Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Lowering Gaze

Report bad ads?

Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

Asalaam 3Alaikum brothers and sisters

I have a predicament. I began university last year september, and alhumdulillah thanks to the islamic society at my uni, i became closer to my deen. I hv been wearing hijab and skirt/dresses for the last year and mashaAllah i feel at peace and happy all the time

However, hijab also applies for the eyes, mind and conversation. But the problem i have is 1) my job involves me interacting with customers and since i work at an electrical retailer most often its men. im expected to smile and build a rapport so im smiling and laughing pretty much all the time. 2) one of the friends in my group at uni is a nah mehrem, and we talk on msn sometimes about work etc. we also hv telephone details. im never alone with him, but he insists that we sit together in lectures n seminars.

I know how to tackle the friend issue (just tell it to him straight), but the other problem regarding work is difficult. i control my self when i am out and about otherwise as much as possible. its harder as well becos my family as a whole are not as religious as we could be! please sisters espeically, give me your advice.

May Allah guide us all to the Straight Path and may we all have a place in Jannah. Ameen.
    Jzk
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    MMohammed's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Lowering Gaze

I am a brother can I give advice?
    1) my job involves me interacting with customers and since i work at an electrical retailer most often its men. im expected to smile and build a rapport so im smiling and laughing pretty much all the time.
    There's nothing wrong with interacting with Men if you are Women.But just keep it till the job.And dont attract them.Clearly decline if someone ask for something more than job.And take care of the Hijab.
    2) one of the friends in my group at uni is a nah mehrem, and we talk on msn sometimes about work etc. we also hv telephone details. im never alone with him, but he insists that we sit together in lectures n seminars.

If man, than try to be as much as far to him as you can.Because the relationship develops.You hopefully know what I am trying to say.So dont go more than for work.
    Lowering Gaze

2qwlqb9 1 - Lowering Gaze
    JazakAllahu Khayr
    chat Quote

Al Ansari's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Lowering Gaze

format_quote Originally Posted by blacklashes View Post
    But the problem i have is 1) my job involves me interacting with customers and since i work at an electrical retailer most often its men. im expected to smile and build a rapport so im smiling and laughing pretty much all the time. 2) one of the friends in my group at uni is a nah mehrem, and we talk on msn sometimes about work etc. we also hv telephone details. im never alone with him, but he insists that we sit together in lectures n seminars.
    assalaamu 'alaikum,
    I would advise you to be very careful sister. Since the majority of the customers who you encounter are non-mahrem males, this places you in a very serious fitnah. If you have to speak to these men, be straightfoward and direct. It appears that you are in a situation where if you are not smiling before them you may lose their rapport. To not take these issues lightly sister. This is a serious fitnah.

In regards to the non-mahrem 'friend' that you speak with through MSN...hmmm...yanni...and he also insists on sitting together?! If the person you speak about is a Muslim then I would have to say you have to advise him on the adaab of such things. If he is not, then I would still advise him that as a Muslim this sort of thing cannot happen--if you have the means to control it. Do you wear hijaab everywhere you go sister? Do they allow you to wear it at work?

WAllaahu alam

format_quote Originally Posted by blacklashes View Post
    I know how to tackle the friend issue (just tell it to him straight), but the other problem regarding work is difficult. i control my self when i am out and about otherwise as much as possible. its harder as well becos my family as a whole are not as religious as we could be! please sisters espeically, give me your advice.
    Being that your family is not as religious I understand that you may feel that you are lacking support and advise; however, you can make it your duty to advise them to become more religious, insh'Allaah. As regards work, as I have stated, it is good that you control yourself, but it is better to not place oneself near the fitnah if one is able. I would seek the advise of a shaykh sister.

May Allaah make it easy for you and increase your iman. Aameen.
    chat Quote

5. Hide
Hey there! Lowering Gaze Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Lowering Gaze