× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Results 1 to 5 of 5 visibility 2494

The 10 commandments and Islam

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

God gave Moses 10 commandments

1. I am the Lord your God. You shall have no other gods before me
    2. You shall not make wrongful use of the name of your God
    3. Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy
    4. Honour your father and mother
    5. You shall not murder
    6. You shall not commit adultery
    7. You shall not steal
    8. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbour
    9. You shall not covet your neighbour's wife
    10. You shall not covet anything that belongs to your neighbour

1 – I presume they all appear in the Koran in separate places. Please list those 10 places.

2 – Does the Koran add any other commandments?

-
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    'Abd-al Latif's Avatar Super Moderator
    brightness_1
    CagePrisoners.com
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: The 10 commandments and Islam

Say: 'Come, I will recite what your Lord has prohibited you from: Join not anything in worship with him; be good and dutiful to your parents; kill not your children because of poverty – We provide sustenance for you and for them; come not near to al-fawaahish (shameful sins, illegal sexual intercourse, etc.), whether committed openly or secretly; and kill not anyone whom Allaah has forbidden, except for a just cause (according to Islamic law). This He has commanded you that you may understand.

And come not near to the orphan’s property, except to improve it, until he (or she) attains the age of full strength and give full measure and full weight with justice. We burden not any person but that which he can bear. And whenever you give your word (i.e., judge between men or give evidence etc.) say the truth even if a near relative is concerned, and fulfil the Covenant of Allaah. This He commands you that you may remember.

And, verily, this (i.e., Allaah’s commandments mentioned in the above two verses) is my Straight Path, so follow it, and follow not (other) paths for they will separate you away from His Path. This He has ordained for you that you may become al-muttaqoon (the pious).'
    [al-An’aam 6:151-153]

This passage below may be considered as commentary on the passage above.

And your Lord has decreed that you worship none but Him. And that you be dutiful to your parents. If one or them or both of them attain old age in your life, say not to them a word of disrespect, nor shout at them, but address them in terms of honour.

And lower unto them the wing of submission and humility through mercy, and say: 'My Lord! Bestow on them Your Mercy as they did bring me up when I was small.'

Your Lord knows best what is in your inner-selves. If you are righteous, then, verily, He is ever Most-Forgiving to those who turn unto Him again and again in obedience, and in repentance.

And give to the kindred his due and to the poor and to the wayfarer. But spend not wastefully (your wealth) in the manner of a spendthrift.

Verily, spendthrifts are brothers of the devils, and the Satan is ever ungrateful to his Lord.

And if you turn away from them (kindred, poor, wayfarers, etc. whom We have ordered you to give their rights, but if you have no money at the time they ask you for it) and you are awaiting a mercy from your Lord for which you hope, then, speak unto them a soft kind word (i.e., Allaah will give to me and I will give to you).

And let not your hand be tied (like a miser) to your neck, not stretch it forth to its utmost reach (like a spendthrift), so that you become blameworthy and in severe poverty.

Truly, your Lord enlarges the provision for whom He wills and straitens (for whom He wills). Verily, He is Ever All-Knower, All-Seer of His slaves.

And kill not your children for fear of poverty. We provide for them and for you. Surely the killing of them is a great sin.

And come not near to unlawful sexual intercourse. Verily, it is a faahishah [i.e., anything that transgresses its limits (a great sin)], and an evil way (that leads one to Hell unless Allaah forgives him).

And do not kill anyone which Allaah has forbidden except for a just cause. And whoever is killed (intentionally with hostility and aggression and not by mistake) We have given his heir the authority [to demand qisaas – Law of Equality in punishment – or to forgive, or to take blood money]. But let him not exceed limits in the matter of taking life (i.e., he should not kill except the killer only). Verily, he is helped (by the Islamic law).

And come not near to the orphan's property except to improve it until he attains the age of full strength. And fulfill (every) covenant. Verily! The covenant will be questioned about.

And give full measure when you measure, and weigh with a balance that is straight. That is good (advantageous) and better in the end.

And follow not (O man, i.e., say not, or do not or witness not, etc.) that of which you have no knowledge. Verily! The hearing, and the sight, and the heart, of each of those you will be questioned by Allaah.

And walk not on the earth with conceit and arrogance. Verily, you can neither rend nor penetrate the earth, nor can you attain a stature like that of the mountains in height.

All the bad aspects of these (the above mentioned things) are hateful to your Lord.

This is part of al-hikmah (wisdom, good manners and high character, etc.) which your Lord has inspired to you (O Muhammad). And set not up with Allaah any other ilaah (god) lest you should be thrown into Hell, blameworthy and rejected (from Allaah’s mercy).
    [al-Israa’ 17:23-39]

And verily for everything that a slave loses there is a substitute, but the one who loses Allah will never find anything to replace Him.”
    [Related by Ibn al-Qayyim in ad-Dâ' wad-Dawâ Fasl 49]

chat Quote

skatteress's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

the quran says that there are 9 commandments
    chat Quote

Insaanah's Avatar Super Moderator
    brightness_1
    ★ Islam is THE way ★
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by skatteress View Post

Please give the reference i.e. surah and ayah number of the Qur'an, in which it tells us that there are 9 commandments.

Jazaakillah khair.

chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by skatteress View Post
    Well, as George Carlin was fond of saying, it is clearly a padded list and can be easily reduced to 9, or less. Carlin got it down o 2 without losing any moral value.
    chat Quote

8. Hide
Hey there! The 10 commandments and Islam Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. The 10 commandments and Islam