/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Learn to speak southern Thai

malayloveislam
05-12-2008, 05:20 PM
:sl:

Peace be upon everyone and Sawaddeekrab!

I try to open this new thread for southern Thai dialect by the suggestion of brother northern-malaysian. This thread is for everyone who is interested in Southern Thai dialect which is spoken in northern Malaysia and southern Thailand.

I am not good in Standard Thai and sorry we do not have Thai font here. I use roman script as everyone can read and practice it with Thai speakers. The dialect that we use in Kedah and northern Malaysia is called Pak Thai or Southern Thai.

Thai is a tonal language as chinese with brahmi script. There are five tone in Thai. Hope you enjoy learning Thai, it is easy and without complicated grammar :D

Sentences for today

Allah pein Pinchau khong rau lek Muhammad pein phunam Saksena khong rau, rau cheather Allah lek Rasulullah.

Allah is our Lord and Muhammad is our prophet, we believe in Allah and His messenger

Sukwan mi ched pratoo.

Heaven have seven doors

Pin chau, Praphu (Prabhu) : God

khong rau : our

lek : and

pein : is, are, become

cheather : believe

Phunam saksena : the leader of religion, nabi

Love to brothers and sisters in faith

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
north_malaysian
05-13-2008, 07:07 AM
sawaddee khub!

:D

khob khun khub!:thumbs_up

malayloveislam
05-13-2008, 10:06 AM

Mai pein rai

You are welcome :)

malayloveislam
05-13-2008, 10:54 AM

Pok, Hassan ee klab ban nee...pok au sang arai mhai?

Dad, Hassan want to return home now...dad want to order anything?

Pak,Hassan nak balik rumah ni... pak nak pesan apa dak?

Ayah, Hassan hendak pulang sekarang...ayah hendak pesan apa-apa kah?

Mek sebai dee?? Naan ching Hussin mai pob mek.

How are you mom?? Long time Hussin never meet mom.

Mak baik kah? lama sunggoh Hussin tak jumpa mak.

Emak apa khabar? lama benar Hussin tidak berjumpa dengan emak.

The first sentence is in Thai. The second is the translation in English. The third is in Kedah dialect. The last one is in Malay standard.

Hope brothers and sisters enjoy speaking southern Thai dialect.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muslim Knight
05-13-2008, 01:43 PM
This is difficult. Susah nyaa!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_b_nHhHdMSw

This is to keep you guys entertained.

Amat Allah
05-13-2008, 02:00 PM
Asalamo Alikom

thank you my dear it is a beautiful and intrusting thread mashaa Allah ...

it seems like Kedah dialect is much easier than Thai ...

I think I`ve heard an Indonesian woman talking in Kedah dialect I don`t know???

anyway, may Allah protect you my dear from hell and reward you with the paradise..

Ameeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

malayloveislam
05-13-2008, 06:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Knight
This is difficult. Susah nyaa!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_b_nHhHdMSw

This is to keep you guys entertained.

hahaha the video is awfully funny....that is creative :thumbs_up

At first it is difficult, you can learn Thai slowly through Kedah dialect don worry :statisfie there are many common things in Kedah dialect and Thai. You can check your Thai skill by practicing it while buying table or jeans in Padang Besar or Wang Kelian :D

Sieo tock ee

Buy table

Beli meja

Beli meja

Tock ee thuk thuk thi Padang Besar

Tables are cheap in Padang Besar

Meja morah-morah di Padang Besaq

Meja di Padang Besar murah-murah

hahaha, cant stop laughing watching that video :giggling:

Thanks sister, khop khun khrap maak... welcome to southern Thai thread, hope you enjoy learning Thai. May Islam slowly slip into Thai culture through the language that we as the muslims use, Amin.

north_malaysian
05-16-2008, 01:22 AM
what's the meaning of "mei dai" and "sia dai"?

syilla
05-16-2008, 04:54 AM
if only i can hear the word that you are saying...then it'll be easier...especially the 'melody'... lol

north_malaysian
05-16-2008, 08:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amat Allah

it seems like Kedah dialect is much easier than Thai ...
Of course... If you know Malay or Indonesian language...

format_quote Originally Posted by Amat Allah
I think I`ve heard an Indonesian woman talking in Kedah dialect I don`t know???
Many Indonesians and Bangladeshis in the northern region could speak a lil bit in Kedah dialect.

Qurratul Ayn
05-16-2008, 09:00 AM
:salamext:

I'm hooked and intrigued. . . . . .

I will definitely start to learn Southern Thai! Make Du'a!

north_malaysian
05-16-2008, 09:29 AM
khop khun khrap = Southern Thai
khob khun khub = ?:?

Selising
05-16-2008, 03:00 PM
Khob Khun Kaaa (thanks to a lady)
Khob Khun Kap (thanks to a man)
Khob Khun Haaa (thanks to a gay or lesbian)

malayloveislam
05-19-2008, 02:20 PM

Mei dai is spelt mai dai and means cannot or tak buleh. Sia dai means can pity, or something like sayangnya in Malay.

malayloveislam
05-19-2008, 02:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
khop khun khrap = Southern Thai
khob khun khub = ?:?

Hmm, the "r" sound can actually be muted when you speak faster or according to your accents. You may say khob khun khrap and also khob khun khub. This is also the same with klub ban or going home where the "l" sound may be muted. You may also utter KaAb ban, people in Kelantan and Patani utter kelik ban, may also be spelt in various way with roman script for e.g kelik ban, kelib ban, or kleb ban.

The way of pronouncing it is [KhAwB Khoon KhrAP] Khob Khun Khrap.

The other way of saying thank you is khop chaiy. This one is used when you are talking with the person who is the same level of age, rank, and social status with you, it is also less formal. While for khob khun khrap, it is the formal and polite way usually used by the people from central Thailand or Bangkok :D

Women and girls may say khob khun kah, the same meaning with thank you but formal.

malayloveislam
05-19-2008, 03:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
if only i can hear the word that you are saying...then it'll be easier...especially the 'melody'... lol

The Thai dialect spoken in Kedah and southern Thai is less formal than in Bangkok one. The melody is a bit like people from Pendang district speak Malay, you try to speak with nasalized sound, it is not too soft like in Bangkok. Try listening to the sound of Kedahan people speak when you make a trip to Kedah. Many people laugh when listening to these people speak, thank God my parents never speak in this kind of accent :D These kind of accent is still exist in Kampung Asun in Jitra, Pendang, and Kodiang.

By the way, these is the example of the phrase Mai dai and Sia dai:

Mai dai

Mek, mek, pok waa gern nee mun klub ban mai dai ya.

Mom, mom, dad said tonight he couldn't come home.

Mak, mak, pak kata malam ni dia balik rumah tak buleh.

Mak, mak, ayah kata dia tidak dapat pulang ke rumah malam ini.

Sia dai

Sia dai, meaki ku mai sieo tock ee nan.

Too bad, I didn't bought the table.

Sayang sunggoh, tak sat aku tak beli meja tu.

Ruginya aku tidak beli meja itu tadi.

These are something for you to figure out on how the phrases are used in daily life, hope they help although the sound is to be discovered by yourselves when you start to utter those words +o( However, practice make perfect. Do not afraid being laughed by others, it is a part of the learning process and fun.

*Thai phrases in here is comparable to Kedah dialect in green color font.

Love to brothers and sisters in faith.

north_malaysian
05-20-2008, 12:51 AM
My uncle's in laws in Sungai Petani speak in Kedahan dialect with Thai intonation (or melody?) ... which really sounds so "funny":D...

When I went to a wedding feast (kenduri) in Pendang, then I knew that the whole population there speak Kedahan dialect in Thai intonation...

From what I've heard that Pendang people are the most beautiful (women) and handsome (guys) people in Kedah.

malayloveislam
05-20-2008, 05:12 AM

Here are some words to expand your vocabulary in southern Thai, they are used the same and alike by people in Nakorn Si Thammarat, Saturn, Patani, Kelantan, and Kedah:

Thai words English

Gon a bump of stone

La ni now

Ban house, village

Yamban (Pendang Thai) lavatory

Lakmod (South Thai), Lorbad (Kubang Pasu Thai) muslim prayer, pray

Pai go

Mah come

Du season

Leh look, see

boq, bok tell

For northern Malaysians, try to figure out these words in Malay... Where and how are they used?

north_malaysian
05-20-2008, 05:20 AM
In my dialect (in red)

Gon a bump of stone
Gon

La ni now
La ni

Ban house, village
Ghumah

Yamban (Pendang Thai) lavatory
Jamban

Lakmod (South Thai), Lorbad (Kubang Pasu Thai) muslim prayer, pray
Semayang

Pai go
Pi

Mah come
Mai

Du season
Musim

Leh look, see
Tengok or Kaleh

boq, bok tell
Habaq

malayloveislam
05-20-2008, 07:30 AM

Very well brother northern_malay :awesome:....you actually had master some of the Southern Thai vocabulary without realizing that they are used in Northern Malay dialect and you are actually using them in your daily conversation.

Let us try the name of the places...

Place like Kodiang, we separate both of the words into single word... they will become Kou and diang... Kou means hill, and diang means red... the word which is identical to Malay is Kou or Kau... Diang is pronounced in Kedah Thai sound as [Dee-Urhng] or [DaEhng] in Thailand counterpart.

How about Pendang? pronunciation is [Purhn-dAhng]... Pen means gun, and dang means sounds loud...

Baling... separate those words become Ban and Ling... Ban means village and Ling means monkey... thus the meaning of Banling or Baling is the village of the monkey.

They are many other places names with Thai words in it, insya-Allah we will check them later... It is advisable for brothers, sisters and friends to figure out the meaning of the words in standard Malay and Northern Malay dialects. They will help you to understand and speak Southern Thai.

malayloveislam
05-20-2008, 09:53 AM

I have check the thread of Malay for beginners and I found that it is useful for the spelling of the roman script Malay. Well, Kedah Thai that we use to speak at home and village is a non-written language and we grab the skill by listening to elders speaking. The way of pronouncing the Thai words in here is based on bahasa Malaysia writing system.

Muslim who speak Thai have no medium like Buddhist friends. They have Wat or temple that teach Thai script to their people. Muslim only depends on listening the sound and speak Thai automatically. Malay is being emphasized as the medium of learning, while Thai is only used at home informally.

There is currently no effort to support the learning of Thai among Muslims, so we have to depend on Roman script to construct the sound. Government also do not see that Thai should be preserve among Muslim since we do not care much about our language and most of us can speak Malay well.

I only discover that Radio Malaysia Kedah or Kedah. Fm teach Thai in the radio at 9.30 pm local time every Tuesdays. The Thai taught in the radio is the formal one and it is standard used in Bangkok.

north_malaysian
05-20-2008, 09:54 AM
Place like Kodiang, we separate both of the words into single word... they will become Kou and diang... Kou means hill, and diang means red... the word which is identical to Malay is Kou or Kau... Diang is pronounced in Kedah Thai sound as [Dee-Urhng] or [DaEhng] in Thailand counterpart.
I pronounce it "Kok-Diang"... a miserable mistake!!!:exhausted

north_malaysian
05-20-2008, 09:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by malayloveislam
I only discover that Radio Malaysia Kedah or Kedah. Fm teach Thai in the radio at 9.30 pm local time every Tuesdays. The Thai taught in the radio is the formal one and it is standard used in Bangkok.

Hey.. I can listen to Kedah.fm .... it's 97.5 FM in Kulim.

malayloveislam
05-20-2008, 10:12 AM

I feel that Kokdiang is more easy to pronounce... My friends from Thailand sometimes can't understand what am I mumbling when I mix the Malay pronunciation in Thai :blind:

Kau is almost identical to Bukit-bukau.

These are the words which were spelt the same in Roman script:

Kau [Gao] : nine
Kau [Gaw] : rice
Kau [khaO] : hill
Koh [kOhk] : island as in Kohk Mark [Penang Island]
Khau [khAu] : white

They are actually marked by intonation marks in Thai script, but it is difficult to differentiate them unless you speak them out with your Thai friends and hear them correct your pronunciation.

For me, as long you have the sound, whatever you write or utter is correct.

malayloveislam
05-20-2008, 11:46 AM

Here is some useful phrases used in the villages

Kin Kau [GeeN GaO] : eat rice
Kin Nam [GeeN nAm] : drink water
Kin Nam Ron [Geen nAm rOhN] : drink coffee
Kin Nam Cha [Geen nAm tcHa] : drink tea

Sieo Pla [Si-uhr PlA] : buy fish
Sieo Phak [Si-uhr pHak] : buy vegetable
Sieo Sing Khong [Si-uhr Seeng KhOng] : buy things

Pai Nai : Where are you going? or Pergi mana?
Pai Talad : go to market
Pai Hong Rian [Pai HouNg Rie-yarn] : go to class
Pai Rong Rian : go to school
Pai Ab Nam : go to bath
Pai naksah [Pai Nark-Soh] : Go to musolla
Pai an jahama [Pai ArN Tcha-Ha-Mo] : go to read Muqoddam or Beginning
Surahs

Ta Na Ban : Village headman or Tok penghulu

Rian is a verb. It means study or learn. Hong means room. and Rong means a hall as in Balai Rong (a place where King meets his ministers and listening to complaints of his subjects), thus Rong Rian means study hall or school.

Jahama is probably coming from Persian, it is used by Muslim who speak Thai or Malay alike in the northern part of Kedah.

Ta have several meaning. In this term it is a title, equivalent with Malay Datuk or Tuk. Na means the front and Ban means village. We call the male elders with this respect title such as Ta Chan for Tuk Hassan or Ta Chein for Tuk Hussain.

malayloveislam
05-20-2008, 12:07 PM

The word used by Budddhist for prayer is Wai Prahk...it means bowing to God. In Malay it means Sembah Tuhan Buddha, because Buddhist concept of God is not clear. Their God is represented by Buddha. Thai in Thailand bowing to people saying Sawaddeekrab with Wai or Sembah (the act of joining your hands like Indian had done in Namaste).

I think Sembahyang also may have the same meaning with Wai Prahk. Hyang is an old Malay word for the world in the heaven or sky. Check the word Kayangan or Kahiyangan. It is the world of fairies in Malay mythologies. I personally think that as long as the connotation of the word is correct, it is not wrong to use traditional word.

For the place of worship, Buddhist Thai pray at a place called Wat. It means Buddhist temple. Muslim Thai pray at Masjid and Naksah or Musolla.

north_malaysian
05-20-2008, 12:53 PM

I feel that Kokdiang is more easy to pronounce
But, is it the right pronounciation?:-[

Kohk Mark [Penang Island]
Koh Mark? ISland of Mark? Why Penang is known as "Island of Mark"?:?

north_malaysian
05-20-2008, 12:55 PM

Here is some useful phrases used in the villages

Kin Kau [GeeN GaO] : eat rice
Kin Nam [GeeN nAm] : drink water
Kin Nam Ron [Geen nAm rOhN] : drink coffee
Kin Nam Cha [Geen nAm tcHa] : drink tea

Sieo Pla [Si-uhr PlA] : buy fish
Sieo Phak [Si-uhr pHak] : buy vegetable
Sieo Sing Khong [Si-uhr Seeng KhOng] : buy things

Pai Nai : Where are you going? or Pergi mana?
Pai Talad : go to market
Pai Hong Rian [Pai HouNg Rie-yarn] : go to class
Pai Rong Rian : go to school
Pai Ab Nam : go to bath
Pai naksah [Pai Nark-Soh] : Go to musolla
Pai an jahama [Pai ArN Tcha-Ha-Mo] : go to read Muqoddam or Beginning
Surahs

Ta Na Ban : Village headman or Tok penghulu

Rian is a verb. It means study or learn. Hong means room. and Rong means a hall as in Balai Rong (a place where King meets his ministers and listening to complaints of his subjects), thus Rong Rian means study hall or school.

Jahama is probably coming from Persian, it is used by Muslim who speak Thai or Malay alike in the northern part of Kedah.

Ta have several meaning. In this term it is a title, equivalent with Malay Datuk or Tuk. Na means the front and Ban means village. We call the male elders with this respect title such as Ta Chan for Tuk Hassan or Ta Chein for Tuk Hussain.

I've heard some Kedahans calling "Musolla" as "Naksah"...

In Penang, "Jahama" is known as "Juhama"

north_malaysian
05-20-2008, 12:57 PM
What's the difference between Thai, Lao, Khmer and Vietnamese?

I've heard Vietnamese, and it sounds like a "funny" version of Thai, especially the intonation is too "funny"...

And the Cambodians living in Kulim, speak Malay language just like the Thais...

malayloveislam
05-20-2008, 02:33 PM
But, is it the right pronounciation?:-[

Koh Mark? ISland of Mark? Why Penang is known as "Island of Mark"?:?

Kokdiang is the local pronunciation... it is still correct but Thai in Songkhla up to Bangkok can't understand it... it is like a slang, dont worry.

Koh Mark simply means Pulau Pinang (Island of the Betel Nut) :D

Kedah is known as Muang Sai, it was the name of Kedah while under Siamese rule around 18th century. The full name of Kedah is Monthon Saiburi, consists of Setul with the islands around, Kedah today, Pulau Pinang and Perlis if I am not mistaken. Songkhla was once under Kedah but it became a separate province after 19th century.

malayloveislam
05-20-2008, 02:51 PM
What's the difference between Thai, Lao, Khmer and Vietnamese?

I've heard Vietnamese, and it sounds like a "funny" version of Thai, especially the intonation is too "funny"...

And the Cambodians living in Kulim, speak Malay language just like the Thais...
Thai in Thailand down to northern Malaysia is categorized under Thai Kadai sub-group. As a fact Thai people migrated south from Yunnan province in China around 12th century. They established kingdoms such as Sukhothai in Thailand, Lanna Thai in Chiang Mai, Lao Thai Kingdom in Laos. Laos too is under Thai sub-group language. Lao people can speak and read Thai but Thai people hardly understand them.

For Vietnamese, I am not sure... I have heard about Thai Dam people in Vietnam. They speaks in a language which is close to Thai but with variation.

Khmer is under Proto-Malay sub-group language or Austroasiatic group. The related language with Khmer are Mon in southern Myanmar and the Orang Asli languages (native)such as Senoi in Malaysian peninsula. Khmer is a highly civilized language, Thai in Thailand absorbed many ancient Khmer words into their vocabulary. Their script also was modified as Thai script by Ramthibodi of Sukhothai kingdom in 12th century. I believe that Kedahan-Malay are from Khmer stock since Langkasuka is under Funan Kingdom in ancient era. In 13th century these kind of people are known as Siam asli or the native of Siam Empire, different from Thai who are known as Siamese.

Malay in Indonesia is categorized under Austronesian language or Deutro-Malay stock. Same goes to Javanese and other languages of Indonesia. Malay from Palembang was recorded attacking Langkasuka Kingdom in Kedah and Patani around 7th century. That makes Austronesian Malay expanded its wings in the Malayan Peninsula. History may sometimes make us dizzy +o(

north_malaysian
05-21-2008, 12:41 AM
Kokdiang is the local pronunciation... it is still correct but Thai in Songkhla up to Bangkok can't understand it... it is like a slang, dont worry.
Ah...good.:)

Koh Mark simply means Pulau Pinang (Island of the Betel Nut) :D
Oh... "Mark" means "Betel Nut"... I thought the island was named after an Englishman....:exhausted

Is it true that the name "Perlis" originated from Thai language - "Phrau Loi"?

north_malaysian
05-21-2008, 12:44 AM
Malay from Palembang was recorded attacking Langkasuka Kingdom in Kedah and Patani around 7th century.

Why the Malays hate the Thais so much? :?

malayloveislam
05-21-2008, 03:03 AM
Ah...good.:)

Oh... "Mark" means "Betel Nut"... I thought the island was named after an Englishman....:exhausted

Is it true that the name "Perlis" originated from Thai language - "Phrau Loi"?
Hahahahah..... Mark means Pinang or Betel nut, yes... the same as Farang Mark [lit:French betel nut] means chewing gum.

I think so, many stories about the name of Perlis... one of them is that Phrau Loy... the floating coconut.

In local slang of Kedah Thai and Kedah Malay, Loy means going out without bringing or getting anything like an idiom.

e.g Mun orq Loy thuon
He goes out without bringing anything or unsatisfied
Dia kluaq loy saja
Dia keluar begitu sahaja

malayloveislam
05-21-2008, 03:25 AM
Why the Malays hate the Thais so much? :?
In 7th century, Sriwijaya Kingdom is a Buddhist Maritime Kingdom while Langkasuka Kingdom is a Hindu Kingdom. There are muslim subjects in Langkasuka Kindom eventhough the king is not a muslim starting 8th century AD.

In history, it is not because the Malay hate the Thai they attacked the Langkasuka Kingdom. It is because they want to conquer the business area. Langkasuka Kingdom in Kedah and Patani is not a Thai Kingdom. It is believed that the kingdom is a Khmer branch kingdom, means they are still Malay but the Proto one or the native of Malay Land.

After Sriwijaya attacked the Langkasukan, they established an administration center in the Malay Land. So, two administrations center were held. One in Palembang and one in Malay Land, maybe in Patani.

Around 11the century, the kingdom of Langkasuka facing its doom era, when Rajendra Cholawarman a Tamil King from India attacked the kingdoms in the coastal areas around the Malacca Straits. Cholawarman feels uneasy with the tax and business control by Sriwijayan empire. The event was carved in a plague which is now kept in a temple in Tajavur (Tanjore).

Thai just arrived in the south east asian mainland in 12th century. They were pressed to migrate south by the Han (chinese). They sometimes raging war with the natives of Thailand and Malay Land and sometimes live together. The native of Malay Land are the Proto-Malay stocks while the natives of Thailand are the Khmer tribe and the Mon tribe. Both are still proto-Malay stocks.

In 13th century, Thai established an empire called the Siam Empire. The dynasty that established the Empire is known as Sri Ayuttaya. While the previous Thai Sukhothai dynasty's power ceased to northern part, which is in Chiang Rai. Thai power under Sri Ayuttaya extends from Siem Riep in Cambodia until Singapore or Temasik and the islands near it.

This is some brief history of Thailand and northern Malay. Their history are co-joined and that makes the things blurry and confusing. Northern Malays history is not as easy as the history of Malaccan :phew

malayloveislam
05-21-2008, 03:40 AM
In 18th century many Thai from Saturn (Setul), Songkhla, and Nakorn Si Thammarat (Ligor) migrates south to Kedah for better life. Most of them are buddhists, but in late 19th many of them become Muslim when married to the locals or through their contact with the locals.

Some of them were bandits, they were called by locals in Kedah as Kawaq (thief of the cows and buffalos) and Siam Perut Hijau (Thai with green stomach). They are previously buddhists but some become muslims, but the religious comprehension is not deeply rooted in their selves. Maybe this is why Malays hate Thai :exhausted

Muslim Thai also exist at that time until now. They live their life the same way as other Malays or locals had. You still can find this religious people in Pendang, but they will not feel comfortable to be called Siam (Thai). For me, I feel it is better to be known as Kedahan who speaks Thai beside Malay as mother tongue. In Thailand, they call themselves Thai according to their nationality while in Malaysia they call themselves Malay. It is just the national identity. Not tribal like in Indonesia.

north_malaysian
05-21-2008, 06:46 AM

In local slang of Kedah Thai and Kedah Malay, Loy means going out without bringing or getting anything like an idiom.

e.g Mun orq Loy thuon
He goes out without bringing anything or unsatisfied
Dia kluaq loy saja
Dia keluar begitu sahaja
We Penangites use the term "Loy" too..

"Dea mai loy saja" (He came without bringing anything)

north_malaysian
05-21-2008, 06:48 AM
This is some brief history of Thailand and northern Malay. Their history are co-joined and that makes the things blurry and confusing. Northern Malays history is not as easy as the history of Malaccan :phew
Yeah... we dont have any mousedeer kicking dogs history...:exhausted

north_malaysian
05-21-2008, 06:50 AM
Some of them were bandits, they were called by locals in Kedah as Kawaq (thief of the cows and buffalos) and Siam Perut Hijau (Thai with green stomach).
I've heard my classmate (a Penangite) calling another classmate (a Kedahan) "Siam Perut Hijau"...

For God's sake.. I dont know what the heck it is.... and now.. I know that it's racists.

malayloveislam
05-21-2008, 07:20 AM
I've heard my classmate (a Penangite) calling another classmate (a Kedahan) "Siam Perut Hijau"...

For God's sake.. I dont know what the heck it is.... and now.. I know that it's racists.
Gosh, that sounds harsh, not all Kedahan with Thai ancestry are bad. My father told me a story related to this idiom "Siam Perut Hijau". My father is a local Kedahan from Kokdiang but with Indian ancestry.

One day at nat [nut] or a morning market, there is an event in the 60s where a Siamese guy [Thai] snatching a local merchant's money and run unstopably. Unfortunately that guy was catched and beaten by the villagers near the nat area. That guy finally swallow the money and that is how the idiom "Siam Perut Hijau" starts. It means the Thai is stubborn.

This is why we feel ashame to speak in Thai in the public, because others may misunderstood us as the people without manner. To the extend where one of my friend from Kampung Asun in Jitra ridicule his own ancestry and I have to convince him that we are all muslim, have nothing to be ashame of :cry:

One of my friend who speak in Kedahan Thai is very religious. He is from Pendang, I can see that his manner's good when talking to others. Well, my mother too speak Thai and almost all of her neighbors in the village speak in Thai beside Kedahan-Malay.

north_malaysian
05-21-2008, 07:43 AM
Gosh, that sounds harsh, not all Kedahan with Thai ancestry are bad. My father told me a story related to this idiom "Siam Perut Hijau". My father is a local Kedahan from Kokdiang but with Indian ancestry.

One day at nat [nut] or a morning market, there is an event in the 60s where a Siamese guy [Thai] snatching a local merchant's money and run unstopably. Unfortunately that guy was catched and beaten by the villagers near the nat area. That guy finally swallow the money and that is how the idiom "Siam Perut Hijau" starts. It means the Thai is stubborn.

This is why we feel ashame to speak in Thai in the public, because others may misunderstood us as the people without manner. To the extend where one of my friend from Kampung Asun in Jitra ridicule his own ancestry and I have to convince him that we are all muslim, have nothing to be ashame of :cry:

One of my friend who speak in Kedahan Thai is very religious. He is from Pendang, I can see that his manner's good when talking to others. Well, my mother too speak Thai and almost all of her neighbors in the village speak in Thai beside Kedahan-Malay.

1960s story... I thought ... it's centuries ago...

Pendang people are very religious... I knew that.

I've met a lady in Legal Aid Bureau, Butterworth saying that her ancestors came from Bangkok area... she said that most of "Penangite Malays" which have Thai ancestry came from Central Thai, especially Bangkok area. She, herself claiming her ancestors were part of Thai royal family. Many people want to kill them as they left Buddhism. They ran away from Bangkok after converting Islam. She even claimed that the Royal family sent assassins to kill her ancestors. Because of that, many Muslim Thais from Bangkok area found refuge in Penang, which is under British protection.

I'm the fourth generation living in Penang, and 3rd generation being born in Penang.

malayloveislam
05-21-2008, 08:14 AM
1960s story... I thought ... it's centuries ago...

Pendang people are very religious... I knew that.

I've met a lady in Legal Aid Bureau, Butterworth saying that her ancestors came from Bangkok area... she said that most of "Penangite Malays" which have Thai ancestry came from Central Thai, especially Bangkok area. She, herself claiming her ancestors were part of Thai royal family. Many people want to kill them as they left Buddhism. They ran away from Bangkok after converting Islam. She even claimed that the Royal family sent assassins to kill her ancestors. Because of that, many Muslim Thais from Bangkok area found refuge in Penang, which is under British protection.

I'm the fourth generation living in Penang, and 3rd generation being born in Penang.
That is scary, can they still detect their surname:omg:? Maybe it is the time to establish an association to protect Muslim Thai in Malaysia. Many Thai who became Muslim have to undergo sufferings because they are not too many and seperated from each others. Like my auntie in law who were arrested in Bangkok and forced by her family into buddhism, she is from Chiang Mai. I never heard any news from her until now. I am afraid that she were killed.

There are many dynasties in Thailand, the latest till now starting 16th century is called Chakri Dynasty. Before that, the dynasty is known as Si Ayuttaya [Shri Ayodhya] began in 13th century - 15th century. Sukhothai kingdom began in 12th century- 15th century, they moved northern when defeated by Si Ayuttaya.

Before 11th century, there are many native kingdoms in Thailand and northern Malaysia. There are Langkasuka as the pioneer, began in 1st century AD - 13th century. Under Langkasuka, there are Kedah, Patani, Ligor [Nakorn Si Thammarat], and a vast range of Malayan Peninsula area.

According to historical record, Nakorn Si Thammarat [Negara Sri Dharmaraja] or the country of The Glory of Religious King once defeated Sri Lanka in 11th century. The King at that time is called Dharmaraja Chandrabhanu. They are believed to be Malay with Tamil ancestry. A prince from this country whose name is Suryawarman ruled Cambodia and finishing a magnificent Vishnu temple which is Angkor Wat in 10th century AD. Nakorn Si Thammarat previously was known as Ligor and its ancient name is Tambralinga [the land vital with copper].

As what we can see, our history is a bit confusing with many ethnicities and wars, further more the civilization of northern malays are older compared to the Indonesian one. While Malacca Kingdom can easily and obviously being recognized in the history book because it is strategically southern and far from the modern political border. We have to check back the history book of Thailand and Cambodia beside comparing them with Malaysian one.

north_malaysian
05-21-2008, 08:41 AM
That is scary, can they still detect their surname:omg:? Maybe it is the time to establish an association to protect Muslim Thai in Malaysia. Many Thai who became Muslim have to undergo sufferings because they are not too many and seperated from each others. Like my auntie in law who were arrested in Bangkok and forced by her family into buddhism, she is from Chiang Mai. I never heard any news from her until now. I am afraid that she were killed.
Because of the threats, they completely became Malays... and want nothing to do with their Thai ancestry anymore... but that was decades ago...

I've read a story about a Khmer convert to Islam in Mastika, who fled to Malaysia because her brother (a Cambodian army officer) threat to kill her for leaving Buddhism.

Buddhists suppose to be peaceful people right?

And all Malaysians knew about the a family of Muslim converts being killed by their Hindu relatives for leaving Hinduism.

malayloveislam
05-21-2008, 03:48 PM
Because of the threats, they completely became Malays... and want nothing to do with their Thai ancestry anymore... but that was decades ago...

I've read a story about a Khmer convert to Islam in Mastika, who fled to Malaysia because her brother (a Cambodian army officer) threat to kill her for leaving Buddhism.

And all Malaysians knew about the a family of Muslim converts being killed by their Hindu relatives for leaving Hinduism.
This is a bit about Indo-China history. There is a fact about a Cambodian King in 15th century embrace Islam. He is called Ramadhipati, he gained his throne with the help of Malays and Champas at that time. They are now known as Muslim Khmers. The king assasined his uncle, and overthrew him. He became muslim after being the king in Cambodia. His muslim name is Sultan Ibrahim. He is the only muslim king in Cambodia with Muslim Malay ministers.

malayloveislam
05-21-2008, 05:14 PM

Too bad, they have lost their traditional identity and Thai being ceased in usage in Malaysia because we do not demand Thai national type school like other imigrants who are Chinese and Indian while we are still in our own region or trying to use it at least among our selves.

I think speaking in Thai won't make us less muslim, we even can spread the da'awa to others or at least giving them some knowledge about our religion. We also giving our respect to Malay as the national and unifying language in Malaysia.

Muslim Thai can establish their own cultural system with Islamic base, like buddhist can't think themselves as any other except with buddhism.

I think they mistook their religion and not performing the eight margas (paths) well. That is why they become violent, not all buddhist are bad and not all muslim are bad.

I make friends with many buddhist Thai from Thailand instead of muslim, they even surprised that I speak in buddhist way when I talk to them while I am a muslim. Last time, I have to learn Thai again because the dialect that we use in the village in Perlis and Kedah is mixed with Malay different from the central part of Thailand :D Our religion may be different but under the same traditional culture we are shadowed.

malayloveislam
05-21-2008, 05:40 PM

Here are the days of a week in Thai, I shall give you the standard one with some brief explanation:

Wan Athik : Sunday
Wan Jan : Monday
Wan Angkahn : Tuesday
Wan Put : Wednesday
Wan Brahaksabodi : Thursday
Wan Suk : Friday
Wan Sau : Saturday

All 7 days in a week name are derived from Sanskrit days' system. The word Wan (day) is traditionally spelled as วาร (wAra) in traditional Thai script, but pronounced as waN because every word ends with "r" will be changed into "n". This word is a Sanskrit loanword in Thai. Nowadays it is simply spelled as วัน (Wan) in modern Thai spelling.

Here is the original pronunciation of the days in Sanskrit starting from Sunday to Saturday, when you read Thai script in Sanskrit way of writing.

Adityawar
Chandrawar
Angrawar
Budhwar
Brahaspatiwar
Syukrawar
Saurawar

E.g of the sentence

Neng sap-da mi chet wan
A week have seven days
Seminggu ada tujoh hari
Ada tujuh hari dalam satu minggu

Neng [nurng] : one
Sap-da [sarp-pDa] : week
Mi [mee] : have
Chet [tChet] : seven
Wan [wAhn] : day

Easy right? hopefully it is easy and helps.

north_malaysian
05-22-2008, 05:14 AM
Too bad, they have lost their traditional identity and Thai being ceased in usage in Malaysia because we do not demand Thai national type school like other imigrants who are Chinese and Indian while we are still in our own region or trying to use it at least among our selves.

I think speaking in Thai won't make us less muslim, we even can spread the da'awa to others or at least giving them some knowledge about our religion. We also giving our respect to Malay as the national and unifying language in Malaysia.

Muslim Thai can establish their own cultural system with Islamic base, like buddhist can't think themselves as any other except with buddhism.

I think they mistook their religion and not performing the eight margas (paths) well. That is why they become violent, not all buddhist are bad and not all muslim are bad.

I make friends with many buddhist Thai from Thailand instead of muslim, they even surprised that I speak in buddhist way when I talk to them while I am a muslim. Last time, I have to learn Thai again because the dialect that we use in the village in Perlis and Kedah is mixed with Malay different from the central part of Thailand :D Our religion may be different but under the same traditional culture we are shadowed.

I've heard that currently, many Thais in Bangkok area converted to Islam.

malayloveislam
05-22-2008, 06:16 AM
I've heard that currently, many Thais in Bangkok area converted to Islam.

That is contradictory with the southern area, Thais near border in the southern part are stern buddhist although they have contacts with muslim relatives and friends. Most of the South Thais, buddhist or muslim have Malay ancestry due to Sriwijaya conquest centuries ago. You can see that most of them are tanned skin people especially Thais in Songkhla, Saturn, and Nakorn Si Thammarat, resembling typical Malays. They may also have Indian ancestry and Arabian ancestry.

malayloveislam
05-22-2008, 06:27 AM

This is how you ask about what day is in this week...

Wan ni wan arai?
What day is today?
Hari ni hari apa?
Hari ini hari apa?

Wan ni pein Wan Put
Today is Wednesday
Hari ni hari Rabu
Hari ini adalah hari Rabu.

Pein : become, is, are (formal Thai)

How do you say what date is today?

Wan ni wan tee tau rai?
What date is today?
Hari ni hari yang ke berapa?

Wan ni wan tee yee sib ha
Today is 25th day
Hari ni hari yang ke 25

Try to use the previous days of a week in the first two sentences :statisfie

north_malaysian
05-22-2008, 06:42 AM
That is contradictory with the southern area, Thais near border in the southern part are stern buddhist although they have contacts with muslim relatives and friends. Most of the South Thais, buddhist or muslim have Malay ancestry due to Sriwijaya conquest centuries ago. You can see that most of them are tanned skin people especially Thais in Songkhla, Saturn, and Nakorn Si Thammarat, resembling typical Malays. They may also have Indian ancestry and Arabian ancestry.
Many people think that I'm a Chinese... as I am a lil bit fairer than average "Malays"... I said to them that I dont know if I have any Chinese ancestry, but my mother is so white and her ancestors were Thais...Maybe her ancestors were Chinese of Thailand... who knows?:?

malayloveislam
05-22-2008, 07:00 AM
Many people think that I'm a Chinese... as I am a lil bit fairer than average "Malays"... I said to them that I dont know if I have any Chinese ancestry, but my mother is so white and her ancestors were Thais...Maybe her ancestors were Chinese of Thailand... who knows?:?
Yea, actually people in the central part or Bangkok are mixed blood with Chinese especially with the Teochews. Genuine Thai are also fair skin people, but their eyes are a bit sharp at the edge but bigger than Chinese, not slant one. You can find them in Chiangmai, they are called Thai Shan. Many people in south think that they are good looking because they are mixed with fair skin.

Chakri dynasty also established by Commander Thaksin in 16th century, if my memory is still good. I think he become the first Chakkaphat (Maharaja) of Siam from Chakri dynasty after he took over the power from Ayuttaya dynasty. Thaksin was a Chinese merchant family name in Siam. They are Teochew Chinese.

By the way, Central Thai dialect have many Chinese words... Some of them are

Ooy : sugarcane
Tock ee : table
Gauw ee : chair
Cha : tea

north_malaysian
05-22-2008, 07:45 AM
Yea, actually people in the central part or Bangkok are mixed blood with Chinese especially with the Teochews. Genuine Thai are also fair skin people, but their eyes are a bit sharp at the edge but bigger than Chinese, not slant one. You can find them in Chiangmai, they are called Thai Shan. Many people in south think that they are good looking because they are mixed with fair skin.
My eyes are a lil bit sharp at the edge... and bigger than chinese... and the another difference that I have is that I have a very curvy eyebrows... and it's original... many people asked me whether did I shave my eyebrows?:exhausted

malayloveislam
05-22-2008, 08:38 AM
I think Kelantanese and people from eastern of Kedah are real Siamese (Thai) with Arab or Chinese mix. Many friends from Kelantan or Kota Bharu are handsome and beautiful. I can't deny that eventho they speak strange dialect.

While for me, I am not genuine Malay or Thai. I have Indian ancestry from my father side. Long time ago, there are Indian and Siamese population in Kokdiang. Nowadays, they are difficult to be identified because intermarried can't be avoided in multi-racial comunity. Most of people in Kokdiang nowadays speak Kedahan Malay or Kedahan Thai even the person with Indian ancestry.

My siblings appearance represents multi-racial faces. Some look Indian and some look Chinese with slant eyes. Some with fair skin while others a bit dark. Our nose are Indian kind of nose I think. I think, I look Indian than a Malay or a Thai but sometimes I was confused as a Chinese because my skin is fair. I think my eyes are big, they only look small because of the spects that I wear :blind:

malayloveislam
05-22-2008, 09:32 AM

Here is the days of a week in Thai script maybe you can have some picture about how they are being written and pronounced if you have some basic in any Indian script

วันอาทิฅย์ wan Atit
วันจันทร์ wan chant
วันอังการ wan anggarn
วันพุธ wan puth
วันพฦหัสบดี wan prrhaksabodi
วันศุกร์ wan suk
วันเสาร wan sau

วันนี้วันอะไร?
Wan ni wan arai?

วันนี้เปนวันพุธ
Wan ni pein wan puth

huh, this is a bit too difficult I think for Thai beginners :exhausted This is just an example, do not worry we still will stick to Roman script.

Thai words are spelled without any space in a sentence. It is a bit difficult for beginners to learn Thai except they have some basic knowledge or speak at least informal Thai if they never learn the script before. It is much easier to learn Thai as an oral language rather than learning it as a written language. Because their writing system may be confusing and different according to region in Thailand.

All the best

malayloveislam
05-22-2008, 10:11 AM

Thuk thuk wan suk, kon phu nai Maleisia kon la pai Mesjid lorbad.
Every Fridays, men in Malaysia go to mosque for prayer.
Tiap-tiap Jumaat, orang jantan kat Malaysia ramai-ramai pi mesjid semayang.
Setiap hari Jumaat, kaum lelaki di Malaysia beramai-ramai ke masjid untuk bersembahyang.

thuk-thuk : every
kon phu : male, it is a rough form of Thai for men, jantan
nai : in
kon la : several people, many people, ramai orang
pai : go
lorbad : muslim prayer, worship Allah

north_malaysian
05-22-2008, 12:47 PM
My siblings appearance represents multi-racial faces. Some look Indian and some look Chinese with slant eyes. Some with fair skin while others a bit dark. Our nose are Indian kind of nose I think. I think, I look Indian than a Malay or a Thai but sometimes I was confused as a Chinese because my skin is fair. I think my eyes are big, they only look small because of the spects that I wear :blind:
If there is a gathering of all my relatives... people would think it as a multiracial conference... intermarriage between ethnic groups is a normal thing in Penang...everybody knows that.

north_malaysian
05-22-2008, 12:48 PM

Here is the days of a week in Thai script maybe you can have some picture about how they are being written and pronounced if you have some basic in any Indian script

วันอาทิฅย์ wan Atit
วันจันทร์ wan chant
วันอังการ wan anggarn
วันพุธ wan puth
วันพฦหัสบดี wan prrhaksabodi
วันศุกร์ wan suk
วันเสาร wan sau

วันนี้วันอะไร?
Wan ni wan arai?

วันนี้เปนวันพุธ
Wan ni pein wan puth

huh, this is a bit too difficult I think for Thai beginners :exhausted This is just an example, do not worry we still will stick to Roman script.

Thai words are spelled without any space in a sentence. It is a bit difficult for beginners to learn Thai except they have some basic knowledge or speak at least informal Thai if they never learn the script before. It is much easier to learn Thai as an oral language rather than learning it as a written language. Because their writing system may be confusing and different according to region in Thailand.

All the best

can you teach Thai alphabets?

malayloveislam
05-22-2008, 04:43 PM
can you teach Thai alphabets?

Sure, if you would like to :statisfie But I am not as good as Thais with formal education in Thailand. I learned Thai script informally from buddhist friends from Thailand.

We just speak in Thai among ourselves, but illiterate in its own script because we do not attend temple classes like local buddhists as we are muslim.

I'm glad to bring muslim Thais back to their root beside giving some informations about muslim Thais' way of life in Kedah to other Thais and friends.

We can also bridge good relationship with Malaysians in the East Coast because they think that they are the only people with different background in Malaysia. You will surprised when discovering lots of common things between Kedahan-Malay and Kelantanese Malay through Southern Thai dialect or Patanese variation of Malay. Kedahans realize this, but I notice that Kelantanese not.

malayloveislam
05-22-2008, 06:40 PM

I found that the alphabets in Thai are complicated. They are many rules in writing it. Learn them slowly and step by step, take your time and don't rush. We will try doing them slowly without hard sweating.

While learning the script, try to grab as many words through sentences given in Roman script and compare them with Kedahan Malay or English.

There are three classes of consonants in Thai script. Low, Mid, and High. You will have to deal with tones later, so better trying to recognize the consonants first. In Pali-Sanskrit way of writing, Thai script are actually less complicated than the genuine one because the genuine Thai have 5 tones like in Chinese.

Here are low class consonants, they are 24 consonants in this class

ค ฅ ฆ ง ช ซ ฌ ญ ฑ ฒ ณ ท ธ น พ ฟ

ภ ม ย ร ล ว ฬ ฮ

The transliteration are simply like these, they are almost the same taught in Wat (temples) in Malaysia and Thai school in Thailand. Guess that I have to check my notebooks back +o(

ko kho kho ngo cho so cho nyo tho tho no to tho no po

fo pho mo yo ro lo wo lo ho

Don't worry much about the script, they are not as important as the spoken language. You won't need them unless you are dealing with documents or living in Thailand :exhausted

malayloveislam
05-22-2008, 06:44 PM

Here is the middle class consonants, they are 9 consonants

ก จ ฎ ฏ ด ต บ ป อ

go jo do to do to bo po o

malayloveislam
05-22-2008, 06:50 PM

Final consonants are the High class consonants :exhausted

ข ฃ ฉ ฐ ถ ผ ฝ ศ ษ ส ห

ko kho cho tho tho pho fho so so so ho

There are 11 alphabets in this high class consonants.

The consonants are altogether 44 alphabets.

wish you all the best, but advisable to emphasize on the spoken southern dialect one because it is easier and closer to northern malay dialects.

malayloveislam
05-22-2008, 07:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Qurratul Ayn

I will definitely start to learn Southern Thai! Make Du'a!

Welcome sister, Insya-Allah may Allah make Thai easy for you and whoever interested in it. Thanks for supporting Southern Thai dialect thread.

Our southern Thai sisters and brothers are very loyal muslim although their country are buddhist. We in Malaysia share the same language as they are which are Malay and Thai with Arabic and Farsi influence because of Islam.

malayloveislam
05-22-2008, 07:48 PM

I watched a local Malaysian drama in Malay in TV3 at 6.30 p.m local time today. The drama is called Ezora.

The interesting part in the drama is a scene when a woman speaks malay with thai accent to a girl who come from a village while the girls is waiting for someone at the Puduraya bus station in Kuala Lumpur. It's quite funny because the woman says Thai people can help showing the way to Malaysian when Malaysian got lost.

Her malay with thai accent sounds like a Kedahan who speak in malay with thai accent but in reality, she is a Kelantanese. I've never been to Kelantan until now, so I'm not really sure about their thai dialect. I tried talking to Kelantanese friends in Kedahan thai but they don't understand any thai or maybe just pretending like they don't know it due to shy. I guess that Kedahan especially in the northern part and eastern part being influenced too much by thai language.

The woman who speak malay with thai accent is a comedy actress in a sitcom called Salam Pantai Timur (greeting from the east coast). Her name is Mek Safiah. I wonder she looks thin than her previous appearance. Last time she is a bit plump.

north_malaysian
05-23-2008, 12:41 AM

I watched a local Malaysian drama in Malay in TV3 at 6.30 p.m local time today. The drama is called Ezora.

The interesting part in the drama is a scene when a woman speaks malay with thai accent to a girl who come from a village while the girls is waiting for someone at the Puduraya bus station in Kuala Lumpur. It's quite funny because the woman says Thai people can help showing the way to Malaysian when Malaysian got lost.

Her malay with thai accent sounds like a Kedahan who speak in malay with thai accent but in reality, she is a Kelantanese. I've never been to Kelantan until now, so I'm not really sure about their thai dialect. I tried talking to Kelantanese friends in Kedahan thai but they don't understand any thai or maybe just pretending like they don't know it due to shy. I guess that Kedahan especially in the northern part and eastern part being influenced too much by thai language.

The woman who speak malay with thai accent is a comedy actress in a sitcom called Salam Pantai Timur (greeting from the east coast). Her name is Mek Safiah. I wonder she looks thin than her previous appearance. Last time she is a bit plump.

When I spoke in Kelantanese, the Kelantanese said that I speak like a Thai..:skeleton:

Never been to Kelantan? you "must" go there... :thumbs_up

malayloveislam
05-23-2008, 04:06 AM

We are going to introduce Thai vowel today

There are 32 sounds in Thai vowel

We will start with เสียงยาว [siangyao] or long sound, you have to make the sound longer when it comes to these vowels

อา อี อื อู เอ แอ โอ ออ

A I Ie U E Ai/E O OU

Try combine the consonant like ก [go] with vowels above

กา กี กื กู เก แก โก กอ

GA GI GIE GU GE GAE GO GOU

Try this vowel with three classes previous consonants.

malayloveislam
05-23-2008, 04:27 AM

Lesson of the day, is numerals

We in Kedah using numerals the same with people in Central part, suppose to be the same :-[

We call numbers as bed [bird], it is actually from English word which is number, we just take the "ber" and change the "r" sound at the final.

We start with zero to ten first:

Wang
Neng
Song
Saam
Si [see]
Ha
Hok [hock]
Chet
Pek
Kau
Sip

In Central part Thai or standard, zero is Sunn [soon] from Sanskrit loanword Syunn.

In South Thai and northern Malaysia, we just say Wang for zero. It simply means empty.

We can use numbers in the date that previously learned

Wan ti neng
First day

Wan ti song
Second day

Wan ti saam
Third day

and so on.....

After ten, we say

Sip ek
Sip song
Sip saam
Sip si
Sip ha
Sip hok
Sip chet
Sip pek
Sip kau

Then it comes to twenty

Yee sip
Yee sip ek
Yee sip song
Yee sip saam
Yee sip si
Yee sip ha
Yee sip hok
Yee sip chet
Yee sip pek
Yee sip kau

north_malaysian
05-23-2008, 06:25 AM
Si [see]
In Hokkien, it's "Si" too for "four"

malayloveislam
05-23-2008, 08:26 AM
I don't know if there is other word for number four in Thai... but yeah it is Si.

For traditional Thai, we have Indian way of numbers... This is just for introduction knowledge and they are not used as frequent as those normal Thai.

They are 1-4
Eik
Tho
Tri
Chattawa

I just heard my friend told me until four. They are used traditionally in Pali-Sanskrit numeral system. Also they are the name of the intonations in Thai which are falling for Eik and Tho and rising for Tri and Chattawa.

Here are the numbers in Thai numerals, 0 until 9. They are based from Sanskrit-Pali writing and used traditionally and exclusively. You can see them marking buddha era, พุทธศักราช [Putthasakrat] in historical Thai films like muslim using Hijrah calender. Maybe you can recognize them when watching movies.

๐ ๑ ๒ ๓ ๔ ๕ ๖ ๗ ๘ ๙

Don't worry, these numerals is only cultural. It has nothing to do with any religion.

malayloveislam
05-23-2008, 10:09 AM

The numbers one until ten are written in Thai alphabets like these

หนึ่ง
สอ๋ง
สาม
สี่
ห้า้้้้้้้้้้
หก
เจ็ด
แปด
เก้า
สิบ

malayloveislam
05-23-2008, 12:36 PM

ยิสิบ
Twenty
Dua puloh

ยิสิบเอ็ด
Twenty one
Dua puloh satu

วันนี้วันที้ยิสิบเอ็ด
Wan Nee wan tee yee sip ek
Today is the 21st day
Hari ni hari yang ke dua puloh satu

malayloveislam
05-23-2008, 01:23 PM

Just for fun

เรารัักอาลเลาะ, ก็รักราสุลลุลเลาะ
Rau rak Allah, kor rak Rasulullah
We love Allah, also love Rasulullah
Kami sayang Allah, pun sayang Rasulullah
Kami mencintai Allah, begitu juga Rasulullah

Rau : we
Rak : love
Kor : also, pun

north_malaysian
05-26-2008, 03:20 AM
Thai scripts have lots of similarities with Hebrew scripts right?

malayloveislam
05-26-2008, 06:20 AM
Thai scripts have lots of similarities with Hebrew scripts right?

Haha,maybe they were evolved from Hebrew who knows:D Thai script is Indic script. It was created by Ramkhamhaeng of Sukhothai dynasty in 12th century based from Khmer-Khom or Boran Khmer (ancient Khmer) script. They evolved from single Brahmi script which is ancient south Indian Pallawa script :statisfie I hate writing in Thai coz my handwriting is a mess :-[

north_malaysian
05-26-2008, 08:22 AM
Haha,maybe they were evolved from Hebrew who knows:D Thai script is Indic script. It was created by Ramkhamhaeng of Sukhothai dynasty in 12th century based from Khmer-Khom or Boran Khmer (ancient Khmer) script. They evolved from single Brahmi script which is ancient south Indian Pallawa script :statisfie I hate writing in Thai coz my handwriting is a mess :-[
Maybe that Ramkhamhaeng guy was one of the Lost Tribe of Israel? :D

My handwritings... whether in Romanic, Arabic, Cyrilic or whatsoever ... are too messy....

malayloveislam
05-31-2008, 05:13 PM

Consonant combined with short sound vowel เสียงสั้น (Siang San), short sound.

กะ กิ กึ กุ เกะ แกะ โกะ เกาะ

Gah Gi Ger Gu Geh Geih Goh Gauh

malayloveislam
06-02-2008, 12:40 PM

We have learn simple things about days and dates, today we are going to elaborate those lessons by learning the months in Thai

มกราคม MokrAkom January
กุมภาพันธ์ KumphApant February
มีนาคม MeenAkom March
เมษายน MesAyon April
พฤษภาคม PrespAkom May
มิภุ๋นายน MithunAyon June
กรกฎาคม KarakdAkom July
สิงหาคม SinghAkom August
กันยายน KanyAyon September
ฅุลาคม TuklAkom October
พฤศจิกายน PreschitkAyon November
ธันวาคม ThanwAkom December

malayloveislam
06-02-2008, 01:02 PM

In Thai, month is called เดือน [dieOn]. Word คม [kom] indicates that the moon in the month is crescent. Word ยน [yon] indicates that the moon in that month is full moon, while word พันธ์ [pant] in February means when the moon is being binded. They can be omitted and most south Thais love to make things simple. We muslims in Kedah use Hijriah calender, those months are just for additional knowledge :statisfie

malayloveislam
06-02-2008, 01:27 PM

Try to use the things you had previously learned in the phrases below.

วันนี้วันที่สอ๋ง.
Wan nee wan tee sOng.
Today is the second day.
Hari ni hari kedua.

วันนี้วันจนทร์.
Wan nee wan chant.
Today is Monday.
Hari ni hari Senanyan

เดือนมิฏุนายน.
DieOn mitunAyn.
The month is June.
Bulan nam.

Vocab:
วัน [wan] : day
นี้ [Nee] : this
วันจนทร์ [wan chant] : Monday
เดือน [dieOn] : month
มิฏุนายน [MitunAyon] : June

malayloveislam
06-02-2008, 01:33 PM
I just remember the old word for Chicken Coop in Kedahan dialect used in my village, it is called Lau Ayam instead of Sangkaq Ayam or Qeban Ayam.

Lau Ayam is available in Thai, Chicken Coop is called เลาไก่ [Lau Kai].

Selising
06-09-2008, 02:03 PM

Wang
Neng
Song
Saam
Si [see]
Ha
Hok [hock]
Chet
Pek
Kau
Sip

Sip ek
Sip song
Sip saam
Sip si
Sip ha
Sip hok
Sip chet
Sip pek
Sip kau

it sounds like KAntonese
Yap
E
Sam
Se
Em
Lok
Chat
Pat
Kau
Sap

Mandarin is a bit different

E
Er
San
Sir
Wu
Liu
Qi
Ba
Qiu
Si

followed by
Si E
Si Er
Si San
Si Sir
Si Wu
Si Liu
Si Qi
Si Ba
Si Qiu
Er Si

Selising
06-09-2008, 02:37 PM
I'm the seventh generation of the Royal Southern Thai(Pattani) who migrated to Kelantan after being chased by the Siamese Kingdom. I'm not so clear about the history. I have a book about our history which was written in Jawi. Very small Jawi and very classic language, I was impatient to finish it. all the ladies carries name Naan and the men will use Long. My grandma uses Naan before her name. She married to my grandpa who is a normal people, so my dad and his siblings have to use Che' instead of Long before their name. My brothers from father's previous marriage uses Che'. My siblings and I, do not use it.

I don't really understand the history since we never mix with our second cousins our our fathers's cousins. The thing that I know is that they are very protocol and they use royal language, which my mom don't like it.

I only know that they lost the battle, and left for Kelantan. Their white elephant died somewhere in Pasir Puteh. They ran to Manir, Terengganu and settled there. The princess name was Naan Cayang. We cannot eat the big bamboo shoot(rebung buluh betung) since there was a spell to us if we consume it. One of the relative ate it and fell sick then he died. If I'm not mistaken he is just 2 generation up. The spell is until 7th generation and I am the 7th generation.

north_malaysian
06-10-2008, 07:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Selising
I'm the seventh generation of the Royal Southern Thai(Pattani) who migrated to Kelantan after being chased by the Siamese Kingdom. I'm not so clear about the history. I have a book about our history which was written in Jawi. Very small Jawi and very classic language, I was impatient to finish it. all the ladies carries name Naan and the men will use Long. My grandma uses Naan before her name. She married to my grandpa who is a normal people, so my dad and his siblings have to use Che' instead of Long before their name. My brothers from father's previous marriage uses Che'. My siblings and I, do not use it.

I don't really understand the history since we never mix with our second cousins our our fathers's cousins. The thing that I know is that they are very protocol and they use royal language, which my mom don't like it.

I only know that they lost the battle, and left for Kelantan. Their white elephant died somewhere in Pasir Puteh. They ran to Manir, Terengganu and settled there. The princess name was Naan Cayang. We cannot eat the big bamboo shoot(rebung buluh betung) since there was a spell to us if we consume it. One of the relative ate it and fell sick then he died. If I'm not mistaken he is just 2 generation up. The spell is until 7th generation and I am the 7th generation.
Do you hate the Siamese for chasing the Pattanis away?

And we northerners are striving to call ourselves as Thais...

malayloveislam
06-11-2008, 03:26 PM

Yes brother Selinsing, Thai is an ethnic actually in Thailand, supposed to be written as T'ai in roman script. In Thai language, Thai ethnic is called Mieo.

Mieo is an ethnic from southern China. Their first kingdom Sukhothai began in 12th century, they have been in north SEA since 7th century. They are pushed down due to Monggolian or Yuan dynasty invasion in Southern China. Their kingdoms were on Khmers hegemony area.

Siam or Sayam is the Thais empire name, used by the Sukhothai dynasty - Chakri dynasty before being changed to Thailand in 19th century. Today, Thai is used to identify people of various ethnics including the Malays in south as the citizen of Thailand.

Ayuttaya dynasty succeeded Sukhothai dynasty with the help of Angkor dynasty from Cambodia in 13th century, Ayuttaya is another Thai kingdom, still using the name Siam for their nation. At this time, Parameswara of Shailendra dynasty from Sumatera came to Malacca in south most.

Siam is etymologically from Sai-Am or Xian if I'm not mistaken, a dialect used in Szechuan, China. Xian is believed to be the place where T'ai ethnic originated from. Mieo or T'ai people are still visible in South China until today.

Patanese are ancient Malays, they are the last fort of Langkasuka. Langkasuka was established in Kedah around 1st century before the capital was moved to Patani or Reman in Yala, being a vassal kingdom of Phnom-Chenlar from Cambodia until 7th century. Then was attacked by Sriwijaya of Palembang in 7th century.

Kedahans are originally ancient Malays too. But, influenced by Siamese due to Ayuttaya Thai invasion in 13th century, after that suffered being a vassal under Chakri dynasty from 16th century - 18th century.

In 16th century too, Kedah was attacked by Achehnese who was ruled by Iskandar Thani.

Maybe some inter-marriage happened like what happened to me as the result of Thai speaking people today in Kedah.

Langkasuka covered today Kedah, Kelantan, Patani, Nakon Si Tammarat, on the other hand vast area of Southern Thailand and northern Malaysia.

Kedah becoming seperate kingdom from Langkasuka around 5th century, but still brother to Langkasuka and Patani.

malayloveislam
06-11-2008, 03:31 PM
There are Muslim Thais, they considered themselves as Malays and adopting Malay culture but leaving not Thai as their mother tongue in Kedah. Muslim Thai speaking peaple are in Kubang Pasu area and Pendang. Some of them are in Perlis.

Most of them are just peasants. While some of them like in Sik snd Baling are Patanese and Malay, their sub-dialect is a mixture of Kedahan dialect and Patanese.

There are also buddhist Thai speaking community everywhere in Kedah but they distinguih themselves according to their religion.

Ethnicity in Kedah is a bit difficult to figure out since Kedah's history is long and involved in many ancient wars :exhausted

north_malaysian
06-12-2008, 05:54 AM
There are Muslim Thais, they considered themselves as Malays and adopting Malay culture but leaving not Thai as their mother tongue in Kedah. Muslim Thai speaking peaple are in Kubang Pasu area and Pendang. Some of them are in Perlis.

Most of them are just peasants. While some of them like in Sik snd Baling are Patanese and Malay, their sub-dialect is a mixture of Kedahan dialect and Patanese.

There are also buddhist Thai speaking community everywhere in Kedah but they distinguih themselves according to their religion.

Ethnicity in Kedah is a bit difficult to figure out since Kedah's history is long and involved in many ancient wars :exhausted
Most Malays in eastern and northern coastal areas on Penang Island are Aceh people (my father's side belongs to this group)... is it true that most Malays in Kedah coastal area (from Kuala Muda to Kuala Kedah) are Aceh people too...

malayloveislam
06-12-2008, 06:48 AM
Most Malays in eastern and northern coastal areas on Penang Island are Aceh people (my father's side belongs to this group)... is it true that most Malays in Kedah coastal area (from Kuala Muda to Kuala Kedah) are Aceh people too...
Might be the people are with Acheh ancestry. There is a place called Sg. Acheh in Penang mainland. The place where Acheh people landed around late 17th - 18th century to escape from Dutch or in search for better life maybe, because I found that some of them are religious people.

Mr. Sanusi Juned is a pure Achehnese, since he speak in Achehnese at home. I heard people talking about him.

Acheh too had attacked Kedah in 16th century because their king was betrayed by Kedah king in the matter of Kedah kings daughter's marriage.

north_malaysian
06-12-2008, 07:52 AM
Might be the people are with Acheh ancestry. There is a place called Sg. Acheh in Penang mainland. The place where Acheh people landed around late 17th - 18th century to escape from Dutch or in search for better life maybe, because I found that some of them are religious people.

Mr. Sanusi Juned is a pure Achehnese, since he speak in Achehnese at home. I heard people talking about him.

Acheh too had attacked Kedah in 16th century because their king was betrayed by Kedah king in the matter of Kedah kings daughter's marriage.
In the eastern part of Penang Island there is a small town called Pantai Aceh. Most of the Acehnese arrived in Penang via this town. Plus, Arab, Persian, Malay and Turk of Aceh descendants live mainly in Lebuh Acheh in Georgetown. They built the Masjid Melayu (the first Malay speaking mosque in Georgetown). There are many Islamic bookstores in this road. The Acehnese were very religious, but because of the cosmopolitan life of Penang .. many became less practising. We no longer speak Acehnese.

But the Acehnese in Balik Pulau are very conservative when it comes to marriage. No body could marry the maidens of Balik Pulau except Balik Pulau (including Teluk Bahang and Batu Feringghi) men. The maidens of Balik Pulau are well know as the most beautiful people in Penang as they are fair-skinned. According to that stupid custom, I'm eligible to marry one of them...:D

I'm known as "Orang Pulau Pinang Jati"....because I'm considered as Balik Pulau people....:D

But I dont consider myself as Balik Pulau people as I dont speak their dialect which is so "funny"....:exhausted... furthermore my mum is not a Balik Pulau people...

malayloveislam
06-12-2008, 09:57 AM
hmmm, another part in Kedah with Acheh community is in Ruat area near Merbok, that place is a coastal area in Kedah. I love visiting that coastals area but sadly Pantai Murni in Yan is not preserved well and thrash littering the Food Court there. The places is suitable for tourism. Hope that PAS government could help improving that area better than BN.

north_malaysian
06-13-2008, 03:13 AM
hmmm, another part in Kedah with Acheh community is in Ruat area near Merbok, that place is a coastal area in Kedah. I love visiting that coastals area but sadly Pantai Murni in Yan is not preserved well and thrash littering the Food Court there. The places is suitable for tourism. Hope that PAS government could help improving that area better than BN.
On the way from Yan town to Tanjung Dawai... the scenery was so cool with lots of coconut trees..

But tanjong dawai's beach was so dirty and oily...but I managed to see 3 dolphins jumping and swimming in the dirty sea...

Do you know that in 1950s there were whales in the northern coast of penang?

malayloveislam
07-16-2008, 03:45 PM
On the way from Yan town to Tanjung Dawai... the scenery was so cool with lots of coconut trees..

But tanjong dawai's beach was so dirty and oily...but I managed to see 3 dolphins jumping and swimming in the dirty sea...

Do you know that in 1950s there were whales in the northern coast of penang?
I wish that I can see the whales, too bad that we can't see them anymore.

malayloveislam
07-16-2008, 03:49 PM
New simple phrase:

Chan mai klab mahawichalai

Saya baru pulang ke universiti

I just came back to the university

Vocabulary

Chan - Saya, I

Mai - baru, just

Klab - pulang, come back

Mahawichalai - universiti, university

I think it is much better for the beginners to learn vocabs through simple phrases, don't worry if it is grammatically wrong, Thai in southern part is not as strict as in Central part :D

north_malaysian
07-21-2008, 01:37 AM
Mahawichalai - universiti, university
How to say "International Islamic University Malaysia"

malayloveislam
07-22-2008, 11:09 AM
How to say "International Islamic University Malaysia"
A very good question concerning modern terminologies and it is challenging too as Thais in Malaysia especially Muslim Thai had a very rare contact with Thai citizen, we are more Malay than Thai in spirit although we speak Thai at home :okay:. I checked this one with a Thai national friend and it is like this:

Islamic International University

Mahawichalai Islam Nanachat, Malaysia

มหาวิทยาลัยอิสลามนานาชาติ, มาเลเซีย

Malay structure is:

Universiti Islam Antarabangsa, Malaysia

Thai and Malay had similar phrase structure, hooray :D

vocab

มหาวิทยาลัย - pronounced as Mahawichalai in southern
dialect spoken in Kedah, but formally, it is
Mahawitalai, means University.

อิสลาม - Islam

นานาชาติ - Nanachat, means International or Inter-race. This
word is an adjective. Another word for
international is ระหว่างประเทศ
means between countries and it is a noun.

malayloveislam
07-22-2008, 02:27 PM

Sorry I didnt provide the transliteration of the Thai alternative word of Nanachat. It is uttered as Rahkwang Prahkted or Rawang Pratet.

north_malaysian
07-27-2008, 01:34 AM
thanks for translating that... what is "Malaysia" in Thai?

malayloveislam
07-28-2008, 03:20 PM
thanks for translating that... what is "Malaysia" in Thai?
It is still Malaysia, but you pronounce it as Male-sia like Kelantanese use to pronounce it. If you want to say Negara Malaysia, it is Prahkthet Malaysia. Prahkthet is spelled in Thai like Indian spelling Pradesh as in Uttar Pradesh or Madhya Pradesh :D

malayloveislam
09-02-2008, 11:56 PM

It has been a while I didn't updated this thread, I had found some interesting lesson and this is Standard Thai, I guess the tranliteration is much better than mine so the respective viewers can at least figure out the sound of Thai. Still I am going to introduce South Thais expressions and vocabulary. Enjoy the lesson:

Colour See

The Thai word for colour is "See". The structure of saying Red Color "See" is placed in front of colors.

For example: Red is "See Daeng" or "Color Red"

If you want to say "light pink" you would say "See Chompoo Aorn"

Light Aorn

Dark Gae

White Kow

Beige Keem

Yellow Lueang

Orange Som

Red Daeng

Pink Chom Poo

Light Blue Fa

Blue Nam Ngern

Violet Muang

Green Kiaw

Brown Nam Dtan

Grey Tow

Black Dam

Silver Ngern

Gold Tong

Example of Sentences

1. What color do you like?

Khoon chawp see a-rai?

2. I like white.

Pom chawp see kow

The Thai word for "I" is "Pom" and is only used by men.

Women should say "Chan" among friends or "Di-chan" if they want to be more polite or formal.

north_malaysian
09-03-2008, 12:22 AM
how about Ramadan and Eid greetings in Thai?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.