/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Do you agree with Pakistan banning YouTube.com ?

qassy!
02-25-2008, 05:53 PM
Hello Everyone,

Do you agree with Pakistan banning YouTube.com because it has the Prophet Muhammad cartoons ?

Personally I don't think Pakistan should of banned YouTube.com because of the above reason there is still alot of places where these cartoons are available.

Maybe there is another reason, that they are not disclosing. Pakistan banning YouTube.com caused a global blackout of the website, meaning YouTube.com was not accessible world wide for two hours on Sunday.

Anyway what is your opinion ?

If you think Pakistan or any other country should of banned YouTube.com for another reason please state.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ali.
02-25-2008, 06:30 PM
Ahh so that's why YouTube stopped working...

Anyway, I don't think they should ban the whole site, just because of a few videos; just avoid them.

snakelegs
02-25-2008, 06:53 PM
voted no. i am against censorship.
aside from that - in these days you can't really keep information out anyway, as was seen when pakistan shut down the local media during the "emergency".

Trumble
02-25-2008, 07:13 PM
Nobody should agree with it, in the case of Pakistan or anywhere else. This time it might be because of the cartoons. Next time it might be because someone sticks up an expose of government corruption or vote-rigging that those in charge don't want people to see.

There are two alternatives, either you let the government decide what you are, or are not, allowed to look at or you just don't visit websites that you think might "offend" you and yours. A no-brainer IMHO.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Fishman
02-25-2008, 07:44 PM
:sl:
I voted for it to be banned regardless of the cartoons. I don't really think it should be banned, that is a bit extreme, but it is generally full of dumb useless content and is way worse than Wikipedia. At least on Wikipedia there are people who check what rubbish you are putting up and get rid of it. IMHO, Youtube is just a big dump to put spammy videos.
:w:

qassy!
02-25-2008, 07:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
I voted for it to be banned regardless of the cartoons. I don't really think it should be banned, that is a bit extreme, but it is generally full of dumb useless content and is way worse than Wikipedia. At least on Wikipedia there are people who check what rubbish you are putting up and get rid of it. IMHO, Youtube is just a big dump to put spammy videos.

Why did you vote for that? Why should it ba beanned?

Fishman
02-25-2008, 07:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by qassy!
Why did you vote for that? Why should it ba beanned?
As I said, I don't really think it should be banned, which would be extreme, but the site is generally full of stupid home-made junk that tends to spread public ignorance. Rather than banning it the people who run the site should just book up their ideas.

The problem is the same as reality TV really, it tends to spread stupidity. Either the videos are just junky 'lolz!!!111one!1 a boy iz dancing to lazytown11!!!oneone!11!!', or something recorded off the TV last night and published in what is probably an illegal way, or misleading videos which make people think they are experts in politics or Religion or whatever when the video was just hate speech and propaganda. Occasionally there is some good stuff, but in my opinion it is mainly rubbish.

------
02-25-2008, 08:26 PM
:salamext:

I agree.

ahsan28
02-25-2008, 08:28 PM
A good decision :D

snakelegs
02-26-2008, 02:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
As I said, I don't really think it should be banned, which would be extreme, but the site is generally full of stupid home-made junk that tends to spread public ignorance. Rather than banning it the people who run the site should just book up their ideas.

The problem is the same as reality TV really, it tends to spread stupidity. Either the videos are just junky 'lolz!!!111one!1 a boy iz dancing to lazytown11!!!oneone!11!!', or something recorded off the TV last night and published in what is probably an illegal way, or misleading videos which make people think they are experts in politics or Religion or whatever when the video was just hate speech and propaganda. Occasionally there is some good stuff, but in my opinion it is mainly rubbish.
i think that rule applies to almost everything - movies, TV, books, music, magazines etc etc. it is up to the individual to find the gold under the piles and piles of rubbish. so there is some good stuff on youtube too - the burden of discretion lies with the individual.

Souljette
02-26-2008, 01:38 PM
ye i was expectin sumthng to cum up o this forum abt tht...manyy things i've watched nd learned were frm Youtube and ofcoruse readin books bt mannyyy things i saw in Youtube i think it is usefull..ppl who don't want to watch certain things don't watch it ..it's upto the individuals

Noora
02-26-2008, 08:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
i think that rule applies to almost everything - movies, TV, books, music, magazines etc etc. it is up to the individual to find the gold under the piles and piles of rubbish. so there is some good stuff on youtube too - the burden of discretion lies with the individual.
Exactly snakelegs..its a stupid descision.....

guyabano
02-26-2008, 08:46 PM
I also voted no. That will not solve the problem. Everyone has to choose individually, if he like to block the access to this website by configuring his Webbrowser not to display it anymore.

Peace

*Hana*
03-01-2008, 01:44 PM
I voted NO. People have to start taking responsibilities for their own actions. This, "blame it on someone/something else" is ridiculous. I swear every time I hear that I want to slap the person upside the head and knock some sense into them. :enough!:

No one is clamping your brain box to the computer and duct taping your eyes open to watch!!!! You know what's right, you know what's wrong....watch it, read it, follow it, eat it, etc., but KNOW that decision is YOURS!!! The fault, if any, lies with YOU!!.

Ok, so anyway, just my humble opinion. :embarrass

Hana

Nazia_hk
06-10-2008, 05:09 AM
I've never liked YouTube, it's great when I can watch all the nasheeds, but it just leads to other things so easily.

My personal opinion, I'm glad they are banning it.

And Hana, I agree no ones to blame others for their actions, but sometimes, I feel that such things do become the like of a sinking ship that takes you with it. See in my parents time there was literally no tv. Not in their village at least, so there was no way they could've learned all the things that our generation have come to know at a very young age. Don't know if I'm getting my point across. Of corse there always are good and bad people and a lot still happened. But at least it wasn't a majority. Now everyone's watching music videos and what not and worse, it's become a norm. I'm looking at this from an islamic point of view.

I also understand, with technology progressing so fast we can't put a ban on everything, it has to come down to self-control... but still weren't the old times better without tv?? Isn't there a lot of innocence lost at an early age??

Do correct me, I might be wrong... am just stating my opinion.

Nazia_hk
06-10-2008, 05:55 AM
Just want to correct a point I made about there being no tv in my parents village. Well my mom told me that was a house nearby that had a tv. But they weren't a norm not much people had them. And the content (when they watched, which was rare, was very decent). Anyway just wanted to correct that bit of fact.

snakelegs
06-10-2008, 06:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nazia_hk
I've never liked YouTube, it's great when I can watch all the nasheeds, but it just leads to other things so easily.

My personal opinion, I'm glad they are banning it.

And Hana, I agree no ones to blame others for their actions, but sometimes, I feel that such things do become the like of a sinking ship that takes you with it. See in my parents time there was literally no tv. Not in their village at least, so there was no way they could've learned all the things that our generation have come to know at a very young age. Don't know if I'm getting my point across. Of corse there always are good and bad people and a lot still happened. But at least it wasn't a majority. Now everyone's watching music videos and what not and worse, it's become a norm. I'm looking at this from an islamic point of view.

I also understand, with technology progressing so fast we can't put a ban on everything, it has to come down to self-control... but still weren't the old times better without tv?? Isn't there a lot of innocence lost at an early age??

Do correct me, I might be wrong... am just stating my opinion.
i believe that a person is responsible for the choices he makes - why should the government make these decisions for you? and, mainly, what is to limit a government from banning your access to information completely?. youtube can't "lead to other things" unless you want other things.
and yes, banning is useless.
all that said, i think you do have a valid point. children are subjected to huge amounts of totally inappropriate stuff now days and it is a HUGE challenge for parents to deal with. i'm glad i'm not a parent.
i didn't grow up with a tv and i never did develop a liking for it.

chacha_jalebi
06-10-2008, 10:29 AM
even though they banned it, they should then fix up the country aswell lol, also they should try to get the content which they banned it for , removed internationally then we would have a peaceful loving world :p

truemuslim
06-10-2008, 04:11 PM
If they're gna ban it... ban AOL Video, Or even better, THE WHOLE SITE, ban myspace, ban facebook, ban tv, ban ...wait might as well ban EVERYTHING on the computer,..ban the computer actually! Ban anywhere outside of your house coz people drink and do haram outside, ban telephones, coz people sometimes say bad stuff there, wait ban your radio too!

see, life CAN be easy..pshh yeh...

I mean cmon, you cant blame YOUTUBE for something like that,

i hate to break it to you...but you kno that 'search' bar on youtube? well unlike the one on LI < its NOT muslim. YOU CAN CHOOSE WHAT YOU TYPE IN! I mean. Yeh shaitan will tempt you to type something stupid, but still, YOU ARE TYPING IT, not the youtube staff.

Hey LOOK you learned something today!

no im not bein mean :) see?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.