PDA

View Full Version : kosher meat

innocent
05-14-2008, 04:46 PM
Can muslims eat kosher?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AntiKarateKid
05-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Yea, we can, its almost the same thing i believe.

aadil77
05-14-2008, 08:36 PM
I don't think so^ , jews do their own prayers on it, as no muslim is present saying bismillah and sacrificing it, it becomes haraam

crayon
05-14-2008, 09:08 PM
"Originally, a Muslim should try his best to seek a halal store, and he will find that there are some stores that provide high quality halal meat. Also, it is better for the Muslim to contact the nearest Islamic center in his area of residence to inquire about the halal food lists so as to be on the safe side.

Responding to your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states the following:

"Kosher meat, strictly speaking, is considered halal. But this rule, it should be emphasized, does not apply indiscriminately to all kosher foods that are prepared and labeled as kosher, since it is possible they may contain wine or other ingredients that are considered haram. It is, therefore, necessary that we stringently inquire into the components of each food that is labeled as kosher; if a food is found to be free of haram ingredients, it shall be considered halal (permitted). Otherwise, it will be haram (forbidden) for us to consume.

If we don’t inquire into the details of the ingredients and the way kosher foods have been prepared, we may end up inadvertently eating what is haram—as happened to one of our sisters who was in a hospital in Toronto. She was served a kosher meal and consumed it thinking it was halal, but later she discovered that it had been prepared with wine.

Setting aside the jurisprudential aspects of kosher being halal or not, before deciding to purchase and consume kosher products, we should also take into consideration another important sociopolitical issue: by purchasing kosher foods, are we indirectly supporting the systematic displacement and genocide of our Palestinian brothers and sisters? This is not to say that this consideration renders purchasing kosher products haram, but it is to say that perhaps our economic power could be used more wisely.

Finally, if one was to objectively survey one’s local food retail landscape, there is clearly no shortage of vendors of Muslim halal products. Therefore, it is quite evident that circumstances requiring one to purchase kosher instead of Muslim halal would be few and far between." "

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503547478

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Fishman
05-14-2008, 09:14 PM
:sl:
It's slaughtered in exactly the same way, and the Jews read a prayer with a similar message to the bismillah itself...
:w:

aadil77
05-14-2008, 09:20 PM
If the animal isn't sacrificed in the name of Allah, then how can it be halal?

Thats just the same as the playing a recorded tape sayin 'bismillah', sacrificed the right way but not by a muslim actually saying it, everyone knows that isn't halal, so there's no way kosher can be halal, as also jews do their own prayers on it

'Abd al-Baari
05-14-2008, 09:36 PM
Assalamu Alaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakaatuh,

Praise be to Allaah.

The scholars agree unanimously that it is permissible to eat the meat of the People of the Book, Jews and Christians, if the name of Allaah is mentioned at the time of slaughter, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “Eat not of that (meat) on which Allaah’s Name has not been pronounced (at the time of slaughtering of the animal)…” [al-An’aam 6:121]. If the person mentioned a name other than that of Allaah, such as the name of ‘Uzayr or of the Messiah, then it is not permissible to eat of it, because of the general meaning of the aayah (interpretation of the meaning): “He has forbidden you… that which is slaughtered as a sacrifice for others than Allaah.” [al-Baqarah 2:173].

It is also a condition that the meat should be slaughtered in the manner prescribed by sharee’ah. If it is known that the slaughter was not done in the proper Islamic manner, e.g., by strangulation or electric shock and so on, then it is haraam.

As for the claim that some make, that it is enough merely to mention the name of Allaah when eating, this was reported regarding some Muslims who were new in Islam. The Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them) asked the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) about this, saying, “O Messenger of Allaah, some people who are new in Islam brought us some meat, and we do not know whether they mentioned the name of Allaah over it or not.” The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Say the name of Allaah over it and eat it.” (Reported by al-Bukhaari). The command should be understood as meaning that one should be on the safe side, provided that one does not know beforehand that the meat is not slaughtered properly. And Allaah knows best.
Islam Q&A

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Fishman
05-14-2008, 09:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
If the animal isn't sacrificed in the name of Allah, then how can it be halal?
Jews also believe in Allah...

MustafaMc
05-14-2008, 09:44 PM
The Jew worships the One God as we do and as the Christians also claim. Allah has made permissible eating food of the "People of the Book" as long as it does not include haram ingredients like swine, alcohol, or blood.

Quran 5:5 Today all good clean things have been made lawful for you; and the food of the People of the Book is also made lawful for you and your food is made lawful for them.

aadil77
05-15-2008, 04:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
Jews also believe in Allah...
oh ok :thumbs_up

its a good altenative for muslims then

Fishman
05-16-2008, 09:41 AM
oh ok :thumbs_up

its a good altenative for muslims then
Its probably better to eat halal as:
1. Halal meat is slaughtered according to the proper Islamic Bismillah, Jews use their own prayer
2. If the Jews are right-wing Jews (either Orthodox or right-wing unorthodox) the money will probably end up being sent to Israel. Some unorthodox Jews actually believe that the state of Israel is the messiah, so they would support it no matter what. Others are more moderate, and are against Israeli war crimes and atrocities but still believe that Israel is necessary as a place Jews can go to to escape persecutions.

snakelegs
05-16-2008, 04:54 PM
where did you hear of jews who believe that the state of israel is the messiah? (the way some feel about it, it might as well be). i've never heard of this!

Fishman
05-16-2008, 09:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
where did you hear of jews who believe that the state of israel is the messiah? (the way some feel about it, it might as well be). i've never heard of this!
Religious studies. Some unorthodox Jews do, but orthodox ones don't.

snakelegs
05-16-2008, 11:09 PM
unless you can give me some proof, i don't believe that any jew anywhere believes that a state is the messiah!

'Abd al-Baari
05-17-2008, 07:11 AM
:sl: / Greetings,

Just a quick reminder, please stay on topic . Any off topic posts will be deleted. :)

Jazakumullahu Khayr

MustafaMc
05-17-2008, 12:44 PM
Its probably better to eat halal as:
The question was, "Can muslims eat kosher?". From this statement I understood that the questioner was asking if the food is halal (permissible), haram (forbidden) or makru (disliked). The Quran clearly states that the food of the "People of the Book" is halal. We are not to forbid something that Allah has allowed just as we are not to allow something that He has forbidden.
1. Halal meat is slaughtered according to the proper Islamic Bismillah, Jews use their own prayer
Actually, the proper term is zabiha for meat slaughtered Islamically, which of course is also halal. At least, Jews believe in One God and do not slaughter, "In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit" or "In the Name of Jesus." At least the Jew does not consume swine flesh as practically every Christian does.

crayon
05-17-2008, 12:48 PM
I've got a somewhat related question. I've heard that at times where there is no halal meat available at all, it is permissible to eat any meat available provided you say bismillah before eating it, is this true? If it is, wouldn't it just be common sense to just not eat meat until you can find some halal kind? Like eat veggies, beans, rice, etc.

aadil77
05-17-2008, 02:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
I've got a somewhat related question. I've heard that at times where there is no halal meat available at all, it is permissible to eat any meat available provided you say bismillah before eating it, is this true? If it is, wouldn't it just be common sense to just not eat meat until you can find some halal kind? Like eat veggies, beans, rice, etc.
Yes but only if thats the only food around and its a life/death situation

MustafaMc
05-17-2008, 03:03 PM
... wouldn't it just be common sense to just not eat meat until you can find some halal kind? Like eat veggies, beans, rice, etc.
Recently, my wife and I have chosen to eat only zabiha meat, vegetables, fish or seafood, but I personally would have no problem with certified kosher meat. We choose, in general, to not consume beef, poultry or lamb from USA supermarkets or restaurants except those special ones that serve zabiha meat.

aadil77
05-17-2008, 03:40 PM

by 'zabiha' do you just mean 'halal'?

crayon
05-17-2008, 04:38 PM
Yes but only if thats the only food around and its a life/death situation
Not necessarily, I've heard that if for example you live in a really small town where there's just several other muslims (and by several I mean 3, 4, 5,etc.), then it's okay to eat any meat.

Jazaka Allah Khair for your reply, Mustafa.

Fishman
05-17-2008, 04:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MustafaMc
The question was, "Can muslims eat kosher?". From this statement I understood that the questioner was asking if the food is halal (permissible), haram (forbidden) or makru (disliked). The Quran clearly states that the food of the "People of the Book" is halal. We are not to forbid something that Allah has allowed just as we are not to allow something that He has forbidden.
Notice I said 'better', not forbidden. I never said that it was haram to eat Jewish food. I didn't even say it was makrooh.

Fishman
05-17-2008, 04:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
unless you can give me some proof, i don't believe that any jew anywhere believes that a state is the messiah!
Can't seem to find evidence on the internet. However, my religious studies teacher does know a lot about Judaism as he once considered converting to the religion. He didn't and stayed a Christian though.

MustafaMc
05-17-2008, 05:51 PM

by 'zabiha' do you just mean 'halal'?
Good question, according to http://www.islamic-dictionary.com/

Dhabeeha (zabiha) - An animal slaughtered in the Islamic way making it suitable for Muslim consumption (Halal).

Halal - Permissible, lawful. Used especially in referance to food.

An allowed animal slaughtered Islamically (zabiha) is by definition allowed (halal), but not all permissible meat is necessarily zabiha, for example meat from allowed animals from "People of the Book". However, this definitely does not include pork products such as bacon, ham, sausage, pepperoni, hot dogs, chitterlings (intestines), tripe (stomach), pickled pig feet, barbecue ribs or things cooked with alcohol (wine, beer, bourbon whiskey).

MustafaMc
05-17-2008, 05:52 PM
Notice I said 'better', not forbidden. I never said that it was haram to eat Jewish food. I didn't even say it was makrooh.
I agree with you in both respects and thank you for the clarification.

Sadiyah
05-17-2008, 07:28 PM
Salam walalaikum.
It wasn't until just recently I had taken interest
in Kosher meat after reading from this website and
learning exactly how the meat is slaughtered.
http://www.jewfaq.org/kashrut.htm
I too would only eat Zabiha meat and sea foods.
What I would like to know is where does it
state that Kosher meat is permissable to eat.

Allah Hafiz

format_quote Originally Posted by MustafaMc
Recently, my wife and I have chosen to eat only zabiha meat, vegetables, fish or seafood, but I personally would have no problem with certified kosher meat. We choose, in general, to not consume beef, poultry or lamb from USA supermarkets or restaurants except those special ones that serve zabiha meat.

snakelegs
05-17-2008, 09:59 PM
Can't seem to find evidence on the internet. However, my religious studies teacher does know a lot about Judaism as he once considered converting to the religion. He didn't and stayed a Christian though.
he's wrong on this one.

Khalisah
05-30-2008, 12:01 PM
Not necessarily, I've heard that if for example you live in a really small town where there's just several other muslims (and by several I mean 3, 4, 5,etc.), then it's okay to eat any meat.

Jazaka Allah Khair for your reply, Mustafa.
In a little village with only a few muslims, and no halal meat store wouldn't it be safer to just become a vegetarian, and avoid the worry of wondering how the meat in the shops have been slaughtered? In most places, you could Im sure go and speak to the butchers, and see if they would let you accomapny them to slaughter meat, and ask them to let you say 'In the name of Allah'..beforehand?
Abû `Abd Allah al-Nu`mân b. Bashîr relates that he heard Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) say: “That which is lawful is clear and that which is unlawful is clear. Between the two are doubtful matters that few people have knowledge about. Whoever avoids these doubtful matters absolves himself of blame with respect to his religion and his honor. Whoever falls into doubtful things will fall into what is unlawful, just like the shepherd who grazes his flock too close to a private pasture is liable to have some of his flock stray into it. Every king has a private pasture, and Allah’s private pasture is what he has prohibited. Verily, in the body is a small piece of flesh that if it is healthy, the whole body is healthy and if it is sick, the whole body is sick. This small piece of flesh is the heart.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Muslim]
I don't know..

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.