PDA

View Full Version : Increases cancer!!-Bacon and Sausages!



------
03-31-2008, 07:55 AM
:salamext:

One sausage a day ups cancer risk

Eating just one sausage or three rashers of bacon a day can increase the risk of developing bowel cancer by a fifth, it is being claimed.

As little as 50g – less than 2oz – of processed meat contains enough cancer- causing substances called N-nitroso compounds to put regular diners in extra danger, said Prof Martin Wiseman.

Prof Wiseman, medical and scientific adviser at the charity World Cancer Research Fund, added: 'We are more sure now than ever before that eating processed meat increases your risk of bowel cancer and this is why we recommend that people avoid eating it.

'Whether you are talking about bacon, ham or pastrami, the safest amount to eat is none at all. You can make a positive difference by cutting out as much as possible.'

Processed meat is smoked, cured, salted or has preservatives added. As well as hot dogs, salami and some sausages, hamburgers and minced meat may also count if they have been preserved with salt or chemical additives, Prof Wiseman warned.

Bowel cancer is the third most common type of the disease in the UK, killing 16,000 people every year.

But there is also some evidence that processed meats may increase the risk of cancers of the oesophagus, lung, stomach and prostate, Prof Wiseman warned.

Sarah Hiom, director of health information for Cancer Research UK, backed the findings but added: 'It is also important to remember that many other parts of your diet and wider lifestyle can affect the risk of bowel cancer, along with the genes.'

Ian Campbell, of the National Pig Association, advised shoppers to buy good-quality sausages which had not been preserved or processed. He added: 'Eating a balanced diet is the key.'

Source

---------------------

SubhaanAllaah......! Verily Allaah forbids us something for our own good!!

"....and it may be that you dislike a thing while it is good for you, and it may be that you love a thing while it is evil for you, and Allah knows, while you do not know."
[Qur'aan, 2:216]
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆
03-31-2008, 09:22 AM
:sl:
I wanted to share this, as muslims we dont eat products from pigs, but i thought it would be usefull to the non-muslim members of this forum to see more reasons why not to eat it.
:w:

Sausages and bacon in cancer warning

Eating just one sausage or around three rashers of bacon a day can increase the risk of developing bowel cancer by a fifth, an expert warned.

Just 1.8oz (50g) of processed meat daily increases the chances of getting bowel cancer by around 20%.

The charity World Cancer Research Fund (WCRF) said more needed to be done to get across the message that people who eat processed meat regularly are putting their health at risk.

Professor Martin Wiseman, medical and scientific adviser for the WCRF, said there was convincing evidence of a link between processed meats and cancer.

Processed meat is defined as that which is preserved by smoking, curing, salting or the addition of preservatives. Examples include ham, bacon, pastrami, salami, hot dogs and processed sausages. Hamburgers and minced meat counts if it has been preserved with salt or chemical additives.

Prof Wiseman said research has shown that only 30% of Britons were aware that eating processed meat increases cancer risk.

He added: "We are more sure now than ever before that eating processed meat increases your risk of bowel cancer and this is why WCRF recommends that people avoid eating it.

"The evidence is that whether you are talking about bacon, ham or pastrami - the safest amount to eat is none at all. When you consider that eating 50g of processed meat a day can increase your risk of bowel cancer by about a fifth, it is clear that you can make a positive difference by cutting out as much as possible.

"We do recommend that people avoid it completely, but it is not a case of all or nothing. Cutting down the amount of processed meat you eat can also reduce your risk of developing bowel cancer.

"But we need to do more to get this message across because if two thirds of people don't know about the link between processed meat and bowel cancer, then they are not in a position to be able to make informed decisions about whether to eat it or not."

Source
Reply

Uthman
03-31-2008, 11:22 AM
:sl:

It doesn't surprise me that Islam's teachings are backed up with empirical evidence!

Subhaan'Allah!

:w:
Reply

Whatsthepoint
03-31-2008, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by Osman
:sl:

It doesn't surprise me that Islam's teachings are backed up with empirical evidence!

Subhaan'Allah!

:w:
Islam prohibits pork, the article speaks of processed meat.

And anway, there are so many things that supposedly increase the risk of getting cancer that I am willing to take chance with processed meat.
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
Keltoi
03-31-2008, 12:29 PM
I've come to the conclusion that life sometimes causes cancer. I think the list of things that don't cause cancer is much smaller than the list of things that supposedly do.
Reply

------
03-31-2008, 12:31 PM
:salamext:

^ And blind will always remain blind....regardless of how many truths are placed before them....
Reply

Keltoi
03-31-2008, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by AhLÄÄM
:salamext:

^ And blind will always remain blind....regardless of how many truths are placed before them....
What truth is that? That processed meat is bad for you? So are about a thousand other things we all do on a daily basis. Vegetarians get cancer, does that mean we should stop eating vegetables? Life is a risk, and one can live their lives being as healthy as possible and still get cancer. Not eating pork isn't going to be a miracle cure for you.
Reply

Azy
03-31-2008, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by AhLÄÄM
^ And blind will always remain blind....regardless of how many truths are placed before them....
That was the perfect thing for you to say.

The article gives sausages as an example because they are processed meat and certain carcinogenics chemicals are used in their production, but you jumped solely on the fact that it was pork because that's what you wanted to see, blind to the real truth.
Reply

AvarAllahNoor
03-31-2008, 08:42 PM
Ban all meat become veggies!
Reply

Uthman
04-01-2008, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
Islam prohibits pork, the article speaks of processed meat.
Fair enough. I don't think I can argue with that.

Then, why is emphasis put on bacon and sausages in the first place? The articles aren't from specifically Muslim sources, so it isn't as though they are biased towards a religious viewpoint or anything. Maybe bacon and sausages are the most common type of processed meat that people eat around here, or something.
Reply

Heera Singh
04-01-2008, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
Ban all meat become veggies!
big up :D
Reply

Whatsthepoint
04-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by Osman
Fair enough. I don't think I can argue with that.

Then, why is emphasis put on bacon and sausages in the first place? The articles aren't from specifically Muslim sources, so it isn't as though they are biased towards a religious viewpoint or anything. Maybe bacon and sausages are the most common type of processed meat that people eat around here, or something.
Could be. I like Azy's reply. Check it out!
The thing with articles is that there are so many of them that one is bound to find one that support their view. I'm not saying processed meat doe not cause cancer, nor that pork is the best meat there is, I'm just saying deitery science and statistical research aren't as exact as physics or maths..
Reply

Gator
04-01-2008, 02:01 PM
Name the movie -

Vincent: Want some bacon?
Jules: No man, I don't eat pork.
Vincent: Are you Jewish?
Jules: Nah, I ain't Jewish, I just don't dig on swine, that's all.
Vincent: Why not?
Jules: Pigs are filthy animals. I don't eat filthy animals.
Vincent: Bacon tastes gooood. Pork chops taste gooood.
Jules: Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy m*****f*****. Pigs sleep and root in s***. That's a filthy animal. I ain't eat nothin' that ain't got enough sense enough to disregard its own faeces.
Vincent: How about a dog? Dogs eats its own feces.
Jules: I don't eat dog either.
Vincent: Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal?
Jules: I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.
Vincent: Ah, so by that rationale, if a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal. Is that true?
Jules: Well we'd have to be talkin' about one charmin' m****f****' pig. I mean he'd have to be ten times more charmin' than that Arnold on Green Acres, you know what I'm sayin'?
Reply

Keltoi
04-01-2008, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by Gator
Name the movie -

Vincent: Want some bacon?
Jules: No man, I don't eat pork.
Vincent: Are you Jewish?
Jules: Nah, I ain't Jewish, I just don't dig on swine, that's all.
Vincent: Why not?
Jules: Pigs are filthy animals. I don't eat filthy animals.
Vincent: Bacon tastes gooood. Pork chops taste gooood.
Jules: Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy m*****f*****. Pigs sleep and root in s***. That's a filthy animal. I ain't eat nothin' that ain't got enough sense enough to disregard its own faeces.
Vincent: How about a dog? Dogs eats its own feces.
Jules: I don't eat dog either.
Vincent: Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal?
Jules: I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.
Vincent: Ah, so by that rationale, if a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal. Is that true?
Jules: Well we'd have to be talkin' about one charmin' m****f****' pig. I mean he'd have to be ten times more charmin' than that Arnold on Green Acres, you know what I'm sayin'?
Perhaps I shouldn't reply...but I know it as Pulp Fiction. :D
Reply

Gator
04-01-2008, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by Keltoi
Perhaps I shouldn't reply...but I know it as Pulp Fiction. :D
We have a winner! I figured that would go quick.
Reply

Muezzin
04-01-2008, 03:36 PM
Oh man, I wanted to name it.

Anyway, another piece of scientific research that states the obvious - 'eating unhealthy food is bad for you! If you eat too much, eventually you might DIE!'

Hmm... I wonder how the search for the cure to cancer is going.
Reply

Heera Singh
04-01-2008, 04:12 PM
all meats, whether pork or not, are bad for us in one way or another... not saying that veggies are completely healthy (i.e. cuz of the use of pesticides n stuff), but they are a LOT better off then meat products... veggies u can at least grown in ur own backyard (which is what some of my family does) and make sure there's no lethal stuff goin into the soil there..
Reply

AvarAllahNoor
04-01-2008, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by Keltoi
Perhaps I shouldn't reply...but I know it as Pulp Fiction. :D
Great film! - Tarantino and Co.
Reply

Fishman
04-01-2008, 07:13 PM
:sl:
I'm back!
Oxygen causes cancer! Stop breathing everybody! :skeleton:

As I have said before, do we really need to try to justify everything with science, or is it better to trust God's Will and follow it only because we love and believe in him?
:w:
Reply

AvarAllahNoor
04-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by Fishman
:sl:
I'm back!
Oxygen causes cancer! Stop breathing everybody! :skeleton:

As I have said before, do we really need to try to justify everything with science, or is it better to trust God's Will and follow it only because we love and believe in him?
:w:
But that would be boring. We need to have Science conducting experiments. Although it's Gods will we have Science. :)
Reply

Fishman
04-01-2008, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
But that would be boring. We need to have Science conducting experiments. Although it's Gods will we have Science. :)
:sl:
I don't mean scientific experiments, I mean that irritating thing people do when they think that they need a scientific reason to do anything in their religion.
:w:
Reply

ranma1/2
04-11-2008, 06:52 AM
i thinkyou would be much morelikely to have a heart attack if you eat sausage everyday.
Its a sometimes food like coookies....
Reply

Keltoi
04-12-2008, 03:27 PM
I suppose we should all just live off whole wheat bread and brocolli stalks...
Reply

ranma1/2
04-12-2008, 05:54 PM
no way in heck, i love my meat, my vegis, my deserts and everything else.

theres food for the body and food for the soul.
Reply

FatimaAsSideqah
04-12-2008, 07:18 PM
:rollseyes

Why being sooo fussy with the foods?
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-15-2012, 01:56 PM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-20-2009, 07:12 AM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-28-2009, 10:04 PM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-15-2008, 02:06 PM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!