Two of the nine men arrested during anti-terrorism raids in Birmingham last Wednesday have been released without charge by police.
The two said in a statement after their release that there had been no mention of an alleged kidnap plot.
Sources had told the BBC police were investigating an alleged plot to kidnap and murder a British Muslim soldier.
Earlier, police were granted an extra 72 hours to question the other seven men arrested.
The two men were released from Coventry's Chace Avenue police station in the early hours of Wednesday morning.
Not a word was ever mentioned to either of them about a plot to kidnap or the grisly suggestion of a beheading or even of a soldier at all.
Their solicitor, Gareth Peirce, said: "They have left the police station without any better understanding of why they were there than when they first arrived seven days ago.
"Not a word was ever mentioned to either of them about a plot to kidnap or the grisly suggestion of a beheading or even of a soldier at all."
Both the men had been met with a "consistent refusal" of an explanation for their arrest, Ms Peirce added.
The pair had urged a swift release for the other seven men, she added.
The remaining men are being held on suspicion of the commission, instigation or preparation of acts of terrorism.
A heavily-guarded police convoy arrived for Tuesday's hearing at Coventry Magistrates' Court.
Terror suspects can be held for up to 28 days without charge - but only if police can persuade a judge they need more time.
Police investigating the alleged plot said on Monday they had finished searching 18 addresses.
Forensic teams searched addresses in the Sparkhill, Alum Rock, Kingstanding and Edgbaston areas of Birmingham.