/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Refutation of Alleged Contradiction in 11:7

AntiKarateKid
05-05-2008, 04:45 PM
11:7 He it is Who created the heavens and the earth in six Days - and His Throne was over the waters - that He might try you, which of you is best in conduct...

Some say that there is a contradictin in this verse. They claim taht water could not have been there beofre the creation of the atmosphere.

Am I the only one who thinks taht when it is said that the throne was above the waters, taht it is implying after the creation when life started out in the oceean and his throne was above that?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
truemuslim
05-05-2008, 04:49 PM
Some english translations arent very accurate, so dont trust it completly
BUT
I think it meant AFTER he created it or AFTER the water was created....do u speak arabic?

------
05-05-2008, 04:50 PM
:salamext:

Tafsir of 11:7

Allah created the Heavens and the Earth in Six Days

Allah, the Exalted, informs of His power over all things, and that He created the heavens and the earth in six days. He mentions that His Throne was over the water before that, just as Imam Ahmad recorded that `Imran bin Husayn said, "The Messenger of Allah said,

«اقْبَلُوا الْبُشْرَى يَا بَنِي تَمِيم»

(Accept the glad tidings, O tribe of Tamim!) They said, `Verily you have brought us glad tidings and you have given us.' Then he said,

«اقْبَلُوا الْبُشْرَى يَا أَهْلَ الْيَمَن»

(Accept the glad tidings, O people of Yemen!) They said, `We accept. Therefore, inform us about the beginning of this matter and how it was.' He said,

«كَانَ اللهُ قَبْلَ كُلِّ شَيْءٍ، وَكَانَ عَرْشُهُ عَلَى الْمَاءِ، وَكَتَبَ فِي اللَّوْحِ الْمَحْفُوظِ ذِكْرَ كُلِّ شَيْء»

(Allah was before everything and His Throne was over the water. He then wrote in the Preserved Tablet mentioning everything.) Then a man came to me and said, "O `Imran, your she camel has escaped from her fetter.'' I then went out after her and I do not know what was said after I left.'' This Hadith has been recorded in the Two Sahihs of Al-Bukhari and Muslim with a variety of wordings. In Sahih Muslim, it is recorded that `Abdullah bin `Amr bin Al-`As said that the Messenger of Allah said,

«إِنَّ اللهَ قَدَّرَ مَقَادِيرَ الْخَلَائِقِ قَبْلَ أَنْ يَخْلُقَ السَّموَاتِ وَالْأَرْضَ بِخَمْسِينَ أَلْفَ سَنَةٍ وَكَانَ عَرْشُهُ عَلَى الْمَاء»

(Verily Allah measured the amount of sustenance of the creatures fifty thousand years before He created the heavens and the earth, and His Throne was over the water.) Under the explanation of this verse, Al-Bukhari recorded from Abu Hurayrah that the Messenger of Allah said,

«قَالَ اللهُ عَزَّ وَجَلَّ: أَنْفِقْ أُنْفِقْ عَلَيْك»

(Allah, the Mighty and Sublime, said, `Spend and I will spend on you.') And he said,

«يَدُ اللهِ مَلْأَى لَا يَغِيضُهَا نَفَقَةٌ، سَحَّاءُ اللَّيْلَ وَالنَّهَار»

(Allah's Hand is full, and it is not diminished by spending throughout the night and the day.) He also said,

«أَفَرَأَيْتُمْ مَا أَنْفَقَ مُنْذُ خَلَقَ السَّموَاتِ وَالْأَرْضَ فَإِنَّهُ لَمْ يَغِضْ مَا فِي يَمِينِهِ، وَكَانَ عَرْشُهُ عَلَى الْمَاءِ، وَبِيَدِهِ الْمِيزَانُ يَخْفِضُ وَيَرْفَع»

(Have you seen what has been spent since the creation of the heavens and the earth Verily it does not diminish what is in His Right Hand (in the slightest) and His Throne was over the water. In His Hand is the Scale and he lowers and raises it.) Concerning Allah's statement,

[لِيَبْلُوَكُمْ أَيُّكُمْ أَحْسَنُ عَمَلاً]

(that He might try you, which of you is the best in deeds.) This means that He created the heavens and the earth for the benefit of His servants, whom He created so that they may worship Him and not associate anything with Him as a partner. Allah did not create this creation (of the heavens and the earth) out of mere frivolity. This is similar to His statement,

[وَمَا خَلَقْنَا السَّمَآءَ وَالاٌّرْضَ وَمَا بَيْنَهُمَا بَـطِلاً ذَلِكَ ظَنُّ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُواْ فَوَيْلٌ لِّلَّذِينَ كَفَرُواْ مِنَ النَّارِ ]

(And We created not the heaven and the earth and all that is between them without purpose! That is the consideration of those who disbelieve! Then woe to those who disbelieve from the Fire!) [38: 27] Allah the Exalted, said,

[أَفَحَسِبْتُمْ أَنَّمَا خَلَقْنَـكُمْ عَبَثاً وَأَنَّكُمْ إِلَيْنَا لاَ تُرْجَعُونَ - فَتَعَـلَى اللَّهُ الْمَلِكُ الْحَقُّ لاَ إِلَـهَ إِلاَّ هُوَ رَبُّ الْعَرْشِ الْكَرِيمِ ]

(Did you think that We created you in play (without any purpose), and that you would not be brought back to Us So Exalted is Allah, the True King: there is no God but He, the Lord of the Supreme Throne!) [23:115-116] Allah, the Exalted, said,

[وَمَا خَلَقْتُ الْجِنَّ وَالإِنسَ إِلاَّ لِيَعْبُدُونِ ]

(And I (Allah) created not the Jinn and mankind except that they should worship Me (Alone).) [51:56] Concerning the statement of Allah,

[لِيَبْلُوَكُمْ]

(that He might try you,) It means so that He (Allah) may test you. Concerning the statement,

[أَيُّكُمْ أَحْسَنُ عَمَلاً]

(which of you is the best in deeds.) It is important to note here that Allah did not say, "Which of you has done the most deeds.'' Rather, He said, "Best in deeds.'' A deed cannot be considered a good deed until it is done sincerely for Allah, the Mighty and Sublime, and it must be in accordance with the legislation of the Messenger of Allah . Whenever a deed lacks one of these conditions, then it is null and void.
Source

--

Use www.tafsir.com - it comes in handy sometimes...

Whatsthepoint
05-05-2008, 05:07 PM
I can't find any contradiction in the English verse. It says Allah created the heavens and the earth, which includes the atmospehere, the oceans etc, and put a throne (or whatever it symbolizes) over the waters afterwards. Unless the verse in Arabic directly implies the throne was over the waters all along, from the beginning, there's no contradiction.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
- Qatada -
05-05-2008, 05:52 PM

It is reported on the authority of Al-'Abbas (ra) that Allah's Messenger

said:

"Do you know what is the distance between the heaven and the earth?" We said: "Allah and His Messenger

know best." He

said: "The distance between them is five hundred years and the distance between one heaven and the next is five hundred years and the dimension of each heaven would take five hundred years to travel and there is a sea between the seventh heaven and the `Arsh which has between its lowest and highest ends the distance equvalent to that between the heavens and the earth. And Allah , Most High, is above that and nothing is withheld from Him of the deeds of the sons of Adam."
(Narrated by Abu Dawood and others)

Allah's Messenger

informs us in this Hadith that the distance between each of the seven heavens is equivalent to five hundred years' travel and the distance between the earth and the lowest heaven is also equivalent to five hundred years' travel and between the seventh heaven and the `Arsh is a like distance and that the breadth of each heaven is likewise five hundred years and that Allah is above His `Arsh and nothing of His creation is hidden from Him.

http://www.islamicweb.com/beliefs/cr...T1-chap-64.htm

There is a sea or water between the 7th heaven and Allah's Throne ['Arsh.]

We don't know the 'howness' [kayfa] of these things since they're part of the unseen.

truemuslim
05-05-2008, 06:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
I can't find any contradiction in the English verse. It says Allah created the heavens and the earth, which includes the atmospehere, the oceans etc, and put a throne (or whatever it symbolizes) over the waters afterwards. Unless the verse in Arabic directly implies the throne was over the waters all along, from the beginning, there's no contradiction.

:eek: wow

:)
Wasalaam

Umar001
05-05-2008, 06:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AntiKarateKid
They claim taht water could not have been there beofre the creation of the atmosphere.
Out of curiosity why is that?

- Qatada -
05-05-2008, 06:19 PM
Some say that there is a contradictin in this verse. They claim taht water could not have been there beofre the creation of the atmosphere.
This water is referring to a water below Allah's throne, not the water of this world. And Allah knows best.

AntiKarateKid
05-05-2008, 06:47 PM
First off, thanks ALOT for the quick responses. I know I can always bring my questions here for answers. Second, WOW my spelling was BAD!! I was typing that quickly before running to class heh...

Third, these days everytime I surf the web about the Quran, sites fcome up claiming contradictions, and you know how it is with Google, you get to see a snippet of the site's words under the websites URL. Everytime I see that I start compulsively examining them to disprove them, otherwise I can't rest. I feel that I am putting too much consideration into the claims of kuffars who talk against the Quran. Any help on resolving this dilemma?

- Qatada -
05-05-2008, 07:24 PM

Bro, you have to learn to ignore it lol :) cuz trust me, otherwise you're throwing yourself into a pool of confusion, i'd rather that you learn through learning instead of questioning without having any clear answers - which might even cause doubt and weakness in faith.

That's my advice to you bro.

AntiKarateKid
05-05-2008, 11:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
Out of curiosity why is that?
Greetings brother, the controversy stemmed from something like this: THe heavens and the earth were created in six periods AND Allah's ( SWT) throne was above the waters. So they said that there wasn't water int he beginning of the formation of the earth, there was water only after a certain time, such as after the atmosphere being formed and such.

The explanation bro Qatada gave is very convincing. Perhaps then Allah ( SWT) was referring to the sea between the heavens, the other interpretation is that the verse is just saying that Allah is referring to the throne after the creation of the earth up to the point of containing water. Kinda confusing but what do you think?

asadxyz
05-06-2008, 07:04 AM
Greetings brother, the controversy stemmed from something like this: THe heavens and the earth were created in six periods AND Allah's ( SWT) throne was above the waters. So they said that there wasn't water int he beginning of the formation of the earth, there was water only after a certain time, such as after the atmosphere being formed and such.

The explanation bro Qatada gave is very convincing. Perhaps then Allah ( SWT) was referring to the sea between the heavens, the other interpretation is that the verse is just saying that Allah is referring to the throne after the creation of the earth up to the point of containing water. Kinda confusing but what do you think?
Dear brother
These people create such confusion for their anti - islamic agenda.

Look at this verse :
وَهُوَ الَّذِي خَلَق السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالأَرْضَ فِي سِتَّةِ أَيَّامٍ وَ كَانَ عَرْشُهُ عَلَى الْمَاء
These are in fact two sentences connected by "waw". In Arabic "faa" and "thumma" are also used for connection .But there is a difference in their meaning
- 'Waw" does show that two events are happening without showing their temporal sequence e.g if you say

جاء عمر و بكر
Literally it means Umar and Bakr came. But it does not show who came first.It is possible that Bakr came first and Umar later or opposite.But if you say
جاء عمر ثم بكر
Now here it clearly shows that Umar came first then Bakr .Same is the case with word "faa".
What I want to sayis that in the above Quranic verse if some sentence is coming after another sentence by being connected through waw ,does not mean the event in the first sentece happened first ,and event in the second sentence happened later.It can be other way round as I told you above.

Secondly ,the word كا ن in the second sentence needs elaboration . No doubt one of its meaning is "was " but other meaning is "Is" e.g.
إِنَّ اللَّهَ كَانَ غَفُورًا رَحِيمًا [النساء/23]

You will translate it as ,Indeed ,God IS forgiving and Merciful" not as "God WAS forgiving and merciful"
Hope it helps

------
05-06-2008, 09:04 AM

Dont u think it would be better If we spent more time thinking and changing ourselves, rather than going deep and asking unnecessary questions (that will weaken our faith)...?

Just a thought...dont jump down my throat...

MSalman
05-08-2008, 09:22 PM
^Wa'alykum As-Salam sister
knowledge increases your imaan just like the verse of the Qur'an says that the people with more knowledge have more taqwa [interpretation of the meaning]. The more harder questions you will be able to answer--posted by enemies of Islam--the stronger your imaan becomes. Maybe that's just me, it could differ from person to person.

As-Salamu 'Alaykum

barney
05-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Dosnt this link to Genisis where Gods spirit was hovering over the waters before the earth was formed.
If so, then God seperates these waters in genisis 1.2 i think and creates land.
Hence it's a worldly water if this is the case.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.