Other
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Looking for guidance

Report bad ads?

Hello there,

I'm am looking for some guidance.

I am female, 28 and the vast majority of my friends are Muslim. The Islamic faith (although I know a bit about it, I know there is tonnes more to learn) fascinates me and I am seriously considering converting.

i feel a bit embarrassed asking my Muslim friends about how I would go about it in case they think I am joking and I don't want to cause offence!

Can anybody give me (as much a possible) any advice at all?

Many thanks,

Lynz
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    The-Deist's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Other
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Looking for guidance

format_quote Originally Posted by Openminded88 View Post
    Hello there,

I'm am looking for some guidance.

I am female, 28 and the vast majority of my friends are Muslim. The Islamic faith (although I know a bit about it, I know there is tonnes more to learn) fascinates me and I am seriously considering converting.

i feel a bit embarrassed asking my Muslim friends about how I would go about it in case they think I am joking and I don't want to cause offence!

Can anybody give me (as much a possible) any advice at all?

Many thanks,

Lynz
    What questions you got?
    chat Quote

sister herb's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Hello to you

Feel free to ask about Islam in here if you think your friends might misunderstand you. We try our best to answer - or you can search the forum as here is a lot of information already.

And welcome to forum.
    | Likes Openminded88 liked this post
    Looking for guidance

From Occupied Palestine:

We have suffered too much for too long. We will not accept apartheid masked as peace. We will settle for no less than our freedom.

chat Quote

azc's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Hello there, I'm am looking for some guidance. I am female, 28 and the vast majority of my friends are Muslim. The Islamic faith (although I know a bit about it, I know there is tonnes more to learn) fascinates me and I am seriously considering converting.i feel a bit embarrassed asking my Muslim friends about how I would go about it in case they think I am joking and I don't want to cause offence! Can anybody give me (as much a possible) any advice at all?Many thanks,Lynz
    plz go to any Islamic centre or mosque.
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    Insaanah's Avatar Super Moderator
    brightness_1
    ★ Islam is THE way ★
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Greetings Lynz, and a warm welcome to the forum.

To convert to Islam is fairly straightforward. You say with your tongue, while believing firmly in your heart, a declaration called in Arabic, the shahaadah. It translates roughly as, "I bear witness that there is no God (and therefore none worthy of worship) except Allah, and I bear witness that Muhammad (may the peace, blessings and salutations of God be on him), is the messenger and slave of Allah". You would say it in Arabic, either repeating after someone, or reading the transliteration in English text.

That's it. You might have heard statements such as, "so and so took her shahaadah". It means she did the above, and became a Muslim.

Ideally this is done in front of witnesses, such as in front of a couple of sisters at your local mosque. But you could do it with your friends.

Once you become a Muslim, certain things become mandated on you such as prayer five times a day, which you would slowly learn.

Perhaps you don't know how to bring up the subject with them? I don't think you should feel embarrassed at all, and I think they'd be delighted, as opposed to offended. Perhaps you could bring it up in an indirect way for a while, which could be, I love how you cover your hair, or it could be in the form of a question, such as how they manage to pray five times a day. Then gradually you and them both would start feeling comfortable, relaxed and used to talking about it. Otherwise, you could just be direct, and say, I'm really interested in becoming a Muslim, and take it from there.

Do you need any help with the core beliefs of Islam? There's some info on the beliefs here (apologies, it is a work in progress): http://www.leafletonislam.blogspot.c...t-leaflet.html

Please let us know any help you need with beliefs, how to approach your friends or anything else at all, and also let us know if this hasn't really helped. We're here to help.

Peace.
    Looking for guidance

Stunningly beautiful adhaan from the Dome of the Rock in Masjid ul Aqsa
    Download (right click and choose "save target/link as").

This is a clear message for mankind in order that they may be warned thereby, and that they may know that He is only One God, and that those of understanding may take heed (14:52)

Indeed Allah knows, and you know not (16: 74, part)
    chat Quote

Openminded88's Avatar Limited Member
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Other
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Thank you so much insaanah, I'm going to spend some time reading through your leaflet on Islam.

I'm also reading the q'aran at the moment too. My friend Inam advised me to start there first. He's the only one who knows of my interest and has been very helpful with that bit but I know he'll only be able to help to a point!

dont be shocked if I harass you for more advise later! Haha!

Thank you again
    chat Quote

greenhill's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Welcome to the forum.

I'd like to suggest that you read the stories about the 25 prophets of islam starting from Adam (pbuh) through to Jesus and Muhammed (pbuta).

This really helps us see the consistency of messages.

I often see children's books on this and that is good enough for basic understanding and you can probably finish them in an afternoon or a couple of days. .

Happy exploring and wishing you a great stay.

Looking for guidance

As long as my heart does beat, I shall live, not lie
    For when my heart does stop its beat, with truth, I die.
    chat Quote

Openminded88's Avatar Limited Member
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Other
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I will definitely look at that green hill, thank you. I have an iPad app call quaran explorer so I'll have a look and see if I can find the stories you mentioned. When I am on the train its good to have them all in one place!

Many thanks

lynz
    chat Quote

Insaanah's Avatar Super Moderator
    brightness_1
    ★ Islam is THE way ★
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

How are you doing Lynz?

I read a booklet today and the first thing I thought of was this thread.

format_quote Originally Posted by greenhill View Post
    I'd like to suggest that you read the stories about the 25 prophets of islam starting from Adam (pbuh) through to Jesus and Muhammed (pbuta).

This really helps us see the consistency of messages.

I often see children's books on this and that is good enough for basic understanding and you can probably finish them in an afternoon or a couple of days. .
    I will definitely look at that green hill, thank you. I have an iPad app call quaran explorer so I'll have a look and see if I can find the stories you mentioned. When I am on the train its good to have them all in one place!
    I have just read a 90 page booklet (big font, so reasonably quick to read) called The Prophets Appointed By Allah, and it's compiled by Umm Muhammad, and produced in collaboration with Saheeh International. Apparently, it's been in print since 1992. This edition is published by Dar Abul-Qasim, in 2014 in Jeddah.

The back cover says, "These concise stories about prophets mentioned in the Qur'an point out lessons to be learned from the experience of former generations. They have been carefully researched to avoid unverified information and will be enjoyed by all groups."

The foreward says that "the Qur'an does not relate these stories to entertain, nor is it a history book. Rather, the stories are related to teach, to warn about the repetition of past mistakes, and to illustrate examples of pious behaviour which lead to the pleasure of Allah." The stories also "represent the history of da'wah (invitation to the way of Allah) generation after generation. The essence of Allah's message related through all the prophets was: "O people, worship Allah. you have no other deity but Him. Except He Who created you, there is nothing worthy of worship; not stone idols, fire, heavenly bodies such as sun or moon, angels or other men - even prophets, for all of these are His creations."

They also "represent examples of strong faith of those chosen by Allah - examples to be followed by believers. When the Qur'an omits certain details, it is only because they add nothing to the intended lesson and therefore are of no importance. As Muslims, we do not rely on tales from the Jewish traditions (Israeeliyyaat) as their authenticity is questionable. Therefore all documentation in this book is based on Qur'an and hadeeth.

The purposes for relating these stories are several: firstly, to clarify the Islamic version (what is taken only from the Qur'an and the sunnah); secondly to understand the moral behind them, ... and the repercussioin of disbelief and tyranny, and finally to take examples of faith and righteous behaviour to apply to our own lives.
    It has chapters on 22 prophets, and explains that as prophets Idrees, Ilyasa' and Dhu'l Kifl just have their names mentioned in the Qur'an, therefore the stories of their lives are either not related in the book, or not given separate chapters.

I cannot find the text online, it seems only available to purchase, but is a good read, and seems authentic.

Peace.
    Last edited by Insaanah; 02-25-2016 at 10:35 PM.
    Looking for guidance

Stunningly beautiful adhaan from the Dome of the Rock in Masjid ul Aqsa
    Download (right click and choose "save target/link as").

This is a clear message for mankind in order that they may be warned thereby, and that they may know that He is only One God, and that those of understanding may take heed (14:52)

Indeed Allah knows, and you know not (16: 74, part)
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    Serinity's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I am happy you got interested in Islam.

May Allah increase you in security and guidance. Ameen.
    chat Quote

14. Hide
Hey there! Looking for guidance Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Looking for guidance