PDA

View Full Version : Teenager arrested in suicide hijacking plot



Moon*Light
02-05-2008, 07:29 PM
Teenager arrested in suicide hijacking plot


(CNN) -- Authorities have charged a teenage boy who said he planned to hijack a commercial jetliner in an attempt to commit suicide, an FBI spokesman told CNN late Thursday.

The 16-year-old was taken into custody by airport police without incident on Tuesday evening after flying from Los Angeles, California, to Nashville, Tennessee, on Southwest Airlines Flight 284.

"His stated intent was to hijack the airplane and commit suicide," said George Bolds, an FBI spokesman in Memphis, Tennessee. "He did indicate he intended to die in Louisiana. It appears he had a ticket to Louisiana."

Bolds said the boy indicated he had lived in Louisiana.

The teen wanted to crash the plane into a Hannah Montana concert in Lafayette, Louisiana, two CNN television affiliates in Nashville, WSMV and WTVF, reported, citing unnamed sources. The concert is scheduled for Friday night at the Lafayette Cajundome.

Bolds said he had no information on whether the concert may have been targeted as part of the plot.

In the teen's possession were handcuffs, duct tape and a type of rope or yarn, according to the FBI. Authorities noted that those are not prohibited items. "His plan contemplated overpowering the flight crew," Bolds said.

The teen is being held on unspecified state charges and could face federal charges as well, Bolds said. CNN affiliate WTVF reported the teen has been charged with felony terrorism and is being held at the Davidson County juvenile detention center.

"It is my understanding that at no point in time during the course of the flight there was ever any safety concern," Southwest Airlines spokesman Chris Mainz said. Bolds also said nothing threatening occurred on the flight from California to Nashville.

It was not immediately clear how police became aware of the teen's presence on the flight or his alleged suicide plans.

"Hannah Montana" is a hit Disney Channel show -- which stars 15-year-old Miley Cyrus and her country singer dad, Billy Ray Cyrus -- about a teenage girl who is a typical high-schooler by day but has a secret pop-star alter ego by night



Had his plan worked he would have killed many more than 3 thousand innocent people

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/25/flight.incident/
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
truemuslim
02-06-2008, 02:53 PM
i kno hannah montana... so he was planning on crashin into her concert?! HAHAHA LOL!


i meant.. um wat a shame... tsk tsk...
Reply

Cognescenti
02-06-2008, 03:21 PM
Had his plan worked he would have killed many more than 3 thousand innocent people


3000, Hmmm...I suspect this is supposed to represent a parallel to you know what.

Clearly, it is the fault of the Disney Chanel and their many calls for violence.
Reply

truemuslim
02-06-2008, 03:26 PM
Disney Chanel and their many calls for violence
HAH! lol like what?
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
MTAFFI
02-06-2008, 03:28 PM
give him his wish and execute him (if this is all true).... How do they know his intent? Did he admit to all this?
Reply

Cabdullahi
02-06-2008, 03:29 PM
YO this is some bulls**T
Reply

Moon*Light
02-06-2008, 03:32 PM
:sl:

A question was asked about this, what if the teen was a Muslim or an Arab what would have happened?
Reply

truemuslim
02-06-2008, 03:33 PM
^ NOOOOO then life really wud be a livin HEEEELLLLLL... lol seriously that wud suck so bad
Reply

krypton6
02-06-2008, 03:33 PM
Were it a muslim or arab, this would have have bin aired on every single western channel
Reply

truemuslim
02-06-2008, 03:34 PM
oh also to answer ur question in MY opinion ... if he was arab or muslim they wudnt just charge him...EXECUTION of course...
Reply

crayon
02-06-2008, 03:49 PM
This dude is stupid.
Overpowering a whole airplane full of people with handcuffs, duct tape, and a rope?
Somebody's been watching a bit too many action movies.
Reply

truemuslim
02-06-2008, 03:54 PM
^ lol yeah
Reply

Cognescenti
02-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by Moon*Light
:sl:

A question was asked about this, what if the teen was a Muslim or an Arab what would have happened?
"A question was asked"....no need for the passive voice...just come out and say it. That, is, after all, the whole reason you posted this, is it not?


Here is the answer. It is all about motivation and the credibility of the threat. There is nothing here to suggest anything other than a mixed-up, probably suicidal teen. Had this been a Muslim teen with outside help, political or religious motivation and a credible plan then it would have been a big story.

Would you guys give up already on the frankly juvenile media Muslim-bashing thing?

BTW...the teen is not identified. How do you know he wasn't Muslim? Aren't you "rushing to judgement"?
Reply

IbnAbdulHakim
02-06-2008, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by crayon
Somebody's been watching a bit too many action movies.
not really, i think his been sniffing too much glue

had he been watching action movies he woulda been clever enough to at least have a sock bomb or wear a belt he could use as a weopen.
Reply

Moon*Light
02-06-2008, 04:08 PM
Well cognescenti I don't have the habit of asking my questions in a passive voice but since it was not my question but a member on another forum I asked it as such.

But isn't it normal these days to bash Muslims? If there was no Muslim involved then it would not be news. The news above was not important enough for many because it was just another unhappy teen to them.
Reply

crayon
02-06-2008, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
not really, i think his been sniffing too much glue

had he been watching action movies he woulda been clever enough to at least have a sock bomb or wear a belt he could use as a weopen.
Yeah, well like I said, he doesn't seem to be the brightest crayon in the box...
:giggling:
Reply

MTAFFI
02-06-2008, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by Moon*Light
Well cognescenti I don't have the habit of asking my questions in a passive voice but since it was not my question but a member on another forum I asked it as such.

But isn't it normal these days to bash Muslims? If there was no Muslim involved then it would not be news. The news above was not important enough for many because it was just another unhappy teen to them.
Moon*Light
welcome to this forum

If the same were to happen in a middle eastern country, say Iraq, with a group of soldiers (american) accidentally killing a bunch of innocent civilians, rather than say, a suicide bomber in a market place, is it not bigger news? Is it not exploited by the Arab community as yet another example of American incompetence, or lack of understanding and cooperation with locals and their culture? Fact is, the US is at war with a group that justifies their political agenda with their purposed religion, they also happen to be Arab 99% of the time, thus if an Arab youth were to board a plane and try to crash and kill 3000 parents and children in the name of Islam, yes it would be bigger news because of the present day affairs. Does that not make sense?

It does not help the ummah to complain about negative publicity, because if there was not negative, there couldnt be negative publicity. IMHO, the best way to get rid of this publicity is to attempt to educate those who inquire and give up on complaining, because no one who has the power to change the news is listening, thus a complaint about it is a waste of time and brain power.
Reply

Moon*Light
02-06-2008, 04:29 PM
:sl:

If you watch the news in the Middle East you will realize it has moved from complaining to it is a normal thing to view death everyday.

Second, I was not complaining rather making an observation, being a Muslim these days does single you out, if that teen was a muslim and even if he did it just because he was depressed and no politics involved the issue would have been news.

We have to realize that the media is used as a propaganda tool these days.
Reply

Moon*Light
02-06-2008, 04:30 PM
Oh forgot, thanks for the welcome :)
Reply

MTAFFI
02-06-2008, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by Moon*Light
:sl:

If you watch the news in the Middle East you will realize it has moved from complaining to it is a normal thing to view death everyday.

Second, I was not complaining rather making an observation, being a Muslim these days does single you out, if that teen was a muslim and even if he did it just because he was depressed and no politics involved the issue would have been news.

We have to realize that the media is used as a propaganda tool these days.
my apologies for wrongfully accusing you of complaining :okay:

so you are saying the news of the US military admitting to mistakenly killing those civilians the other day was not news? Not bigger news than the regular view of death everyday as you stated?

Can you provide evidence that this boy was not of Arab descent or Muslim? You are speculating... The media is no doubt propoganda, the media of every country in the world is propoganda, different media outlets provide different propoganda, but where is the line drawn between propoganda and the views of an individual, or a government or a news agency? The are many sources for news, they do not all demonize Islam and Muslims, some do but not all, and anyone who has half a brain and has done any research on Islam, would know that those who commit such crimes are not acting according to their religion anyways, and those who dont know should be informed...

Salam
Reply

MTAFFI
02-06-2008, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by Moon*Light
Oh forgot, thanks for the welcome :)
you are welcome :)
Reply

MaiCarInMtl
02-06-2008, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by crayon
Overpowering a whole airplane full of people with handcuffs, duct tape, and a rope?
Actually, the article said it may even be yarn! I hope it's acrylic because it doesn't stretch too much and tends to last longer... natural fibers stretch more and may be weaker - wouldn't want the hostages loosening their bonds or anything! (sorry, I knit so I just couldn't resist giving a short lesson).

Obviously, this kid isn't too bright!

PS Billy Ray Cyrus has a daughter? Does he still have that giant mullet?
Reply

Moon*Light
02-07-2008, 08:21 PM
:sl:

Unfortunately, it is not news because nothing is done about it. So they admitted and then it happens again and again.

I think if he was they would mention it. So you don’t feel at all that Western media covers issues that has to do with a Muslim committing violence (whether you agree with the act or not) more than other news?

Lets take the Palestinian Dimona bombing and its coverage and then the coverage of Palestinians dying every day, which is focused on more?
Reply

MTAFFI
02-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by Moon*Light
:sl:

Unfortunately, it is not news because nothing is done about it. So they admitted and then it happens again and again.

I think if he was they would mention it. So you don’t feel at all that Western media covers issues that has to do with a Muslim committing violence (whether you agree with the act or not) more than other news?

Lets take the Palestinian Dimona bombing and its coverage and then the coverage of Palestinians dying every day, which is focused on more?
As I said, it is undeniable that all news and information is biased in one way or another. It is apparent that US media does cover supposed "terrorist" activity with a harsher and more condemning tone than it does other violent or malicious activity. My point is simply that there are more news outlets than just american ones... BBC is a good example, al-jazzera, I happen to like the drudge report, even though it is rather conservative in nature. It offers many different news sites, including myway, abc, bbc, cnn, and so on.

Do you not feel as though Arab media does the same, and chinese and russian and iranian? All information is essentially the view point of an individual or a collection of individuals, that viewpoint is derived from what we percieve as "fact", any variation of the "fact" is then an "opinion". Fact is Muslims commit crimes, fact is Muslims are on the international stage, fact is they are on that stage because of a group of radicals who claim the Muslim religion to be their "guiding light" if you will, thus making anyone who practices this religion a suspect to those who are ignorant of it. Bottom line, portray yourself and your religion with respect and dignity, and make your attempt to derail the media perception.
Reply

MaiCarInMtl
02-08-2008, 03:23 PM
People have to remember that, above all, the media is a business. The media is supported by advertisers and people with lots of money so of course it will be biased. The media will change coverage (i.e. zero-in on certain issues) simply to attract more business or to please their main demographic. It wouldn't survive if it wasn't as everyone has an opinion and an agenda and people will not support outlets that do not agree with them. It's sad but true.

So whatever country you may be in, it's best to not believe that everything is 100% truthful - there are often not 2 but 3 sides to every story (if not more!!).

PS if anyoen has any news sources that they like to refer to in order to get varying opinions, I would very much like you to share them. I currently go to the CBC (canadian network) news site as well as BBC, Associated Press and Al-Jazeera.
Reply

MTAFFI
02-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by MaiCarInMtl
People have to remember that, above all, the media is a business. The media is supported by advertisers and people with lots of money so of course it will be biased. The media will change coverage (i.e. zero-in on certain issues) simply to attract more business or to please their main demographic. It wouldn't survive if it wasn't as everyone has an opinion and an agenda and people will not support outlets that do not agree with them. It's sad but true.

So whatever country you may be in, it's best to not believe that everything is 100% truthful - there are often not 2 but 3 sides to every story (if not more!!).

PS if anyoen has any news sources that they like to refer to in order to get varying opinions, I would very much like you to share them. I currently go to the CBC (canadian network) news site as well as BBC, Associated Press and Al-Jazeera.
the drudge report quotes from many different sites, I like it, there is also a huge list of other sites like it on there

What you said though is my point, not that any side is a lie or incorrect, just that it is viewed differently from that side, ultimately the end user (the readers) are also bias and that will determine where we go for our news. My objective is to get the news from many different sources and use what I get from each viewpoint to form my own opinion.
Reply

Moon*Light
02-08-2008, 07:35 PM
:sl:

Bro MTAFFI, I agree and we should not only try to change the bad perception of Muslims by acting according to what Islam has taught us but also when we see wrong done whether by Western media or Arab media, etc. we should point it out.
Reply

MTAFFI
02-08-2008, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by Moon*Light
:sl:

Bro MTAFFI, I agree and we should not only try to change the bad perception of Muslims by acting according to what Islam has taught us but also when we see wrong done whether by Western media or Arab media, etc. we should point it out.
agreed! :)

isnt dialogue great? :thumbs_up
Reply

Moon*Light
02-08-2008, 08:18 PM
Haha :D yes constructive dialogue is great.
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-06-2014, 08:15 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-04-2012, 10:14 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-21-2011, 06:28 PM
  4. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 06-05-2007, 04:25 PM
  5. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-13-2006, 01:56 AM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!