star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Can I pray in English?

Report bad ads?

Im trying to learn Arabic, but for the time being can i pray in english? I know all the positions and words in english. I was also wondering what it means for a prayer to be silent. I looked at some site to learn to pray and it says that some prayers are silent and some are aloud. In the silent prayer do you say nothing at all?

salaam
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Muhammad's Avatar Administrator
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Arabic

Michael,

Congratulations on finding Islam; may Allaah keep you strong and bestow knowledge upon you, Aameen .

The best thing is to try and learn the Arabic words as soon as possible and try to be able to recite at least the most important parts of the prayer - like Surah al Fatihah for example. I don't know if it's ok to perform a prayer in English though. May Allaah make it easy for you to learn these new things, Aameen.

Here are some sites that tell you how to pray:

http://english.islamway.com/sindex.php?section=prayer
    http://muslimconverts.com/prayer/how-to-pray-intro.htm
    http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref=13340&ln=eng
    http://www.qss.org/articles/salah/toc.html

Let us know if you have any problems Insha'Allaah, we are all here to help!
    Can I pray in English?

chat Quote

tomtomsmom's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Agnosticism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Have you checked with your local mosque about arabic classes? If I remember correctly you are in Texas right? I also live in the states and at my local mosque they offer free arabic classes for anyone who wants to learn. You might wanna check that out.
    chat Quote

ژاله's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

welcome to islam bro
    i pray that Allah makes it easier for you
    as far as i know,prayers cant be offered in english
    wassalam
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    michaelconvert's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

thanks
    Im trying to learn from the sites. My friend and I are going to mosque friday so i will ask them. Its is almost like i can hear the words in my head but i can sound them out.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Spread this Avatar!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Asalaamu 'alykum (Peace be upon you) bro.

Welcome to islaam, and i'm guessing your bro Aman's mate right?

I'm not really sure if this link will be of any help to you, but please check it anyway:

http://sabbir.com/DownloadHalal.html

It's Qur'an in Arabic audio and english translation - verse by verse. Hope it benefits you insha'Allaah [God willing.]

Hope you benefit from these links too insha'Allaah:

http://www.sparklywater.com/sparklywater/downloads.html
    http://www.islam.com/salat/salatfinal.html

http://muslimconverts.com/prayer/how-to-pray-intro.htm
    http://muttaqun.com/prayer/toc.html

How to Pray

Peace.
    Last edited by - Qatada -; 04-02-2007 at 03:59 PM.
    chat Quote

kwolney01's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Can I pray in English?

I had the same question..thanks for all of the advice
    chat Quote

Skillganon's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Skillganon
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Malaak View Post

welcome to islam bro
    i pray that Allah makes it easier for you
    as far as i know,prayers cant be offered in english
    wassalam
    EDIT:

Correction:

Prayer is offered in Arabic.

@ Michaelconvert.

Now the situation the brother is in, he should offer the part easy part in arabic (refer to the excerpt below), but it should not be taken that you neglect your duty to learn the prayer in arabic, or that he think's it is not neccesary to offer it in arabic and starts offering it in english.

It is not that hard and after couple of day's you will be offering in full in arabic.
    Trust me on that once you start putting all you hard work and effort you would become proficient.
    Also one has to remember to atleast know more or less what you are saying in arabic.
    :sunny:

Here is an excerpt

Second: If you have not yet learned the manner and characteristics of performing the prayer (i.e. at least the movements and positions), appended to this message is a description from which you can learn. What is requried from you for the time being is to say in the beginning of the prayer and between each movement between positions "Allaahu ak-bar" (a glorification of Allaah). While standing, bowing, prostrating, and sitting, you should say "subhaan allaah wal-hamdu lillaah wa-laa ilaaha illallaahu wallaahu akbar." (Glory be to Allaah, and praise and thanks be to Allaah, and there is no god but Allaah, and Allaah is the most Exalted and Great.) Then conclude the prayer by turning your head to the right then left, each time saying "as-salaamu alaikum."

This way of performing salaat is permissible for you until you can learn and memorize what should be said in each movement and position of the salaat.

I ask Allaah to aid you and ease your affairs, and to bestow upon you the blessing of Islaam and perseverence in adhering to it. We are ready and willing to assist in explaining or helping to solve any problem or difficulty

Islam-qa
    Last edited by Skillganon; 09-10-2007 at 12:55 AM.
    Can I pray in English?

Advertisment:
    MY PERSONAL PAGE

wwwislamicboardcom - Can I pray in English? atomicth4 1 - Can I pray in English? atomicth3 1 - Can I pray in English?
    Atomic Bomb - Mushroom Cloud Cloud Blast from.
    chat Quote

Md Mashud's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Now the situation the brother is in, yes he can offer the it in english since e is learning
    I wouldn't think so. Don't fear though, aslong as you are learning arabic, you shouldn't be accountable for not being able to do the prayers. The prayers MUST be done in Arabic, as it is impure to do so otherwise - there is no guideline English, French, German etc version that one can imply with, nor has any mention been given for which it is permissable.

So, learn some small surah's, which even if you don't really know the arabic, by hearing it enough I believe (or even seeing the surah written in english combined) could make you able to recite it sufficiently for prayer.
    Can I pray in English?

Fight in the way of God, against those who fight against you, drive them out of the places they have drove you out, for persecution is worse than slaughter. Fight them, until persecution is no more, and Religion is for God. But if they stop, let there be no war.

chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    Skillganon's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Skillganon
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Md Mashud View Post
    I wouldn't think so. Don't fear though, aslong as you are learning arabic, you shouldn't be accountable for not being able to do the prayers. The prayers MUST be done in Arabic, as it is impure to do so otherwise - there is no guideline English, French, German etc version that one can imply with, nor has any mention been given for which it is permissable.

So, learn some small surah's, which even if you don't really know the arabic, by hearing it enough I believe (or even seeing the surah written in english combined) could make you able to recite it sufficiently for prayer.
    Thank's for the correction bro.

I was editing my post when you posted this.
    Can I pray in English?

Advertisment:
    MY PERSONAL PAGE

wwwislamicboardcom - Can I pray in English? atomicth4 1 - Can I pray in English? atomicth3 1 - Can I pray in English?
    Atomic Bomb - Mushroom Cloud Cloud Blast from.
    chat Quote

Mpls_Muslim's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

welcome to Islam brother, I too had a hard time at first, but after praying 5 times a day you will get it after a month or so ishallah just hang in there.

Abdulah
    chat Quote

jamafg's Avatar Limited Member
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

First of all Salam alik and welcom to Islam,
    Regarding your question, brother praying in any other languages than Arabic is not permissible, So please ask Allah for help and you'll Inshallah learn very soon arabic. Then you can offer your prayers to the Creator of the univrse.
    Allah-O-Akbar
    chat Quote

maniadoc's Avatar Limited Member
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Md Mashud View Post
    I wouldn't think so. Don't fear though, aslong as you are learning arabic, you shouldn't be accountable for not being able to do the prayers. The prayers MUST be done in Arabic, .
    there's no such "MUST". Where did u get this.???

If anything is a "MUST" that is offering of prayer in time & regularly.

So as long as he is learning Prayer(Salaah) in Arabic he can very well offer in language he understands.

Lot of muslims pray in Arabic BUT don't understand a word they utter. So what a prayer is that???? At least by saying prayer in his language till he learns Arabic, in future he'll know what he's saying when he pray in Arabic.
    chat Quote

ummzayd's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by michaelconvert View Post
    Im trying to learn Arabic, but for the time being can i pray in english? I know all the positions and words in english. I was also wondering what it means for a prayer to be silent. I looked at some site to learn to pray and it says that some prayers are silent and some are aloud. In the silent prayer do you say nothing at all?

salaam

well this is something all us non-arabic speaking converts go through. it's really excellent that you already know the words in English masha'Allah. the first thing you need to memorise in Arabic is 'al fatiha'. don't worry by saying it 17 times a day (if you do the 5 prayers) you will get it in no time insha'Allah. and take the rest bit by bit, the words said while bowing and prostrating are quite short and easy, the words said while sitting after the second rakah and the last rakah I found quite hard but even I got there in the end.

I was given some excellent advice which I will pass on to you. while it is very important to learn to say the prayer in arabic, it is perhaps even more important to connect with our creator in prayer. even Muslims with perfect pronounciation and able to recite long surahs in the prayer, are trying hard for that connection and may not achieve it. if at any time while praying you forget the proper words then just say words of praise to God, whatever comes to your heart, but don't 'lose' the prayer because of struggling to remember words.

you mentioned 'silent' prayers - these are not completely silent you still need to say the words but not out loud, ie just move your lips. if I am wrong I hope someone may correct me.

may Allah ta'ala make everything easy for you and reward you abundantly for your efforts, and continue to guide you (and me) ameen.

chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    adeeb's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

prayer must be in arabic, like what the prophet have taught us...

so u need to study, especially alfatiha, the most important surah, coz u have to read it 17 times a day...

dont worry...study it, and Allah will make it easy for you insha Allah...
    Can I pray in English?

Everything I Do, I DO for You, Allah!

Unable to deny the truth...
    chat Quote

UmmSqueakster's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

When I converted, a very kind sister mailed me a set of prayer cards that had a line of transliterated arabic, followed by a line of english. As I learned salat, I read the line in arabic allowed, followed by reading the english meaning in my head. That way, as the arabic got stuck in my head, the english did as well.

I made a set of cards that can be downloaded, in case anyone knows any new muslims who could use some help - http://www.mybloop.com/rahma/Islam/salat.doc
    chat Quote

caroline's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Pardon me. Allah is the creator of all the universe from the micro to the macro and he is the one who created the tongue and the ability to speak and all languages. I'm POSITIVE he understands English and that he understands and knows the heart. I am absolutely opposed to the idea that God only accepts prayers in Arabic. That limits Allah, and He has no limits -- either to his understanding or his compassion and mercy.

Respectfully
    chat Quote

☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    In need of Dua
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

this isnt about just any 'prayer' its about the Namaz prayer, which has to be done in arabic. You can 'pray' in any language' but namaz is important, for a new muslim there may be exceptions but this is highly controvesial amongst scholars.

Can One Make Salat in English?

Taken from Sayyid Abul A'la Mawdudi's "Rasael wa Masael", vol. III. This question and answer was originally published in the monthly "Tarjumanul Qur'an", Oct-Nov, 1957.

Question: I am an English Muslim. I am twenty-one years old. I accepted Islam a year ago while I was an army officer stationed in Somaliland. My question is regarding the official language of Islam. When I was a Christian I used to read the Bible in my mother tongue (English). After I became Muslim I have to both make salat and read the Qur�an in Arabic. This change makes me think that because of such a respect for Arabic � regardless of how sweet it is � I have been deprived of great spiritual enlightenment.

May I make my salat in English? I will be very grateful to you if you provide me guidance in this regard. In order for my satisfaction, please mention the names of any early imams who expressed their opinions on this issue.

This doubt is only a personal issue to me, but I can tell you with certainty that this has become a hurdle for many to accept Islam, especially in Europe. Some friends in London asked me to contact you and seek your guidance in this matter. I hope the direction you provide will be very valuable for me.

Answer: I am very delighted to know that you have accepted Islam. I am expressing my gratitude to Allah (swt) for enlightening the heart of a brother with the light of guidance, and am making supplication so that He may bless you with further guidance and steadfastness. I will be glad to help you, as much as I can, understand the commandments and different matters of the deen, and for this purpose you may contact me anytime.

The answer to your question about the language of salat is that salat can be made only in Arabic, because the most important aspect of salat is the recitation of the Qur'an. Translation of the Qur'an - regardless of how perfect it is - cannot be the Qur'an itself and therefore cannot be called the words of Allah (swt). Any other recitations in the salat besides recitation of the Qur'an were prescribed by the Messenger of Allah (saw). The same exact words are recited that the Messenger of Allah (saw) used to teach them. Any other language besides Arabic cannot express their correct meaning, and even if it does to some extent, that cannot replace the words of the Messenger of Allah (saw). Therefore, all fuqaha from the earliest periods till today are unanimous in their opinion that salat should be made in Arabic. One cannot read translation in place of the Qur'anic words, nor can the original words taught by the Messenger of Allah (saw) be replaced with other words.

However, if a non-Arab convert is not able to recite the Qur'an and other parts of the salat in Arabic immediately after becoming Muslim, then there are differences of opinions in what he should do. According to the opinions of Imam Abu Yusuf (ra) and Imam Muhammad (ra) - two great disciples of Imam Abu Hanifa (ra) - such a person can translate them in his language and read them in salat. But he must immediately start learning to be able to make the salat in Arabic. Imam Abu Hanifa (ra) at first had the opinion that even if one is able to recite in Arabic, it is still acceptable for him to make salat in a non-Arabic language. But he later withdrew this opinion and accepted the opinions of his two great disciples - Imam Abu Yusuf (ra) and Imam Muhammad (ra). According to Imam Shaffi (ra), under no circumstances can salat be made in a language other than Arabic. If a person is unable to recite the Arabic words, then at least he should say a few brief words in the salat, such as "subhanallah" or "alhamdulillah", etc., but should soon start learning to make salat in Arabic. (For further research in this matter, see the famous explanatory volume of the "Hidaya" book called "Fathul Qadi", vol. I, pp. 199-201; "Al Mabsut" by Imam Sarakhsi, vol. I, p. 37; and "Kashful Asrar" by Bazdabi, p. 25).

Making salat in a language that one does not understand and the words of which are merely recited - this appears to be quite strange and unnatural when looking at it externally. But if you reflect upon it deeply, its reasons with far reaching effects will become clear to you.

Survival of a religion in its original form and spirit depends largely upon preservation of its original teachings in their original language. Translation can never be equivalent to the original. The true spirit of the original and its comprehensive meaning cannot be rendered in a different language. If each one translates according to his own understanding, than no two such translations will be the same. We face this issue everyday for works done by humans. If that is the case, then how can we possibly render the words of Allah and the messengers with their full spirit and comprehensive meaning? And how can we say that this suffices for the original?

One of the most important reasons for the deviations of many religions in the world is that their scriptures are not preserved in their original languages and their followers are completely dependent upon various translations of these scriptures done in many languages. There is no conformity among these translations and they often undergo changes. Muslims are fortunate that the teachings of their messenger and the scripture upon which stands the foundation of their life - both of these are preserved in their original language and also preserved are the actual words of the messenger. Now if we do not appreciate this blessing and open up the door of setting the foundation of our deen on translations, then that would be a great stupidity on our part. The five daily prayers that we do - it is the greatest tool to keep us connected to the Qur'an and the guidance of the messenger. Once its language is substituted, it will become quite difficult to keep us connected with the original sources of the deen.

In order to preserve a religion, it is extremely important to preserve its institutions in their original forms and to make sure that people are not able to make changes in them according to their wishes. Most important elements of a religion are its institutions. Proper observation of these institutions and respect towards them establishes the remaining teachings of the religion. To the adherents of the religion, the matter that makes these institutions holy, respectful, and mandatory is the understanding that the Most Powerful in Whom they have iman is the One Who specified each element and each word of the religion. This understanding will cease when people will start incorporating their own opinions and wishes at the issue of what will be the forms and words of these institutions. And no sooner the base of this understanding collapses, then the chances for this deen to become deviated and the people to get free from the obedience of its commandments will become wide open.

The third important point is that, to have the same language for the adhan and salat for all people of all nations, races, and tongues is such a powerful connecting force that bonds all the Muslims of the entire world into a single ummah and a universal brotherhood. Wherever you go in the world, the moment you hear the call of the adhan you will feel that in this place there is someone or some people who belong to your community and now he is calling for prayer. You may go to London, Nigeria, or Indonesia for salat, but you will hear the same familiar call everywhere. You may not understand a single word of your Muslim companion, but he will not be unfamiliar to you in his salat, nor will you be unfamiliar to him in your salat. On the contrary, if everyone starts making salat in his mother tongue and in every place the adhan is being made in the local language, then this universal brotherhood will become divided into smaller fragments. There are more than three hundred languages in the Indo-Pak subcontinent. The number of languages that are prevalent only in this land - its Muslim community will be divided into that many pieces and one Muslim will not be able to understand the adhan when he comes out of his own area. Similar consequence will occur in other parts of the world. And during Hajj, the situation will probably become like the Minaret of Babylon. The numerous rival nations that the Christian world has become because of the nationalization of the church - this will signify the introduction of this same fate in the Muslim ummah. Do you not realize the blessing that what a powerful medium Islam has created for universal unity of the humanity that have been divided into innumerable pieces because of worship of nationalism, race, color, and tongue? It is because of this "official language" that Muslims can recognize Muslims everywhere and mingle with each other in such a manner as if from the beginning of creation a relationship has been established between their souls.

The need for understanding what is read in salat cannot be denied. But this need can be fulfilled without facing the greater damage I mentioned above. Only a few surahs are sufficient to make salat. Any other recitations in the salat besides the Qur'an are also a group of few sentences. In addition to memorizing them, one can also apprehend their meaning. Thus the need for what you termed as "spiritual enlightenment" can be easily fulfilled.
    source : http://www.welcome-back.org/question..._english.shtml
    Last edited by ☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆; 01-08-2008 at 10:39 PM.
    Can I pray in English?

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Remember there are 2 kinds of prayers - salat and dua. Salat is more akin to a ritual worship or a worship service than to what most westerners think of as "prayer." In this instance, the Prophet (saws) told us to pray as we saw him pray. He made his salat in arabic. When sahaba learned to pray, they prayed in arabic, even when it was not their first language.

Dua, on the other hand, can be made in any language. This is prayer as most people think of it. There are duas that the Prophet (saws) made that we have recorded, and that are recommended to say in arabic. But, there's nothing stopping a muslim from praying to God in their own language, asking Him for help, for guidance, thanking Him, asking forgiveness, whatever it is that you want to say.

One of the benefits of praying the salat in arabic is that you can walk into a mosque anywhere in the world and join in the salat. You can share in this intimate act of worship with brothers and sisters from every country, and you'll all know what's going on and will be able to participate.
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by (¯¨›Åÿê§h勨¯) View Post

this is about just any 'prayer' its about the Namaz prayer, which has to be done in arabic. You can 'pray' in any language' but namaz is important, for a new muslim there may be exceptions but this is highly controvesial amongst scholars.

For newbies, namaz is the persian/urdu/hindi word for salat.
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! Can I pray in English? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Can I pray in English?