star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Unitarian Christianity

Report bad ads?

What is the position of the Prophet Jesus (PBUH) in Unitarian Christianity, what do they view him as?
    Unitarian Christianity

"Lo! the Hour is surely coming, there is no doubt thereof; yet most of mankind believe not." (Al-Ghafir:59)
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    kadafi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Unitarian Christianity

Accordin' to Biblical Unitarianism, they see Jesus as the "son of god" who was a mortal man. They see God as One being and Jesus as a mortal man who was later conceived by the spirit and attained divinity and immortality, however, they sitll don't classifiy him as a God.

Accordin' tp Rationalist Unitarianism, they see Jesus as a wise man who taught others how to lead a righteous life.
    chat Quote

CoreIssue's Avatar Limited Member
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Just a note for clarification.

Biblical Christianity rejects Unitarians as Christian.

They are classified as Christian cult.

Theologically cult means claiming to be part of a world religion, using the books, names, terms and such of but redefining them in a way that violates the core defining meanings of being part of that religion.

Here is from the UUA site.

There are cults of Christianity as there are of Islam.

I felt there should be a Christian clarification made here to help keep this point very clear. Don't want to let the false impression this group is actually Christian to be promoted.

That was all I wanted to say.
    chat Quote

Chuck's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Amir
    What is the position of the Prophet Jesus (PBUH) in Unitarian Christianity, what do they view him as?
    "(Muhammad) Say: "O people of the Book! come to common terms as between us and you: that we worship none but Allah; that we associate no partners with Him; that we erect not from among ourselves Lords and patrons other than Allah." If then they turn back say: "Bear witness that we (at least) are Muslims (bowing to Allah's will)." (3:64)

I hope the verse helps.
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    Mohsin's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

What do Unitarians Believe

I've been thinking a lot about christian unitarians lately

What is their belief exactly?

If they believe in just one God, and so not in trinity, then do they think Jesus and Jesus alone is God

Or is he a prophet of God?
    Unitarian Christianity

Make Dua for your Brothers and the Angels will make Dua for You!

Happy moments, Praise Allah
    Difficult moments, Seek Allah
    Quiet moments, Worship Allah
    Painful moments, Trust Allah
    Every moment, Thank Allah
    If Allah brings you to it, He will bring you through it
    chat Quote

Ghazi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: What do Unitarians Believe

Salaam

Who are they???
    Unitarian Christianity

The Ummah
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Sorry i just realised this there has already been a similar thread, i should've checked. Anyways there wasn't ant reply there, so hopefully there'll be more replies here

Salaam

Who are they???
    Erm i'm not too sure exactly thats why i've opned the thread to find out what they believe. They are a christian sect ,I think they don't believe in the trinity, just in One God plain and simple. I'm not sure on where they consider the position of Jesus PBUH to be
    Unitarian Christianity

chat Quote

Ghazi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salaam

Right, I'll check the thread inshallah.
    Unitarian Christianity

The Ummah
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Hi. I'm a Unitarian. Unitarians are an old Christian sect which denies the trinity. They view Jesus as a messenger, not God. They respect the faith of all religions, and encourage questioning and research.

The majority of the Unitarian church merged with the Universalist church. They formed Unitarian Universalists. Both Unitarians and Universalist sects trace their beginnings to Christian Protestantism. However, today the Unitarian Universalist church adopts no creed, and encompasses all religions. Therefore, many "christians" now choose to label the Unitarian Universalist as occult (much like they view Mormans, Latter Day Saints, Jehovah Witnesses, etc).

My personal experience with the Unitarian faith has been only focussed on the Christian aspect, with respect to Judaism, Islam, and Humanism. Since the denomination is so liberal, each church pretty much adopts their own structure and emphasis.

Even though they state that they adopt "no creed", I would have to argue that their only creed is that God is God alone. This allows for acceptance of all other world religions.
    Last edited by renak; 03-15-2006 at 08:04 AM.
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    MinAhlilHadeeth's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

so do you believe jesus is the son of God?
    -Peace
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by ~Mu'MiNaH~ View Post
    so do you believe jesus is the son of God?
    -Peace
    I was taught that he was a messenger (prophet), like Mohammed. The term "son of God" is often taken out of context. I would have to say that most of the Christians that I know (various protestant sects) were taught that Jesus and God were separate entities. The trinity is mostly a Catholic belief. Most protestants do not understand, or fully accept the trinity. Therefore, they ignore the whole trinity issue. To the protestant sects I would have to argue that the humanity of Jesus is stressed. When someone refers to Jesus as the "son of God", they are normally meaning that Jesus was a son of God just as I am a daughter of god, or any male is a son of god. God made Jesus, he also made me, and you, etc...We are his "children".

The beliefs of Catholics and Protestants are completely opposite of one another. It's also worth mentioning that in the United States, there's more than twice as many Protestants, opposed to Catholics. I would even venture to say (and some may not agree) that Protestants in general have more in common with Islam than they do Christian Catholics. However, most Protestants do not realize this, due to lack of understanding toward Islam.
    chat Quote

E'jaazi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

When I first began to research Islam, I first started to read the Bible. I mean actually read it, as oppose to going over the verses I was familiar with. I began to read alot of the Old Testament and I remember God talking to Isaiah and calling him 'Son of Man.' I remembered that phrase from Sunday school and immediately went to the New Testament. And there it was - written over and over again. Jesus was always being refered to as the 'Son of Man.' When I asked my former Assistant Pastor about why Jesus was called the Son of Man like the other Prophets, he couldn't give me an answer. Of course research was to be done, but he never got back to me on that one.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I was taught that he was a messenger (prophet), like Mohammed.
    So do you believe Muhammed PBUH is also a prophet then, like Jesus PBUH?

The term "son of God" is often taken out of context. I would have to say that most of the Christians that I know (various protestant sects) were taught that Jesus and God were separate entities. The trinity is mostly a Catholic belief. Most protestants do not understand, or fully accept the trinity. Therefore, they ignore the whole trinity issue. To the protestant sects I would have to argue that the humanity of Jesus is stressed. When someone refers to Jesus as the "son of God", they are normally meaning that Jesus was a son of God just as I am a daughter of god, or any male is a son of god. God made Jesus, he also made me, and you, etc...We are his "children".
    I agree with you on this, so many places God calls other people son of god, and even begotten son of god, so why the exception with Jesus?
    Unitarian Christianity

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by izmi View Post
    Renak

I am interested by Unitarianism. Thank you for your excellent definition which corresponds to what I knew.

As to your definition of mainstream Christianity you make huge mistakes. Christians do not consider Jesus and God as separate entities. Jesus is an entity of (or in) God.
    The Christian God is a composed of three entities who are not Jesus and God, but Jesus, the Father and the Spirit all together being God. There is no separation between them.

If Protestants do not accept the Trinity they are not Protestants.

It is sheer nonsense to say that the beliefs of Protestants and Catholics are completely opposite. The contrary is true.
    I do not know where you are from, or the religious customs. I can only speak for myself living in the Midwestern and Southern states of the USA. I was raised Unitarian; however, most of my relatives are Baptist, Methodist, and Mormon, and I attended Christian schools. Therefore, I think I have a pretty good grasp on the differences between the Christian sects.

In regards to Protestants believing in the trinity, this may be true of some, and may even be listed as part of their dogma. However, I've yet to know (out of hundreds) one Protestant Christian who can even explain the trinity, much less state that Jesus is God. They can however state the "meaning" of the trinity as listed above. It has been my experience with fellow Christians, Christian teachers/professors, and clergy that the trinity is all together ignored. I have never heard a Protestant Christian state that Jesus is God. In whole, I think Protestant Christians do not understand the trinity or place much emphasis on it.

Catholicism is very focused on the trinity. I think you are very wrong to assert that they are very similar to Protestant Christianity. In fact, I've known very few Protestants which even accept that Catholic Christians are actually Christian. Most Protestants believe Catholics to be idol worshiping heretics. Intermarriage and/or conversion from a Protestant sect to Catholicism is largely viewed in a very negative manner. I’ve never known a Protestant preacher who felt that Catholics were not doomed to hell. We also need address the fact that the majority of "hate" groups, such as the KKK, in the USA historically (and many presently) direct their discrimination and illegal actions toward the Catholics as much as the minorities. The largest, and most represented, segment of our country is WASP (White Anglo Saxton Protestants). I do admit that the present generation is more accepting of Catholics; however, a very large percentage of these WASP's were raised anti-catholic.

Of course everything stated above is my own personal experience. There are no doubt exceptions.
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by blackjubba View Post
    When I first began to research Islam, I first started to read the Bible. I mean actually read it, as oppose to going over the verses I was familiar with. I began to read alot of the Old Testament and I remember God talking to Isaiah and calling him 'Son of Man.' I remembered that phrase from Sunday school and immediately went to the New Testament. And there it was - written over and over again. Jesus was always being refered to as the 'Son of Man.' When I asked my former Assistant Pastor about why Jesus was called the Son of Man like the other Prophets, he couldn't give me an answer. Of course research was to be done, but he never got back to me on that one.
    They never seem to get back to you when they don't have an answer. I've heard some people just say, "You have to have faith", when they can't answer your question. This however is not acceptable to me.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Hey Renak, so do you believe Muhammed Peace Be Upon Him is a prophet as well then
    Unitarian Christianity

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Moss View Post
    So do you believe Muhammed PBUH is also a prophet then, like Jesus PBUH?

I agree with you on this, so many places God calls other people son of god, and even begotten son of god, so why the exception with Jesus?

My Unitarian background taught that Muhammed was a prophet like Jesus. I guess you could say that it was taught that he was sent to the Arabic people who had not embraced the teachings of Jesus. Therefore, I always grew up thinking that it was equally acceptable to believe in Jesus, or Jesus and Muhammed, but you didn't need to believe in both. Of course the Unitarian church is quite liberal in their beliefs and many tend to teach that Hinduism, Buddism, Judaism and other religions were sent to the various nations of the world from God. Therefore, as long as a person has the belief in God, and conducts him/herself in a compassionate, respectable manner, they would make it to heaven. I guess God recognized the various cultures and sent religions to them which would be accepted???? This created a more humanistic, and less "Christian" approach in the Unitarian denomination.

In regards to why there's an exception to Jesus when referring to him as the "son of God", I honestly don't know. I always assumed that it was created when the trinity was created, but that's just my opinion.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

We believe that Jesus PBUH was sent for his time and his people, but if a messenger were to come after him, like Muhammed PBUH has come, then it is right to follow the newer message. If you believe Muhammed PBUh to be a Prophet you should follow this message, as Jesus PBUH also lived similarly to this, but there is no proof as to how he lived as the bible doesn't give specific details
    We also believe Jesus PBUh will one day return to the earth, but since Muhammed PBUH was the last messenger, he will live like any other muslim

Go here for more info on where we consider Prophet Jesus PBUH to be

http://www.whyislam.org/877/Prophet%5FJesus/
    Unitarian Christianity

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Moss View Post
    We believe that Jesus PBUH was sent for his time and his people, but if a messenger were to come after him, like Muhammed PBUH has come, then it is right to follow the newer message. If you believe Muhammed PBUh to be a Prophet you should follow this message, as Jesus PBUH also lived similarly to this, but there is no proof as to how he lived as the bible doesn't give specific details
    We also believe Jesus PBUh will one day return to the earth, but since Muhammed PBUH was the last messenger, he will live like any other muslim

Go here for more info on where we consider Prophet Jesus PBUH to be

http://www.whyislam.org/877/Prophet%5FJesus/
    The link was fascinating. Other than the crucifixion, the Islamic account of the return of Jesus is very similar to the Christian belief. I did not know that Islam believed that Jesus would return.

I admit that I understand how one would question the crucifixion. By reading the New Testament, I think one can even argue that a crucifixion did not take place (as it is portrayed by most Christians). This of course would be very offensive to most Christians. I personally don't know what I believe in regards to the crucifixion. This gives me something to research this week. lol

I think the greatest difficulty I have with embracing Islam is the fact that I would have to recognize that the other great religions of the world were invalid. It is hard for me to accept that God would create children, and place them in regions where they would never hear of Jesus or Muhammed. If these people were never exposed to Islam would they be condemed to hell?
    Last edited by renak; 03-15-2006 at 11:50 AM.
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by renak View Post
    The link was fascinating. Other than the crucifixion, the Islamic account of the return of Jesus is very similar to the Christian belief. I did not know that Islam believed that Jesus would return.

I admit that I understand how one would question the crucifixion. By reading the New Testament, I think one can even argue that a crucifixion did not take place (as it is portrayed by most Christians). This of course would be very offensive to most Christians. I personally don't know what I believe in regards to the crucifixion. This gives me something to research this week. lol

I think the greatest difficulty I have with embracing Islam is the fact that I would have to recognize that the other great religions of the world were invalid. It is hard for me to accept that God would create children, and place them in regions where they would never hear of Jesus or Muhammed. If these people were never exposed to Islam would they be condemed to hell?

No not at all, of course they wouldn't. I asked a similar question before, please visit this site here Mother Teresa- Heaven or Hell?

We do accept other religions, we believe most religions were at one time Islam. for example Christianity and Judaism, the Prophets Moses and Jesus PBUT, they were sent by the same God of Muhammed PBUH, so they were messengers of islam and they were Muslims. So were their early followers, they were muslims, that is they submitted their will to God according to the way god wanted. Unfortunately people after the early followers of these religions changed the message and it was no longer islam, since it was no longer God's will, but the will of men, so man made religions such as Christianty and judaism started, even though nowhere does moses say 'I'm a jew and i've come to estabilish Judaism', or similarly Jesus PBUH doesn't say He's a christian who's come to estabilish Christianity, both these terms came later.
    Even with other religions around today, Hinduism, and Buddhism, there is a possibility these religions were originally islam but people distorted the message, as prophecies of prophet Muhammed PBUH can be found in them suggesting they bwere originally messengers of God. we believe God has sent a messenger to every nation, and in total 124 000 mesengers have been sent

Also your question as to why God would put someone in to a different religion is he is simply testing us, to see if we will search for the truth, to use our logic and see what is right and wrong, and upon finding the true path we have to act upon it. Of course if we never heard the message then thats different, please read the thread above. But if we did hear the true message and rejected it, then we have nobody to blame but ourself

Regarding the crucifxion, we believe it wasn't jesus PBUH, and i agree the circumstances of the crucifixion aren't clear, so we're not sure what exactly happned. But the only thing we know for sure is what is said in the Qur'an, and we believe it is undisputadly the word of God, and in it Allah has told us that Jesus' likeness was put into someone else, and that person was crucified. also its interesting to see the person getting crucified says on the cross, "My god why have you forsaken me" Just using my own logic i can clearly see a prophet as great as Jesus PBUH would never say such a thing to his Lord who has sent him, and even worse for christians, how can a son say that to his apparent father?
    Unitarian Christianity

chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Hey there! Unitarian Christianity Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Unitarian Christianity