× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 28 visibility 3774

Livin in a non muslim country!

Imaan's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

What the hardest thing 4 you as a muslim living in a non muslim country? Please tell me which country u come from also. Also nowadays living in most muslim countries is also a problem, so those from Islamic countries are welcome to give their opinion.
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    ieshia's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Livin in a non muslim country!

I haven't faced any problems at all. Living in the United States gives me more freedom than almost any other Muslim country(if not all). I can practice my religion freely and do as i please. I am given more opportunities and respect from everyone.
    chat Quote

S_87's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Maryams Mommy
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

well in the UK i think Alhumdulillah there are muslim communities and there is a lot of freedom to practice..of course there is also bad which one can easily get caught up with but Alhumdulillah a lot of good too.

Our Lord! Verily, we have heard the call of one calling to Faith: 'Believe in your Lord,' and we have believed.
    Our Lord! Forgive us our sins and expiate from us our evil deeds, and make us die (in the state of righteousness) along with Al-Abrar
    chat Quote

Amanda's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Assalamu alaikum,

This may sound odd, but I feel more comfortable as a revert in Canada than I do living in Indonesia. Even though there are more Muslims here, and it's easier to find halal food, etc. whenever I go into a 'Muslim' shop or something I attract a lot of attention (admittedly, being white I tend to attract a lot of attention anywhere in the smaller villages). But in Canada, there is so much more diversity that I just blend in. I feel more 'normal' as a revert in Canada and less of a spectacle, if that makes sense.
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    ahmed_indian's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Ya Allah...martyrdom
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
    Assalamu alaikum,

This may sound odd, but I feel more comfortable as a revert in Canada than I do living in Indonesia. Even though there are more Muslims here, and it's easier to find halal food, etc. whenever I go into a 'Muslim' shop or something I attract a lot of attention (admittedly, being white I tend to attract a lot of attention anywhere in the smaller villages). But in Canada, there is so much more diversity that I just blend in. I feel more 'normal' as a revert in Canada and less of a spectacle, if that makes sense.
    try wearing niqab sister!
    chat Quote

Imaan's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Yeah I guess nowdays livin in a Muslim country is more complicated. Alhumdullilah, here in South Africa we don't really have problems, the men are free to dress how they like, also the woman can wear hijaab.

No problems with religion, only here the Muslims and Jews always clash!
    chat Quote

Duhaa786M's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I'm also in South Africa imaan, I have to say its a totally free country in every way.

Prayer is a free outgoing call to GOD, no network or battery problem, always good signal & all messages sent. Make prayer always and remember me in your prayer
    If things r happening according to ur wish, u are lucky! But if they r not, u r very lucky, Bcoz they are hapning according to God’s wish!
    chat Quote

Woodrow's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    May Allah have mercy on him رحمة الله عليه
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Currently I live in a very rural isolated part of the USA. The only problems I face are difficulty in finding halal food and the distances I need to travel to find any Masjids. Also the lack of Muslim neighbors. The nearest Muslims to me are about 200 miles away and that is only 4 or 5 of them.

But, on the plus side I get very little interference except that caused by the weaher. During the winter Months we are pretty well confined to staying in the house for up to several weeks at a time. I only been through one Dakota winter and hear this was a mild one.

There is no problem with any type of prejudice and the people are friendly, but curious about us. The people here all dress modestly and there are no things like nightclubs, bars etc any place close. No rampant use of alcohol, show of sexuality or immodest dressing. Although if outside the house during most of the year it is virtually impossible to pray properly. I found out you can not do wudu when the temperature is 40 degrees below zero and you can not prostrate in prayer in 5 feet of snow.

Herman 1 - Livin in a non muslim country!

chat Quote

_PakistaN_'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Canada, umm well I guess people here are really friendly compared to the states. Very helpful people I would say. In Toronto here, we have a muslim community, so pretty much most people don't really care too much about others religion and also since its multicultural. Aside from that, from my point of view as a teenager. I would say most of these schools and colleges are quite corrupt. Drinking, smoking, sexuality acts. Well, yeah, don't go with the flow and you're good
    Last edited by _PakistaN_; 09-07-2009 at 07:28 PM.
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    cat eyes's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

i am very happy living in Europe Alhamdulilah i can study full or part time if i wish! i can work! i can go 2 masjid. I have loads of time 2 worship Allah swt freely! And learn new things about islam. I can wear my hijab freely. Nobody forces me and no body oppresses me! Its easy for me 2 also speak freely about my religion with others. They give me alot of respect! I am very thankful to Allah swt

ae8iug 1 - Livin in a non muslim country!

wwwislamicboardcom - Livin in a non muslim country!
    chat Quote

Ramadhan's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by ahmed_indian View Post
    try wearing niqab sister!
    She would even attract more attention if she wears niqab in Indonesia. when they choose to wear dress according to sharia, most indonesian women wear hijab. extremely few wear niqab.
    chat Quote

جوري's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I have lived in Saudi Arabia, Africa, Europe, Asia & the U.S.. would really like to try the far east and Japan, maybe visit Australia but not to live just for a nice vacation to recover from my years of hard work and studies ..
    People are the same the world over, I don't really think there is much difference it is just about where you feel comfortable.. Home is where the heart is and I take it with me everywhere

Text without context is pretext
    If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - Livin in a non muslim country!

chat Quote

aamirsaab's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    On vacation.
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I don't actually find it difficult to lead an Islamic life in the UK. Sure there are pubs (which you simply just don't go into - it's not like they are hard to miss!) and haram foods (that you can also avoid just as easily and purchase halaal equivalents) and alcoholics (that fortunately don't live on my street!) but actually practicing islam isn't that difficult; we have prayer facilities (purchased and funded by muslims); halaal butchers and foodstores and a fairly large muslim community that actually acts as a community and not just a bunch of muslims huddled together in ''ghettos'' as some would have you believe.

Perhaps that's just a leicester thing but at least from my own experience, islamically speaking, life in UK is pretty dang good. So I don't understand why some muslims in the UK complain about it.
    Last edited by aamirsaab; 09-08-2009 at 02:37 PM.

Book on sharia law Updated!
    Mosque-a-mania!
    Someone said to the Prophet, "Pray to God against the idolaters and curse them." The Prophet replied, "I have been sent to show mercy and have not been sent to curse." (Muslim)
    ''Become the change''
    chat Quote

ژاله's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

to Muslims living in non-muslims countries, i can understand that you can practise islam if you want to, people cant keep you from that.but dont you people feel like losing your identity? do people look down upon you or stereotype you as terrorists etc, or at least make you feel left out or something? do you really feel "home"?
    just curious.
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    Mohamed_'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I'm a convert from Hungary. The hardest things are foods, girls, less mosque.
    Many Hungarian traditional food are cooked by forbidden foods, especially pork. We have a lot of pork here.
    And girls are hard for men. 'Cause the girls wear very short clothes, for example: mini skirt and top... Especially in the summer time...
    We don't have much mosque, we have 5 in the whole country. And the ezzen is also disabled in Hungary, if you play it on the street then the police take you.

When you feel alone in this world
    And there's nobody to count your tears
    Just remember, no matter where you are
    Allah knows, Allah knows.
    chat Quote

Woodrow's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    May Allah have mercy on him رحمة الله عليه
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Malaak View Post
    to Muslims living in non-muslims countries, i can understand that you can practise islam if you want to, people cant keep you from that.but dont you people feel like losing your identity? do people look down upon you or stereotype you as terrorists etc, or at least make you feel left out or something? do you really feel "home"?
    just curious.
    I believe a lot of that will depend on where you live. Here in the USA there are many areas that are predominately Muslim and most cities are Multi-cultural in which you will find communities of nearly any ethnic group imaginable. Just for example Los angels has the largest Iranian population outside of Iran. Dearborn Michigan is now predominately Muslim with one of the world's largest Arab populations, Austin Texas is very diverse and it is hard to say if any ethnic group can claim majority. Minneapolis Minnesota is home to a large Somali population.

It seems that nearly all Muslims who migrated to the USA have settled in only 6 States and now make up a sizable portion of those states. Muslims in the USA are generally more affluent than other Americans and are usually engaged in professional fields such as the sciences including medicine. Muslims here are often seen as being shapers and leaders of local communities.

As for us reverts I would say that most of us are accepted with no prejudice. We would probably have more problems living elsewhere.

Herman 1 - Livin in a non muslim country!

chat Quote

aamirsaab's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    On vacation.
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

just curious.
    I've never experienced any stereotyping as a terrorist (the ''paki'' comment was thrown around during secondary school, however) in the UK myself. Though, when I was in Makkah/medinah a few weeks back (for umrah), I must admit I never wanted to leave - there I truly felt home (even though I'm of pakistani origin!).

Book on sharia law Updated!
    Mosque-a-mania!
    Someone said to the Prophet, "Pray to God against the idolaters and curse them." The Prophet replied, "I have been sent to show mercy and have not been sent to curse." (Muslim)
    ''Become the change''
    chat Quote

Al Ansari's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

just curious.
    assalaamu 'alaikum wa rahmatullah,

Honestly, I lived in New Jersey and alhamdulilah there were and are a lot of Muslims there and the surrounding tristate area with New York and Philadephia. There were masajid everywhere and the community was close and always holding functions.

However, I recently moved to Hawa'ii and I swear by Allaah it is type hard. There are less Muslims that you come across, of course it is humid and moderate weather all year round so less clothes are on. I mean there is a masjid (one which I know of) on the island of oahu, but it is miles away from my house.

With all the fitnah and the lack of Islaamic gatherings, you are psychologically pressured to conform and of course if you wear a thobe or a jilbab in an area where there aren't many Muslims--of course you seem and feel outta place.

I do not feel like I am losing my identity, it is when you begin to compromise and give in to the kufr that I feel one begins to lose their identity. No one can take your identity unless you submit.

WAllaahu a'lam
    chat Quote

Ramadhan's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab View Post
    I've never experienced any stereotyping as a terrorist (the ''paki'' comment was thrown around during secondary school, however) in the UK myself. Though, when I was in Makkah/medinah a few weeks back (for umrah), I must admit I never wanted to leave - there I truly felt home (even though I'm of pakistani origin!).
    Brother, I also felt exactly the same way when I was there for umrah. I think this is the general feeling of any muslim who travel to makkah and madinah.
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    Amanda's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar View Post
    She would even attract more attention if she wears niqab in Indonesia. when they choose to wear dress according to sharia, most indonesian women wear hijab. extremely few wear niqab.
    Especially since I'm in Bali, which is predominantly Hindu, and the foreigners are mostly wearing bikinis and shorts!
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! Livin in a non muslim country! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Livin in a non muslim country!