/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What is the purpose of poetry?

Pk_#2
05-10-2008, 11:21 AM
^^

:exhausted

I mean I thought It might be to entertain, but these poems are quite dud, pls help. Loq

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Souljette
05-10-2008, 11:27 AM
which poems are

'Abd al-Baari
05-10-2008, 11:28 AM
Assalamu Alaykum Warahamtullahi Wabarakaatuh,

Which poems ukhtee?

Anyways found these reasons on Google

Esthetics
The music of language, intricate rhyme schemes, elegant phrases, vivid images - the art of poetry is enough to inspire many to write it.
There is no earthly reason for the existence of Shelley's poem, "To a Skylark" - except that it sounds beautiful. Edgar Allen Poe could have had no reason to write "The Bells" except delight in the music of it -- unless he was cackling with glee over the prospect of generations of readers being driven up the walls by his repetitions.

Which leads into the second category ...

To Have an Effect
Many writers are frustrated hams. We want to "make 'em laugh; make 'em cry." We want to reach out and touch someone -- arouse them to sensuous passion, make them shudder in dread of creepy things in the shadows, enrage them, soothe them. Just to prove we can.
Which leads into ...

Showing Off
Intricate rhyme schemes; alternating trochaic hexameter and anapestic octometer; vivid flights of imagery that leave stunned readers asking, "Huh? Whazzat?" There are many ways to indulge the urge to Show Off, in poetry.

Persuasion

"A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down." From satirizing your enemies to promoting your heroes, teaching ethics or arithmetic on Sesame Street or selling cat food, millennia of persuaders have found that people listen to and remember words couched in rhythm and rhyme, and phrased entertainingly.

Communication
This is closely related to the urge to have an effect, or to persuade, but not identical.
I have been writing poetry for a lot longer than I have been writing prose. Often, in conversation, I will want to express an idea - and I know just the poem for it. If it is inappropriate to interject a poem right then, and I have to translate the poem to prose, I feel frustrated. I am convinced the poem said it better.

I have been accused of Showing Off, by reciting too many of my own poems in conversation, but it is hard for me to understand the accusation. To me, the purpose of poetry is communication - I'm just trying to communicate.

This illustrates one of the benefits to understanding a wider variety of the purposes of poetry. People can become confused by another's poetry, if it does not seem to pursue what THEY consider poetry's purpose. A person who believes that the whole reason for writing poetry is to create esthetic works of art, is baffled by the existence of Therapy Poetry. A person who believes that the whole purpose of poetry is to explore and express your innermost feelings, tries to read much more into flight-of-imagery poetry, or parodies, than was ever intended.

This can be frustrating. Leading into ...

Venting
Large numbers of poems are written to vent emotion: anger, anxiety, grief, longing, homesickness, love, lust. Exasperation with red tape. Annoyance at bus drivers. The overwhelming absurdity of a restaurant sign you just saw. All kinds of feelings that you have to express or bust.

Exploration
This is related to Venting, but more extended.
It may not be true that all humans always think in words, but certainly much of what passes for thinking in most of us is in words. And many of us find it easier to clarify our thoughts and our feelings if we talk them over with someone -- or just ourselves.

Free-associating on paper -- which poetry is an excellent way to do -- we can often startle ourselves with insights.

Pouring out an emotion can help us not only relieve it, but eventually understand it better; come to resolution of grief, or rage, and move on.

And sometimes just having something out in print at last can be a relief:

It Was There
Sometimes a poem just comes to you. Then you have to write it down. Then you have to share it. This is part of what being a poet is. (This is also part of what being highly annoyed by poets is.)
Hope they help and not make things worse^ :p

WaAlaykumus Salaam

Pk_#2
05-10-2008, 11:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Baari
Assalamu Alaykum Warahamtullahi Wabarakaatuh,

Which poems ukhtee?

Anyways found these reasons on Google

Hope they help and not make things worse^ :p

WaAlaykumus Salaam
WalaykumSalaam wArahmatullahi Wabarakatuh,

JazakAllahu khairun guys,

You know for GCSE you use that anthology thing? I duno if you remember, but the poems by Simon Armitage,

Argh I hate work, I had breakfast twice today but this work is making me fall asleep, Loq.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
------
05-10-2008, 11:32 AM
:salamext:

Purpose of poetry is to help you view things from another person's perspective, by exploring the other person's feelings.

Pk_#2
05-10-2008, 11:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Brok3n -

Purpose of poetry is to help you view things from another person's perspective, by exploring the other person's feelings.
WalaykumSalaam Warahmatullahi Wabaraktuh,

Isn't that too long of a purpose,

I thought it was meant to fit into things like inform/persuade/entertain etc.

:thumbs_up JazakiAllah khair.

'Abd al-Baari
05-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Assalamu Alaykum Warahmatullah,

Lol, i just handed my Poetry Coursework in last week :p but the poems were by Lawrence Ferlinghetti & Tatamkhulu Afrika.

What is the question that you have to answer?

:w:

Pk_#2
05-10-2008, 11:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Baari
Assalamu Alaykum Warahmatullah,

Lol, i just handed my Poetry Coursework in last week :p but the poems were by Lawrence Ferlinghetti & Tatamkhulu Afrika.

What is the question that you have to answer?

AsalamuAlaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh,

Ohh I like them poets they have nice poems, there is no question I'm menno analyse them, it's in for Wednesday but I can't even start it, 'cause I duno the purpose,

Can a purpose be: to create sympathy?

Cause one is about death.

One is I think meant to be funny, but its not working: can it be to create humour?

And the third one is just plain stoopid.

-Fady-
05-10-2008, 11:53 AM
what's "Loq" ? laugh on queue? laugh out quietly? always wanna ask...sorry

to keep on-topic: I hate poetry done at school, I only like arabic (Islamic) poetry...and Islamic english poetry...but mostly arabic...

------
05-10-2008, 11:57 AM

^ Laugh out quietly. It's an LI thing loq :D

Muezzin
05-10-2008, 11:59 AM
Ever read 'The Raven' by Edgar Allen Poe? That told me everything I ever needed to know about poetry. Google it.

Simon Armitage is also pretty dang good. I like when he described a pigeon's spreading tail feathers - 'pick a card, any card'.

-Fady-
05-10-2008, 12:02 PM

^ Laugh out quietly. It's an LI thing loq :D
oh, thing is it doesn't sound good like lol. cause I actually say "lol" not "l" "o" "l"

loq sounds weird

EDIT: I mean I "read" it as lol...I don't actually say lol while talking

Pk_#2
05-10-2008, 12:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Ever read 'The Raven' by Edgar Allen Poe? That told me everything I ever needed to know about poetry. Google it.

Simon Armitage is also pretty dang good. I like when he described a pigeon's spreading tail feathers - 'pick a card, any card'.
No I havn't read that one, but he's a good poet, ma teachers fav Loq,

Man what a bad idea going out now, I got tan lol, I forgot about the pc, anyone in Lu'on? Boycott the plaza!

I will google it jazakAllah khair,

AsalamuAlaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.

IbnAbdulHakim
05-10-2008, 01:00 PM
the question itself sounds poetic lol

and i dont get it *confused*

i always thought its to provoke thought and sometimes it just sounds nice when you read it

barney
05-10-2008, 01:09 PM
How does poetry differ from music?

------
05-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Welll....... music has musical instruments being played in it ? :p

Pk_#2
05-10-2008, 01:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
the question itself sounds poetic lol

and i dont get it *confused*

i always thought its to provoke thought and sometimes it just sounds nice when you read it
AsalamuAlaykum IbnAbd'hakim,

Ya thanks,

Ima natural then! jazakAllah I'll re arrange and word the last bit and add it in!

Pk_#2
05-10-2008, 01:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by barney
Hiya Barn,

Poetry is like words and Music is like notes? Ok I don't really know but they're different,

Sorry - Was that question menno help me? *scratch head*

barney
05-10-2008, 01:22 PM
What about accapella. Thats got no musical instruments!

Plus is'nt the whole idea of music being haram that it takes your mind off God, when all thoughts should be directed towards him.
A lot of poetry is not praising god, its talking about love, death, joy anger, beauty, human things.

I'm just uncertain why poetry has never been considered haram by the scholors.

Pk_#2
05-10-2008, 01:25 PM
Then it's not music, it is a song,

Bro what has this got to do with my work, no offence or nothing,

The scholars know what they are doing, please no disrespect man, there is good and bad in everything, there is good poetry and bad poetry, we have brains to avoid the not so good ones.

------
05-10-2008, 01:52 PM

Plus is'nt the whole idea of music being haram that it takes your mind off God, when all thoughts should be directed towards him.
A lot of poetry is not praising god, its talking about love, death, joy anger, beauty, human things.

I'm just uncertain why poetry has never been considered haram by the scholors.
Sorry sis Happy, let me clear barney's doubts.

There is no harm in writing fiction, be it stories or poems, as long as it is written for a good purpose or for brushing aside evil, like stories where animals speak as if they are humans or take on allegorical roles. The criterion here is that authenticated matters of the religion should be kept intact. Also, this writing should not be taken as a means to an evil end, and no evil consequence should result from this writing. In Islam, “harm should neither be inflicted nor tolerated” as is stated in the Hadith.
Source - Writing Fiction & Poetry: What Does Islam Say?

------
05-10-2008, 01:53 PM

Bro what has this got to do with my work, no offence or nothing,
It would be better, if you spend time googling it and doing the work, instead of chilling on LI, no?

barney
05-10-2008, 02:00 PM
Sorry, yeah it's probably not that helpful. :)
I was just curious why the distinction between the two.

Work computors are designed for three things in order of importance.
1) Load Islam Forums
2) E-Bay
3) The stuff your employer wants you to do....but only when E-bay and L.I are down.

Pk_#2
05-10-2008, 02:03 PM

It would be better, if you spend time googling it and doing the work, instead of chilling on LI, no?
WalaykumSalaam Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh,

Sorry, yeah it's probably not that helpful. :)

Sorry sis Happy, let me clear barney's doubts.
Iz cool,

Yah sis, I am doing my work honest! besides I'm a fast typer and I have 3 days to do it and I thought my brothers and sisters will help me.

P.s bro Muezzin google gave me great ideas! JazakAllah khair.

Na7lah
05-10-2008, 09:13 PM
one of my fav poems :D
u should read more of his poems they're so eloquently written

one reason i like poetry is cuz u can give one poem to a couple of people and they'll all interpret it in their own way

Fishman
05-10-2008, 09:24 PM
:sl:
Western poetry is generally very different from music or song. More like artwork with language rather than pictures. In 'Islamic civilisation', there is less of a difference. Naats (Urdu poems about Islam) are so similar to songs that I'm sure the reason that people call it poetry rather than song is just because they don't want it to be seen as music.
That's not saying anything bad about Naats. I love naats. Modern naats and ancient naats have the unique quality of being equally aestheticially pleasing. I don't really feel the same way when comparing Shakespeare and the Lord of the Flies.

barney
05-10-2008, 09:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
:sl:
Western poetry is generally very different from music or song. More like artwork with language rather than pictures. In 'Islamic civilisation', there is less of a difference. Naats (Urdu poems about Islam) are so similar to songs that I'm sure the reason that people call it poetry rather than song is just because they don't want it to be seen as music.
That's not saying anything bad about Naats. I love naats. Modern naats and ancient naats have the unique quality of being equally aestheticially pleasing. I don't really feel the same way when comparing Shakespeare and the Lord of the Flies.
Okei, thanks dude.:)

crayon
05-11-2008, 12:36 PM
Poetry, like all other arts, is a form of expression.

Pk_#2
05-11-2008, 04:39 PM
Is the following a proverb:

'It's a jungle out there'

Muezzin
05-11-2008, 04:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Happy
Is the following a proverb:

'It's a jungle out there'
Technically, since it's a 'short saying stating a general truth or piece of advice' -(Oxford definition)

But to me, it's more just a metaphor. To me, proverbs are metaphors that seek to advise rather than just state a general point. So in my opinion, something like 'A rolling stone gathers no moss' is more of a proverb.

Anyway, work hard on your essay!

sevgi
05-11-2008, 04:51 PM
salams

image this ppl. please...

a man is born. he grows up in a way unique to all others. he experiences things diffrently to others. he feels, sees, hears, thinks and does things which noone will ever know about.

then one day he finds a blank piece of paper. he picks up a pen...and begins to write...

all the things noone will ever know are between the lines of his every sentence...every stanza...you just have to know how to read it...

he expresses what is within..and what is within is his soul...

poetry is something i will never allow to be picked on. lets not ruin it with our silliness.poetry is not haram.

Pk_#2
05-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Technically, since it's a 'short saying stating a general truth or piece of advice' -(Oxford definition)

But to me, it's more just a metaphor. To me, proverbs are metaphors that seek to advise rather than just state a general point. So in my opinion, something like 'A rolling stone gathers no moss' is more of a proverb.
Ok I'm just gonna say it's a metaphor then, jazakAllah,

Anyway, work hard on your essay!
I am, google is my best friend!

Pk_#2
05-11-2008, 05:11 PM
'Spread your wings' when said to the audience is it personification? It can't be can it? *waks head on the wall several times* or is it animalification? Omg I think I'm losing it!

Muezzin
05-11-2008, 05:14 PM
'Spread your wings' when said to the audience is it personification?
No. The audience is already a person or people. Personification is when you give something non-human human characteristics.

or is it animalification? Omg I think I'm losing it!
Er... it's just a metaphor.

sevgi
05-11-2008, 05:20 PM
by the way..simon armitage is great...

its good to be able to associate a face to poems. the fact that he dresess his poetry with his oratory authenticates and adds that extra kick of bias.

i love bias in poetry.

his best poem has got to be 'The Shout'

http://www.poetryarchive.org/poetrya...m.do?poemId=88

Pk_#2
05-11-2008, 05:24 PM
No. The audience is already a person or people. Personification is when you give something non-human human characteristics.

Er... it's just a metaphor.
Are you messing about?! Okay if you say so, 3 paragraphs on friggin metaphors it is. JazakAllah.

JazakiAllah khair Summeye for link.

sevgi
05-11-2008, 05:57 PM
i dno exactly wat ur essay is on bt u cud also also talk abt 'spread ur wings' as 'direct speech' to the audience.

this may be linked to animalisation..if u push ur chances. u'd have to risk making a mess..

upon reading 'spread ur wings', the audience is urged to engage in the practice of this statement. seeing as this is 'direct speech', the term 'your' may be ambraced by the reader, urging them to follow the poets orders, regardless of the fact that they do not have wings. in this way, it may be said that the readers themselves allude to animosity due to the poets direct speech.

along with metaphore, u cud talk abt 'provocative and high modality language. the line 'spread ur wings' is an order or command from the poet. this further portrays the poets authority over the characters in the poem and the realm in which they exist, the readers and also the poem as a whole.

you can connect all this to the purpose of poetry right? something about imagined worlds vs real worlds...and the power struggle all men yearn through...thus the urgency for authority as displayed by the line 'spread ur wings'...

very badly articulated i know. bt its almost 4am here.

hope that helps.

Pk_#2
05-11-2008, 08:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sumeyye
i dno exactly wat ur essay is on bt u cud also also talk abt 'spread ur wings' as 'direct speech' to the audience.

this may be linked to animalisation..if u push ur chances. u'd have to risk making a mess..

upon reading 'spread ur wings', the audience is urged to engage in the practice of this statement. seeing as this is 'direct speech', the term 'your' may be ambraced by the reader, urging them to follow the poets orders, regardless of the fact that they do not have wings. in this way, it may be said that the readers themselves allude to animosity due to the poets direct speech.

along with metaphore, u cud talk abt 'provocative and high modality language. the line 'spread ur wings' is an order or command from the poet. this further portrays the poets authority over the characters in the poem and the realm in which they exist, the readers and also the poem as a whole.

you can connect all this to the purpose of poetry right? something about imagined worlds vs real worlds...and the power struggle all men yearn through...thus the urgency for authority as displayed by the line 'spread ur wings'...

very badly articulated i know. bt its almost 4am here.

hope that helps.
Lol, how did you get all that out of a phrase?

Well done.

sevgi
05-12-2008, 04:20 AM
Lol, how did you get all that out of a phrase?

Well done.
lol...i dnt think this is good for my ego:P

umm..it sort of comes naturally. ive done it too many times. i am a third year literature stdnt:)

i guess that explains it a bit...

thanks for the compliment. its actually quite easy...

just ask urself...after each line.."how did that make me feel?"...the ask ur self "why?" then ask urself "how did the poet do it?" and "why wud he do such a thing?"...

something like that...remeber that YOU are the audience...just justify the way you feel...:)

w/s

Pk_#2
05-12-2008, 10:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sumeyye
lol...i dnt think this is good for my ego:P

umm..it sort of comes naturally. ive done it too many times. i am a third year literature stdnt:)

i guess that explains it a bit...

thanks for the compliment. its actually quite easy...

just ask urself...after each line.."how did that make me feel?"...the ask ur self "why?" then ask urself "how did the poet do it?" and "why wud he do such a thing?"...

something like that...remeber that YOU are the audience...just justify the way you feel...:)

w/s
3rd year? In university? Why oh why would you want to torture yourself like that?!

Loq jazakiAllah khair sis.

Pk_#2
05-12-2008, 12:29 PM
you know dem fings where each letter at the beginning of the sentence makes a word what is it called?

P-pretty
a-adorable
G-girl
a-always
L-laughing

K-KOOL
u-understanding
R-REALLY NICE
i-individual

Pk_#2
05-12-2008, 12:38 PM
Ohh bumpety bump.

crayon
05-12-2008, 12:48 PM
What you're referring to is called an acronym.

czgibson
05-12-2008, 12:53 PM
Greetings,
you know dem fings where each letter at the beginning of the sentence makes a word what is it called?

P-pretty
a-adorable
G-girl
a-always
L-laughing

K-KOOL
u-understanding
R-REALLY NICE
i-individual
If the words are arranged vertically, as you've written them there, or perhaps as lines of poetry or prose, then it's called an acrostic.

That's different from an acronym, whose precise definition is disputed, but which generally refers to:

a series of initial letters that happen to form a word [E.g.: World Health Organisation = WHO],

or whose initials are later used by people as shorthand for the object or idea itself. [Such as "self-contained underwater breathing apparatus", which is generally known as "scuba" purely because that is what the initials happen to spell out.]

Hope that helps.

Btw, you're the first person I've heard of who didn't like Simon Armitage's poems. I've taught them loads of times and normally they go down really well with students.

You're welcome to ask me for help if you need it, although I can't promise to answer promptly as work keeps me away from the forum most of the time.

In the meantime, here's an excellent site that you should find helpful.

Peace

Pk_#2
05-12-2008, 02:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

If the words are arranged vertically, as you've written them there, or perhaps as lines of poetry or prose, then it's called an acrostic.

That's different from an acronym, whose precise definition is disputed, but which generally refers to:

a series of initial letters that happen to form a word [E.g.: World Health Organisation = WHO],

or whose initials are later used by people as shorthand for the object or idea itself. [Such as "self-contained underwater breathing apparatus", which is generally known as "scuba" purely because that is what the initials happen to spell out.]

Hope that helps.

Btw, you're the first person I've heard of who didn't like Simon Armitage's poems. I've taught them loads of times and normally they go down really well with students.

You're welcome to ask me for help if you need it, although I can't promise to answer promptly as work keeps me away from the forum most of the time.

Peace
It's not an accronym or abbreviation, they are not usually just a word sis Sumeye,

It might be an acrostic,

*does some research*

Oh he has nice poems, it's just I dun like doing work on them Loq,

JazakiAllah khair Sumeye and Thanks Czgibson.

Pk_#2
05-12-2008, 02:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

Hope that helps.

Peace
Omdays that website is awesome, thanks a lot!

You can have a rep now Lol,

Peace.

sevgi
05-15-2008, 05:31 AM
sori for not replying to ur acronym/acrostic question...i couldnt get on the net,...

as for me doing literature at uni..well, i love it..and i happen to be good at it..bt my passion is medieval history...

the pleasure was all mine.

jazakallah khayr to you too:)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.