star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Does God change his mind?

Report bad ads?

"God is not like men, who lie; He is not a human who changes his mind. Whatever he promises, he does; He speaks and it is done." - Numbers 23:19

"So the Lord changed his mind and did not bring on his people the disaster he threatened." - Exodus 32:14l
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Woodrow's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    May Allah have mercy on him رحمة الله عليه
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Does God change his mind?

You will have to wait for a Christian or Jew to Answer. That is not from the Qur'an.

Herman 1 - Does God change his mind?

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow View Post
    You will have to wait for a Christian or Jew to Answer. That is not from the Qur'an.
    Well, there is abrogation in the Qu'ran as well, but I'll deal with that later.
    chat Quote

Woodrow's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    May Allah have mercy on him رحمة الله عليه
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Philosopher View Post
    Thank you for the courtesy in understanding that we do not vouch for the accuracy of any scriptures outside the Qur'an or Ahadith.

Herman 1 - Does God change his mind?

chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    vpb's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

here's a link about Abrogation concerning Qur'an.
    http://www.load-islam.com/artical_de...orious%20Quran
    chat Quote

glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

"God is not like men, who lie; He is not a human who changes his mind. Whatever he promises, he does; He speaks and it is done." - Numbers 23:19

"So the Lord changed his mind and did not bring on his people the disaster he threatened." - Exodus 32:14l
    Interesting thread.

To my knowledge there are several incidents in the OT, during which God changes a course of action - usually in response to prayer. I suppose the question is, what was God's will in these situations in the first place? And how do we know?

On the occasion of sparing the Israelites who had gone astray and built a golden calf - had God planned to destroy them, and changed his mind because of Moses' plea (or rather a clever argument than a plea ...)? Or had God planned on sparing them in the first place, and was just waiting for Moses' request? Who knows?

For me, as a believer, it is encouraging to think that the prayer of one believer may reach God and prompt him to change his course of action ...
    (Out of interest, what is the Islamic view on this? Can intercessory prayer cause God to 'change his mind'?)

What the first verse is about, I will not even attempt to answer ... I don't know. I would have to do some serious reading up on Balak and Balaam ...
    Perhaps somebody else knows?

Peace

Peace
    glocandle ani 1 - Does God change his mind?

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

Come, let us worship and bow down •
    and kneel before the Lord our Maker

[Psalm 95]

chat Quote

Keltoi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Christians, and Muslims I assume, believe that God is aware of past, present, and future. If God "changes" a course of action, it is because that was His course of action to begin with. Human beings have free will, and as Glo eluded, God is capable of reward and punishment. However, He does not simply "change His mind", but is aware of the cause and effect of events.

"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is."
    chat Quote

vpb's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Different rules for different people. actually Allah swt made it easier for us, bc of his mercy.
    just imagine at the time of Moses a.s, when somebody's cloth was done with dirt (when u go to the bathroom), they had to change the whole cloth or cut that piece were it became dirty, whereas in Islam Allah made it easier, so we just wash it. There are a lot of things, which Allah swt made it easier for us. tha laws in Islam are much easier. so it doesn't mean that Allah changed his mind, it's just that he made it easier for us.
    chat Quote

Abdul Fattah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    a.k.a. steve
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

No, God doesn't change his mind. If he'd change his mind that would imply that new information swayed him to a different opinion. But God is omniscient, so there can't be something that he overlooked before changing his mind.

Check out my website for my conversion story.
    Check out my free e-book if you like reading drama-novels.
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Spread this Avatar!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

It is analogous to a Professor who asks his students to perform 30 minutes of studying everyday for the first week. During the second week, he 'abrogates' his initial command and asks his students to perform 1 hour of studying every day. The Professor did not make a mistake initially, nor did he react to an unforeseen event. Rather, he had always planned to give a lighter load the first week to his students, and then increase the workload the next week because he knew they would be ready for it. In fact, he had his plan for the entire course written down and recorded. So when he initially gave the order to perform 30 minutes of homework, he knew that he would later abrogate this command.

More info:
    http://www.islamicboard.com/islamic-...brogation.html
    chat Quote

Keltoi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by - Qatada - View Post
    It is analogous to a Professor who asks his students to perform 30 minutes of studying everyday for the first week. During the second week, he 'abrogates' his initial command and asks his students to perform 1 hour of studying every day. The Professor did not make a mistake initially, nor did he react to an unforeseen event. Rather, he had always planned to give a lighter load the first week to his students, and then increase the workload the next week because he knew they would be ready for it. In fact, he had his plan for the entire course written down and recorded. So when he initially gave the order to perform 30 minutes of homework, he knew that he would later abrogate this command.

More info:
    http://www.islamicboard.com/islamic-...brogation.html
    Good analogy

"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is."
    chat Quote

barney's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

During the nights journey, Allah was approached several times by mohammed and reduceed the prayer after negotiation from 50 to 30 to 20 to 5.

This was done "As a blessing" to the muslims, and "the 5 is equal to the 50".

But it's still changing his mind.
    Last edited by Abdul Fattah; 06-18-2007 at 11:26 PM.

Occupation: The term of control of a territory by foreign military forces: Iraq 2003-2005
    Liberation:when something or someone is freed: Operation Telic 2003
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Spread this Avatar!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by barney View Post
    During the nights journey, Allah was approached several times by mohammed and reduceed the prayer after negotiation from 50 to 30 to 20 to 5.

Is there any mention of Him changing His mind? No there's not - so you don't have the right to claim that. Since He is the All Knowing.

Since there is authentic text which states that He is the All Knowing, and there isn't any text which states 'He changed his mind' - then that means that the former takes preference over the latter.

Regards.
    chat Quote

vpb's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

5 prayers have the same rewards as 50 prayer... so?? what's the big deal here?

instead of paying 50 pounds for 5 bananas, now you get 5 banans only for 5 pounds. it's just a discount. any problem with discount?
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    a.k.a. steve
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I can see how you would come to the conclusion. But I think you should give God a bit more credit then that. He knew that Muhammed peace be upon him would ask that. So there was a different reason he said 50 at first, and allowed Muhammed to make it easier for us. there is certainly knowledge behind it, but I I am not certain so I will not indulge in speculating, and Allah subhana wa ta'ala knows best.

(ps I accedentially edited your post at first by pressing teh wrong botton, my apologies, still new to this moderating thing

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Hi.

With the greatest respect, the fact that it dosnt say he changed his mind dosnt mean he diddnt change his mind.

If I say a bloke asked me if i wanted an orange and I said no, an apple, then a grapefruit and finally a turnip. I'd be changing my mind.

The Turnip I could say is the same as the Orange, and I could accept it as such,and it genuinely be the same to me, but I would have changed my mind from my original request.

I may have a good reason for changing my mind, but change it I did.

Not the best allagory, and not meant to be disrespectful, but as to the point, it's rock solid!

Occupation: The term of control of a territory by foreign military forces: Iraq 2003-2005
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Actually...does it matter if god changes his mind?

He's god so it's not like he's answerable to anyone!

chat Quote

brightness_1
    a.k.a. steve
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by barney View Post
    Hi.

With the greatest respect, the fact that it dosnt say he changed his mind dosnt mean he diddnt change his mind.

If I say a bloke asked me if i wanted an orange and I said no, an apple, then a grapefruit and finally a turnip. I'd be changing my mind.

The Turnip I could say is the same as the Orange, and I could accept it as such,and it genuinely be the same to me, but I would have changed my mind from my original request.

I may have a good reason for changing my mind, but change it I did.

Not the best allagory, and not meant to be disrespectful, but as to the point, it's rock solid!
    Well it's not changing your mind if you do it because of a hidden agenda.

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Fattah View Post
    Well it's not changing your mind if you do it because of a hidden agenda.

Groan!

Theists! gotta love em!

chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    a.k.a. steve
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Theists! gotta love em!
    Yeah I know, our gentle nature makes us very lovable

Seriously, look at the exampel of teh teacher that -qatada- wrote, it makes perfect sense.

chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Hey there! Does God change his mind? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Does God change his mind?