/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Biology prac exam need help

Mikayeel
04-20-2008, 08:31 PM
:sl:

I have to hand in a biology prac exam, The aim is to investigate the effects of calcium ions on the coagulation of milk.

Now i would love some help, can anyone add some info to this here. I am a bit clueless:?.

Thanks!

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Al-Hanbali
04-20-2008, 08:39 PM
:salamext:

^Is this for AS or A2?

Mikayeel
04-20-2008, 08:50 PM
Its AS, OCR

Mikayeel
04-20-2008, 10:07 PM
anyone? please?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Al-Hanbali
04-20-2008, 10:24 PM
:salamext:

With a bit of googling, this is what I came across:
"Calcium does not cause milk to clot under normal circumstances.

However, during digestion of milk in the stomach of infants, calcium is required for the precipitation of milk proteins, causing milk to curdle so it stays in the infants stomach long enough for digestion. The amount of calcium in milk is far in excess for this precipitation to take place.

This process is mediated by the enzyme Rennin (or chymosin), secreted in the stomach of infants. Most milk proteins are caesins, which have four major forms: alpha-s1, alpha-s2, beta and kappa caesins. Alpha and beta caesins, when left on their own would precipitate in the presence of calcium. However, when associated with unprecipitable kappa caesins, also present in milk, they form micelles which remain disolved.

Rennin digests kappa caesin, preventing it from aggregating the alpha and beta caesins into soluble micelles, effectively causing them to precipitate out naturally. And this precipitation requires calcium ions.

This same theory can be applied to the making of dairy products such as cheese, which also use enzymes similar to rennin to curdle milk."
Dunno how useful that is. Btw, is this planning excercise your actual one or is just a mock?

Mikayeel
04-20-2008, 10:32 PM
Its the actual planning excercie, lool that website, is one of the first that comes up when u google it! So bare people gna be using it! I have used some of it.

I really appreciate ur effort brother:)

This is going to be a loooong night for me, it has to be in tomorrow! Man i hate when i leave my stuff till last min..

But am going good, i have 728words out of 1000:)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.