/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Malaysia: General Election 2008

north_malaysian
02-13-2008, 02:27 PM
Parliament dissolved, elections on

PUTRAJAYA: Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi has announced that Parliament has been dissolved, paving the way for the 12th general election.

At a hastily convened press conference at his office Wednesday afternoon, he said he had met the Yang Di Pertuan Agong in the morning and received His Majesty's consent to dissolve Parliament.

"I've informed Parliament and the Election Commission," Abdullah said. The state assemblies have also been advised to dissolve.
The Prime Minister declined to speculate on what date Malaysians would cast their ballots, saying that it would be up to the Election Commission (EC) to decide.

"I am confident of winning, and I hope that we will retain our two-thirds majority," he said.

The ruling Barisan Nasional coalition swept to a landslide victory in the last general election in 2004.

Meanwhile, the Election Commission said it would announce polling and nomination day on Thursday at its office in Putrajaya.

The Election Commission held several meetings Wednesday in preparation for the Prime Minister's announcement of the dissolution of Parliament.

“We have got the declaration on the dissolution of Parliament by the Yang Di Pertuan Agong and the announcement of nomination and polling will be done tomorrow," said EC chairman Tan Sri Abdul Rashid Abdul Rahman.

When asked if nomination day was February 21 and election day on March 2nd, he said: “You can speculate anything you want. The official announcement is tomorrow.

“You wait for the official announcement,” he added.
Abdul Rashid also said, "We want to make sure of fairness in this election process. We will ensure the appropriate time and space is given for the parties to choose their candidates and for campaigning."

Election rules
The general election must be held within 60 days of Parliament being dissolved, in accordance with Article 55(4) of the Federal Constitution.
Once Dewan Rakyat is dissolved, the tenure of all MPs automatically ends, which also means that they stop enjoying the privileges, perks, and powers related to their function.

Until the next Parliament is convened, the country is run by a caretaker government.
The caretaker government's role is to keep the government machinery running, and should not involve making policy changes or formulating new legislation.

Source: http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp...834&sec=nation

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Roasted Cashew
02-13-2008, 02:46 PM
Are you Malay? Who would you be voting for? Since I am a Pakistani living in Malaysia with no PR or Citizenship none of my family nor I can vote. hehe. A lot of my Indian friends are saying that this time around the Indians will not go for Sammy Vellu/MIC instead opt for other options like DAP, etc. This Hindraf stuff was really disgraceful though. I also heard that Anwar is working hard. Is he eligible now?

north_malaysian
02-13-2008, 03:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by hmmm5
Are you Malay? Who would you be voting for? Since I am a Pakistani living in Malaysia with no PR or Citizenship none of my family nor I can vote. hehe. A lot of my Indian friends are saying that this time around the Indians will not go for Sammy Vellu/MIC instead opt for other options like DAP, etc. This Hindraf stuff was really disgraceful though. I also heard that Anwar is working hard. Is he eligible now?
I am a Malaysian Muslim.

I'll vote whosoever against the current govt.

As you could observe nowadays lots of scandals involving "important people" came out right? eg. our ex Minister of Health sex DVD...

More to come... I've heard rumours about a Minister's homosexual dvd will come out...+o(

north_malaysian
02-13-2008, 03:03 PM
and about Anwar Ibrahim.... he could only contest if the election to be held on April. Which I dont think the current PM would let him contest.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
north_malaysian
02-13-2008, 03:12 PM
Bread and butter matters

By ZULKIFLI ABD RAHMAN and FLORENCE A. SAMY

PETALING JAYA: The cost of living, social issues, the crime rate and illegal immigrants - these are the issues that matter most to Malaysian voters, according to a survey conducted ahead of the general election.

These bread and butter issues are the prime concern of voters now.
Even hot issues like politics ranked lower than economic factors and crime.
The survey revealed that 96% of respondents were concerned with the current economic situation such as the rising cost of consumer goods, while 88% said they were worried about the incidents of crime in the country.

Dr Syed Arabi: 'Certainly the Government is not passive about these issues'

The opinion poll was commissioned by The Star and carried out by the International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM). It involved 2,930 respondents and was conducted in 58 clusters in 12 states in the peninsula from Dec 8 to Dec 29 last year. The survey has a margin of error of less than 4%.

“Economic issues were considered important to Malaysians,” said the IIUM Dean of the Communications Department Prof Datuk Dr Syed Arabi Idid, who headed the survey.

“People are concerned over the rising prices of basic necessities and the high cost of living, especially with the looming global oil prices.

“Crime is also a worry to them,” he said yesterday.
However, Dr Syed Arabi said the Government did respond to these concerns.

He cited the National Price Council as one of the measures taken to tackle the rising prices of consumer items and cost of living. Under the price council, the Government announced recently that a national stockpile of essential goods like rice and cooking oil would be created to ensure that prices and supply remained stable at all times.

The price council, headed by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, will monitor, advise and oversee the government's price policy, competitive market structures and the efficiency of subsidy schemes.
The price council is also aimed at preventing unfair and collusive trade practices affecting supply and prices of essential goods and services, and eventually softening the impact of rising prices on the cost of living.

“The prime minister himself has gone to the ground to initiate measures to beef up security, such as rehiring capable retired police officers,” said Dr Syed Arabi.

Abdullah, who is also the Internal Security Minister, announced recently that there would be a police station at every corner, and more than 3,000 more patrol cars and 4,000 motorcycles would be deployed to combat crime.
He also said that 60,000 police personnel would be recruited, while the police department would rent shoplots to set up the police stations.

A total of 1,756 respondents were aged between 21 and 35, 1,181 respondents polled were in the 36-50 age group, and 719 respondents were those above 51 years old.

The third main concern of the respondents was the influx of foreigners into the country, with 40% regarding it as a problem.

This was followed by other concerns on politics, unity, the environment, internal and external threats, road traffic problems and leadership.
Prof Dr Syed Arabi said 2% of respondents expressed concern over internal and external threats and considered the rising number of vehicles as a bane, while only 1% said leaders must be proven to be capable.

Source: http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp...298&sec=nation

north_malaysian
02-13-2008, 03:41 PM
Dissolution of parliament: Opposition not caught off-guard - PAS Youth chief

KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 13 (ES) - Despite Former Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Badawi's coy move to announce dissolution of parliament today after denying such a possibility yesterday, the opposition fraternity however was not caught off-guard.

Islamic Party of Malaysia (PAS) youth chief Salahudin Ayub said the leadership of the opposition party and its ally People’s Justice Party (KeADILan) had been preparing for the eventuality since a year ago.
"We were not shocked by the announcement," Salahudin told a press conference at PAS headquarters here today after a meeting with KeADILan youth wing headed by its chief Shamsul Iskandar Mat Akin.

The meeting among others was to put on the final touches to the "Malaysian Youth Document" agreed upon by the youth wing of both parties to be used as an election material. The document will be unveiled on Feb 18.

The meeting was also held to consolidate a joint position taken by the youth wing of both parties not to boycott the election despite the many irregularities expected to be perpetrated because both wings, "do not want the people to take the law into their own hands".

At the same time, voices of displeasure to the prospect of irregular practices expected in the next general, would likely be renewed this Friday following the decision of PAS and a coalition campaigning for a free and fair election, Bersih to send two memoranda of protest to Yang diPertuan Agong the King, at 3pm this Friday.

Salahudin said protestors would be having their weekly Friday prayers at the National Mosque before submitting the memoranda on the perceived failure of the Election Commission to implement Bersih's demands as well as to the irregular increase of postal voters that number some 1,000 at a constituency in Kedah.

Bersih had made unwavering calls for the used of indelible ink, for the voter registration roll to be cleaned up from "phantom voters", for postal votes to be abolished and for fair access to the media for all parties as its short term demands.

Salahudin also said that some fifty percent of PAS candidates to be fielded in the next general election would be aged 40 and below, both from the professionals as well as the "young ulama'" from the religious education background.

He also speculated that the nomination day would be held on Feb 21, with polling day on March 1, in accordance to the widely published Abdullah’s obsession with the number “13”.

When quizzed after the press conference, Salahudin however was tightlipped on the constituency where he would be fielded.
"Let's wait for the nomination day," he said.

KeADILan youth chief to contest in Jasin
In contrast, KeADILan youth chief Shamsul Iskandar expressed his intention to contest for the parliamentary seat of Jasin in Malacca, where the current parliamentary member Datuk Mohd Said Yusuf from the ruling party was entangled in a string of controversies that earned him the nickname of "close one-eye MP".

Asked on the prospect of winning the constituency, the lawyer who will be contesting for the second time around said visits by figures such as Abdullah and former deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak to the constituency indicated the dire situation of the ruling party there.

The constituency has some 70 percent Malay voters, 20 percent Chinese voters and some 10 percent Indian voters.

Shamsul Iskandar also said that the party had prepared a list of some 35 names under the age of 30 to be candidates for the party in the next general election.

Abdullah announced the dissolution of parliament in a specially arranged press conference which was held at his office in Putrajaya today.
Abdullah who denied that parliament would be dissolved today when asked on it yesterday said he had not yet received the approval from the Yang diPertuan Agong, the King, then.

Sources said the Election Commission would be meeting tomorrow to set the date for nomination and polling days.
The election is expected to be held within 60 days of the dissolution. The announcement paved the way for a snap poll where the ruling coalition is expected to return to power in a contest widely expected to feature a one-to-one fight with the opposition.-Saadon Aksah/ES

Source: http://englishsection.com/index.php?...sk=view&id=635

north_malaysian
02-13-2008, 03:52 PM
gambar 233?displaysmall -

PREPARATION: Election Commission officers were busy preparing for the next 12th General Election at Kompleks Tun Abdul Razak (KOMTAR), Penang, yesterday. (BERITA HARIAN/13.02.2008)

Prime Minister was announcing the dissolution of the Parliament in a press conference held at Putrajaya, today (UTUSAN MALAYSIA/13.02.2008)

Amadeus85
02-13-2008, 07:15 PM
Who has the biggest chances to win? How many votes can get the religios parties?

Roasted Cashew
02-14-2008, 03:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
Who has the biggest chances to win? How many votes can get the religious parties?
The only religious party, PAS holds 1 of the 13 states. They used to hold two but they lost one to the National Front, BN in the last election which holds the rest of the states. BN consists of many sub-parties and it makes them very strong. It consists of the largest Muslim Malay Parti, UMNO; Minority Chinese party, MCA(Malaysian Chinese Association); and Minority Indian party, MIC(Malaysian Indian Congress), etc.

Yet the current protests and scandals involving the current BN party, the current election would be very interesting. Yet, I doubt PAS would gain any more states.

Muslim Knight
02-14-2008, 10:48 AM
Say No! To BN. Every vote brings more pain and suffering.

syilla
02-15-2008, 05:03 AM
lol... i guess the 'hot' things will come to islamicboard eventually...

north_malaysian
02-15-2008, 11:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
Who has the biggest chances to win? How many votes can get the religios parties?
Of course the current government would win the election... thanks to the mass media that they controlled...

If there are no cheating elements involved, PAS (the Islamic party) would win more seats in northern states like Kedah, Perlis, Kelantan and Terengganu.

The pic of the Prime Minister holding Michele Yeoh's bared shoulder is making the traditionalists and conservatives upset.

But still, most of opposition votes would come from non-Muslims especially Hindus. I've met lots of Hindus who rather vote for PAS...

north_malaysian
02-15-2008, 11:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Knight
Say No! To BN. Every vote brings more pain and suffering.
I've joined an anti-BN group in facebook which has 5,500+ members (the largest Malaysian political group in Facebook), 90% of the members are non-Malays/Muslims...

The most amazing thing is that Chinese and Indians would vote for PAS...

There might be a posibility, Penang would go to the opposition (unless BN cheated...as usual)..

I've changed my constituencies last year... PKR might be contesting for Parliament and PAS for state...

north_malaysian
02-15-2008, 11:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
lol... i guess the 'hot' things will come to islamicboard eventually...
yes it is.... :hiding:

north_malaysian
02-15-2008, 11:50 AM
Friday February 15, 2008

EC Chairman appeals to media to give equal coverage to all political parties

By V.P.SUJATA

PUTRAJAYA: Malaysians will go to the polls on March 8.
The Election Commission announced that nomination day for the 222 parliamentary and 505 state seats would be Feb 24.
A total of 10,922,139 registered voters on the 2007 master electoral roll gazetted on Feb 5 would be eligible to vote. Of this, 221,085 are postal voters.

Commission chairman Tan Sri Abdul Rashid Abdul Rahman said the number of days for campaigning would be 13 days, inclusive of nomination day.

The campaigning period is longer this time compared with the eight days in the 2004 election, he said, adding that it should be adequate for all parties to conduct their activities.

He added that the commission also took into account internal security and public order when making the decision.

“Thirteen days are more than sufficient. We have been fair; don’t ask for more,” he told a packed press conference after chairing an hour-long meeting with commission members here yesterday.

The dissolution of Parliament took place 15 months before the expiry of its five-year term to pave the way for the 12th general election.

He said the election writs to state election officers would be issued today to inform them to proceed with the conduct of the elections while notices to returning officers in each polling area would be issued tomorrow.

Abdul Rashid said 30 political parties registered with the commission would be contesting.

Stating that March 8 would be the start of a one-week school holiday, Abdul Rashid advised all registered voters to exercise their fundamental rights to cast their votes between 8am and 5pm.

“Don’t sleep on voting day. Come out and vote and be part of the political life of the country. All have full freedom to exercise their rights,” he said, admitting that people were more eager to vote this time.

He also hoped that the usual 75% voter turnout would be bettered or at least maintained this year.
He said the EC would be spending about RM200mil on the elections. There will 149,000 official appointees, mostly schoolteachers, and 50,000 casual workers.

Abdul Rashid said the commission had no power to endorse observers but that it was supportive of efforts by election watchdog group Malaysians for Free and Fair Elections (Mafrel) to continue monitoring the conduct of the general election.

He appealed to the media to give equal airtime and press coverage to all political parties.

On presentation of gifts and offers of treats during the campaign period, Abdul Rashid said based on case law such offers by candidates were an offence but only the police and Anti-Corruption Agency could act against this.

When asked about the party in power allocating funds for development projects during the campaign period, Abdul Rashid said that by convention this had been done over the years and advised those in doubt to “go to the courts”.

On whether candidates’ agents would be allowed to witness counting of postal votes, Abdul Rashid said EC officers would be monitoring and that no decision was made on the matter.

He also assured Malaysians that the polls would be conducted fairly and there should be no fear of vote-rigging and phantom voters.
Transparent plastic ballot boxes, indelible ink and ballot papers without serial numbers would be used in this election, he added

Source: http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story...nation&focus=1

north_malaysian
02-16-2008, 12:04 AM
March 8 polling day denies Anwar opportunity to contest

KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 14 (ES) - The next general election which is called more than a year early, with the dissolution of parliament in the middle of Chinese New Year celebration has prevented former deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim from contesting.

"Denying me the opportunity to contest demonstrates that the four-year track record of the Abdullah administration has been so banal, disappointing and characterized by failure that it can ill-afford to take any chances by allowing for a truly democratic electoral process," Anwar said.

In a statement e-mailed to the English Section on Feb 13, Anwar however said the announcement of the dissolution of parliament yesterday, came as "no surprise" since approval ratings for Abdullah and his government had dropped for all-times lows.

Election Commission (EC) chairman Tan Sri Abdul Rashid Abdul Rahman today announced over televised press conference that nomination day would be held on Feb 24 and polling day held on March 8.

There are some 11 million registered voters including some 221,085 postal voters.

Anwar said Malaysians were hard hit by rising prices, rampant crime, endemic corruption and heightened ethnic tensions.

"The longer that Barisan Nasional waits, the more seats it stands to lose in the General Election," he said. Abdullah himself acknowledged that his coalition stand to loose the landslide ninth-tenth majority secured in the last general election amidst allegations of election irregularities.

Rampant fraud - Anwar
Anwar also anticipated that the "spectre of rampant voter fraud" still looms large as adequate measures have yet to be implemented to prevent phantom voters and monitor other election day irregularities, including in particular the manipulation of postal votes.

"The mainstream media is strictly controlled by the government and used as an instrument to spread propaganda and mistruths about the opposition. Law enforcement officials are instructed to disrupt and harass public gatherings organized by opposition parties and civil society," he said.

Anwar who is also People's Justice Party (KeADILan) de facto leader said his party is "fully prepared" to overcome the barriers that have been imposed on the opposition by the ruling party.

"Our candidates have worked tirelessly to expose the failings of the government convey our vision of hope for a better Malaysia," he said.

"We have been ready for these elections for months. Along with our allies in the Opposition, we are ready to put Malaysia back on track, and to give Malaysians the government they rightly deserve," he said.

His party was tipped to field the most candidates from the opposition bloc, in excess of 100 parliamentary seats in comparison to ally Islamic Party of Malaysia (PAS) which is going to be featured in more than 60 parliamentary constituencies.
The rest of the seats are expected to go to the other major opposition party the Democratic Action Parties as well as regional parties in the eastern part of Malaysia, in a contest widely expected to be a one-to-one contest with the ruling coalition. There are 222 parliamentary seats up for grab this time around. -ES

Source: http://englishsection.com/index.php?...sk=view&id=644

north_malaysian
02-16-2008, 12:09 AM
Another phantom on the electoral roll

February 12th, 2008 | Posted in Notice Board | |

Print This Post

BERSIH received an email on 31 January 2007 from yet another Malaysian who has been registered without her knowledge…
This is her story:

This past Monday I went to register as a voter in my home state of Penang and was told I was aready registered. I was then told to check with the voter registration office in Komtar if there were any problems. When I went to investigate further, I was again told I am a registered voter and my registration information was printed out for me with my voting station. All the information seemed correct and when I asked when I registered to vote, I was told and even shown the computer screen that I registered on January 17, 1971. That would mean I registered to vote when I was 15 months old! The officer was very polite and helpful but didn’t seem surprised when I told her I was not even 2 years old then. This makes me wonder how “I” have been voting all these years.

* If you are a victim of fraudulent registration, please contact us as soon as possible. Email us at info@bersih.org or call us at (03) 79806571, (019) 2232002 or (012) 2192010.

Source: http://bersih.org/?p=952#more-952

north_malaysian
02-16-2008, 12:16 AM
Call to check voting status

SEREMBAN: Check your voting status at Barisan Nasional operations rooms in the state.

This is Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan's advice to voters unsure of whether they can vote in the general election. "Operations rooms will be open until midnight daily for voters to check their status." He also said the Seremban division had submitted its candidates list after the dissolution of parliament.

PKR to use 3G technology

KUALA LUMPUR: Parti Keadilan Rakyat is going high-tech for the general election. The party plans to use 3G technology to stream its ceramah videos to the public. 3G technology enables cell phone users to access television channels and the Internet on their phones.

A code is needed for 3G users to access the PKR channel. It will be printed on all its banners and campaign material, said PKR information chief Tian Chua yesterday. The 3G videos to be streamed are sound bytes and highlights of party adviser Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim's speeches.

Pas to field woman rep

SEREMBAN: For the first time in the state, Pas will be fielding a woman candidate to contest the Jempol parliamentary seat.

Pas Jempol committee member Siti Mariam Naam, who is from Kampung Keru in Ulu Jempol, is 65 and has been a party member since 1980. "I was asked to contest and I agreed. I will do my best and leave the rest to God," she said. Siti is married to former armed forces personnel Hamzah Sulaiman, 69. They have three children.

Source: http://www.emedia.com.my/detailnews....d=1217&cid=N01

north_malaysian
02-16-2008, 01:10 AM
POLITICAL PARTIES IN MALAYSIA

BARISAN NASIONAL (NATIONAL FRONT - BN)

A political coalition of several political parties. Has been ruling Malaysia since independence.

Ideology: Nationalism
Seats obtained (2004 Election): 198 out of 219
% of votes (2004 Election): 4,420,452 (63.9%)

Component Political Parties under BN

United Malay National Organisation (UMNO)

Ideology: Nationalism, Pro-Malay Special Rights
Seats obtained (2004 Election): 109 out of 219
% of votes: 2,483,249 (35.9%)

Malaysian Chinese Association (MCA)

Ideology: Nationalism, Pro-Ethnic Chinese
Seats obtained (2004 Election): 31 out of 219
% of votes: 1,074,230 (15.5%)

Malaysian Indian Congress (MIC)

Ideology: Nationalism, Pro-Ethnic Indian
Seats obtained (2004 Election): 9 out of 219
% of votes (2004 Election): 221,546 (3.2%)

Malaysian People's Movement Party (Gerakan)

Ideology: Nationalism, Liberal, Multiracial
Seats obtained (2004 Election): 10 out of 219
% of votes (2004 Election): 257,763 (3.7%)

United Traditional Bumiputera Party (PBB)

Ideology: Nationalism, Pro-Indigenous People of Sarawak (Malay, Iban, Melanau, Bidayuh and Orang Ulu)
Seats obtained (2004 Election): 11 out of 219
% of votes (2004 Election): 383,664 (5.5%)

Sarawak United People's Party (SUPP)

Ideology: Nationalism, Pro-Ethnic Chinese of Sarawak
Seats obtained (2004 Election): 6 out of 219
% of votes (2004 Election): NA

Sarawak Democratic Progressive Party (SAPP)

Ideology: Nationalism, Pro-Indigenous People of Sarawak (Dayak)
Seats obtained (2004 Election): 4 out of 219

United Sabah Party (PBS)

Ideology: Nationalism, Pro-Indigenous People of Sabah

United Pasokmomogun Kadazandusun Murut Org (UPKO)

Ideology: Nationalism, Pro-Indigenous People of Sabah (Kadazan, Dusun, Murut)

Sabah Progressive Party (SAPP)

Ideology: Nationalism, Pro-Ethnic Chinese of Sabah
Seats obtained (2004 Election): 2 out of 219

United Sabah's People Party (PBRS)

Ideology: Nationalism, Pro-Indigenous People of Sabah
Seats obtained (2004 Election): 1 out of 219

People's Progressive Party (PPP)

Ideology: Nationalism, Multiracial

Liberal Democratic Party (LDP)

Ideology: Nationalism, Pro-Ethnic Chinese of Sabah, Liberal Democratic
Seats obtained (2004 Election): 0 out of 219

north_malaysian
02-16-2008, 01:24 AM
THE OPPOSITION

BARISAN ALTERNATIF (ALTERNATIVE FRONT - BA)

A coalition of two political parties, PAS and PKR.

Ideology: Democratic, Reformist
Seats obtained (2004 Election): 8 out of 219
Votes obtained (2004 Election): 1,668,998 (24.1%)

Islamic Party of Malaysia (PAS)

Ideology: Islamic, Democratic, Reformist
Seats obtained (2004 Election): 7 out of 219
Votes obtained (2004 Election): 1,051,480 (15.2%)

People's Justice Party (PKR)

Ideology: Centrist, Moderate, Reformist, Multiracial
Votes obtained (2004 Election): 617,518 (8.9%)

Democratic Action Party (DAP)

Ideology: Socialist, Democratic, Reformist, Multiracial
Seats obtained (2004 Election): 12 out of 219
Votes obtained (2004 Election): 687,340 (9.9%)

north_malaysian
02-16-2008, 01:25 AM
PAS to consider pact with DAP after polls

PENANG: PAS is not dismissing the possibility of forming a direct pact with the DAP.

However, such a pact would only be considered after the election results are out, said its deputy president Nasharuddin Mat Isa.
“It will be decided when it happens,” he said to pressmen after a gathering with 400 northern region PAS Supporters Club members yesterday.

PAS has 2,000 members in the club, of which more than 50% are Chinese.

PAS, an Islamist party, formed a pact with secular party DAP during the 1999 general election.

DAP blamed its dismal performance in the 1999 general election on its pact with PAS.

“So far there has been no talk with DAP in terms of politics and planning. We do not have any relationship with DAP, we only have an understanding with PKR,” said Nasharuddin.

He said PAS was trying to break the wall of disunity, which he claimed was created by the Barisan Nasional.

“The gathering today shows that people of all races can be together to attend programmes if their minds are not corrupted by the Barisan propaganda,” he said.

He said the gathering was in line with PAS’ agenda to engage people of all races regardless of their religious beliefs.

“Members of our supporters club who are non-Muslims know that we do highlight issues that are not related to Islam.

“As a political party we fight on all aspects including economy, education and social issues,” he added.

Nasharuddin also alleges that Umno was akin to a terrorist party because it uses the keris (traditional weapon) in its logo.
“PAS is not a terrorist party,” he said.

Nasharuddin announced that PAS would contest five state seats and two parliament seats in Penang.

Asked whether Mohd Hamdan Abdul Rahman would be retained to defend the Permatang Pasir seat, he said the candidate list would only be made known on Friday.
Hamdan has served two terms as state assemblyman.

Source: http://thestar.com.my/elections2008/...c=election2008

north_malaysian
02-17-2008, 03:12 AM
Angry Hindraf supporters mob Samy

By A. LETCHUMANAN and DERRICK VINESH

BUTTERWORTH: MIC president Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu was prevented by a group of people from leaving a function here.
The group, believed to be Hindu Rights Action Force supporters, surrounded his car last night and demanded for an undertaking for the release of women and children who were detained during a Hindraf rally in Kuala Lumpur yesterday morning.

They also locked the door of SJKC Chung Hwa Pusat 3 in Taman Senangin here where a Chinese New Year function was being held.

They relented after Samy Vellu said he would talk to the relevant authorities.

After 15 minutes, police came and cleared the way for Samy Vellu to leave.
It is understood that the group had been misinformed that some 100 children had been detained by police during the rally in Kuala Lumpur.
Police, however, said no children except for an 11-year-old girl were detained. The girl was later released.

J. Balamurugan, 31, one of the spokesmen for the group, said they only wanted to ensure that children were released.
Another supporter, M. Ravindran, 37, said the group did not want to hurt Samy Vellu or cause any problem.

Earlier, Samy Vellu was also jeered by a group when he was giving a speech at a meeting with Rukun Tetangga and Umno branch members at Chai Leng Park here.
After the function, he approached the people and listened to their problems.

Source: http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp...417&sec=nation

north_malaysian
02-17-2008, 03:20 AM
Arrests of two activists for a free and fair election, condemned

KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 16 (ES) - The arrest of two Bersih activists Feb 15 afternoon by the police were condemned by various quarters and sparks further concern whether the next general election would be "free" in addition to not being "fair".

Bersih steering committee member Syed Azman Syed Nawawi said the decision of the police to arrest People's Justice Party (KeADILan) information chief Tian Chua and another Bersih activist some 100 metres from the gates of the National Palace's was a "disappointment".

He charged that the police had been "rough and violent" in arresting the two while delegates of Bersih – a coalition of some 70 non-governmental organizations, political parties and trade unions campaigning for a free and fair election - was holding a press conference after they handed a memorandum to a Palace official.

Also present to hand a memorandum to the Palace's official at the same event were Islamic Party of Malaysia (PAS) leaders, including its vice president Mohamad Sabu.

Bersih memorandum highlighted the fact that the Election Commission (EC) had failed to meet short term demands made by Bersih namely for indelible ink to be used, for electoral rolls to be cleaned up from "phantom voters", for postal votes to be abolished and for fair access to the media for all parties.

PAS memorandum meanwhile highlighted about 1,031 postal voters names that were incorporated into the registration roll in the state seat of Belantek in Kedah despite the names not being displayed during verification period.
In a press conference held at the PAS headquarter here, Syed Azman called for the "unconditional" immediate release of the two arrested and warned that this development indicates the climate that the opposition parties would have to face in the next general election.

The EC had fixed Feb 24 for nomination day and March 8 for polling day.
Also present at yesterday's press conference were Tenaganita director Irene Fernandez, human rights watchdog Suara Rakyat Malaysia (Suaram) executive director Yap Swee Seng and PKR vice president Sivarasa Rasiah.

Election that is not free and fair
Fernandez who was also supposed to be part of the Bersih delegates at the National Palace expressed disbelief at what had transpired.

"What is wrong with talking to the media," she asked, postulating that the situation during campaigning period would be even more restrictive if today's development was taken as an indication.

"I'm very angry with what has happened," Fernandez who is also PKR Supreme Council member said.

Sivarasa said the fact that 30 people standing together to give a press conference was "attacked" by the police was a "vivid description of the state of democracy" in the country.

Yap said the arrest was a violation of human rights and was done as an "intimidation" to the opposition parties and ordinary citizens with dissenting voices to the ruling coalition.

"I'm concerned that this (intimidation tactic) would persist even during election campaign," he said. "If that's happened, not only we have an unfair election (as long been pointed out by Bersih) but also that it is no longer free," he said noting that some quarters had pointed out that even though the election was not fair but it is still free. Saadon Aksah/ES

Source: http://englishsection.com/index.php?...sk=view&id=646

north_malaysian
02-17-2008, 03:26 AM
Hindraf urges ethnic Indians to vote against Badawi’s political grouping

P. S. Suryanarayana

Police cite “security concerns” for banning protest rally

KUALA LUMPUR: The National Coordinator of the Hindu Rights Action Force (Hindraf), Thanenthiran Ramankutty, on Saturday asked the ethnic Indians in Malaysia to vote against the ruling coalition led by Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, that had “failed” and “insulted” them.

A mid-term general election is due on March 8; and Saturday’s police-aborted campaign was a sequel to Hindraf’s mass protest rally here last November against a half-century of “marginalisation” of the people of Indian origin since independence.

Mr. Thanenthiran, who made a surprise appearance at a temple in the heart of the city where the ethnic Indians had gathered for a protest, later told The Hindu that he was now “on the run” under police surveillance.
He said almost all of Hindraf’s provincial coordinators and national leader such as Manickavasagam and Jayathas were among 300 activists and supporters arrested on Saturday.

Five top Hindraf leaders are already under detention without trial under the Internal Security Act.

The Malaysian police on Friday banned the “roses campaign” by describing as “a security concern” Hindraf’s original plan to deploy nearly 200 children as the star contingent of a “walk” to Parliament House in Kuala Lumpur on Saturday.

These children, it was said, were being put in harm’s way in a game of testing the political will of the authorities to maintain law and order.
Another reason cited was Malaysia’s political “norm” of not allowing street protest of any kind, be it by the majority Malay-Muslims or ethnic Chinese or the people of Indian origin.

It was also stated that Hindraf, being a non-registered organisation, was not entitled to any permission for public events, more so of the protest kind.
The police-aborted “walk” to the Parliament House was planned to “test” Mr. Badawi’s attitude towards his ethnic Indian compatriots, according to Hindraf sources.

Yellow roses were selected by Hindraf to be presented to the authorities to convey its demand for a “fair deal” for the ethnic Indians. Red roses signified the colour of choice for “goodwill” towards the Prime Minister, and these were to have been carried by the children. Following the ban, Hindraf, according to its events coordinator Kannan Ramasamy decided against deploying children.

The first scene of street-side political action on Saturday was near the Parliament House. Hindraf said police chased away nearly 200 adult protesters who attempted to break the series of barricades along the routes to Parliament House.

Hindraf supporters raised aloft posters demanding the abolition of the Internal Security Act and the release of the group’s top leaders — P. Uthayakumar, V. Ganapati Rao, M. Manoharan, R. Kengadharan, and T. Vasanthakumar.

“People power [Makkal Sakthi]” slogans and chants in celebration of Hindraf rent the air throughout the standoff.

Source: http://www.hindu.com/2008/02/17/stor...1755451200.htm

north_malaysian
02-17-2008, 03:30 AM
Tuesday, November 06, 2007
PAS, Samy, Hindu Temple Demolition

I had earlier chronicled the Kampung Rimba Jaya Temple Demolition in my post Deepavali and Bulan Syawal Destruction.

PAS on Temple Demolition
Mujahid Yusof Rawa, Chairman of national unity of PAS had written a letter to Malaysiakini condemning the demolition procedures of the Hindu temple in Kampung Rimba Jaya. In fact, the PAS representative had expressed deep regret over the violent manner the issue was handled.

Surprising isn't it? I mean, this is PAS, the Islamic Party of Malaysia. The temple was of the Hindu religion. It is supposed to be no concern of theirs. Perhaps, PAS is not 100% intolerant as certain parties painted it to be. Kelantan, the state in which PAS reigns, houses Wat Photivihan, biggest reclining Buddha statue in Malaysia. There were rumours circulating that PAS even allowed a Hindu temple to be built in one of their newly obtained constituency. The Hindus were asking for permission from a previous MP of another party for years but to no avail.

Maybe it is high time that people take a deeper look at what PAS has to offer for the people. Put aside some of the negative impression. That is provided that PAS has a complete and clear blueprint on governing the nation for the people to analyse.

Samy on Temple Demolition
In the meantime, Malaysiakini posted another interesting article titled MIC retracts ban on Deepavali events. Earlier, Samy Vellu, the President of the Indian representative party, MIC, with courage not commonly seen, called for a ban on open houses during the upcoming Deepavali celebration.

If Samy Vellu had proceed with such action for the sake of the community he is supposed to represent, in my personal opinion, the Hindu gods must have been compassionate enough to bestow some Light on the greatly marginalised Indian community of Malaysia after witnessing much sadness and grief that they had over the recent event.

And I thought the Hindu gods must have been so understanding that they shone some light on the minds on MIC leaders as well, awakening them so that they will do what they are supposed to do.

Source: http://sagaladoola.blogspot.com/2007...emolition.html

north_malaysian
02-17-2008, 03:33 AM
17 February 2007

PAS Indian supporters: ‘Bridging earth and moon’

A recent article on Pas Indian Supporters Club in MalaysiaKini.Com
“Tonight, we build a bridge that stretches from earth to the moon!” thundered N Gobalakrishnan at the PAS headquarters in Kuala Lumpur.
Gobalakrishnan is the head of the newly formed PAS Indian supporters club, which was unveiled amid much fanfare and fiery speeches last night.
PAS is an Islamic-based opposition party that has always faced obstacles in winning the support of non-Muslims.

But Gobalakrishnan, who also heads the Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR) national integration bureau, believes that a new era has dawned.
In his speech, he said the formation of the Indian supporters club is another bridge between PAS and non-Muslims.
No oppression

He also said the launching of the club signaled the breaking of Barisan Nasional’s (BN) race-based politics and end to the exploitation of the Indian community here.
“PAS can provide us shelter where Umno has failed. PAS (state governments) have never been known to oppress other races,” he said.

Some 50 Indian Malaysians from Selangor, Perak and Kelantan were among the 600 people who packed the hall.
Their presence was bolstered by a small delegation of non-Muslim Chinese who had come to join as members of the PAS Chinese supporters club which was set up last year.
The club - headed by Hu Pang Chow from Kelantan - is said to have 400 members nationwide. Among them is Ng Chee Pang, the 22-year-old independent candidate who contested in the recent Batu Talam by-election in Pahang.
“PAS steady… PAS party baik (good),” said Ng when met at yesterday’s event.
Unfounded fears

Eearlier, PAS national solidarity bureau chief Mujahid Yusof Rawa during his speech said multi-racialism was enshrined in the party’s constitution when it spoke of the aim to “foster racial unity in the country.”
He said the success of the Chinese supporters’ club in improving awareness about PAS among the community was reflected in the club’s need to increase its Chinese-language monthly bulletin from 5,000 to 50,000 copies.

PAS will also publish a Tamil-language monthly bulletin to educate the Indian community about the party and its struggles. It is also planning the set-up similar clubs for the Kadazans and Ibans in east Malaysia.
PAS vice-president Mohammad Sabu had the audience in stitches when he spoke derisively of the fears that have been perpetuated by the rivals of PAS to keep non-Muslims from supporting the party.
For example, he said, many Chinese non-Muslims were told that coming under an Islamic party such will lead to the males being forced to undergo circumcision.
“What are they afraid of?” he asked, adding: “Hu (head of the Chinese supporters club) is here to testify that his condition still remains in the original state.”
Meanhwile, businessman Rajandran Batumalai from Batu Caves, Selangor, said he and his friends heard from the Indians in Kelantan about PAS’ equalitarian policies and treatment of non-Muslims.
Rajandran, a former MIC member, said many Indian youths in BN-ruled states were deprived of advancing socially and economically because of racial discrimination.

Source : http://www.malaysiakini.com/news/63514

north_malaysian
02-17-2008, 03:36 AM
Non Muslim Kelantan Chinese PAS Supporters Honored

Published by admin at 12:13 am under From Blogger

The recently concluded 53rd Muktamar of PAS @ Islamic Party of Malaysia, held in Kota Bharu , State of Kelantan had a special guest speaker addressing the 1,125 delegates from all over the nation.
The Chairman of the Chinese Community Supporters of PAS Club , Mr. Hu Pang Chaw was given the honor of speaking to the largest gathering of PAS leaders in the heart of the only Opposition run state in Malaysia.
He expressed his gratitude to PAS for giving the club members the platform to engage with the PAS leadership in matters concerning the Chinese community and for working together with them in holding various activities for the Chinese in Kelantan.

PAS through it’s Social Unity Unit has held many events such as taking part in the Moon Cake Festivities, Dinners and Dialogues with the Chinese community in Kelantan.
Picture shows the Kelantan Menteri Besar and PAS Spiritual Head, Tuan Guru Dato’ Nik Aziz Nik Mat attending a Chinese New Year celebration event.
Mr.Hu asked PAS leaders to be more proactive in reaching out to the Chinese community throughout the nation as the main media has been portraying a wrong image of PAS to the people all these while and he promised to do more on his part to share the actual situation with PAS to the Chinese in the state and throughout the nation.

Mr.Hu Pang Chaw, an ex journalist with a Chinese daily in Kota Bharu has published a local Chinese newspaper called Re Min Shi Shi which from an initial 5,000 copy print out has now increased to more than 50,000 copies daily distribution.

This goes to show Chinese in Malaysia not to just believe in all the media hype about PAS being an ultra this or that party.
PAS stands for a fair just government that gives everyone their share of progress and mutual prosperity.

The Chinese in Kelantan find doing business there much more easier because there isn’t much of a corruption problem in the state.
From the looks of things, PAS is finding support from the most unexpected sources as the GE looms around the corner.

The BN will naturally go all out to see to it that PAS doesn’t get an easy win with this new growing support coming from the Chinese and Indian Malaysians.

PAS needs to capitalize on this healthy trend by doing more for all Malaysians. Insya Allah.

Source: http://www.mahaguru58.com/2007/06/04...rters-honored/

Muslim Knight
02-17-2008, 06:19 AM
Kempen bang, jangan tak kempen!!

LOL!~

north_malaysian
02-18-2008, 03:00 AM
Lol...

SirZubair
02-18-2008, 03:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Knight
Kempen bang, jangan tak kempen!!

LOL!~
Ayam goreng!

.. or is it Goreng Ayam!

Thats as good as my Malay gets.. :coolious:

You can teach me a few more words when i meet you for lunch in KL next month.. :coolious:

Muslim Knight
02-18-2008, 06:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SirZubair
Ayam goreng!

.. or is it Goreng Ayam!

Thats as good as my Malay gets.. :coolious:

You can teach me a few more words when i meet you for lunch in KL next month.. :coolious:
Ayam Goreng ~ Fried Chicken
Goreng Ayam ~ (act of) frying chicken

But this belongs to the learn Malay language thread. Here we talk about the coming General Election in Malaysia.

Many people especially from the Opposition believes this time of the year may be the turning point where 2/3 majority enjoyed by the ruling coalition for 50 yrs is going to end.

north_malaysian
02-18-2008, 11:51 AM
I've watched "Analisis Pilihanraya" (Election Analysis) on Astro Awani at 5.30PM just now.... they interviewed a Malaysian Chinese analysist.

She said in her survey made last year, 2/3 of Chinese would vote for opposition... and after Hindraf demonstrations, many Indians would vote for oppositions...

She believes that the Chinese and Indians would swing their votes...

From her analysis, it seems that oppositions would win lots of seats in Penang, Perak, Selangor and KL.

north_malaysian
02-24-2008, 09:04 AM
Today is the nomination day for the 12th General Election.

BN won 6 parliamentary seats and 2 state seats unopposed.

PAS won 1 state seat unopposed.

Pics of the nomination day:

3penamaan&#3720calon3 -

5,000 PAS supporters in Marang, Terengganu accompanying President of PAS, Abdul Hadi Awang to the nomination centre (Harakahdaily/24.02.2008)

Abdul Hadi Awang in the nomination centre. (Harakahdaily/24.02.2008)

PAS supporters accompanying their candidates, including a Non Muslim candidate, B. Kalinavar to the nomination centre in Yan, Kedah. (Harakahdaily/24.02.2008)

PAS supporters accompanying their candidates in Ampang Jajar, Kedah. (Harakahdaily/24.02.2008)

north_malaysian
02-24-2008, 09:25 AM
Those who won unopposed:

PARLIAMENTARY SEATS
1) Abdul Ghapur Salleh (BN) - MP for Kalabakan, Sabah
2) Azalina Othman (BN) - MP for Pengerang, Johore
3) Aaron Ago Dagang (BN) - MP for Kanowit, Sarawak
4) Norah Rahman (BN) - MP for Tanjung Manis, Sarawak
5) Alexander Nanta Linggi (BN) - MP for Kapit, Sarawak
6) Joseph Entulu Belaun (BN) - MP for Selangau, Sarawak

STATE SEATS
1) Ramlee Marhaban (BN) - Bugaya, Sabah
2) Abdul Rahman Palil (BN) - Sementa, Selangor
3) Wan Ubaidah Omar (PAS) - Kijang, Kelantan

* Wan Ubaidah Omar is the deputy chief of PAS Women Branch...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.