× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
Results 1 to 20 of 65 visibility 7791

Ameeratul Layl's Science Corner

Ameeratul Layl's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

Brothers and sisters,

This is a thread dedicated to those who, like myself, enjoy science. Today, I sat in class and watched an autopsy. It is the most amazing thing I have ever done in Science 9apart from disect a pair of lungs and watch a fountain of blood all over the table) .
    I would like to use this thread to share my experiences and for you to share yours. Of course, things mentioned should be within limits of Islam (have some respect).

I hope to hear from you ALL soon, InshAllah.
    Ramadhaan Kareem to you ALL.

Allah ma3akum :coolsis:

[MOUSE]hAvE A nIcE dAy[/MOUSE]
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Ameeratul Layl's Science Corner

format_quote Originally Posted by zAk

Thread MOVED !!!

aaaaaaah another "CORNER" :brother:

My corner is going to be better than your brother zak InshAllah.

chat Quote

Danish's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

made Aspirin in chemistry last couple of lessons, gonna make Soap tomarrow (saponisation of carboxylic acids)...had chem test 2day, i flopped
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Danish

made Aspirin in chemistry last couple of lessons, gonna make Soap tomarrow (saponisation of carboxylic acids)...had chem test 2day, i flopped

Wow, ur going to make soap. Okay, I havent got to that bit yet...
    I have a physics test on Friday.
    InshAllah, we will pass

One piece of advise.... before you go into the test/class room. Read surah 3nkaboot. And whilst sitting at the table (with ur paper in front of you)....read Al Mutakabir. It works wonders!!

Good luck

Allah ma3ak :coolsis:

chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    S_87's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Maryams Mommy
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

oh i hate physics and chemistry by biology wasnt bad

you might enjoy going to the thakray medical museum in leeds Ameera you can even watch a couple of ops on video of course

Our Lord! Verily, we have heard the call of one calling to Faith: 'Believe in your Lord,' and we have believed.
    Our Lord! Forgive us our sins and expiate from us our evil deeds, and make us die (in the state of righteousness) along with Al-Abrar
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by amani

oh i hate physics and chemistry by biology wasnt bad

you might enjoy going to the thakray medical museum in leeds Ameera you can even watch a couple of ops on video of course

I live n Birmingham. Leeds is too far and mom wont let me go alone.
    My name is not Ameera....it is AMEERATUL LAYL.

I've watched enuf videos....I need to see it all in real life and get to meddle with it!

chat Quote

S_87's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Maryams Mommy
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Ameeratul Layl

I live n Birmingham. Leeds is too far and mom wont let me go alone.
    My name is not Ameera....it is AMEERATUL LAYL.

I've watched enuf videos....I need to see it all in real life and get to meddle with it!

the student hospital is next door just pop in

had chem test 2day, i flopped
    i always flopped chem

Our Lord! Verily, we have heard the call of one calling to Faith: 'Believe in your Lord,' and we have believed.
    Our Lord! Forgive us our sins and expiate from us our evil deeds, and make us die (in the state of righteousness) along with Al-Abrar
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by amani

the student hospital is next door just pop in

i always flopped chem

yeah okay amani...calm down...

chat Quote

Sister4U's Avatar Limited Member
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Hey sis (Ameeratul Layl) I dunno if ya gotz ma messeage or not...but I'm 4rom Birmingham 2

Hmm wonderin which part u 4romz...

PM me anytime

chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Sister4U

Hey sis (Ameeratul Layl) I dunno if ya gotz ma messeage or not...but I'm 4rom Birmingham 2

Hmm wonderin which part u 4romz...

PM me anytime

I've tried to PM you but ur inbox is full.
    Empty ur inbox u....unhygienic child.

:coolsis:

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by zAk

well, she is still a LIMITED MEMBER, n the limitation restricts the member from using PM Facility !

Yeah okay...sorry.

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Check this out brothers and sisters. Its very intersting:

http://www.saudicaves.com/science/index.html

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Title:Food for thought

Adolescents are increasingly dining out on fried foods, a new study finds, and the older they are the more frequently they do so. Those trends may portend hefty risks down the line, the authors argue, because the youngsters who ate out most often were generally the heaviest kids and they gained the most weight over the course of a year.

Fries and other fast-food fare appear to foster excessive weight gain in adolescents, a 3-year study finds.
    PhotoDisc

These are worrisome prospects in this nation, where obesity is reaching epidemic proportions even in children, notes study leader Elsie M. Taveras, a Harvard Medical School pediatrician. Then again, she adds, the findings aren't all that surprising, since studies in adults have shown that restaurants tend to serve larger portions than home cooks do, and that people respond by consuming more calories on days they eat out.

The new findings are especially troubling since the study's participants—representing all 50 states—had at least one parent schooled in diet and health. Their moms were all nurses being periodically surveyed as part of a long-running diet-and-health study administered by the Harvard School of Public Health.

Fried foods may not be the problem
    Taveras' team administered a dietary questionnaire annually for 4 years to more than 14,000 boys and girls ages 9 to 14. The recruits included only children with what appeared to be normal eating behaviors, Taveras says, which means they weren't obviously dieting or suffering from eating disorders. In addition to supplying information on their height, weight, physical activity, and their body's maturation, the volunteers also estimated how often they ate fried foods—such as french fries or chicken nuggets—away from home each week.

That last number turned out to be about the same as the frequency a child typically ate at a fast-food restaurant. As such, Taveras says, the fried-food question appears to capture most visits to fast-food restaurants. And that's important, because as fried foods are high in calories, so are soft drinks, pastries, sausages, and burgers—fast-food fare that is typically consumed along with fries or fried chicken.

In the October Pediatrics, the Harvard team reports that at the beginning of the study, 3.5 percent of the girls and 6 percent of boys said they went out for fried foods four to seven times a week. But that was the overall figure for the highest-consumption category. Fewer preteens ate out so frequently, and more of the 13-to-14-year-olds did. In the older group, 4.4 percent of girls and 7.7 percent of boys said that they ate restaurant-fried foods four to seven times a week.

Three years later, the overall rates at which these adolescents ate out had more than doubled.

Annually, the researchers also computed each child's body-mass index (BMI) based on age-specific formulas that account for a child's physical maturity. Those calculations showed that a child's BMI tended to be somewhat higher (fatter) the more often he or she ate fast foods away from home.

Moreover, those children who said that they had been eating these foods four to seven times per week gained more weight from year to year than did those in the lower-consumption groups. The extra gain was small but significant, Taveras notes, and could, if unchecked, put even an initially average-weight child at risk of becoming overweight.

To Taveras, the biggest surprise from the research is that the more often children reported eating out, the unhealthier their overall diet appeared to be. They were increasingly likely to drink whole milk, not skim, and sugar-sweetened beverages. They reported eating more red meats and processed meats (such as cold cuts and sausages) and were less likely to take daily multivitamins. Overall, the glycemic load of their diets—a measurement of how quickly the consumed foods would break down into blood sugar—was also higher than the diets of children who ate out less frequently. Consuming high-glycemic-load meals is a risk factor for several chronic diseases, including diabetes and atherosclerosis (SN: 4/8/00, p. 236).

Finally, not only did the kids who ate fried foods frequently also consume high quantities of fat, but they were also eating a lot of the unhealthiest types of fat—saturated and trans fats. This wasn't surprising since low-cost restaurants favor the use of fats and sugars to make bland foods palatable. Saturated and trans fats are far cheaper for restaurants to use than are healthier monounsaturated fats such as those in olive and canola oils (see Money Matters in Obesity).

Home cookin'
    Overall, Taveras and her colleagues conclude, these data and those from related studies suggest that frequent consumption of fried and other fast foods away from home has "pernicious effects on body weight and diet quality." Added to this is the ready availability of fatty or sweet snacks, soft drinks, and other non-nutritious, high-calorie foods at many middle and high schools. In many cafeterias, these less-than-ideal foods compete directly and aggressively for the attention, dollars, and appetites of school children, a federally funded study has shown (see School Lunches Are Struggling to Earn High Marks).

Don't look for doctors to intervene on this issue—at least not soon. A major new study has found that doctors don't routinely discuss a child's weight problems with the family (SN: 9/24/05, p. 206). Indeed, it found, the younger the child the less likely the topic will come up. Even among overweight teens over age 15—the age group that doctors were most likely to warn about weight issues—only 52 percent reported a health professional bringing up anything about their size, much less ways to trim down.

The responsibility for those issues falls to families. One strategy for parents, Taveras says, may be to encourage adolescents to eat more meals at home as part of family gatherings. Not only might this strategy contribute to slimmer, healthier teens, she says, but it also might offer parents one more chance to connect with busy adolescents—youngsters who face temptations to experiment with other risky behaviors besides eating fried food.

Look after your children brothers and sisters.
    attach_file Attached Images

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Brothers And Sisters

The Top Ten Myths of Science Education
    MYTH #1: Kids hate taking science in school these days.
    REALITY: Not! Half--50 percent--of 10-17 year olds put science... at the top or near the top of their list...of favorite subjects.

MYTH #2: Kids think that science is dull and boring.
    REALITY: Not! 42 percent of 10-17 year olds say science is the subject (they) are most curious about. Science was ranked as boring by only 14 percent of the students.

MYTH #3: Kids think science class doesn't relate to the real world.
    REALITY: Not! 94 percent of 10-17 year olds say that science isn't just in the classroom; it's part of everyday life in the world around you.

MYTH #4: Kids think learning science is mostly about memorizing facts.
    REALITY: Not! 89 percent of 10-17 year olds say science lets (them) be very creative. And 89 percent also say the best way they can learn science is to observe things and do experiments (themselves).

MYTH #5: Kids grow up believing that science is more for boys and not for girls.REALITY: Not! 89 percent of all 10-17 year olds say no to Science is more for boys than girls.

MYTH #6: Kids think science is for nerds.
    REALITY: Not! 93 percent of all 10-17 year olds say no to Science is for nerds. And, of all subjects, science ranked the coolest.
    MYTH #7: Most kids are turned off to science in school.
    REALITY: Not! When 10-17 year olds were asked for positive and negative things about science, things they like best about science won hands down (91 percent) over things they don't like about science (32 percent).

MYTH #8: Most kids don't have access to computers at home.
    REALITY: Not! 68 percent of 10-17 year olds say they have a computer in (their) home.

MYTH #9: All kids do with computers is play games.
    REALITY: Not! Of those 10-17 year olds who have and use computers, 75 percent do school work, 64 percent learn things on their own, and 41 percent get information on science topics on their computers.

MYTH #10: Minority kids don't have access to computers at home
    REALITY: Partly not! While slightly more than half of African American and Hispanic 10-17 year olds don't, 46 percent of African Americans and Hispanic kids say they have a computer in (their) home.

Allah ma3akum

chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

A few experiments will be coming your way

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Experiment number One

Dancing Raisins
    You Will Need:
    Baking soda
    Vinegar
    Raisins
    Measuring cup
    Teaspoon
    Two-liter plastic bottle
    Scissors
    What To Do:
    Cut off the top of the two-liter plastic bottle.

Pour one-and-a-half cups of water into the plastic bottle.

Add one heaping teaspoon of baking soda and stir until it is dissolved in the water.

Add four to six raisins to the water/baking soda mix in the plastic bottle.

SLOWLY add one cup of vinegar into the plastic bottle.

After a couple of minutes, what happens to the raisins?

What This Means:
    In the plastic bottle, a base (baking soda) and an acid (vinegar) react to form a gas (carbon dioxide). As the gas forms, it adheres to the raisins in the bottle. Once enough gas adheres to a raisin, it will begin to rise to the surface. When it reaches the surface the gas escapes into the air and the raisin sinks. The raisin repeats this process for several hours or until the raisin gets soggy and too heavy to rise to the surface.

chat Quote

sherbie cola's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salaams sister
    I too am in Birmingham, hope to mee ya soonzzzzzzzz.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by sherbie cola
    Salaams sister
    I too am in Birmingham, hope to mee ya soonzzzzzzzz.

Off topic!!

chat Quote

sherbie cola's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Also I will try yr experiment out, shall let u know the results.

Good corner
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by sherbie cola
    Also I will try yr experiment out, shall let u know the results.

Good corner

Good, Im luking forward to the results. Imagine raisens dancing.

Allah ma3ik

chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
Hey there! Ameeratul Layl's Science Corner Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Ameeratul Layl's Science Corner