× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Results 1 to 6 of 6 visibility 3593

Extending ones index finger at the last moments during death.

whosebob's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

The reason I am giving this advice about extending ones index finger during death is because it means the same thing as declaring the Kalima. During salaah one sais Ash hadu Allah ha illallah(I bear withness there is none worthy of worship but Allah) Then one extends ones index finger to mirror what one has declared with ones voice, that Allah is one. That is the meaning behind extending ones index finger during salaah.

Here are few reason why should do so.

1.During death sometimes the believer does'nt have the strength to declare the Kalima with there voice
    2. It is a form of thikr that the sick believer can still perform
    3. Death is very confusing and painful. Raising one index finger is simple and when the sick believer dies they will still be declaring that Allah's is one with their index finger.
    | Likes Akeyi, Muslimah inshal liked this post
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Extending ones index finger at the last moments during death.

Some believers that suffer from a disability like myself, struggle to use speech or talk. This way I am voicing the Kalima through sign language to Allah. I extend my index finger the whole day. It's a means to make thikr to Allah if one can't talk properly. This form of ibaadah can also be used by those without a disability inshallah.
    | Likes Akeyi, Snow, Muslimah inshal liked this post
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Fatwa

As-Salamu alaykum. The reason I am asking this question about extending ones index finger during death is because it means the same thing as declaring the Kalimah. During salah one says Ashhadu an la ilaha illa Allah (I bear witness there is none worthy of worship but Allah). Then one extends ones index finger to mirror what one has declared with one's voice, that Allah is One. That is the meaning behind extending ones index finger during salah. Here are few reasons why I think one should do so. 1. During death sometimes the believer doesn't have the strength to declare the Kalimah with their voice. 2. It is a form of dhikr that the sick believer can still perform. 3. Death is very confusing and painful. Raising one index finger is simple and when the sick believer dies they will still be declaring that Allah's is one with their index finger.

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu waRahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
    All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear questioner, we would like to thank you for the great confidence you place in us, and we implore Allah Almighty to help us serve His cause and render our work for His Sake.

Answering your question, Dr. Mohammad S. Alrahawan, Associate Professor at the department of Islamic Studies in English, Al-Azhar University, Egypt, states:

Extending finger during prayer is not agreed upon by all scholars. Shafi`i scholars, for example, recommend that one raises his finger when he mentions the name of Allah. Other scholars recommended that one keeps moving them.

They have also disagreed on the wisdom behind raising one finger whether it is in reference to Allah or it is to show that one is engaged in prayer so that people do not pass in front of him.
    Anyhow, if raising your hand in the presence of a sick person is for reminding him of reciting the testimony of faith, there is no problem. We have been commanded by the Prophet (peace be upon him) to “Exhort our dying men to recite: ‘La ilahaillallah‘ (There is no true god except Allah).” (Muslim)
    First, a person may recite it in his presence so that he is encouraged to repeat it after him. In certain cases, a sick person may not be able to hear but he can watch people around him. He may also feel angry when people insist on exhorting him to say shahadah.

Imam An-Nawawi stated that a sick person may be persuaded to say shahadah several times. He may, in this case, dislike this practice and may utter inappropriate words while being on the verge of death. Therefore, people may give him implicit indications in order to remind him to recite the shahadah (An-Nawawi, Sharh Sahih Muslim, vol. 7, p. 219)
    Therefore, there is no problem to pay a person’s attention by raising your finger to the heavens to remind him of Allah or to encourage him to recite the shahadah immediately before his death.

Allah Almighty knows best.

chat Quote

Serinity's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

This is what I fear. What if I am in pain or confused, or can hardly breathe. And with my OCD, I fear saying it wrong. So raising my index finger, and in my head saying "Allah is one, my Lord - help me" or something would be easier.

I imagine death to be a spiritual fight, and most of all, a mental fight. So as long as I catter to Tawheed, remembering Allah. In shaa' Allah I will succeed. may Allah make us succeed. Ameen.

I have been struggling with Tawheed lately too.

So, will raising my index finger, while I try to remember Allah, and not let go of remembrance of Allah even in death, help?

I fear being too slow to recite the shahadah, and dying mid-sentence while saying the shahadah.

Allahu alam.
    Last edited by Serinity; 02-09-2017 at 07:10 PM.

Meaning of Shirk according to The Qur'an
    " Worshipping anyone or anything besides Allah " or " distributing anything exclusive to Allah, to anyone or anything else "

Meaning of Tawheed according to The Qur'an
    Worshipping none but Allah. Affirming whatever is exclusive to Him, Him alone.
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Serinity View Post

This is what I fear. What if I am in pain or confused, or can hardly breathe. And with my OCD, I fear saying it wrong. So raising my index finger, and in my head saying "Allah is one, my Lord - help me" or something would be easier.

I imagine death to be a spiritual fight, and most of all, a mental fight. So as long as I catter to Tawheed, remembering Allah. In shaa' Allah I will succeed. may Allah make us succeed. Ameen.

I have been struggling with Tawheed lately too.

So, will raising my index finger, while I try to remember Allah, and not let go of remembrance of Allah even in death, help?

I fear being too slow to recite the shahadah, and dying mid-sentence while saying the shahadah.

Allahu alam.
    Raising your index finger to declare the Shahadah is very easy mashallah. I suffer from schizophrenia and I hear voices tormenting me whole day. They try to confuse me about Allah. Just by raising my finger I confirm my shahadah, that Allah in one, to myself mashallah. I also almost died from the voices so I know how confusing death can become. I did'nt know what to do back then but I know now. Just raise your index finger and declare that Allah in one like in salaah inshallah. Allah knows best.
    | Likes Muslimah inshal liked this post
    chat Quote

Muslimah inshal's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Oh may Allah help you !!Amiin ya rab !
    | Likes whosebob liked this post
    chat Quote

9. Hide
Hey there! Extending ones index finger at the last moments during death. Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Extending ones index finger at the last moments during death.