/* */

PDA

View Full Version : is it a must to keep a islamic name??need answers inshalah!!

Helena
01-08-2006, 08:46 PM
:sl:

am not really confuse:? , but im unclear on this topic!! Does it make sense man im cnfusing everybody!!

Well da problem iz, as u can see my name is Helena, which is british!! But im not a revert to islam! Alhamdulilah am born as a muslim!! Well im bengali!

anyone can solve my matter inshalah?????:giggling:

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Snowflake
01-08-2006, 09:04 PM
I used to listen to a scholar online and according to him, it was OK to have any name as long as the meaning was good. I'll try to get some references from him inshaAllah.

Muhammad
01-08-2006, 09:11 PM
:sl:

Question :

Upon becoming muslim, how important is it to change your name?and what is the differance between an arabic name and a muslim name?.
Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

Names carry meanings, and every person will be influenced by (the meaning of) his name, in most cases. Man is required to call himself – or his children – by good names with good meanings, so that they will be influenced positively by their names.

Islam came to the Arabs and the non-Arabs, and it is not essential for a new Muslim to take an Arabic name, rather what is required is that he should not have a name that is ugly or carries a meaning that goes against Islam. Many Persians and Byzantines embraced Islam and kept their names, and did not change them. Indeed many of the Prophets had names that were not Arabic because they were not Arabs.

Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked: Does a person who becomes Muslim have to change his name like George or Joseph etc?
He replied:

He does not have to change his name unless it is a name that reflects servitude to someone or something other than Allaah, but it is good to change his name to something better. So if he changes his name from a foreign name to an Islamic name, that is good, but as to whether it is obligatory, no it is not.

But if his name was ‘Abd al-Maseeh [= “slave of the Messiah”, a name common among Arab Christians; a similar name in English cultures would be “Christopher” -- Translator] or something of that nature, then he should change it, but if the name does not imply servitude to anything or anyone other than Allaah, such as George and Paul, etc., then he does not have to change it, because these names are shared by Christians and others. And Allaah is the Source of strength.

Fataawa Islamiyyah, 4/404.

See also the answer to Question no. 14622.

Takumi
01-08-2006, 09:20 PM
what's in a name?

We have tons of muhammads and ahmads who commit zina, drink and tons of aishah and khadijah who are also prostitutes.

Your name reminds me of the british actress Helena Bonham Carter.

Keep it and practice Islam as much as you can.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Nawal89
01-08-2006, 09:57 PM
No, to the best of my knowledge, you dont have to have an arabic name. It's good to have a name with a good meaning. If your name has a bad meaning, then of course, it's best to change it.
Allahu A'lam.

Andaraawus
01-08-2006, 10:09 PM
As-Asalamu alaykum

Adam alay his salam was asked to name the name of every creation and that was before shaytan became a kafir.

and besides when did names convert to Islam? no really we have to think about this because Bilal isnt an Arabic name neither is Ibraheem or Ismael , in Arabic Grammar they are counted as Ism ghayr munsarif , they cant receive a tanween or be in a genative (majroor) state but becuase they were Muslim and Muslims beleieve all the Prophets were muslim therefore it is considered as a Muslim name. i too belive your a Muslim so therfore i consider it a muslim name .

The Prophet peace be upon him only changed peoples names when they had been given degrading names ... the Prophet peace be upon him did say that the best names are those with hmd as their root mahmood muhammad hamid ahmed and so forth.

i feel for somebody to pick at a innocent name that has no negative meaning is petty, if it was you birth name and you were born on fitra .therefore muslim muslim muslim ...

plus we believe that the sun moon and stars are muslim, why? because they serve their purpose! doesnt your name serve its purpose? againMuslim.....

we could go on ...wasalams

Andaraawus
01-09-2006, 12:33 AM
Sorry i didnt make myself clear did i .

Adam was asked to name s the names of al things before shaytan became a kafir and he was the first of the kafireen, i wouldnt advice any body to call their selfs shayatan iblis ...

And i was saying that Ismael and Ibraheem are counted as non Arabic names and that is why they are considered ism ghayr munasrif in the rules of Arabic grammar ....

wasalams

Umm-Yasmin*
01-09-2006, 11:12 PM
As-Salaamu Alaikum,
I am a revert sister and was told by a very knowledgale person that you don't need to change your name as long as it has no bad meaning so if you are happy with your name you can keep it. I hope this helps InshaAllah
Wa Salaam.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.