× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 57 visibility 9423

Why aren't women allowed to drive in certain countries?

Bittersteel's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

....women in Middle Eastern countries allowed to drive?
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Sanobar's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: why aren't....

salam!
    well its not allowed for women in the middle eastern countries to drive prolly coz they wear the niqab and then its difficult to see thru it and then lots of accidents take place.......!

well i really dont knw but this is my point of view !:confused:
    ma'salamah

Please Don't Forget the Plight of Muslims in your Dua's "And Seek (Allah's) help
    with Sabr (patience) and Salat (prayers): it is indeed hard, except to those who
    are humble" (Qur'an Al-Baqara 2:45)
    chat Quote

ummAbdillah's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    ~Aisha~
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

salaam
    i think they are... why wouldn't they be allowed
    peace

وَإِن كُنتُنَّ تُرِدْنَ اللَّهَ وَرَسُولَهُ وَالدَّارَ الْآخِرَةَ فَإِنَّ اللَّهَ أَعَدَّ لِلْمُحْسِنَاتِ مِنكُنَّ أَجْرًا عَظِيمًا
    chat Quote

mehnaz's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salaam,

i think its not the whole of the middle east...i know its not allowed in the KSA but i dont have any idea why...??...*trying to find out*

FiAmanillah

IF only i were a BIRD!!..aahh..but eating caterpillars???...:enough!:
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    Muhammad's Avatar Administrator
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I think women in Saudi Arabia aren't allowed to drive. Some non-muslims wrongly think that this is a mistreatment of women taught by Islam.

It has been briefly discussed here, (where a non-muslim asked about it) and possibly elsewhere on the forum too:
    http://www.islamicboard.com/comparat...s-islam-8.html

chat Quote

mehnaz's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Why aren't women allowed to drive?

JazakAllah bro..that helped....

IF only i were a BIRD!!..aahh..but eating caterpillars???...:enough!:
    chat Quote

Halima's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Women in middle eastern countries are not allowed to drive merely because of their apparel. The apparel they wear may cause them to get into accidents therefore middle eastern women cannot drive. If you have noticed, the majority of them wear niquab and there is a thin piece of layer that is transparent that will barely allow them to have a clear vision. A second point I would like to raise is that, in the middle eatern countries, alot of the people are rich therefore they have drivers and male cheuvers that have the ability to drive them anywhere they please. So that brings up the point of why do they have to drive when they themselves can be drived?
    Last edited by Halima; 12-02-2005 at 07:13 PM.
    chat Quote

safwana's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

women in saudi r nt allowed 2 drive bt the men in saudi r free nd they take der wives children where thy want 2 go. so it is not a problem der isaw it my self when i was der last month?

chat Quote

sapphire's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Umme Umaymah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

You are allowed to drive so long as there is a reason and not just you cant bother walking...like getting to a place to teach islamic knowledge etc..otherwise...ask your husband...he'll take you where you want to go im sure....

wwwislamicboardcom - Why aren't women allowed to drive in certain countries?
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Jewel of LI
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Abrar View Post
    ....why aren't women in Middle Eastern [Saudi Arabia] countries allowed to drive?

The scholars who have gave this ruling explicitly mentioned that it was their personal opinion about their country (not religious law), and that scholars in different countries/cultures should decide what is best for their people. Read the following article:

JEDDAH, 6 June 2005 — Sheikh Abdullah ibn Munee, a member of the Council of Senior Ulema which is the Kingdom’s highest religious body, said the council had not discussed the issue of women driving in its past sessions.

“The issue was never brought up in any of our sessions,” Sheikh Ibn Munee said in an exclusive statement to Arab News. The scholar stated that those who have announced either through the Internet or in leaflets that women driving is religiously forbidden — haram — were not telling the truth.

“We never said it was haram for women to drive,” said Ibn Munee. He clarified that some members of the committee had, however, expressed their own personal views. “We do not say it is haram but we say that it is for the good of our daughters not to drive.”

Sheikh Ibn Munee did say that Saudi society was not yet ready for women to drive. Al-Madinah newspaper, however, stated that the council may discuss the issue officially at one of their sessions in two months.

Sheikh Alfowzan, another member of the Council of Senior Ulema, stated in a reply to the Shoura Council member, Mohammed Al-Zulfa, that the financial cost of bringing foreign drivers was much less than a loss of honor. The sheikh was referring to the possibility that women driving could lead to immorality and a loss of honor.

A number of female voices have raised questions reflecting their confusion about the situation. Khowla Al-Khaldi, a teacher from Jeddah, said, “If the Ulema Council were not going to discuss the issue, and the vice-chairman of the Shoura Council said that the matter was for the Ulema and the Minister of Interior, Prince Naif, said that the matter is social rather than religious, then to whom shall we look for answers?”

Manal Tashkandi said that she had been searching for years for someone to rule on the issue. “I am not keen on driving but for God’s sake, when will this hassle end?” said Tashkandi who has a British driving license.

A few women expressed satisfaction about women not being allowed to drive.

Nahla Al-Swailih, a banker in Riyadh, said that she was not interested in driving in the Kingdom although she has an international driving license. “I can never imagine myself driving in these streets which are filled with lunatics driving madly,” said Al-Swalih.

Muna Bukhari said that she agreed with Ibn Munee’s comment about society. “Unfortunately, our young men need to be taught proper behavior and respect before we women can be allowed to drive,” said Bukhari. She added that one could sense what problems women drivers would face by simply being aware of the harassment they are subjected to in malls.

Saad Al-Matrafi, Arab News

The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said:
    "Surely I was sent to perfect the qualities of righteous character" [Musnad Ahmad, Muwatta Mâlik]

Visit Ansâr Al-'Adl's personal page HERE.
    Excellent resources on Islam listed HERE.
    chat Quote

Safa's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Nahla Al-Swailih, a banker in Riyadh, said that she was not interested in driving in the Kingdom although she has an international driving license. “I can never imagine myself driving in these streets which are filled with lunatics driving madly,” said Al-Swalih.
    Its true, I wouldn't be driving all by myself there. There are some crazy drivers out there. Accidents are more likely to happen.

Muna Bukhari said that she agreed with Ibn Munee’s comment about society. “Unfortunately, our young men need to be taught proper behavior and respect before we women can be allowed to drive,” said Bukhari. She added that one could sense what problems women drivers would face by simply being aware of the harassment they are subjected to in malls.

Yup, seen that happen too. Some rich young men have nothing to do but spend all their dad's money and drive wrecklessly on the roads. I don't mean to sound biased, of course this doesn't apply to everyone, but I've lived there and I've seen people go through bad experiences. That's how society is over there and I'm okay with women not driving when they have male family members or even drivers to take them where they need to go.

'There are two blessings that many people fail to make the most of: good health and free time.' (Sahîh Bukhârî)
    chat Quote

anis_z24's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salam

Women are not allowed to drive is because the current rule. Not Islam
    chat Quote

minaz's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    rep points mean nothin
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

So that brings up the point of why do they have to drive when they themselves can be drived?
    In these certain coutries where female drivers aren't allowed, at least they should have the option to. I mean they don't all wear niqaab.
    chat Quote

sapphire's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Umme Umaymah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

round where i live most women know how to drive.....and there are lots of niqabis.......i guess it should be there choice.....and they should see what islam says about there reason as to why they want to drive...

wwwislamicboardcom - Why aren't women allowed to drive in certain countries?
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    safwana's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

i no how 2 drive nd i ear the islamic clothing? lt me tell u sumthing its amazing how much i can c. i can c everything dat icould wen i wasnt wearing it alhamdulillah.

chat Quote

Umm Yoosuf's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Al-Athariyyah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by sanobar View Post
    salam!
    well its not allowed for women in the middle eastern countries to drive prolly coz they wear the niqab and then its difficult to see thru it and then lots of accidents take place.......!

well i really dont knw but this is my point of view !:confused:
    ma'salamah

I have seen and know many sisters that wear Niqaab and drive....it's not difficult to wear Niqaab and drive...
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by minaz View Post
    I mean they don't all wear niqaab.

All women actually do wear the niqaab over there.

Islam doesn't have any restrictions against women driving. It's what the country decides. And niqaabis can be good drivers, I don't think that's a reason why they are not allowed to drive.

'There are two blessings that many people fail to make the most of: good health and free time.' (Sahîh Bukhârî)
    chat Quote

minaz's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    rep points mean nothin
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

All women actually do wear the niqaab over there.
    lol 100% of women wear the niqaab in Saudi?
    chat Quote

*charisma*'s Avatar Super Moderator
    brightness_1
    #AlwaysInMyDuas
    I am a traveler, May Jannah be my home ameen
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Assalamu Alaikum

I think that depending where you are in the Middle East would depend on whether a female is driving or not.

I dont know about any of the rules or anything like that, but from what i know it seems that women would rather walk...if you could only see the driving over there i said the shahada so many times in this one taxi cab...

on another note, not many families can afford to have 2 cars, the husband needs it for work...and usually the marketplace for women is in walking distance so really its not necessary....

i would rather walk than drive..but hey thats just me..

fi aman Allah
    w'salaam

D e a t h

is the easiest
    of all things after it
    ; ;

the hardest
    of all things before it
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

on another note, not many families can afford to have 2 cars, the husband needs it for work...and usually the marketplace for women is in walking distance so really its not necessary....
    Some actually hire drivers there. My mum did, when she had to go somewhere far.

Last edited by Safa; 12-02-2005 at 11:01 PM.

chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Hey there! Why aren't women allowed to drive in certain countries? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Why aren't women allowed to drive in certain countries?