/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The man who grew a finger

seeker_of_ilm
04-30-2008, 05:11 PM
In every town in every part of this sprawling country you can find a faceless sprawling strip mall in which to do the shopping. Rarely though do would you expect to find a medical miracle working behind the counter of the mall's hobby shop. That however is what Lee Spievak considers himself to be. "I put my finger in," Mr Spievak says, pointing towards the propeller of a model airplane, "and that's when I sliced my finger off." It took the end right off, down to the bone, about half an inch. "We don't know where the piece went." The photos of his severed finger tip are pretty graphic. You can understand why doctors said he'd lost it for good. Today though, you wouldn't know it. Mr Spievak, who is 69 years old, shows off his finger, and it's all there, tissue, nerves, nail, skin, even his finger print.

'Pixie dust'

How? Well that's the truly remarkable part. It wasn't a transplant. Mr Spievak re-grew his finger tip. He used a powder - or pixie dust as he sometimes refers to it while telling his story. Mr Speivak's brother Alan - who was working in the field of regenerative medicine - sent him the powder. For ten days Mr Spievak put a little on his finger. "The second time I put it on I already could see growth. Each day it was up further. Finally it closed up and was a finger. "It took about four weeks before it was sealed." Now he says he has "complete feeling, complete movement." The "pixie dust" comes from the University of Pittsburgh, though in the lab Dr Stephen Badylak prefers to call it extra cellular matrix.

Pig's bladder

The process he has been pioneering over the last few years involves scraping the cells from the lining of a pig's bladder. The remaining tissue is then placed into acid, "cleaned" of all cells, and dried out. It can be turned into sheets, or a powder. It looks like a simple process, but of course the science is complex. "There are all sorts of signals in the body," explains Dr Badylak. "We have got signals that are good for forming scar, and others that are good for regenerating tissues. "One way to think about these matrices is that we have taken out many of the stimuli for scar tissue formation and left those signals that were always there anyway for constructive remodelling." In other words when the extra cellular matrix is put on a wound, scientists believe it stimulates cells in the tissue to grow rather than scar. If they can perfect the technique, it might mean one day they could repair not just a severed finger, but severely burnt skin, or even damaged organs.

Clinical trial

They hope soon to start a clinical trial in Buenos Aires on a woman who has cancer of the oesophagus. The normal procedure in such cases is often deadly. Doctors remove the cancerous portion and try to stretch the stomach lining up to meet the shortened oesophagus. In the trial they will place the extra cellular matrix inside the body from where the portion of oesophagus has been removed, and hope to stimulate the cells around it to re-grow the missing portion. So could limbs be re-grown? Dr Badylak is cautious, but believes the technology is potentially revolutionary. "I think that within ten years that we will have strategies that will re-grow the bones, and promote the growth of functional tissue around those bones. And that is a major step towards eventually doing the entire limb."That kind of talk has got the US military interested. They are just about to start trials to re-grow parts of the fingers of injured soldiers.

Skin burns

They also hope the matrix might help veterans like Robert Henline re-grow burnt skin. He was almost killed in an explosion while serving in Iraq. His four colleagues travelling with him in the army Humvee were all killed. He suffered 35% burns to his head and upper body. His ears are almost totally gone, the skin on his head has been burnt to the bone, his face is a swollen raw mess. So far he has undergone surgery 25 times. He reckons he has got another 30 to go. Anything that could be done in terms of regeneration would be great he says. "Life changing! I think I'm more scared of hospitals than I am of going back to Iraq again." Like any developing technology there are many unknowns. There are worries about encouraging cancerous growths by using the matrix. Doctors though believe that within the so called pixie dust lies an amazing medical discovery.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7354458.stm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ranma1/2
05-01-2008, 12:19 AM
interesting enough we can regrow them as kids and preteens naturally.

barney
05-01-2008, 12:28 AM
Well I guess that wraps up "why dosnt God Heal Amputees"
Now, through medical science, he has.

ranma1/2
05-01-2008, 12:50 AM
well finger tips at least. now he jsut needs to go up to the full missing limbs.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Malaikah
05-01-2008, 02:39 AM
And exactly who are you to tell God what He should and should not be doing?

barney
05-01-2008, 02:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
And exactly who are you to tell God what he should and should not be doing?
Where did i tell him what to do?
other people have. They pray for millenia for him to regenerate limbs, but now they can say that he does.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-01-2008, 03:47 AM
^^ I think she was referring to ranma :) lol

------
05-01-2008, 08:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ranma1/2
well finger tips at least. now he jsut needs to go up to the full missing limbs.
Hey

Now all you need to do is open your constriced heart and believe in God! Should be easy eh :D

ranma1/2
05-01-2008, 08:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Brok3n -
Hey

Now all you need to do is open your constriced heart and believe in God! Should be easy eh :D
Sorry god made me not believe in god, who are you to disagree with him?

------
05-01-2008, 08:41 AM
Hey

^ don't start that pre destiny daft argument, u know full well it makes sense. :mmokay:

And lets not spam the thread. If you wish to continue this discussion, please PM me.

Safe.

IbnAbdulHakim
05-01-2008, 09:39 AM
interesting...

Sorry god made me not believe in god, who are you to disagree with him?
but its all your fault :p

God is just and fair :D

Souljette
05-01-2008, 11:52 AM
lolll

جوري
05-01-2008, 06:50 PM
a follow up to the original...
:w:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...1/finger.claim

Regrown finger is 'junk science'

* David Batty and agencies
* guardian.co.uk,
* Thursday May 1 2008
* Article history

About this article
Close
This article was first published on guardian.co.uk on Thursday May 01 2008. It was last updated at 15:57 on May 01 2008.

A leading plastic surgeon today dismissed claims that a powder made from a pig's bladder caused the regrowth of a man's fingertip.

Professor Simon Kay, professor of hand surgery at the University of Leeds, said the claims by the US company that developed the powder were "junk science".

Lee Spievack, a hobby store salesman in Cincinnati, Ohio, has claimed the treatment stimulated the regrowth of his right hand middle fingertip, which was severed in 2005 by the propeller of a model plane.

Spievack, 69, described the powder as "pixie dust". It was developed by ACell - a company co-founded by his brother Alan, a former Harvard surgeon.

Within four weeks of using the preparation, he said his finger had regained its original length, and four months later "it looked like my normal finger".

But Kay, consultant plastic and hand surgeon at St James' University Hospital, Leeds, said Spievack's injury did not look to have been serious from studying before and after photos.

"It's a ridiculous story – absurd and over-egged in the extreme," Kay said. "It looked to have been an ordinary fingertip injury with quite unremarkable healing. All wounds go through a repair process."

ACell, the company behind the claim, said it had already used the extract of pig bladder to treat ulcers and other wounds, and to help regrow cartilage.

The powder was mostly collagen and a variety of substances, without any pig cells, said Dr Stephen Badylak, a regeneration researcher at the University of Pittsburgh and scientific adviser to ACell.

He said it formed microscopic scaffolding for human cells to occupy, and emitted chemical signals to encourage those cells to regenerate tissue. The signals did not specifically say "make a finger" but cells picked up that message from their surroundings, Badylak said.

"We're not smart enough to figure out how to regrow a finger," Badylak said. "Maybe what we can do is bring all the pieces of the puzzle to the right place and then let mother nature take its course.

"But we are very uninformed about how all of this works. There's a lot more that we don't know than we do know."

Kay said there was "no evidence" that ACell had manipulated the regenerative capabilities of the human body.

"There's no clinical evidence to support the claims," he said. "It really is junk science.

"If you could regenerate body parts like this, your first port of call would be a serious science journal like Nature because it would be a Nobel prize winning revolution."

British scientists have led the way in research into genetic treatments that could enable humans to regrow limbs damaged by accidents or surgery and allow patients to recover from wounds without scarring.

A charity, the Healing Foundation, which funds research into pioneering scientific techniques, set up a 25-year project in 2005 with the University of Manchester to advance the understanding of wound healing and tissue regeneration.

The Healing Foundation Centre aims to unravel the genetic quirks that allow certain amphibians, such as frogs and salamanders, to recover from severe injuries by generating fresh body tissue. By identifying the genetic mechanisms involved, the researchers hope to develop medical treatments that do the same in humans.

Professor Enrique Amaya, a tissue engineer at Manchester University and leader of the project, is investigating the regenerative capabilities of frogs. Frog embryos share the human embryo's ability to heal wounds without scars in a matter of hours. Frogs can also regrow appendages.

truemuslim
05-01-2008, 06:54 PM
looool this thread is now hilarius

and ranma... god doesnt make u not believe...wow
im not even gna try
peace

EDIT: forgot the on topic part

Woow subhannallah!

Cabdullahi
05-01-2008, 07:05 PM
22:73] O men! Here is a parable set forth! listen to it! Those on whom, besides Allah, ye call, cannot create (even) a fly, if they all met together for the purpose! and if the fly should snatch away anything from them, they would have no power to release it from the fly. Feeble are those who petition and those whom they petition.

22:74] No just estimate have they made of Allah: for Allah is He Who is strong and able to Carry out His Will.

35:5] O men! Certainly the promise of Allah is true. Let not then this present life deceive you, nor let the Chief Deceiver deceive you about Allah.

35:7] For those who reject Allah, is a terrible Penalty: but for those who believe and work righteous deeds, is Forgiveness, and a magnificent Reward.

35:36] But those who reject (Allah) - for them will be the Fire of Hell: No term shall be determined for them, so they should die, nor shall its Penalty be lightened for them. Thus do We reward every ungrateful one!

35:37] Therein will they cry aloud (for assistance): "Our Lord! Bring us out: we shall work righteousness, not the (deeds) we used to do!" - "Did We not give you long enough life so that he that would should receive admonition? and (moreover) the warner came to you. So taste ye (the fruits of your deeds): for the wrong-doers there is no helper."

Muezzin
05-04-2008, 08:20 PM
Dr Curt Connors didn't need no porky dust to regenerate his limb.

As an extra bonus, he can also transform into a handbag.

barney
05-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Was on Radio4 yesterday.

The finger lost 3/16ths of an inch. It healed over 3 years. No miracle, no surprises...just an overblown misreported case.

I thought God really had started healing amputees! Hooray, Ive got one of my Aggy-critisisms of monotheism back!

ranma1/2
05-05-2008, 07:54 AM
an interesting idea though. woudl muslims use medicine thatcould save their life it it had something forbidden in it?

or if it could heal you somehow?

Muezzin
05-05-2008, 11:04 AM
an interesting idea though. woudl muslims use medicine thatcould save their life it it had something forbidden in it?
Yes.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.