/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Translation?

Huma*
04-17-2008, 12:02 PM
:salamext:

This is a poetic phrase in Arabic, Can any1 translate this in English ?

يا قارى كتابي ...ابكي على شبابي ...بلامس كنت حيا ....ولان في ترابي :)

I get this stupid translation when I tried google trans..

"You cry ... continental written on the youth ... Blams you alive .... Because in the dirt." :rollseyes

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ummu Sufyaan
04-17-2008, 12:08 PM
:sl:
it means: o you who are reading my book, cry over my youth, yesturday you were alive, and now you are in the ground...hmmm....interesting :sunny:

------
04-17-2008, 12:09 PM

Woah thats deep... post anymore if u have them inshaaAllaah :D

Admin
04-17-2008, 12:11 PM
cry over my old age
Shabab is old age? :confused:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ummu Sufyaan
04-17-2008, 12:32 PM
^ oops, soory youth

Huma*
04-17-2008, 03:47 PM

Thanks for the replies, Actually I read it in a travelouge..This poetic phrase is found written on a grave in Najaf, Iraq.

Huma*
04-17-2008, 03:51 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Ramlah
it means: o you who are reading my book, cry over my youth, yesturday you were alive, and now you are in the ground...hmmm....interesting :sunny:
"it means: o you who are reading my book, cry over my youth, yesturday you were alive, and now you are in the ground"

Thanks, it looks closer :sunny: but... كتابي is My book, likewise ترابي could b my ground or I am in the ground..

How abt something like this..

"O you who are reading my book, I am crying over my youth, until yesterday I was alive, and now I am in the ground..."

format_quote Originally Posted by AhLÄÄM

Woah thats deep... post anymore if u have them inshaaAllaah :D
Inshaallah I'll post here if I came across something interesting like this next time.

Woodrow
04-17-2008, 08:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Humaira*

"O you who are reading my book, I am crying over my youth, until yesterday I was alive, and now I am in the ground..."

I believe you got it

Ummu Sufyaan
04-18-2008, 03:17 AM
"it means: o you who are reading my book, cry over my youth, yesturday you were alive, and now you are in the ground"

Thanks, it looks closer :sunny: but... كتابي is My book, likewise ترابي could b my ground or I am in the ground..

lol...yeah sorry, my bad...
jazakallahu kahir for the clarification....

Na7lah
04-19-2008, 03:44 AM

umm i think they both work but it would depend on the Tashkiil (harakat)
example: ابكي could be Abky or Ibky. Abky would mean i cry while Ibky means cry (a command)

كنت could be Kunta or Kuntu. Kunta would mean you were while Kuntu would be i was

In Arabic you can change the whole word by changing the Tashkil or Harakah *Fatha, damma, Kasra, Sukuun and so on*
example: حر Hur would be *free* while Har would be *hot* (just an example my teacher use to use lol)

Ma'salamah :)

Silver
04-20-2008, 05:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslimah421
example: ابكي could be Abky or Ibky. Abky would mean i cry while Ibky means cry (a command)
No actually ابكي is I CRY because if it was a command it should've been ابك without the Ya2 "ي" . the ya2 is called : 7arf 3ella.

Huma*
04-22-2008, 03:13 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by muslimah421

كنت could be Kunta or Kuntu. Kunta would mean you were while Kuntu would be i was
yea you are right, but here it is.. Abky and kuntu.

format_quote Originally Posted by Lara
No actually ابكي is I CRY because if it was a command it should've been ابك without the Ya2 "ي" . the ya2 is called : 7arf 3ella.
Agreed :thumbs_up

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.