× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 41 visibility 6973

Original Sin

Sumaiya54's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Original Sin

Report bad ads?

Asalaamu Aleikum,

I'm very confused about original sin! Can any Christians explain it to me? I know it has something to do with Eve being punished...thats about it

Thanks!
    Salaam
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    As far away from civilization as possible
    Religion
    Other
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Original Sin

I was born and raised Roman Catholic. It never made any sense to me, either.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Other
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

okay, okay.

From what I remember...I went to Catholic elementary school in eastern Canada when I was a wee tot. French nuns ran the place. I still have the rosary bead scars across my back to prove it.

Apparently, Catholics believe that we inherit the sin commited by Adam and Eve when they ate the forbidden fruit.
    This is the purpose of Baptism in Catholicism: The cleanse the sin inherited from Adam and Eve.

Don't spam the messenger...
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Greetings and peace be with you Sumaiya54;

The Bible does not say much about the Garden of Eden where Adam and Eve lived; but it seems to imply they had a fairly easy life. The garden had all the food they needed including the tree of life and if they kept eating from this tree they would live forever. It seems that Adam and Eve had a lot of freedom, because the only command God gave them was not to eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

When they disobeyed God and ate from the tree of knowledge, they disobeyed God for the first time, hence the original sin. It seems from this one act of disobedience, God knew how mankind would develop. We all suffer in this world today because of the original sin; because we continue to disobey God, we make our world full of injustice and evil.

In the spirit of praying for justice for all people.

Eric
    Original Sin

You will never look into the eyes of anyone who does not matter to God.
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    ardianto's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Greeting and peace, GodIsAll and Eric H.

Just want to know about Baptism to cleanse the inherited sin. If someone (baby) dies before Baptism, could Baptism done for him?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Greetings and peace be with you ardianto;

format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto View Post
    Greeting and peace, GodIsAll and Eric H.

Just want to know about Baptism to cleanse the inherited sin. If someone (baby) dies before Baptism, could Baptism done for him?
    We just trust that God will be fair and just to a baby that dies before Baptism.

It sounds as if Baptism is similar to saying the Shahada, I have heard that the sins of new Muslims are forgiven at this time. Would this be the same for a Muslim baby, if he died before being able to recite the Shahada?

Baptism is a means of forgiveness of past sins when an adult become a Christian, it is also a way of dedicating a baby to God. When the baby grows up and they are able to understand for themselves, they go through confirmation, which means they confirm for themselves the vows that the parents made on their behalf when they were baptized as an infant.

In the spirit of praying for justice for all people

Eric
    | Likes asiya45, ardianto liked this post
    Original Sin

You will never look into the eyes of anyone who does not matter to God.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Other
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Baptism is normally performed in a church by a priest or pastor. Holy water is used. The Catholic and Lutheran faith baptizes infants. Others may as well. Some denominations wait until the person is older and can make a conscious decision to be baptized.

According to the Catholic church, anyone can perform a Baptism without holy water in an emergency situation.
    | Likes ardianto liked this post
    chat Quote

Predator's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
    Greetings and peace be with you ardianto;

Would this be the same for a Muslim baby, if he died before being able to recite the Shahada?
    Dead Babies are not yet in the age to be accountable for their actions . They're destined for Paradise .

And Allah (swt) knows best
    | Likes asiya45 liked this post
    Original Sin

When truth is hurled at falsehood , falsehood perishes. because falsehood by its nature is bound to perish [21:18- Holy quran]
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Sumaiya54 View Post
    Asalaamu Aleikum,

I'm very confused about original sin! Can any Christians explain it to me? I know it has something to do with Eve being punished...thats about it

Thanks!
    Salaam
    Original Sin you say? I think it has all been done. I don't think it is possible to be original in your sin anymore.
    | Likes asiya45, marwen, GodIsAll liked this post
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    MustafaMc's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

My understanding of Original Sin is that the sin of disobedience of Adam and Eve (eating of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil) is passed down to each and every human except for Mary, per the Immaculate Conception, and for Jesus as God Incarnate. In the Protestant faith the only way to be cleansed of one's 'Sinful Nature' is to accept Jesus as your personal saviour and to be baptized for the remission of sin. The sacrifice that Jesus made on the cross is the only acceptable means to be redeemed from sin, hence the songs such as 'Are You Washed in the Blood?' There is no concept of Original Sin in Islam and a child is not held accountable even for his own misdeeds until after he reaches puberty. Each person is accountable for his own sin, not that of his fathers.
    chat Quote

CosmicPathos's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Anathema
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by GodIsAll View Post
    okay, okay.

From what I remember...I went to Catholic elementary school in eastern Canada when I was a wee tot. French nuns ran the place. I still have the rosary bead scars across my back to prove it.

Apparently, Catholics believe that we inherit the sin commited by Adam and Eve when they ate the forbidden fruit.
    This is the purpose of Baptism in Catholicism: The cleanse the sin inherited from Adam and Eve.

Don't spam the messenger...
    How far East? French Canada or the Maritimes?

You mentioned French nuns, I reckon from Quebec?
    | Likes GodIsAll liked this post
    Original Sin

Help me to escape from this existence
    I yearn for an answer... can you help me?
    I'm drowning in a sea of abused visions and shattered dreams
    In somnolent illusion... I'm paralyzed
    chat Quote

Abu Jamal's Avatar Limited Member
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

According to Catholicism. Original sin is the sin we inherit from the sin Adam and Eve, when they sinned in the garden. Everyone who has every existed has inherited it accept Mary and Jesus. There is no way to escape it. All you can do is believe in Christ, and doing catholic practices(Baptism, confirmation, communion, penance, priesthood, anointing the sick, and marriage), although these do not stop you from being a sinner. It just rewards you with a temporary grace, which needs to be topped up by continually doing them.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Other
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Yes, Cosmos, I spent much of my childhood in Montreal. Is Quebec your home?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Original Sin: Collective punishment and inherited guilt for disobedience to power (not immorality).

Christ the Saviour's Sacrifice: Vicarious redemption. Endorsement of human sacrifice. Glorification of violence. Complete abandonment of personal responsibility for your actions. The idea that the death and suffering of an innocent can undo your responsibility for your wrongdoing.

Both are sick in the head, and are reasons I prefer Islam and Judaism to Christianity.
    Last edited by Pygoscelis; 03-30-2012 at 02:01 PM.
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
    We just trust that God will be fair and just to a baby that dies before Baptism.

It sounds as if Baptism is similar to saying the Shahada, I have heard that the sins of new Muslims are forgiven at this time. Would this be the same for a Muslim baby, if he died before being able to recite the Shahada?

Baptism is a means of forgiveness of past sins when an adult become a Christian, it is also a way of dedicating a baby to God. When the baby grows up and they are able to understand for themselves, they go through confirmation, which means they confirm for themselves the vows that the parents made on their behalf when they were baptized as an infant.

In the spirit of praying for justice for all people
    God is always fair, of course.

Thank you very much for the answer, Mister Eric. But about Muslim baby who died before being able to recite the Shahada, I think this question has been answered by other participants in this thread.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Punishment that I got from my elementary teachers was stood in front of class. I got this punishment many time in grade 2. Always because a same fault, fought with other boys.

However, they did not only punish, but also taught me that violence is not a good way to resolve disputes. Later I stopped fighting and started learn to built good relationship with my schoolmates.

And my teachers taught me not only in school. Sometime in the evening they came to my home. Talked with my parents and gave me extra lessons. They always walked from their dormitory to my home because they didn't have vehicle. They are unmarried women.

Just like you, I studied in Catholic elementary school too, from middle of grade 1 until middle of grade 4 before I moved to Bandung city. But studied in Catholic elementary school did not change me into Catholic. My teachers never taught me anything about their religion. Honestly, in religious tolerance, they are amazing.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Other
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Without question, some of these Catholic institutions are exemplary in their academic standards....at least, in my area there are.

Top notch education.
    | Likes Sunnie Ameena liked this post
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Without question, some of these Catholic institutions are exemplary in their academic standards....at least, in my area there are.

Top notch education.
    I know.

Sometime I and other Muslims in my place discuss about academic standard in Catholic school. But unfortunately, we are not people who able to establish a school.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Other
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

There are SO many around here and they vary in their prestige and accomplishments. It seems the Jesuit Academies are especially well though of.
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The Catholic elementary school where I studied run by Franciscan.

I didn't know about it until I use internet and visit their website.
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Hey there! Original Sin Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Original Sin