PDA

View Full Version : Six to be sentenced for terrorism offences



Muezzin
04-18-2008, 10:08 AM
LONDON (Reuters) - Six British Muslim men were due to be sentenced on Friday after being found guilty of inciting acts of terrorism or raising money for terrorist purposes.

Among them was Omar Brooks, also known as Abu Izzadeen, a man who leapt to public attention in 2006 when he heckled then Home Secretary John Reid in front of television cameras.

Thursday's guilty verdicts followed a three-month trial at Kingston Crown Court in Surrey.

One of the six jumped bail while the jury was considering its verdict and is being hunted by police.

"These are extremely serious offences. The overwhelming majority of people totally reject the deeply offensive views peddled by these defendants," said John McDowall, head of the Metropolitan Police Service's Counter Terrorism Command.

"They deliberately set out to incite people to carry out terrorist acts."

The charges arise from speeches and preaching the men were involved in at London's Regents Park Mosque on November 9, 2004.

The court was told that the men had gone to the mosque to observe Ramadan. During the late afternoon and evening their speeches became progressively more inflammatory.

The men called on people to fight British and American forces in Iraq and to donate money to fund terrorism.

Police were called to the mosque in the evening by security staff who were concerned about the activities of the men and the content of their speeches.

During searches of a property following the Danish cartoon protests in central London in February 2006, police discovered video tapes of some of the speeches made by the men in the November 2004 incident.

(Reporting by Jeremy Lovell; editing by Steve Addison)

Source
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
04-18-2008, 02:55 PM
:salamext:


terrorism is a synonym for anything in support of muslims.. its sad.
Reply

IbnAbdulHakim
04-18-2008, 03:22 PM
i feel angry

because they call those brothers terrorists for wanting to aid afghanistan and iraq and fight the oppressors.

it gets me angry because

they overlook their own terrorism


serious thaghut, tyrants......
Reply

Amadeus85
04-18-2008, 03:25 PM
UK cant afford another bomb attack made by misunderstood young religious men. So they do what they should do. The safety of brittish citizens is most important.
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
IbnAbdulHakim
04-18-2008, 03:27 PM
yeh it also gets me angry that the safety of palestinians and iraqis and afghanis isnt important...
Reply

Fishman
04-18-2008, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
i feel angry

because they call those brothers terrorists for wanting to aid afghanistan and iraq and fight the oppressors.




serious thaghut, tyrants......
:sl:
They were inciting terrorism. One of them said something like 'terrorism is part and parcel of Islam' and went on to talk about how Muslims should attack and terrorise non-Muslims.

it gets me angry because
they overlook their own terrorism
And, as evidenced by your post, Muslims overlook their own terrorism as well.
:w:
Reply

truemuslim
04-18-2008, 04:27 PM
are these the people that were on BBC during the earthquakish time?
Reply

Fishman
04-18-2008, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by truemuslim
are these the people that were on BBC during the earthquakish time?
:sl:
They told you about the earthquake on American news? They must be short on stories over in the states...
:w:
Reply

Amadeus85
04-18-2008, 04:37 PM
The thing is that muslims wouldnt tolerate people calling to crusade in the muslim country, so you shouldnt expect that people would be allowed to call for jihad in the middle of Europe.
Reply

truemuslim
04-18-2008, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by Fishman
:sl:
They told you about the earthquake on American news? They must be short on stories over in the states...
:w:
yeh it was more like "Earthquake hits london" then shows a man cleaning...no one got injured...well it didnt say. the end
Reply

Trumble
04-18-2008, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
because they call those brothers terrorists for wanting to aid afghanistan and iraq and fight the oppressors.
That rather depends on your point of view as to what constitutes "aid" and who are the "oppressors".
Reply

IbnAbdulHakim
04-18-2008, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by Fishman
:sl:
They were inciting terrorism. One of them said something like 'terrorism is part and parcel of Islam' and went on to talk about how Muslims should attack and terrorise non-Muslims.


And, as evidenced by your post, Muslims overlook their own terrorism as well.
:w:
i just got one thing to say to YOU



YOUR a FISH !



im sure you will agree



Assalamu Alaikum


Originally Posted by Trumble
That rather depends on your point of view as to what constitutes "aid" and who are the "oppressors".
aid = help fight off those who have unjustly invaded the lands of the muslims (iraq/afghanistan/palestine)


oppressors = mostly american/british and israelli's
Reply

IbnAbdulHakim
04-18-2008, 05:35 PM
Edit
Reply

Fishman
04-18-2008, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
i just got one thing to say to YOU



YOUR a FISH !



im sure you will agree
:sl:
I don't get it.. :?
:w:
Reply

Suomipoika
04-18-2008, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by - Qatada -
:salamext:


terrorism is a synonym for anything in support of muslims.. its sad.
Muslims inciting violent acts -> supporting muslims.

:?

Seriously, how should this view be criticised properly?
Reply

truemuslim
04-18-2008, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by Suomipoika
Muslims inciting violent acts -> supporting muslims.

:?

Seriously, how should this view be criticised properly?
not all do violent acts.
r u stereotype?
SOME do stupid violent acts saying its for the muslims, but MOST don't even support this idea.
Violence doesn't resolve nothin.
I wish bush could understand that first.
Reply

------
04-18-2008, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by Fishman
:sl:
I don't get it.. :?
:w:
:salamext:

He meant that you are not seeing that Muslims should go out and fight in Jihad (I think)
Reply

snakelegs
04-18-2008, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by - Qatada -
:salamext:


terrorism is a synonym for anything in support of muslims.. its sad.
do you really believe this?
don't you think that there really are muslims who do bad things?
granted that they are a minority, but they do indeed exist.
this is not to say that others (including governments such as my own) don't do bad things too.
do you think that muslims who do bad things shouldn't be criticized by muslims?
Reply

------
04-18-2008, 08:01 PM
:salamext:

^ Some Muslims do exist like that (even if its a minority).

This is why it is up to the rest of the Muslims to convey the right message of Islaam :)
Reply

Suomipoika
04-18-2008, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by truemuslim
not all do violent acts.
r u stereotype?
SOME do stupid violent acts saying its for the muslims, but MOST don't even support this idea.
Violence doesn't resolve nothin.
I wish bush could understand that first.
No, not all muslims do violent acts. However I wasnt the first who so casually called them brothers. And I admit in the heat of the moment I used wrong wording there, but seriously how should the following view be criticised properly?

Incite violence -> support muslims.
Reply

snakelegs
04-18-2008, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by AhLÄÄM
:salamext:

^ Some Muslims do exist like that (even if its a minority).

This is why it is up to the rest of the Muslims to convey the right message of Islaam :)
true say!
Reply

Muezzin
04-18-2008, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by Me and the BBC
The men called on people to fight British and American forces in Iraq and to donate money to fund terrorism.
Let's deconstruct and view this through the skewed lens of my personal morality.

The men called on people to fight British and American forces in Iraq
Okay. The fact that it's British and American forces rather than civilians is, well, excusable. War and all that. The fact that the speeches were being given in Britain, essentially encouraging the listeners to become traitors? Less so. A lot less so.

...and to donate money to fund terrorism.
Okay. No-no. I define terrorism as the reckless or deliberate killing of civilians, which I don't justify, and don't think should be justified or invoked, whoever the person responsible or whatever the circumstances.
Reply

- Qatada -
04-18-2008, 09:44 PM
My statement was general in meaning, and no - i don't support that innocents should be killed.


But what i do believe is that any form of collecting money in support of innocent Muslims, such as Palestine, Bosnia etc. it is automatically counted as something suspicious, and that's what i really find sad. (that's what i meant in my first post without going into detail.)
Reply

snakelegs
04-18-2008, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by - Qatada -
My statement was general in meaning, and no - i don't support that innocents should be killed.


But what i do believe is that any form of collecting money in support of innocent Muslims, such as Palestine, Bosnia etc. it is automatically counted as something suspicious, and that's what i really find sad. (that's what i meant in my first post without going into detail.)
understood.
Reply

Fishman
04-18-2008, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by - Qatada -
But what i do believe is that any form of collecting money in support of innocent Muslims, such as Palestine, Bosnia etc. it is automatically counted as something suspicious, and that's what i really find sad. (that's what i meant in my first post without going into detail.)
:sl:
I don't see what's wrong with collecting charity money to help people either. But these people were not collecting charity money, they were collecting money to give to millitant groups and terrorists, the kind who set up roadside bombs and kill policemen and Iraqi army soldiers and ordinary people shopping. they are also fighting against Britian, which makes collecting money for them treason, a capital offense in some circumstances.
:w:
Reply

snakelegs
04-18-2008, 10:02 PM
i don't know about this specific case - was it proven that the money was going for terrorist causes, as opposed to humanitarian causes?
i do think sometimes people are afraid to give money now to causes like helping the palestinian children, etc.
Reply

Amadeus85
04-18-2008, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by Muezzin
.

Okay. The fact that it's British and American forces rather than civilians is, well, excusable. War and all that. The fact that the speeches were being given in Britain, essentially encouraging the listeners to become traitors? Less so. A lot less so.

.
Muezzin,didnt you notice the fact that this person called in England to fight with english soldiers. I mean, seriously, which normal country would tolerate such things.
Reply

barney
04-18-2008, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
yeh it also gets me angry that the safety of palestinians and iraqis and afghanis isnt important...
Cripes. this thread is so due to head down the pan.
Simply take a look at who is responsible for deaths in Afganistan and Iraq. Its so simple to do. Good luck.

Yup, six people intent of slaughtering civilains in this country, for no purpose, for no reason.
Lets see who excuses and jumps to the defence of butchers. Lets see who condems wanton murder in the name of politics and religion.

If guilty, I would say bang em up for life. Preferably with swimsuit wearing gaurds.
Reply

barney
04-18-2008, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by Muezzin
Let's deconstruct and view this through the skewed lens of my personal morality.


Okay. The fact that it's British and American forces rather than civilians is, well, excusable. War and all that. The fact that the speeches were being given in Britain, essentially encouraging the listeners to become traitors? Less so. A lot less so.


Okay. No-no. I define terrorism as the reckless or deliberate killing of civilians, which I don't justify, and don't think should be justified or invoked, whoever the person responsible or whatever the circumstances.

Spot on. The army takes its chances. It does its job trying to protect the civilains from the suicide market butchers, and the extremists cause death where they can find it at a rate of 70 muslims to each Kuffar.

They still manage to keep this facade of respectability because. Hey ...they blew up the marketplace killing 120 Muslims and wounding 200 muslims, but at least theyre not Kuffar. (Thats the Kuffar thats trying to kill the gunmen by the way)
Reply

mediadave
04-19-2008, 12:35 AM
terrorism is a synonym for anything in support of muslims.. its sad.
I hope you said that without realising what it is that he's said:

He visited Pakistan in 2001, before the September 11 attacks, as part of Al-Muhajiroun; he claims he went there to give a series of lectures. He also claimed to have attended terror training camps in Afghanistan.[4][5]

He described the 7/7 suicide bombers in London as "completely praiseworthy".[7]

On the eve of the anniversary of the 7/7 attacks in London, he was filmed preaching to a group of Muslims in Birmingham (UK) mocking and laughing at the victims of 9/11 and threatening further terror attacks in the UK.[8]

He has openly stated that he wishes to die as a suicide bomber.[9]

On 20 September 2006, Abu Izadeen and Anjem Choudary disrupted Home Secretary John Reid's first public meeting with Muslims since his appointment. He called Reid an "enemy" of Islam.[10]. John Humphrys interviewed Izzadeen on the 22 September 2006 edition of BBC Radio 4's Today programme. In a heated discussion Abu Izadeen stated that his aim was for the UK to become an Islamic state and that this should be achieved without following the democratic process.[11]

In early February 2007, ITV broadcast a video made in the summer of 2004 that was discovered on a password-protected website by Glen Jenvey. In the video Abu Izadeen told his audience in Regents Park Mosque, to murder British and American Muslim soldiers:

"Whoever allies himself with the Kaffirs against the believers - he is one of them. So those so-called enemies to Allah who join the British Government - 'cos remember the British Government, my dear Muslim brothers, are crusaders... crusaders come to kill and rape Muslims. Whoever joins them - he who joins the British Army, the American Army, he is a mortal kaffir and his only hukum (punishment) is for his head to be removed. Indeed, whoever changes his deen (religious way of life); kill him."[12][13]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Izzadeen
Reply

Muezzin
04-19-2008, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by Aaron85
Muezzin,didnt you notice the fact that this person called in England to fight with english soldiers.
I did. He's basically telling them to become traitors.

I mean, seriously, which normal country would tolerate such things.
There's no shrug smiley, so just imagine me shrugging.
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 50
    Last Post: 12-15-2012, 12:19 PM
  2. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 06-27-2012, 07:29 PM
  3. Replies: 38
    Last Post: 02-06-2010, 12:53 PM
  4. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-11-2008, 07:20 PM
  5. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-15-2005, 08:51 PM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!