons are varied.

americas foreign policy has been terrible.
    Last edited by Zafran; 06-29-2009 at 03:46 AM.

Do you think the pious don't sin?

They merely:
    Veiled themselves and didn't flaunt it
    Sought forgiveness and didn't persist
    Took ownership of it and don't justify it
    And acted with excellence after they had erred - Ibn al-Qayyim
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    LI News Service
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Greetings Joe98
    format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98 View Post
    You are free to create a new thread on this subject, but that discussion is beyond the scope of this thread.

chat Quote

Banu_Hashim's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    A slave of Allaah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Ah- an Indian Muslim Woman as the envoy to the Muslim world ... Should be interesting. I wonder if her presence will actually make a difference. I'm technically an American Citizen (as well as British), so my views only half count
    Last edited by Banu_Hashim; 06-27-2009 at 02:19 PM.

‘Say: If the ocean were ink wherewith to write out the words of my Lord, sooner would the ocean be exhausted, even if We added another ocean like it.’~Al Qu'raan (18:109)

2533160 1 - US appoints envoy to Muslim world
    chat Quote

GuestFellow's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Possibly. I do see the American government putting the effort to improve its relationship with Muslims.

I don't see any harm in what America is doing. As long as they have good intentions, I'm fine with it.

I was looking at myself talking to myself and I realized this conversation...I was having with myself looking at myself was a conversation with myself that I needed to have with myself.
    chat Quote

Intisar's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    ''By night it conceals the light, by day as it appears in Glory..'' -092.002-003
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Nope.

*Acausal synchronicity*

Please make du'a for my mom and Dad.
    chat Quote

GuestFellow's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Ameena* View Post
    Nope.
    I'm curious, how come?

I was looking at myself talking to myself and I realized this conversation...I was having with myself looking at myself was a conversation with myself that I needed to have with myself.
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    The_Prince's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Mars, where they located the ice, it was my freezer where i keep the fish
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

nope, i see no change.
    chat Quote

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Tu kaun hai paiiii?
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I have no clue...we'll just have to see how it progresses.

*Without Allah, without Islam, life would be meaningless. If I've ever learned patience, it's because of this. Alhamdulillah...*
    chat Quote

nocturne's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

It's basically hopeless.

They are putting on band-aids which will only last as long as the next govt, decides to change its policy.
    chat Quote

AntiKarateKid's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Of course not. Nothing will change. America, like any other country, is out for itself across the globe.

The best take home message from the "Muslim world" to America is Mind Your Own Business.

It seems ridiculous to send Muslims an envoy when America's wars are killing so many. When America encourages Sharia Law in Muslim countries THEN we'll talk, instead of the mindless "democracy and capitalism RULES!%#" drivel we hear.
    Last edited by AntiKarateKid; 06-28-2009 at 10:33 PM.

Even Satan believes in Allah.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    LI News Service
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

New US envoy to deepen, broaden ties with Muslims
    (AFP) – Sep 15, 2009

WASHINGTON — Farah Pandith, sworn in Tuesday as US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's envoy to Muslim communities, said she would broaden ties with the world's Muslims to help solve "pressing" problems.

Clinton "has asked me to find ways to build strong partnerships and create new connections and join together with grass roots organizations to effect positive change," she said after swearing on the Koran to carry out her duties.

"Under the leadership of Secretary Clinton, the Department of State is recalibrating the way in which we work with Muslim communities around the world," Pandith said.

"Though this office, we will engage Muslim communities to solve collaboratively the most pressing problems facing these communities around the world," Pandith said.

Clinton said Pandith's office, which will both advise the secretary and the State Department, will focus on a broad array of issues.

"This is a dialogue that is not going to focus solely on terrorism or radicalization, but instead, focus on what all of us have in common, what we all hope for our children," Clinton said at the ceremony.

It will also deal with broader problems like poverty, hunger, climate change and corruption which are "not unique to any part of the world," Clinton said.

"In addition to these broad challenges, we have to focus on concerns of specific Muslim communities," she said.

"How are we going to get more investment into Iraq and put people who want to work back to work? How are we going to engage with young Muslims in Europe who feel marginalized or disassociated from their communities?" Clinton asked.

"How do we make sure that the message we send from our country is not just government to government, but people to people, community to community?" the chief US diplomat said.

Pandith immigrated to the United States as a child from Indian Kashmir's summer capital, Srinagar. Previously she worked in the European bureau as a special adviser for outreach to Muslim communities in Europe.

In his inauguration speech on January 20, President Barack Obama vowed to seek a "new way forward" with the Muslim world "based on mutual interest and respect," after eight rocky years under his predecessor George W. Bush.

Source

chat Quote

18. Hide
Hey there! US appoints envoy to Muslim world Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. US appoints envoy to Muslim world