× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 27 visibility 8093

The Saudi Syndrome: Are you Muslim?

Tawangar's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Thumbs down The Saudi Syndrome: Are you Muslim?

Report bad ads?

The Saudi Syndrome and the "Are you Muslim?" question:

Last edited by Tawangar; 12-08-2011 at 05:08 AM.

What is now proved was once only imagined.

wwwislamicboardcom - The Saudi Syndrome: Are you Muslim?
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    ardianto's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: The Saudi Syndrome: Are you Muslim?

Two young Arab guys visited a small travel agent that ran by the owner and two employees. Those Arab guy didn't have beard, wore t-shirts and jeans.

They told the travel agent owner that they need two tickets for international flight. And one of them wrote their names on a paper, as a requirement to order airplane tickets.

As small company, this travel agent didn't use internet. So, the owner phoned the airlines representative.
    "I need two seats to ..... "
    "Available. Including meals. Ask your customers, they want beverage with alcohol or without alcohol"
    The travel agent owner knew, Muslims are not allowed to drink alcohol. Then he asked those Arab guys
    "Are you Muslim ?"
    One of them showed the paper where they wrote their names
    "My name is Muhammad, and I am from Saudi Arabia"
    The travel agent owner so ashamed. Luckily, those Arab guys did not angry.

This true story was happened in the middle of 90s, in Bandung city. The travel agent owner in this story is Muslim too, and now you know him as Ardianto.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto View Post

Two young Arab guys visited a small travel agent that ran by the owner and two employees. Those Arab guy didn't have beard, wore t-shirts and jeans.

They told the travel agent owner that they need two tickets for international flight. And one of them wrote their names on a paper, as a requirement to order airplane tickets.

As small company, this travel agent didn't use internet. So, the owner phoned the airlines representative.
    "I need two seats to ..... "
    "Available. Including meals. Ask your customers, they want beverage with alcohol or without alcohol"
    The travel agent owner knew, Muslims are not allowed to drink alcohol. Then he asked those Arab guys
    "Are you Muslim ?"
    One of them showed the paper where they wrote their names
    "My name is Muhammad, and I am from Saudi Arabia"
    The travel agent owner so ashamed. Luckily, those Arab guys did not angry.

This true story was happened in the middle of 90s, in Bandung city. The travel agent owner in this story is Muslim too, and now you know him as Ardianto.
    Beautiful story.

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Racism in Saudi Arabia

Again thanx to Abu Sinan for inspiring me to write this post about racism. the comment was made in this post and made me think about a problem that we (Saudis , Arabs and Muslims) usually accuse other of but never admit of having.

Let me start with my own country . Yes , we have a huge percent of racist here and their target differ from non-Arab to Arab to Saudi themselves. i know for a fact that it's not easy to be a non-Saudi here, people will look down on you thinking that you are mainly here to take our money from those Saudis who deserve it. If you are a non-Arab and coming from a third world country then you are filthy and stupid, we treat them the worst. If you are a non-Arab but coming from the west, American or European for example, then you are bad but at least smart, you have no morals cuz you are not a Muslim. If you happen to be an Arab, then you are a thief and should be treated badly and that you are always guilty of thinking badly of us. Muslims are not better cuz they have the wrong kind of Islam and we are the best, they all should follow our own interpretation of Islam or they will be doomed.

It's not easier between Saudis themselves. There are the Shia who are a non-Saudi and should be sent to Iran. There are the different parts of the kingdom where everyone claims theirs is the best and the rest are either not civilized or not religious enough.
    The normal word for a black is "slave" or "Zebra" . And if a white woman is married to a black then he should be thankful his whole life for that, he shouldn't be mean to her not cuz it's wrong but cuz he wouldn't be dreaming of him marring the white lady.

Most of Saudi Arabia are tribes, so if you don't belong to one, you are called a non-Saudi. the worst case is when your father is a tribal and when your mother is not -such is the case in our house-so what do you do? whom should you belong to, cuz you have to curse the other side.

Racism is spreading all over the Arab world especially among non-Arab from the third world countries and blacks. Where are the Arabs from the Darfur problem? . Lots of Arabs don't like Saudis and even online i was faced by such rejection for being a Saudi without even waiting for me to explain myself.
    I don't know is it because we don't like the Arabs so they don't like us or it is they don't like us so we don't like them back. who started this dilemma??

It's not like the whole Arab and Saudis are racist and there are not an exact number of that. But we keep blaming others calling them racist and close our eyes of what is happening in our homes. pointing a finger towards them and can not see their own fingers pointing at us.

It's a huge problem but how can one change that when inside of you there are a small racist?? should the law get involved in such things and hope that one day in the long future things will change ??
    http://www.wafagal.com/2010/01/racis...di-arabia.html

| Likes إحسان liked this post

chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

RIYADH - Saudi Labor Minister Ghazi al-Gosaibi has warned against growing racism among Saudis towards the millions of foreign workers in the kingdom, mainly domestics, media reports said on Monday.Gosaibi told senior labor ministry officials on Sunday that the country should treat foreign workers better, protect their rights and not succumb to racism, local newspapers reported."Regrettably, we have become overwhelmed by arrogance and even racism, and we have begun to imagine that we are better than those who have come to share in shouldering the burden of development," he said."We should not be arrogant or racist towards those who came to serve us in our homes after we used to do everything ourselves," Gosaibi said of reported maltreatment of domestic workers, who reportedly number around 1.5 million.Foreign workers have a huge presence throughout the kingdom, estimated at more than eight million altogether in a country with a native population of over 17 million.Mainly Indians, Pakistanis, Filipinos, Indonesians and Bangladeshis, foreigners work in everything from construction and as household domestics to nursing, as shop attendants, programmers and business managers.Ghosaibi told officials their job is to protect such workers' rights, prevent mistreatment of foreigners and protect Saudi Arabia's reputation."When a foreigner came here to work in the past, we treated him with deference because he was either a doctor we asked to treat us, a teacher from whom we sought knowledge or an accountant we asked to watch over our business."But today this picture has changed. We look at them like they have come to rob us or to corrupt our society and spread criminality, even though it is us who have brought them here," he said.The minister's comments came amid controversy over a privately financed television and newspaper advertising campaign promoting respect for foreign maids, drivers and other low-wage workers.The "Mercy" campaign confronts Saudis with images of ugly treatment of their hired help -- not paying them regularly, not giving them time off and even treating them like animals.Some Saudis have complained that the public service ad campaign, by Jeddah-based advertising company FullStop, gives the country a bad image.US-based Human Rights Watch (HRW) said in a July report that many Saudis believed they "owned" their foreign domestic workers and treated them like slaves.
    http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/pinoy-mig...oreign-workers

chat Quote

CosmicPathos's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Anathema
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

These little arrogant Saudis are so racist towards Pakistanis, as we are sheep. These desert nomads are proud of their lineages while they keep forgetting if it comes to that then Pakistanis along with Hindus have intellectual history, culture, music, arts, philosophy that is as old as 4000 years. Somehow these bedouins keep on forgetting that they are the ones who should be thankful to us.

But it is time to move past these stupid boundaries of ancestries, and lineages and cultures and ethnicity. Why discuss these from a reference point where it is assumed that a Saudi has to call himself a Saudi or an Egyptian has to call himself an Egyptian. Would Allah enter us into heaven based on who contributed much more to his culture and his ethnicity?
    Last edited by CosmicPathos; 12-12-2011 at 06:10 AM.

Help me to escape from this existence
    I yearn for an answer... can you help me?
    I'm drowning in a sea of abused visions and shattered dreams
    In somnolent illusion... I'm paralyzed
    chat Quote

ardianto's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I have written in another thread my experience when I meet a long beard Saudi man in masjid who attracted to the car which my family hired. He's a polite and friendly person. He came with his local driver. I noticed how he talked to his driver, and especially how his driver talked to him. I could make a conclusion, he is a good Muslim man who always respect to everyone.

I regard that moment as beautiful moment because I meet a Saudi man who is different than the image of Saudi people in general. There is a long list of "how Saudi people are" which all points in this list are ..... negative.

I understand if many non-Saudi Muslims are angry to Saudi people. But backbiting, call Saudi people with bad name, or make bad du'a, are not behavior of Muslims. It's better if we make du'a, wish Allah turn bad people in Saudi into good Muslims like a Saudi man who I meet in masjid. Ameen.
    chat Quote

sabr*'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

As-Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم):

All cultures, tribalism, and ethnicity are subject to the identical biases
    mentioned. That is why there are numerous Masjid which evolved
    over ethnic disputes using Islam as the reason to establish Masjid
    in the same
    vicinity. The promotion of one ethnic, cultural and
    tribal background being better or just as good is equally horrendous.

Practicing Muslims should base our opinion through
    the lenses of Islam and not personal feelings and biases.

This post was submitted with the best intentions and the best construction
    should be used when reading it. STOP THE ETHNIC BASHING!

Either you are practicing or your not.

Lā ilāha illā-llāhu waḥdahu lā sharīka lahu lahu-l-mulku
    Wa lahu-l-hamdu yuḥyi Wa yumītu Wa huwa ḥayyu-llā yamūtu abadan abada
    ḏū-l-jalāli wa-l-ikrām, biyadihi-l-khayr
    wa huwa ‘alā kulli Shay’in qadīr.
    chat Quote

Ramadhan's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Well it's a good thing that Saudi govt finally starts to address the issue of racism (the least of the more serious issues)

Indonesian government is currently putting a moratorium/ban on sending domestic workers to saudi, after saudi government failed to provide necessary law and protection towards Indonesian female domestic workers.
    There have been many cases where Indonesian domestic workers were physically, mentally and verbally abuses by their bosses, including rape, and in some cases resulting in deaths of the workers.

chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Ramadhan View Post
    Well it's a good thing that Saudi govt finally starts to address the issue of racism (the least of the more serious issues)

Indonesian government is currently putting a moratorium/ban on sending domestic workers to saudi, after saudi government failed to provide necessary law and protection towards Indonesian female domestic workers.
    There have been many cases where Indonesian domestic workers were physically, mentally and verbally abuses by their bosses, including rape, and in some cases resulting in deaths of the workers.
    Inna Lillahi wa inna ilayhi rajioon.

chat Quote

إحسان's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Its unfortunate my country is like this. A country which holds the two most sacred sites for Muslims. But of course there is no perfect country.
    | Likes Banu_Hashim, Ramadhan liked this post

♥

نفك قيود الهوى والفسـاد

وبالعـلم ننهض في كل واد

وهـذي خواطر جيـل البنـاء

نُـريــد بـهـا رفعــة للـبـــلاد

chat Quote

Banu_Hashim's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    A slave of Allaah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Ramadhan View Post

I did hear hear of a recent case, in the last year or two of an Indonesian lady working as a maid in KSA who got killed? The Indonesian government reacted very angrily and rightly so. Allahul Musta'aan.

‘Say: If the ocean were ink wherewith to write out the words of my Lord, sooner would the ocean be exhausted, even if We added another ocean like it.’~Al Qu'raan (18:109)

2533160 1 - The Saudi Syndrome: Are you Muslim?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    A slave of Allaah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Racism exists in all cultures, religions (although not doctrinally) and countries. It is unfortunate however, that Islam, which came to purge mankind of such a dangerous and corrupting ideology, is not practised properly by the Muslims themselves. Long gone are the days of the khilaafa were Muslims could travel as they please, marry whom they please and remain a citizen of Daarul Islaam with full rights
    Last edited by Banu_Hashim; 01-03-2012 at 11:27 PM.

‘Say: If the ocean were ink wherewith to write out the words of my Lord, sooner would the ocean be exhausted, even if We added another ocean like it.’~Al Qu'raan (18:109)

chat Quote

GuestFellow's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

All countries have problems. Muslims tend to be more critical of Saudi Arabia because that is where the holy sites are located. It is unfair to generalise all Saudis or any other groups.

I was looking at myself talking to myself and I realized this conversation...I was having with myself looking at myself was a conversation with myself that I needed to have with myself.
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    Perseveranze's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Inquilaab View Post
    Racism exists in all cultures, religions (although not doctrinally) and countries. It is unfortunate however, that Islam, which came to purge mankind of such a dangerous and corrupting ideology, is not practised properly by the Muslims themselves. Long gone are the days of the khilaafa were Muslims could travel as they please, marry whom they please and remain a citizen of Daarul Islaam with full rights
    Asalaamu alaikum,

Imo this is the result of Arab nationalism, which stemmed during the colonial period. May Allah guide the Ummah.

A Fast Growing Islamic Search Website -

www.Searching-Islam.com
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    A slave of Allaah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Perseveranze View Post
    Asalaamu alaikum,

Imo this is the result of Arab nationalism, which stemmed during the colonial period. May Allah guide the Ummah.
    And with the fall of the Ottoman Empire, the British were only too happy to promote such Arab nationalism

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

And with the fall of the Ottoman Empire, the British were only too happy to promote such Arab nationalism
    Arab nationalism does not seem to be dying out even now though. May Allah help us.

chat Quote

Who Am I?'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The beauty of Islam is its simplicity, and its diversity. I went back to the masjid for the first time in a while for Ishaa prayer, and I was the only white guy there. But you know what? Nobody cared. Nobody judged me, nobody accused me of being an FBI agent, nothing like that.

I went, I prayed, and I left. Simple, and effective. As it should be. I think people get too caught up in stupid stuff like the rules of religion and skin color. That's not what's important. There are three simple rules to live by. Love God, love your fellow man, and love yourself. If you do those things, you'll be OK.
    | Likes Amat Allah liked this post
    chat Quote

GuestFellow's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I personally find Pakistani nationalism worse. Ugh I rather vomit and choke on burnt toast.
    | Likes Salahudeen liked this post

I was looking at myself talking to myself and I realized this conversation...I was having with myself looking at myself was a conversation with myself that I needed to have with myself.
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Tragic Typos View Post
    I personally find Pakistani nationalism worse. Ugh I rather vomit and choke on burnt toast.

All kinds of nationalism are deplorable, Pakistani, Arab or African.

chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! The Saudi Syndrome: Are you Muslim? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. The Saudi Syndrome: Are you Muslim?