/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hijab and Naked Tribes in Africa/Amazon

AntiKarateKid
05-14-2008, 12:18 AM
Hey, everytime there is a debate about this, someone always brings up the nakes tribes and claim that they get along fine without clothing so why force people to wear hijab. What is the proper response to this?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
snakelegs
05-15-2008, 02:30 AM
hehehe - the things you come up with!!!
you don't wear hijaab because you "can't get along fine without it", but because you are told to by god. see how easy that was? :D

TrueStranger
05-15-2008, 02:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
hehehe - the things you come up with!!!
you don't wear hijaab because you "can't get along fine without it", but because you are told to by god. see how easy that was? :D
Are you sure you aren’t a muslim???:D

snakelegs
05-15-2008, 03:05 AM
yep, but i get asked that a lot! :giggling:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
TrueStranger
05-15-2008, 03:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
yep, but i get asked that a lot! :giggling:
It is a wonderful compliment. :D

Hope you come around…..

snakelegs
05-15-2008, 03:55 AM
that's just how i take it.

Muslim Knight
05-15-2008, 11:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AntiKarateKid
What is the proper response to this?

"Get a job?"

Sorry. Couldn't resist popping up that joke.

Malaikah
05-15-2008, 01:10 PM
:sl:

Why don't you ask them what is stopping them from stripping off naked right at that moment, after all, it works for these tribes, right, so why don't they follow along?

Keltoi
05-16-2008, 11:28 PM
I think the point would be that there isn't a natural state of shame to human nakedness. It is culturally learned behavior.

However, I do agree that the reason a people would feel shame at their own nakedness would be because they are taught to be ashamed, whether one wants to attribute that to God or society.

جوري
05-16-2008, 11:50 PM
I'll put the 'reversion to our unshamed state' in the suggestion box and see how everyone turns out on monday.. I am sure it will prove interesting...

Umar001
05-21-2008, 06:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
I think the point would be that there isn't a natural state of shame to human nakedness. It is culturally learned behavior.
Or maybe there is a natural state, but culturally learned behaviour overrides the natural state?

The power of the influence of those around an individual from childhood is amazing.

Mikayeel
05-21-2008, 06:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
Or maybe there is a natural state, but culturally learned behaviour overrides the natural state?

The power of the influence of those around an individual from childhood is amazing.
MashAllah grt post!

Snowflake
06-13-2008, 11:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AntiKarateKid
Hey, everytime there is a debate about this, someone always brings up the nakes tribes and claim that they get along fine without clothing so why force people to wear hijab. What is the proper response to this?
The naked tribes do not respond to nudity like civilised people do. Being naked for them is a natural state and not related to sexual desire. Anthropologists have not noted higher promiscuity, birth rate, or more sexual activity in naked tribes than in clothed people.

However, in civilised societies the learned response to nudity is sexual desire. Not many would dispute that. Being in regions where this response is the norm, calls for protection of oneself which in Islam is through observing hijab.

So, one may ask would hijab be needed where nudity is not relative to sexual desire?

The answer is yes! But why?

The answer is in the Quran.

As Allah says, ‘....Surely he sees you, he and his tribe, from where you see them not..." (Quran-7:27)

The verse here refers to the jinn community, who inhabit the whole earth. Nakedness is appreciated by the shayateen. This is why a muslim must recite, 'Bismillah' before getting undressed.

*Anas (ra) reports from Rasulullah (SAW) that when a person undresses for the purpose of relieving himself, or bathing or having relations with his/her spouse, the shaytaan interfere and plays with his/her private parts. If he/she says 'Bismillah' before taking off the clothes, then this serves as a barrier and safety from the shayateen and jinns.*

By commanding us to clothe ourselves Allah isn't condemming nudity, but protecting us from what He knows is harmful to us. Whether that be peoples' response to nudity, the shayateens interference, or anything else, a muslim knows that Allah has ordained for us, only that is beneficial for us.

wa alaikum asalam wr wb.

aamirsaab
06-13-2008, 12:03 PM
Reason why it works in that tribe is because EVERYONE is doing it. It's essentially conformity - everyone is doing it, no shame in it thus it is normal and society is fine.

Though the argument in question is sort of weird; you're comparing two extremes (fully clothed aka hijab and nek-ed) and saying if one exists the other shouldn't (effectively). Perhaps a better argument would be well if society can work fine without clothing why should we wear clothes (as opposed to why wear the hijab, which is the exact polar opposite of bein nek-ed)

MSalman
06-14-2008, 12:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

Why don't you ask them what is stopping them from stripping off naked right at that moment, after all, it works for these tribes, right, so why don't they follow along?
Wa'alykum As-Salam
Couldn't have said it better, mashallah, very good response sister!

highlander
07-15-2008, 09:37 PM
hmm...makes me think a little.

Does it mean all the devil and bad jinn population should gather up around the naked tribes...amazing that there's so many signs of deviltry in civilised world-(fully/or partially clothed people i mean, regardless the religion they belong to) and so little among those tribes...

Keltoi
07-16-2008, 12:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by highlander
hmm...makes me think a little.

Does it mean all the devil and bad jinn population should gather up around the naked tribes...amazing that there's so many signs of deviltry in civilised world-(fully/or partially clothed people i mean, regardless the religion they belong to) and so little among those tribes...
I suppose that would depend upon one's idea of "deviltry". It is true that the rate of violence is lower, as is the population in question, but all other human ills still exist among "uncivilized" tribes. The difference is that their idea of what constitutes bad behavior is much different than our own. I know that many Amazonian tribes don't see a moral problem with having multiple sexual relationships outside of marriage.

highlander
07-16-2008, 08:29 AM
Regarding the amazonian tribes and and the sexual affairs outside married life, I can add that neither most of the civilised people- usually male population has no problem with behaving in this manner.

But i think we are out of topic. Even born and raised in west, I addopted the islamic ideas about fully clothing especially in Asia. The hijab as I noticed is helping alot outdoors, talking strictly about this part of the world. In Europe or US for example we all know it is forbidden in alot of schools, let alone outside you are given all the bad looks if people spot you with hijab.

In the end we should admire the strenght of those women who stick to their belief and wear the hijab in countries like US or UK or whaterver other. Also maybe those tribes should be left alone with their belief and customs. They certainly cannot harm anyone.

My question is whether these two habits really suffer any comparision.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.