/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Ka'aba

curiosity
04-02-2008, 10:15 PM
hello,
I am taking an Islamic Studies at my university. I am currently writing a paper on the history of the Ka'aba, and was hoping to get some Muslim input for my paper. If anyone has time to answer a few questions, I would really appreciate it!
I also want to say that I think that you have a beautiful religion, and the more I learn about it, the more I respect it and it's followers.

1. Who do you believe built the Ka'aba?
2. What was/is the purpose of the Ka’aba?
3. Between Abraham and Muhammad, what happened to the Ka’aba? Who was in charge of taking care of the Ka’aba?
4. Who is in charge of the care of the Ka’aba now?
5. Was the Ka'aba ever used as a Mosque, in Adam's day etc?

Any other information you would like to share about the Ka'aba would be greatly appreciated. Also if you want to leave your name so I can cite you in my paper that would be helpful - but not necessary.

Thank you all so much!

-Curiosity

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Danah
04-09-2008, 07:27 PM
History of Kaaba

Question: Did the Ka’bak exist before Islam? Who first built the Ka’bah? Is it the same building that it has always been since ancient times?

Answered by the Fatwa Department Research Committee - chaired by Sheikh `Abd al-Wahhâb al-Turayrî
Allah has appointed the Ka`bah to be the dedicated place for the pilgrimage (Hajj), which is one of the five pillars of Islam.

Allah says: “Pilgrimage thereto is a duty people owe to Allah, those who can afford the journey” [Sûrah al-Baqarah: 97].

We know that the Ka`bah was the first House built on Earth for the worship of Allah, since we read in the Qur’ân: “The first House (of worship) appointed for men was that at Bakka: full of blessing and of guidance for all the worlds” [Sûrah al-Baqarah: 96]

Bakka is an older name for Mecca.

However, the first builder of Ka`bah and its date of construction is a matter of considerable disagreement. Ibn Jarîr al-Tabarî narrates a wide variety of statements on the matter made by some of the Companions and others. He then says:

The correct thing is to say only that Allah had told Abraham and his son Ishmael to raise the foundations of the House. These foundations might possibly have been sent down with Adam who carried them to their place in Mecca. They might possibly have been made of corundum or from a pearl sent down to Earth. Adam might possibly have built it first, but if he had, it had fallen into ruin long before Abraham and Ishmael raised its foundations.
Finally, Ibn Jarîr concludes:
There is no way to give preference to any of these opinions, because such things cannot be confirmed without an authentic statement from the Prophet (peace be upon him), and that is something which does not exist on the matter.
We know for a fact that Abraham and Ishmael built the Ka`bah, regardless of who might have built it before them.

Allah says: “And remember Abraham and Ishmael raised the foundations of the House.” [Sûrah al-Baqarah: 127]

Another piece of evidence that Abraham built the House is the authentic hadîth in Sahîh al-Bûkhârî that Ibrâhîm told Isma`îl : “Allah has ordered me to build a house there” and he pointed to an rise. [Fath al-Bârî (6/397)]

After that it was rebuilt by the Amalekites, Jûrhûm, and Qusayy b. Kilâb.

It was again rebuilt by Quraysh during the Prophet Muhammad’s lifetime after being damaged by a flood. This took place long before the Prophet (peace be upon him) began to receive revelation.

The tribe of Quraysh at that time was short of money, so they did not rebuild it according to the original foundations that had been laid by Abraham (peace be upon him). They left out the portion referred to as the Hijr and make it outside the physical structure of the Ka`bah. They made only one door for the Ka`bah.

`Â’ishah relates that the Prophet said: “O `Â’ishah! Were your people not close to the Pre-Islamic times of ignorance, I would have had the Ka`bah demolished and would have included in it the portion which had been left, and would have made it at a level with the ground and would have made two doors in it, one towards the east and the other towards the west, and then by doing this it would have been built on the foundations laid by Abraham.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Muslim]

Since then, it has been rebuilt by `Abd Allah b. al-Zubayr (who restored it to its original foundations after the people of Syria attacked it), then by al-Hajjaj (who returned it to the foundations that it had after Quraysh rebuilt it), then by the Ottoman Sultan Murâd Khân the Fourth.

Repairing and refurbishing works continues all the time, the latest being only a few years ago
source: http://change2islam.blogspot.com/200...-of-kaaba.html

I think this links can help you in your studies as well
http://www.--------------/kaaba14/1.htm

Method
04-15-2008, 04:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by curiosity
hello,
I am taking an Islamic Studies at my university. I am currently writing a paper on the history of the Ka'aba, and was hoping to get some Muslim input for my paper. If anyone has time to answer a few questions, I would really appreciate it!
I also want to say that I think that you have a beautiful religion, and the more I learn about it, the more I respect it and it's followers.

1. Who do you believe built the Ka'aba?
2. What was/is the purpose of the Ka’aba?
3. Between Abraham and Muhammad, what happened to the Ka’aba? Who was in charge of taking care of the Ka’aba?
4. Who is in charge of the care of the Ka’aba now?
5. Was the Ka'aba ever used as a Mosque, in Adam's day etc?

Any other information you would like to share about the Ka'aba would be greatly appreciated. Also if you want to leave your name so I can cite you in my paper that would be helpful - but not necessary.

Thank you all so much!

-Curiosity
Hi,

It sounds awesome that you're doing Islamic Studies. I would have loved to have done that course but not that many universities offer that course, just out of curiosity what university is it that you attend? I've also always wondered what the course is actually like, could you provide some info? :)

I just thought I'd give you some input:

1) Who do you believe built the Ka'aba?
History books mention eleven builders who rebuilt the Sacred House. Some of these views are presumptive while others are indisputable. But among those who were mentioned to have built the Holy Ka'bah are the following:

1. The Angels (peace be upon them).
2. Adam (peace be upon him). It was said that it was built by Adam (peace be upon him) assisted by the Angels (peace be upon them).
3. Seth Ibn Adam (peace be upon them).
4. Abraham in collaboration with his son Ismail (peace be upon them).
5. AI-Amaliqah.
6. Jurhum.
7. Qusai, the fourth grandfather of Prophet Muhammad (blessings and peace be upon him).
8. Quraish. Prophet Muhammad (blessings and peace be upon him) was present during this construction and participated, five years before his mission, by carrying the stones with the help of his uncle AI-Abbas to the site of the building. He also played a wise role in settling who was eligible to put the Black Stone in its place.
9. Abdullah lbn Al-Zubair (may Allah be pleased with them) in the year 65 H. This was after the siege of AI-Husayn Ibn Numair, who came with his army on behalf of Yazeed Ibn Muawiyah to wage war against lbn AI-Zubair. He attacked the Holy Ka'bah with catapults, causing its walls to collapse and burn. This necessitated its complete demolition and reconstruction after the withdrawal of Al-Husayn and his army.
10. AI-Hajjaj in the year 74 H. In fact, the construction by AI-Hajjaj is not considered as a comprehensive addition as it was only the demolition of the additions made by Ibn AI-Zubair.
11. The Ottoman Sultan, Murad Khan, in the year 1040 H., after most of the sides of the Holy Ka'bah were destroyed as a consequence of heavy rains and torrents which flooded Makkah on the afternoon and evening of Thursday 20th Sha'ban, 1039 H.

Source: http://www.kabahinfo.net/eng-php/builders-kabah.php

2) What was/is the purpose of the Ka’aba?
For any reference point on the Earth, the Qibla is the direction to the Kaaba. Muslims are ordered to face this direction during prayer (Qur'an 2:143-144). While it may appear to some non-Muslims that Muslims worship the Kaaba, the Kaaba is simply the focal point for prayer. The purpose of it being built was just as a symbol of unity among the Muslims because all Muslims around the world will facing the Kaaba. Muslims also perform Tawaaf (i.e. the pilgrims walk around the Kaaba seven times) and point to the stone or kiss it as a symbol of the continuity of Islam over time and of the unity of believers around the Ka'aba during the Hajj pilgrimage.

3) Between Abraham and Muhammad, what happened to the Ka’aba? Who was in charge of taking care of the Ka’aba?
In pre-Islamic times, the Ka'aba was worshipped by numerous pilgrims and devotees. Following the death of Abraham, the Meccans fell into idoltary and paganism and the Ka'aba was filled with more than 300 idols.

At the time of Mohammad's birth, Mecca was an ancient centre of commerce ruled by a few powerful merchant families from the Quraysh tribe.

When Muhammad conquered Mecca, he destroyed the 360 idols around Kaaba which the Meccan pagans possessed. There was one god for each day of the year. While destroying each idol, Muhammad recited [Qur'an 17:81] which says "Truth has arrived and falsehood has perished for falsehood is by its nature bound to perish."

Muhammad (SAW) then entered the Kaaba and ordered all the pictures to be destroyed.

Sources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaaba#Before_Islam
http://www.channel4.com/culture/micr...enb_mecca.html

4) Who is in charge of the care of the Ka’aba now?
The keys to the Kaaba are held by the Banī Shaybat (بني شيبة) tribe. Members of the tribe greet visitors to the inside of the Kaaba on the occasion of the cleaning ceremony. A small number of dignitaries and foreign diplomats are invited to participate in the ceremony. The governor of Mecca leads the honored guests who ritually clean the structure, using simple brooms. Washing of the Kaaba is done with a mixture of Zamzam and rosewater.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaaba#Cleaning

5) Was the Ka'aba ever used as a Mosque, in Adam's day etc?
To be completely honest, I don't have enough knowledge to answer this question. It would be best to ask an Islamic scholar regarding this, I don't want to falsely guess answers which could be completely wrong.

Other links that may be useful: http://www.dartabligh.org/months/zil...aba/index.html
http://www.channel4.com/culture/micr...enb_mecca.html

Hopefully this should be of some help if I'm not too late and you haven't already handed in your paper. If you want to add my name for citations its Rizwan Ahmed ;)

Btw, if you've got MSN it'd be cool talking to you :) I'll PM you my addy ;)

Riz

Method
04-15-2008, 04:33 PM

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Method
04-16-2008, 08:16 AM

Loay Adnan
04-18-2008, 12:36 PM
Al Salam

The following may answer your question about who built Kaaba:

Who built the Kaaba?

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds; and may His blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.

The origins of the Kaaba is lost in antiquity. There are many accounts
of its construction, re-building and later modifications. Some accounts of its construction are unquestionable while others lack the consensus of the scholars. The undeniable accounts of its origin include the construction of: (1) Ibrahim (Alaihi Salaam) (2) the Quraish (3) Ibn
Al-Zubair (4) Al-Hajjaj Ibn Yousaf which was done following an order from Abd al-Malik Ibn Marwan .
The accounts of the Kaaba construction that lack agreement are those of: (1) the Angels (2) Adam (Alaihi Salaam) (3) Sheath Ibn Adam (4) the giant people who lived in the era after Ibrahim (5) the Jurhum tribe (6) Qusay Ibn Kilab (7) Abd al-Muttalib . There is disagreement over who first built it as some scholars believe that Kaaba was established by Allah for Adam (Alaihi Salaam).
Others think that the Angels first built it followed by Adam . A third group think that Sheath was the first to build it. But the most correct opinion is that Ibrahim (Alaihi Salaam) was the first to build it. This is the preponderant opinion. The evidence for this is the Hadith reported from Ibn Abbas (Radiya Allahu Anhu) who said: "Had people not performed Hajj to this House, Allah would have made the heavens to fall on the earth and the honour of this (act of Hajj) returns to its (House) first builder, Ibrahim " . Allah Says (interpretation of meaning): {And
(remember) when We showed Ibrâhim (Abraham) the site of the (Sacred) House (the Ka'bah at Makkah) (saying): "Associate not anything (in worship) with Me, [Lâ ilâha ill-Allâh (none has the right to be worshipped but Allâh Islâmic Monotheism], …}[22: 26]. He also Says: {Verily, the first House (of worship) appointed for mankind was that at Bakkah
(Makkah), full of blessing, and a guidance for Al-'Alamîn (the mankind and jinns). In it are manifest signs (for example), the Maqâm (place) of Ibrâhim (Abraham); whosoever enters it, he attains security. …}[3:
96-97]. Those who support this opinion give also the following verse as another evidence. Allah Says (interpretation of meaning): {And
(remember) when Ibrâhim (Abraham) and (his son) Ismâ'il (Ishmael) were raising the foundations of the House (the Ka'bah at Makkah), (saying),
"Our Lord! Accept (this service) from us. Verily! You are the All-Hearer, the All-Knower."}[2: 127].
In addition, there is no sound evidence from the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) that "Kaaba was built before that" . But some people believe that Adam was the first to build Kaaba. Their evidence is a weak Hadith reported by al-Baihaqi and which describes how Adam built the Kaaba.
Allah knows best

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!