This post with follow up questions can also be found in Discover Islam forum under the title Muslim American Experiences, Re: Public Services.

Hello! My name is India

I am a sign language interpreting student in Florida. As a part of one of my classes* I am investigating how cultural aspects may impact the way people view medical services, legal interactions, education or other public places where there might also be interpreters. I am interested in considering how these cultural aspects and values might impact people who are DEAF when they are in these settings. Some of the areas of interest include language, cultural values and what is typical within these settings. As an interpreter having background knowledge about a community or culture helps us provide better and more accurate services. If you are not deaf and/or have no knowledge of Deaf culture that is okay, though!

Right now, I'm just looking stories and first hand accounts of the Muslim American experience. I know this is a diverse population and one that I admit not knowing very much about. If at any point I say something inadvertently offensive please let me know, and I will correct it! Any interaction that grows my knowledge and understanding is appreciated. To any who decides to share any experiences: Please do not feel pressured in any way, you can opt out of talking at any point or not answer any questions that make you uncomfortable.

I look forward to learning!

Salam!

*Class Project Informed Consent

You are invited to take part in a project that is part of my requirements for the class Interpreting with Diverse Populations, INT 4455, at the University of North Florida. This class project will be supervised by my instructor, Dawn M. Wessling

The purpose of this class project is to help me learn more about Muslim American Culture. The information I collect will not be used for academic research, publication, or presentation at professional meetings. Furthermore, information gathered for this project will not be presented outside of my classroom.

If you decide to take part in my project, your responses will be anonymous. No one other than me and my instructor will see the responses.

As a participant, there are no benefits to or compensation for taking part in this project. Additionally, there are no foreseeable risks for taking part in this project. Participation is voluntary with no penalties for choosing not to participate, not responding to a question or for ceasing participation.

By participating in this activity, you are attesting that you are over the age of 18.

If you have any questions or concerns about this project, please contact me.

Thank you for your consideration, I look forward to hearing from you!

Sincerely,

India Adams
n00833171 at unf dot edu