× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 34 visibility 3652

Christmas should be 'downgraded' to help race relations says Labour think tank

Amadeus85's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

By JAMES CHAPMAN -

Christmas should be downgraded in favour of festivals from other religions to improve race relations, says an explosive report.

Labour's favourite think-tank says that because it would be hard to "expunge" Christmas from the national calendar, 'even-handedness' means public organisations must start giving other religions equal footing.

The leaked findings of its investigation into identity, citizenship and community cohesion also propose:

• "Birth ceremonies", at which state and parents agree to "work in partnership" to bring up children

• Action to "ensure access" for ethnic minorities to "largely white" countryside

• An overhaul of Britain's "imperial" honours system

• Bishops being thrown out of the House of Lords

• An end to "sectarian" religious education

• Flying flags other than the Union Jack.

Nativity scene: Christian celebrations in schools could become a thing of the past

xmasDM3110 468x307 1 - Christmas should be 'downgraded' to help race relations says Labour think tank

The report by the Institute for Public Policy Research was commissioned when Nick Pearce, now head of public policy at Downing Street, was its director.

IPPR has shaped many Labour policies, including ID cards, bin taxes and road pricing.

The report robustly defends multiculturalism - the idea that different communities should not be forced to integrate but should be allowed to maintain their own culture and identities.

And it says immigrants should be required to acquire some proficiency in English and other aspects of British culture "if - but only if - the settled population is willing to open up national institutions and practices to newcomers and give a more inclusive cast to national narratives and symbols".

It adds: "Even-handedness dictates that we provide public recognition to minority cultures and traditions.

"If we are going to continue as a nation to mark Christmas - and it would be very hard to expunge it from our national life even if we wanted to - then public organisations should mark other religious festivals too.

"We can no longer define ourselves as a Christian nation, nor an especially religious one in any sense.

"The empire is gone, church attendance is at historically low levels, and the Second World War is inexorably slipping from memory."

National celebration: But could Christmas soon be 'downgraded'?

ChrimLights 228x299 1 - Christmas should be 'downgraded' to help race relations says Labour think tank

The report, written by IPPR advisers Ben Rogers and Rick Muir, calls on Ministers to launch an "urgent and upfront campaign" promoting a "multicultural understanding of Britishness".

"Multiculturalism can be shown to provide for a fairer and more liberal society and does not necessarily lead to social division and community conflict, as its critics have claimed," it says.

Councils must act to "ensure children mix and are able to form friendships with pupils from different backgrounds".

The report adds: "Any liberal state should recast the civic oaths and national ceremonies, or institutions like Parliament and the monarchy, in a more multi-religious or secular form and make religious education less sectarian."

The presence of bishops in the House of Lords, for instance, is condemned as an "anachronism" that should be removed.

The system in which parents are required to register a new baby at a register office is dismissed as "purely bureaucratic".

The occasion should be transformed into a "public rite", using citizenship ceremonies for immigrants as a model, the report says.

"Parents, their friends and family and the state [would] agree to work in partnership to support and bring up their child."

Rural Britain, the report complains, "remains a largely white place".

Much more needs to be done to "ensure access" to the countryside for black and ethnic minority groups, disabled people and children from inner-city areas.

Sayeeda Warsi, the Conservative spokesman on community cohesion, said: "Their comments betray a breathtaking misunderstanding of what it is to be British. These proposals could actually damage cohesion."

She added: "You don't build community cohesion by throwing out our history and denying the fundamental contribution Christianity has played and does play to our nation.

"As a British Muslim I can see that - so why others can't just staggers me."

And she attacked ceremonies to mark the registration of a baby.

"The thought of Gordon Brown sharing responsibility with me for bringing up my children sends a shiver down my spine. I thought we got rid of communism?"
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770
    Last edited by Amadeus85; 11-01-2007 at 11:22 PM.

This country is dying because of a lack of men, not a lack of programs.

- Corneliu Zelea Codreanu
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Muezzin's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    Bat-Mod
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Christmas should be 'downgraded' to help race relations says Labour think tank

Yeah, I'm just waiting for this to be blamed on the ethnic or religious minority who didn't have a say in the matter and actually tend to think such acts are grotesquely stupid.

Right...

About...

Oh, all right. Maybe the real attack will be on 'multiculturalism' as a concept, rather than the flawed way in which blinkered politicians clumsily interpret it.

Either way, the thought of downgrading an already secularised religious festival such as Christmas, or subverting centuries-old tradition by chucking clergymen out of the House of Lords, for the perceived benefit of an ethnic or religious minority is simply crazy talk.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Christmas should be 'downgraded' to help race relations says Labour think tank

PC at its worst. Yay!
    chat Quote

The_Prince's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Mars, where they located the ice, it was my freezer where i keep the fish
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

go on ppl, blame the Muslims! lol they want to blame muslims for this but cant since muslims actually didnt say this or have a say in it.
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    aamirsaab's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    On vacation.
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Christmas should be 'downgraded' to help race relations

LOL!

Here is a view from a muslim (me): Seeing as I do not celebrate Christmas, I don't even care if it is upgraded let alone downgraded. This is fundementally a Christian country with many Christian cultures/practices, namely Christmas. I accepted that a long time ago and NEVER said to change it.

Downgrading Christmas will do little for race relations. Jeez, if I downgraded eid, I'd be a coconut. I wonder what a Christian would therefore be, if they downgraded Christmas?

Book on sharia law Updated!
    Mosque-a-mania!
    Someone said to the Prophet, "Pray to God against the idolaters and curse them." The Prophet replied, "I have been sent to show mercy and have not been sent to curse." (Muslim)
    ''Become the change''
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin View Post
    Yeah, I'm just waiting for this to be blamed on the ethnic or religious minority who didn't have a say in the matter and actually tend to think such acts are grotesquely stupid.

Right...

About...

Oh, all right. Maybe the real attack will be on 'multiculturalism' as a concept, rather than the flawed way in which blinkered politicians clumsily interpret it.

Either way, the thought of downgrading an already secularised religious festival such as Christmas, or subverting centuries-old tradition by chucking clergymen out of the House of Lords, for the perceived benefit of an ethnic or religious minority is simply crazy talk.
    I didnt post this thread to attack ethnic minorities or muslims in UK, but to see your opinions about it and show that the biggest enemies of Western Civilization are our own european moral barbarians.

chat Quote

Malaikah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Swimming with thermus aquaticus in Yellowstone National Park
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab View Post
    Here is a view from a muslim (me): Seeing as I do not celebrate Christmas, I don't even care if it is upgraded let alone downgraded. This is fundementally a Christian country with many Christian cultures/practices, namely Christmas. I accepted that a long time ago and NEVER said to change it.

I thought the UK was a secular country?

wwwislamicboardcom - Christmas should be 'downgraded' to help race relations says Labour think tank
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by The_Prince View Post
    go on ppl, blame the Muslims! lol they want to blame muslims for this but cant since muslims actually didnt say this or have a say in it.
    Atheists are more likely to be blamed, mostly because they've been campaigning to get religion removed from public view. This is going to far, but we'll get blamed regardless
    chat Quote

Bittersteel's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

wtf???what's wrong with Christmas in Britain for God's sakes?are people getting stupid day by day or what?hopefully it's one of those think tank ideas never to be put in practice.
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    snakelegs's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

this should be warmly embraced by xenophobes and bigots. i'm a little surprised that it was proposed by labour party. (tho i know nothing about british politics). it sounds like a gift to the right wingers - bound to fuel the fires of racism and nationalism.

each man thinks of his own fleas as gazelles
    question authority
    image06 1 - Christmas should be 'downgraded' to help race relations says Labour think tank
    chat Quote

Karina's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Christmas downgraded? Hmm. Never mind that.
    I think that a few more Brits should be educated on what & why they are actually celebrating at Christmas. Does anyone actually take into account the religious meaning anymore? Really. What are they celebrating?

Celebrating the robotic christmas shopping that starts in September?

Celebrating mountains of unwanted gifts?

Celebrating the gluttony, the mass hysteria in the supermarket aisles?

Celebrating the miles of un-moving motorway traffic?

Ooops sorry I was thinking out loud, bah humbug!

In heaven, all the interesting people are missing.

Friedrich Nietzsche
    chat Quote

guyabano's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

There's nothing worsier than to run through a shopping mall and get peramantly showered by Christmas songs. Jeeeez, I hate it.
    But then again, my kids love the Christmas Atmosphere

Im Always Right,Its Like,When Im Right,Im Right,And When Im Wrong,I Could've Been Right,So Im Still Right,'Cause I Could've Been Wrong!
    chat Quote

S_87's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Maryams Mommy
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

thats silly, i hope they dont blame it on muslims which im sure some people will :rolleyes:
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by amani View Post

thats silly, i hope they dont blame it on muslims which im sure some people will :rolleyes:
    Looks like someone has a guilt complex.

Now I think they will blame the atheists. After all, we all know they are evil.
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    Karina's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

There's always got to be blame. blame blame balme.

Sometimes I think that blame is one area we may be going wrong in this world.

But, hey ho. Just generalising again . :zip:

Anyway. Christmas......................................... .................

In heaven, all the interesting people are missing.

Friedrich Nietzsche
    chat Quote

Fishman's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Post Re: Christmas should be 'downgraded' to help race relations says Labour think tank

So, they want to downgrade Christmas, which most people like, whilst leaving Halloween, which loads of people hate, all in the name of 'race relations'?

Seriously, Christmas should be a time for giving (not wanting, as the shops all say), and if people were a bit more religious about it I think it would help our society. However, Halloween is a festival about devils that does not even commemorate anything decent anymore, and causes huge amounts of antisocial behaviour, what with people's houses being egged and all. Bonfire night is also a major antisocial behaviour blackspot as well, but it does still mean something to people...

wwwislamicboardcom - Christmas should be 'downgraded' to help race relations says Labour think tank
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

This is more of a personal thing, but I for one would be happy if christmas got cancelled. Why?

I really, really hate christmas music. Like REALLY! And all the crappy christmas specials on tv, and consequently, I hate the colours Red, Green, and White. Especially in that combination. AHHH!

Down with Christmas! (6)
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I think that if someone is to be blamed for downgrading Christmas its we , majority of western christians who allowed this holy day to become just a great opportunity for selling things.

chat Quote

Keltoi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Well, it must be understood that the Christmas we see out in public, meaning Santa, reindeer, elves, etc, is simply a secular version of an otherwise purely religious holiday. When I walk around the mall and hear Christmas songs and see people spending extraordinary amounts of money, the life, death, and resurrection of Christ isn't involved in any of it. The real Christmas occurs at places of worship and people's personal religious observances.

"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is."
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    chacha_jalebi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

who cares

Jaa-Ro-Nee-Mo!!!

"they ask you when will the help of Allah (swt) come! Certainly Allah (Swt) help is always near"

Surah al Baqarah v214

SMILE
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! Christmas should be 'downgraded' to help race relations says Labour think tank Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Christmas should be 'downgraded' to help race relations says Labour think tank