× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
Results 1 to 20 of 77 visibility 9090

So I'm going to visit the local masjid today...

Who Am I?'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

... and I have to admit I am a bit nervous about it. I think I know what I want to discuss, but I'm mainly worried about what kind of reception I will get. I'm not sure what the brothers will think of an obviously non-Muslim white guy entering their holy place of worship. Part of this will be a test to see if I get a good reaction. I don't want to worship somewhere that I don't feel comfortable. Their reaction will play a big part in determining where I go from here...
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    ProudMuslimSis's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: So I'm going to visit the local masjid today...

WOW! That is great!

I am sure the local masjid will be delighted to have you as a member.
    chat Quote

Ramadhan's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

salam,

Did you call in advance so there will be someone who can answer your question, or are you just going to visit to have a look around?

Anyway, I wish you a pleasant and positive experience.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Ramadhan View Post
    salam,

Did you call in advance so there will be someone who can answer your question, or are you just going to visit to have a look around?

Anyway, I wish you a pleasant and positive experience.
    I emailed the brother I've been talking to so I could make sure he was going to be there. He said he would be, so at least someone will be there and I won't look like a Federal agent snooping around...
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    Perseveranze's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Allah(swt) guides who he wills, Inshallah that will be the case for you

A Fast Growing Islamic Search Website -

www.Searching-Islam.com
    chat Quote

Ğħαrєєвαħ's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Slave of Allaah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salaam/peace Just a Guy

I hope you enjoy your visit and feel comfortable with the experience and visit itself..

All the best!

"Allah! La ilaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), Al-Hayyul-Qayyum (the Ever Living, the One Who sustains and protects all that exists).".."[Al Qur'aan 3:2]
    chat Quote

aadil77's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Glory Be To Allah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Just a Guy View Post
    ... and I have to admit I am a bit nervous about it. I think I know what I want to discuss, but I'm mainly worried about what kind of reception I will get. I'm not sure what the brothers will think of an obviously non-Muslim white guy entering their holy place of worship. Part of this will be a test to see if I get a good reaction. I don't want to worship somewhere that I don't feel comfortable. Their reaction will play a big part in determining where I go from here...
    you might get a few looks here and there but don't mind them, its not uncommon to have white people in a mosque

just relax and hopefully all will go well - they have a duty to welcome you inside

33 43 1 - So I'm going to visit the local masjid today...
    He it is Who sends blessings on you, as do His angels, that He may bring you out from the depths of Darkness into Light: and He is Full of Mercy to the Believers. [Quran {33:43}]
    www.QuranicAudio.com
    www.Quran.com
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Have fun..and don't worry the brothers won't bite!
    chat Quote

GuestFellow's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

You'll be fine.

I was looking at myself talking to myself and I realized this conversation...I was having with myself looking at myself was a conversation with myself that I needed to have with myself.
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    Ghazalah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    It's all good... :D
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

A man took Shahadah at my local masjid last Friday after Jumah salah and he was then bombarded with hugs after I expect that you shall get a good reception most brothers at the Masjid will be glad to help in any way possible! Let us know how it goes!

Do not think of minor sins as insignificant,
    for mountains are made out of
    pebbles...
    chat Quote

Tyrion's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Just a bit of advice... Don't let the Muslims deter you or affect your judgement of Islam... I think it was Yusuf Islam (but I could be wrong) who said something along the lines of, "I thank God that I studied Islam before I met the Muslims.." Having said that though, I'm sure they'll be more than welcoming. Generally mosques and Muslims are warm and easy to get along with. They should be willing to listen to you and help you out.
    chat Quote

Revert 2010's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salaam, good luck bro am sure they will welcome you with open arms : )
    chat Quote

Flame of Hope's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Just a Guy is going to the masjid?!!

Aha!!! I am sooooooo delighted to hear this news! Yayyyy!!!

I can understand that you are scared and nervous but have no fear. Flame is here. lol.

I want you to know that you have been in my prayers..... Remember you told us that you could do with all the help you could get?

So when you go to the masjid, just think to yourself that the whole IB Towners are coming along with you..... well, you can imagine that, can't you? Besides, I'm sure everyone of us would be going along with you in spirit..... cheering you on.

We're with you.... every step of the way.

It is pointless to watch other people's houses crumbling when our own house is in need of repair and attention.

chat Quote

Just_A_Girl13's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salam brother,

I'm sure the brothers will be happy to welcome you. Some of the nicest people I know are Muslims, after all. Inshallah you will have a good experience and the brothers will answer any questions you have. Good luck, and peace be with you.
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    Muslim Woman's Avatar Super Moderator
    brightness_1
    Super Moderator
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salaam/Peace

.... I won't look like a Federal agent snooping around...

hmmm I was just going to write that . Some Muslims may suspect that u are not really interested about Islam but
    try to collect info about them .

But as already said , dont judge Islam by the behaviour of Muslims. Yusuf Islam ( Cat Stevens ) said , he personally
    did not know any Muslim before embracing Islam [ thanks God , I am happy that he did not ].

It is said that Islam is the best religion with worst follwers So , read Quran , ask God to help u.

Christ will never be proud to reject to be a slave to God .....holy Quran, chapter Women , 4: 172

recitation:http://quran.jalisi.com
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

"What if everything you've ever been told is wrong?" (I'll come back to this in the end)

Well, I am back and I have to say that it was an enlightening experience. I was REALLY nervous at first, almost to the point of puking when I first got there. I went in the bathroom first thing and literally almost threw up right there, I was so nervous, but I perservered. I've been given a lot to think about over the next few days. I haven't taken the shahada yet but I feel like I am closer to that than ever. I still want to learn a bit more and make an informed choice instead of just jumping into something ignorantly and then deciding that I really don't want to do it.

Anyway, I met the brother and we ended up talking for about two hours. I told him why I was there and what I was looking for; pretty much my whole life story and why I am looking at Islam as a solution. He gave me a lot to think about, in particular one thing he said resonated with me. I was talking about how I don't have any idea as to what my purpose in life is and why I am here, and he said that we are all created by Allah solely to worship Him. Now I have never even thought about that being my purpose in life, but maybe I've been looking at this whole thing all wrong. I've been trying to find something tangible, something I can look at and say "yeah, this is me; this is who I am." But maybe I can't do that. Maybe I'm not supposed to do that. I have to admit that that one thing right there really makes a lot of sense to me right now as I type this.

I'll admit that I'm still a little scared, but not so much of Islam anymore. I'm more worried now about what my family and friends are going to think when I tell them I've converted (which I admit that I am pretty close to doing now). But, I figure I can worry about that later. For now I want to keep educating myself and learning all that I can about this way of life. I told the brother that if I do this, I want to do it right, and do it for real, and not just half commit and then back out. He gave me a lot of stuff to read and gave me his card and said I could call him if I had any questions. He even invited me to a few events they are having this weekend, so I might go check those out. I want to surround myself with the Islamic lifestyle and really see how much of a difference it can make in someone's life.

I feel more at peace now than I did before I went in there. It's like a big weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. No, I am not a Muslim yet, but my eyes are open and my ears are listening. I appreciate all the prayers and support from those who offered it. I think I've taken a big step into a larger world. I think that finally the darkness is fading, but I'm not there yet. Maybe everything I have been told my whole life IS wrong. This is something I have to digest, and I admit it may take a little while...

Tonight I will pray to Allah and ask Him to guide me closer to Him...

TL-DR - Met with the brother at the masjid and gained a lot more understanding. Not a Muslim yet, but will probably be one soon.
    chat Quote

MustafaMc's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I am glad that things went well for you. You say that you were scared, but I see a tremendous amount of courage. I too am Caucasian and most often the only white guy in a masjid. It took me a long time to get over feeling so different from everyone else. I advise against telling family and friends too soon before you are well grounded in the Islamic faith. Insha'Allah I will be praying for you.
    chat Quote

جوري's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

we are all created by Allah solely to worship Him.
    And Allah swt has made it so that even standing by the ocean to admire its creation and say 'Glory be to Allah' as an act of worship..

wishing you well guy..

peace

Text without context is pretext
    If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - So I'm going to visit the local masjid today...

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by MustafaMc View Post
    I am glad that things went well for you. You say that you were scared, but I see a tremendous amount of courage. I too am Caucasian and most often the only white guy in a masjid. It took me a long time to get over feeling so different from everyone else. I advise against telling family and friends too soon before you are well grounded in the Islamic faith. Insha'Allah I will be praying for you.
    Right, well I plan on taking the shahada soon. I don't know when yet. I figure I will know when the time is right.

Anyway, the brother I talked to said they have people from all over the world at the masjid. There weren't many people there today, but usually on the weekends there are more. So I will try going there more to meet different people.
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    ProudMuslimSis's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Maybe everything I have been told my whole life IS wrong. This is something I have to digest, and I admit it may take a little while...
    Try not to dwell on the past too much and think of this day as a new day and a new start.
    I don't think we need to put down other beliefs to elevate Islam. It can stand on it's own.
    Enjoy the journey of discovery!
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
Hey there! So I'm going to visit the local masjid today... Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. So I'm going to visit the local masjid today...