/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Interested in converting....

raincoat
04-27-2008, 10:18 PM
:sl:

I am jsut getting back from HYD, India(i currently live in madison,wisconsin) and i fell in love with islam. I am interested in converting to islam but dont know hwere to start. I have the qu'ran but i need some guidance. There is a mosque here but i am a little afriad to go because i dont know what to expect. Any help/suggestions would be great!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
04-27-2008, 10:29 PM
Hi raincoat! :) Welcome to the forums.

Here's a good link which explains how to convert and the details;

http://muslimconverts.com/howtoconvert/index.htm

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask! :) We ask Allah to guide you and us all, and give us success in this life and the one to come. ameen.

Peace brother.

'Abd-al Latif
04-27-2008, 10:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by raincoat

I am jsut getting back from HYD, India(i currently live in madison,wisconsin) and i fell in love with islam. I am interested in converting to islam but dont know hwere to start. I have the qu'ran but i need some guidance. There is a mosque here but i am a little afriad to go because i dont know what to expect. Any help/suggestions would be great!
Thats great to her and may Allah bring you into Islaam.

EDIT: Sorry I re-read your post and decided to edit mine.

You won't really see much happening in a mosque except for either people learning the qur'an or praying (or something of the sort) I mean compared to in a church where theres singing and somewhat dancing going on. Ask for the local imam after the prayer and ask to speak to him privately if you want and just tell him you want to be a muslim. I'm sure he would be glad to help.

And i'll be glad to help you with anything else.

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
04-27-2008, 10:32 PM
May Allah swt help you in your quest in converting to Islam :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
truemuslim
04-27-2008, 10:47 PM
Mashallah brother ,
May Allah (swt) guide u and help u turn to islam, and make ur life easy and grant u jannah inshallah!
Jazakallah khair
WaSalam

p.s.And dont forget to feel free to ask questions bro! we got a special section for this in "new muslims" or "discover islam"
inshallah

*Hana*
04-27-2008, 11:27 PM
Congratulations on your upcoming reversion!! Alhamdulillah!! :D

Don't be shy about going to the mosque. Believe me, they will welcome you with open arms, mashallah!

May Allah, swt, bless you and continue to guide you. Ameen

Wasalam,
Hana

al Amaanah
04-28-2008, 12:48 AM
ALLAHOMMA AMEEN on the ad3iyah

MustafaMc
04-28-2008, 01:26 AM
Peace be upon you (assalamu alaikum), may Allah continue to guide you to and along the Straight Way that leads to Paradise.

Danah
04-28-2008, 07:44 AM
glad to hear that, may allah guide you to the best in sha allah and grant you al jannah in sha allah.
Dont hesitate to go to masjid they will welcome you in sha allah.
also, this forum will teach you alot in sha allah, just ask whatever comes to your mind and you will have the answer that will satisfied you

------
04-28-2008, 08:07 AM
:salamext:

Check out this website for more information :)

www.islamreligion.com

For information on how to convert, check out this site:

How to Convert to Islam and Become a Muslim

Peace.

Sanobar
04-30-2008, 09:29 AM
wow mashAllah brother ... a very nice step indeed... May Allah swt guide u and grant u pateince ...

:w:

glo
04-30-2008, 03:47 PM

Greetings, raincoat

Can you share what it was that impressed you so much in Islam?
Thank you. And welcome to LI. :)

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-30-2008, 04:18 PM
Salaam Alaikum

MashaAllah brother. Welcome to the Ummah! Alhamdulillah! :D May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala keep you steadfast InshaAllah, Ameen!

malayloveislam
05-01-2008, 07:31 AM
Salamun 3alaikum.....
I am a new member of tis forum....it is great to know brothers and sisters in Islam...there is no converting in Islam rather than we revert to our root...May Allah bless you and all friends,amin!

cute123
05-01-2008, 08:35 AM
Welcome to Islam, May ALLAH TALLAH guide you.

raincoat
05-01-2008, 09:43 PM

Sorry for my very late reply. Firstly thank you all for your kind words and suggestions. I went to the mosque two days ago to met with the imam at a mosque that is near by(well its 40 minutes away but still). I ended up saying the sahaba in front of the people that were there. It wasnt planned on my half but still i was happy to do it. He gave me some books that i have been going through but i am having a small problem, the arabic. I am trying to learn the salah properly but i am having troubles saying the arabic. It does have the arabic in roman letters but i am afraid i am not saying it properly. How did you guys learn it? And to be honest i dont know how i became interested in islam it just kind of happen. I always had an intrest but it never really came to light untill i got to hyderabad india. The place is dominated by islam and the first time i remember being drawn intentsly to islam was when i heard adhan my first day. It was so amazing and gave me a feeling of peace. Thanks again everyone, allah hafiz!

MSalman
05-01-2008, 10:02 PM
^Wa'alykum As-Salam

congratulations brother, alhamdulillah, welcome to true deen of Allah Ta'ala. May Allah Ta'ala make things easy for you and guide as all, Ameen

snakelegs
05-02-2008, 12:42 AM
welcome!
here you can hear (and watch) how to pray:
http://english.islamway.com/prayer/AdvSound.htm

Sanobar
05-02-2008, 12:14 PM
wow mashaAllah... its a matter of time brother and patience is the key!

its a nice thing that a city liek hyderabad could chnage ur views and turn u to islam! mashaAllah! !

may Allah guide you thr the thick and the thin brother and award to a lot of patience..

:w:

MustafaMc
05-03-2008, 02:48 PM
I recommend this software to help learn the proper pronunciation of surahs for prayer.

http://www.dar-us-salam.com/store/ma..._Code=Software

Abdul Fattah
05-03-2008, 02:54 PM

Yeah I had the same thing about not wanting to go to a mosque in the beginning =) Just look at it this way. If you ever have specific questions, obviously you can always post them here, but you might also be interested in this: www.tafsir.com it's one of the best, most accepted explenationary books on the Qur'an. Also for practical things like how to pray and so on, I would suggest visiting that mosque, since it's so much easier to show something, as opposed to explaining it in text.

dream gurl
05-03-2008, 06:28 PM
congradulation..i suggest you go to the mosque and ask for the 'sheikh' o imaam..and tll him dat u are interested in islam..
WISH DA BEST..may allah reward u..ameen

*Hana*
05-03-2008, 06:37 PM
Salam Alaikum, Brother!

Congratulations on your reversion, mashallah!! :D

May Allah, swt, continue to bless and guide you and keep you on the straight path. Ameen

You can try this Qur'an Tutor. It's how I learned, Alhamdulillah!

Qur'an Tutor

Wa'alaikum salam,
Hana

raincoat
05-03-2008, 08:23 PM

Thanks again to everyone who replied, it really helped a lot. As i learn more things more questions arise, which i guess is to be expected. Right now i am wondering how i pray when i am at work? There isnt a clean place to pray and i think i may have problems getting away in order to pray properly. What do you guys do? Thanks again!

MustafaMc
05-03-2008, 10:36 PM
There are only a few places where prayer is forbidden - such as bathrooms, cemeteries, or slaughter houses. Fortunately, I have an office that I can pray in at work. When people see my door closed, they know I am likely praying and come back later. When I am away from the home office, I try to find an empty office or conference room that I slip in to for prayer. I also work outside on the farm and I try to find an innocuous place such as behind a truck for prayer. Sometimes when I am traveling I do the same. I just start looking until I find a place where I feel safe and hidden.

Na7lah
05-03-2008, 10:50 PM
There isnt a clean place to pray and i think i may have problems getting away in order to pray properly. What do you guys do
just get a prayer mat or anything clean like that and u can pray on it.

Congradulations on becoming a muslim BTW :D
May Allah keep u strong.

Strzelecki
05-05-2008, 02:54 AM
Salamu alaikum brother, and Masha'Allah at your reversion. May Allah [swt] continue to guide you and keep you steadfast insha'Allah.
So glad to hear you said the shahada and insha'Allah take things slow. It's not necessary to burden and stress yourself by trying to learn everything at once, when it comes to Islam you will not stop learning for your entire life insha'Allah. :)
Learning to pray will take time, so take it at your own pace. :)

Do keep us posted and insha'Allah.

Abdul Fattah
05-05-2008, 11:48 AM

Thanks again to everyone who replied, it really helped a lot. As i learn more things more questions arise, which i guess is to be expected. Right now i am wondering how i pray when i am at work? There isnt a clean place to pray and i think i may have problems getting away in order to pray properly. What do you guys do? Thanks again!
There's different kind of clean/filth/impurities. If for example the best place you can find is in a dusty room, there's nothing wrong with that. Dust is dirt, but not impure. A bathroomfloor though, Is usually both dirt as well as impure. (a single drop of urine for example, that squated next to the pot and got carried along when someone stepped on it could invalidate your prayer). So if you can find a clean place that's always best, but if the only place available is dirty that shouldn't be a reason to not pray.

malayloveislam
05-05-2008, 04:37 PM

Sorry for my very late reply. Firstly thank you all for your kind words and suggestions. I went to the mosque two days ago to met with the imam at a mosque that is near by(well its 40 minutes away but still). I ended up saying the sahaba in front of the people that were there. It wasnt planned on my half but still i was happy to do it. He gave me some books that i have been going through but i am having a small problem, the arabic. I am trying to learn the salah properly but i am having troubles saying the arabic. It does have the arabic in roman letters but i am afraid i am not saying it properly. How did you guys learn it? And to be honest i dont know how i became interested in islam it just kind of happen. I always had an intrest but it never really came to light untill i got to hyderabad india. The place is dominated by islam and the first time i remember being drawn intentsly to islam was when i heard adhan my first day. It was so amazing and gave me a feeling of peace. Thanks again everyone, allah hafiz!

:w: (Wa3alaikumussalam) dear brother,

Congratulation for your reversion, you are very fortunate that Lord Allah had guide you and us toward Islam. Praise be to Him, you are actually a Muslim before you properly pronounce your Iman (faith). Islam is our Fitrah (nature) :)

For me, I am a Malay-Muslim in which we use Jawi script to write our language. It is based from Nasakh Arabic script.

This Jawi script helped us in learning the holy Quran, but sadly not many young generations today want to revive it because they feel easy with romanized Malay-Muslim and our government is emphasizing romanized Malay. This made many Malay-Muslim youngsters far from the learning of Quran and religious knowledges because many religious books were written in Malay with Arabic script and Arabic as the first source.

Our language history is almost the same as Urdu language and the history of its romanization is almost the same with Turkish. Urdu is using nasta3alik Arabic script.

Ancient Malay language was using Pallawa script introduced by south Indian brahmins before 7th century. After Malay kingdoms in South East Asia embraced Islam gradually, Malay language were also Islamisized by Muslim missionaries from Middle East and accepting Quranic vocabularies beside Persian loan words. Pallawa script were then disappear and replaced by Arabic based script until late 19th century :D Everything moves in a flow as Islam is not burdening all of us :statisfie

We learn Arabic script here at the beginning the same way we learn A, B, C. We listen to the pronunciation and we follow the teacher's pronunciation. For Quranic verses we recommend you to learn Arabic script's sound from Arabic software.

It is Ok to learn reciting simple Quranic verses such as Surah Al-Fatihah, Surah Al-Ikhlas, Surah Al-Falaq, and Surah An-Naas in romanised script at the beginning, Islam is not burdening human-being, it is actually an easy religion. You can ask the help of Muslim brothers in the mosque, I am sure they will be glad to help. I have an experience seeing a revert Japanese brother in the mosque at my place asking help from the other Muslims in the mosque to teach him reading simple Quranic verses and they happily racing to help that brother :D

Here is the link to the Surah Al-Ikhlas verses with Arabic script, I think it is recited slowly. You can listen to it first and the refer to the surahs with Roman script in the prayer book. After that you can compare it with the Arabic script. Hope it helps :)

http://www.islamicity.com/mosque/ara...80_114/112.htm

Arabic is the language of Muslim brotherhood and unity, it is not owned by the Arabs alone. Many Muslims including myself are still trying to learn and mastering Arabic, at least in understanding Al-Quran. Do not worry, Lord Allah will help you with your patience and you will move on gradually :statisfie beside learning Arabic in order to learn Quran, you had opened yourself towards mutilingual skills as many Muslims accept Quranic vocabularies in their native languages such as Urdu :thumbs_up

You can say your supplications after prayer in your mother tongue instead in Arabic as Lord Allah do understand every language spoken by His slaves :) Arabic is an obligation in prayer, but it is not so strict as not to burden the beginner. It is logic that we have to learn something first before we understand something :)

We pray for your succeed in reading and understanding Al-Quran, Amin!!!

Love to brothers and sisters

MKE Brother
05-15-2008, 12:27 AM
Congrats brother and welcome to the community. I am just to your west in Milwaukee, perhaps we can meet for prayers some day. I to am a recent (last fall) revert as well, I am sure we can both swap stories on how that has gone for us.

May Allah continue to guide you through this time.

Ghira
05-15-2008, 12:51 AM
Here is a good link to learn the basics

www.islam-guide.com

The important thing is to increase your knowledge about the religion and don't delay in becoming a Muslim (submitting yourself to God).
About going to the mosque it will benefit you to meet some brothers and tell them that you are interested in learning more. The best book to start is the Qur'an. The next step is to learn the Islamic beliefs (Aqeedah) and learn the basics of prayer. That should help you out a lot and don't be afraid to PM me or put your questions on the forum. May God guide us and increase us in beneficial knowledge. amen.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.