/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Any journalism majors out there?

crayon
02-18-2008, 01:34 PM
And by "out there" I mean these forums, hah.

I'm pretty sure I want to major in journalism, I was just wondering if anyone here has done it, and could tell me what kind of courses to expect, if they're working in journalism now, etc. Basically anything to do with journalism in uni.

edit-oh, and is most journalism to do with politics, or is a big part of the journalism world unrelated to it?

Thanks in advance! :]
Jazakumu Allahu Khair.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Intisar
02-18-2008, 05:14 PM
:w: I'm doing journalism, and I'm graduating from high school this year. My mumsie wouldn't let me stay on campus all the way in Ottawa, so I had to settle for Toronto. Ryerson is really good for journalism, and so is Carelton, but Carelton is more competitive.

All they wanted from me was a 70% in ENG4U and 4 other University courses (they're not specific about it).

It depends though, are you graduating this year? Check the pre-requisites.

crayon
02-18-2008, 05:41 PM
Toronto's not bad though, there's a bunch of options to choose from, yeah? All I know about Ryerson is that it has summer photography classes which I would take this summer if they weren't so **** expensive and time consuming. :P

I'm in Canada (toronto & montreal) this summer, so I'll definitely check out different universities, just in case I end up going there. Are there any other schools that are well known for their journalism in toronto and montreal?

Also, how's your writing?, if you don't mind my asking. Like, do most people going into journalism have an amazing background when it comes to writing?

Intisar
02-18-2008, 05:45 PM
:w: I have no background in writing to be honest, but I love it. :D And, my teacher kept all my stuff from English (which I took just a semester ago) and did some stuff for me to help me with my journalism.

Don't just look at the major cities though, look everywhere, 'cause some burbs might be better suited for you as opposed to big city Toronto.

But I'm setting my sites on NYU, inshaa Allaah. :shade:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
crayon
02-18-2008, 05:57 PM
NYU? I thought you said you were settling for toronto? :P

I love writing as well, but non fiction. Which is why journalism works for me. Buuuut, I sort of pretty much despise politics, and I'm hoping journalism won't be completely focused on that.

And my rents are pretty bent on having me stay with them, so wherever we live, I go to uni. And if we ever go back to canada, it will most likely be to toronto, so that's where I'm focusing at the moment. Canada is still a pretty unlikely option though, it will most likely end up being the uae, qatar, or bahrain.

Intisar
02-18-2008, 06:06 PM
:w: I know, but I may be re-locating to the States in the next couple of months, so yeah NYU could become an option.

Journalism is great, we need more Muslim journalists to change the perception of us in the media. So if you really believe that it's your passion, then go for it inshaa Allaah.

crayon
02-18-2008, 06:14 PM
Ahh, that would be pretty amazing. New Yorkkkk!! Wow, inshallah it'll happen, sis.

Yeah inshallah, that's a great bonus of it.:)

Woodrow
02-18-2008, 06:15 PM
:sl:

Back in the stone age when I was a uni student in my undergrad years, I had clepped out on all of the English Courses, but for graduation I still had to complete 16 credits of Active writing courses so I chose the 16 credit journalism Journalism program which consisted of:

Critical Analysis: Which was a course in writing reviews of plays, books, art, and poetry.

News Reporting:This was basic writing of newspaper stories

Creative Writing
: this was the writing of fiction

Advertising Copy: this was the designing of and writing advertisements for the various media, such as newspapers, magazines and television.

The basic criteria for the program was to have either taken and passed or clepped credit for English Courses through the 400 level.

Of course that was all a long time ago and here in the USA, I don't know if any of that info is what you are looking for.

Intisar
02-18-2008, 06:20 PM
:w: Also, I recommend a course called ''Writer's Craft''. :)

crayon
02-19-2008, 11:50 AM
That's pretty much what I was looking for brother woodrow, thanks. So it's just a whole lot of different kinds of writing plus critiquing and advertising. Sounds perfect!

Is that a high school course or a uni course, sister ameenah? Because in my school, we don't get to choose which subjects we take, all we do is "english", which is almost 80% grammar, 10% literature, and 10% writing. :(

Intisar
02-19-2008, 12:17 PM
:w: It's a Grade 12 University course, and it's offered. I know what you're talking about though, English 4U is compulsory throughout High School, but this is a completely different course centered around perfecting one's writing.

snakelegs
02-21-2008, 03:04 AM
years ago i used to subscribe to this magazine, just because i find journalism interesting. you might find it useful (there are articles online)
http://www.cjr.org/index.php

crayon
02-21-2008, 11:22 AM
Oooh, lots of great stuff there, thanks snakelegs!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.